Community > Posts By > driftingLuke

driftingLuke's photo
Sun 05/31/15 10:17 AM

I am usually interested in 'consistency' and 'balance', so I wonder on many things that seem inconsistent,, such as the following

IF we accept (in general) that its automatically an unequal paring if a man and woman have a physical altercation,, so much to the point, that no matter what she has done, his placing hands on her is monstrous,,,

WHY do we allow women to fight in wars,, with so many men actually trained to 'kill' them?

or are women just privvy to deciding when they are 'helpless' against a man and when they aren't and everyone else is obligated to support whichever side they fall on at the time?

We ALLOW women to fight in wars because we are forced to by political correctness and in response to a very small minority of women who scream for it. We have no choice because they are equals. Personally, as a former Marine of 28 years, women do NOT belong in combat. They are a distraction and a hazard in that environment.

What really eats me up is discussion about "alternate standards" for women. BS...you can do the job or you can't. I don't want my sorry *** depending on someone who only had to prove they can do do 65% of what I had to prove I can do, man or woman. Also, women have to request to be assigned to a ground unit. For men that's the automatic default position.

I'm sure there are women out there who could kick my *** in hand-to-hand combat, but by and large I'm willing to say against average women I'll prevail about 99.9% of the time. Against average men? Maybe 90%, not because I'm some Johnny Rambo or anything like that, but because I've been in training for just such a scenario for 28 friggin' years, while 90% of men have not. Put me in a cage against MMA fighters and the percentage will drop substantially, I'll likely get my *** handed to me. Wherein lies the crux...I know my limits and that I don't belong in that world. I wouldn't ask them to lower their standards to allow me to participate.

As for giving birth being an indicator toughness, after a woman gives birth, within an hour or so they're happily cradling their little bundle of joy in their arms and smiling for the camera. There's a HUGE difference between that and the pain of being shot, tied up and beaten, or hit by an IED, both physically and psychologically. Of the scenarios provided, I've never given birth, so I guess you could say my statement is speculative.

Then again, after a woman gives birth, after a year or so she may ask, "Why don't we have another kid!" I can't think of a man saying, "Please kick me in the 'nads again!"

driftingLuke's photo
Sun 05/31/15 09:25 AM
Mind your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

You wouldn't worry nearly so much about what other people think about you if you knew how seldom they do.

driftingLuke's photo
Sat 05/30/15 05:36 PM
Edited by driftingLuke on Sat 05/30/15 05:49 PM
Here's my "most missed list."

Frankie and Dino, those men just exuded class and style. (Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin) I would love to be able to go back in time to "their" Las Vegas. Every song they sang became a "golden classic."

Joe Cocker: Great music, "Hitchcock Railway," "With A Little Help From My Friends," "You Can Leave Your Hat On," "Feelin' Alright." He was on my bucket list of artists to see. I didn't make it.

Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams, George Jones, Marty Robins. All the music I grew up on in rural Texas, can't believe these legends are all gone.

Speaking of Robins, Robin Williams...man I loved me some Mork and Mindy. Who remembers the egg scene, episode one, "Fly be free!" Or Mork's debut in Happy Days battling Fonzie's "cool" with his extra-terrestrial powers? Looks kinda' corny now, but funny as hell at the time.

Buddy Holly, left before I arrived but I love his music. "I hope your plane crashes." Last words Waylon Jennings said to Buddy Holly. Haunted Waylon the rest of his life. I think it was a coin-toss that sealed Buddy's fate and spared Waylon.

Ritchie Valens. Who doesn't like "La Bamba?" "Oh Donna," "We Belong Together." Died in the same plane crash as Buddy Holly.

J.P. Richardson. "The Big Bopper," wrote and sang "Chantilly Lace," shared a plane ride with Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.

Most recently, BB King...another artist I never thought I'd know life without. Proves we're all mortal. I saw him and Lucille, along with Aretha Franklin, at the New Orleans Jazz Festival about 25 years ago. Great show, a tireless entertainer. The man gave everything he had for the audience, didn't hold anything back, and left the stage physically exhausted.

John Wayne. C'mon, ya' gotta' love the Duke.

Elvis
John Lennon
George Harrison

Seriously, music wouldn't be where it is now without the influence of these three.

driftingLuke's photo
Sat 05/30/15 01:49 PM
Edited by driftingLuke on Sat 05/30/15 02:02 PM
New here, Hi everybody. I'm new to the office setting, but so far my favorite is making people THINK they overheard something. Walking up the stairs at my office building I frequently am with someone I know, we're usually chatting about whatever, and sometimes there's another person we don't know going down the stairs. As we pass in the hall I'll blurt out random phrases to whoever I'm talking with, just to make the other person wonder just what the hell we were talking about. Some of my favorites are:

"So I had to ask the guy,"what's with the monkey?"
"Why Coconuts? Do they feel better?"
"So then I knew what the banana was for."
"Does that kind of stain wash out?"
"Shhhh...there he is."
"The pony was OK but the mule hurt like hell."
"Still got that cat in your freezer?"

Of course, I'm also the same guy who put "baby Nike's" on the feet of all the belly-up dead armadillos on the highway between Waco and Stephenville.

driftingLuke's photo
Sat 05/30/15 03:59 AM

Constructive? You just killed a deer. That's like running someone over and asking how well you drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cFtSPIF4Q

driftingLuke's photo
Sat 05/30/15 03:58 AM

Constructive? You just killed a deer. That's like running someone over and asking how well you drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cFtSPIF4Q

driftingLuke's photo
Fri 05/29/15 05:01 PM
Edited by driftingLuke on Fri 05/29/15 05:21 PM
Tmommy: You are most welcome of my service, as well,I'm sure, as those who served with me. I appreciate that very much. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe a few times I'd duck faster! lol

SitkaRains, I can only hope. 28 years a Marine? LOL, lot's for a woman to work on, to say the least!

driftingLuke's photo
Fri 05/29/15 03:16 PM
Edited by driftingLuke on Fri 05/29/15 03:27 PM
TMommy, that particular deer turned out to be a 9-point. Had a broken off tine. These ladies have indeed given me outstanding assistance, can't thank them enough. I practiced smiling in front of a mirror...best I could manage was a little smirk. Boot camp photo? Good idea. I haven't seen my boot-camp photo in 20 some-odd years, but I'll try to dig it up. If I can't find it, I know where one is. My mother has it on her mantle still. Speaking of which, to make matters worse...I'm a 5th generation Marine. It's pretty much instilled and it will take a bit to beat me into civility. I'm afraid I'm borderline feral. I am mostly housebroke, though.

PacificStar48: Ooh Rah, ma'am. (Google it)

driftingLuke's photo
Fri 05/29/15 02:27 PM
PacificStar, permission to cut and paste ma'am?!? That is absolutely fantastic! Hell, I almost want to date myself reading that! Thank you VERY much for your help and kind words. You turned my "five paragraph order" (Google it) into poetry. I cannot thank you enough.

driftingLuke's photo
Fri 05/29/15 02:23 PM
Edited by driftingLuke on Fri 05/29/15 02:54 PM
SitkaRains, don't hold back. Upon re-reading my profile I see your point. It reads like I'm yelling at one of my troops. I joined the Marines in '86, and have pretty much been involved in shooting wars since 1988. I'm carrying around so much scrap metal I practically rattle when I walk and can't pass through a metal detector naked. Loving tenderness isn't exactly my strong point, but I'm working on it! Thank you very much for your critique! I look forward to seeing you around on the message boards.

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 01:19 PM
"You wouldn't worry so much about what people think about you if you realized how seldom they do."

There are no Atheists in foxholes.

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 01:05 PM
Edited by driftingLuke on Thu 05/28/15 01:11 PM
She's not asking about a "man-cave." She's asking about a man going on a hunting or fishing trip without their significant other for a few days and not worrying about her while he's gone, or that his absence will cause irreparable harm to the relationship. More specifically, about a man needing this away time.

A man should want to be a part of a woman's life, and a woman a man's. Absent one from the other, there should remain a whole life. I would never offer a woman half a life. I have a whole life in which I'm very secure, I'll happily offer it up to the right woman, I expect the same in return.

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 11:26 AM
I didn't know Air Supply ever purported to be metal, so not them. Probably "Quiet Riot." It seems their only intention was to pop out a couple top-40's and quit trying. Def Leppard is a strong second. I like their music, but they were "riding the fence" when it came to going full metal, and never picked a side. Or I guess they did, actually?

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 11:19 AM
Oh hell yes.

Foreigner "4"
Journey
Soundtrack to "Heavy Metal"
Loverboy
Styx
Cheap Trick
Blondie
Air Supply
Christopher Cross
Dr. Hook
Kenny Loggins
the Cars
Billy Joel
Queen
Night Ranger

Not to mention:

Waylon
Willie
Hank Jr.
George
George (different George)
Tom
Dick
Harry

The 80's was a very prolific decade for music.

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 11:00 AM
I'm actually "Luke The Drifter." Got the name off an old Hank Williams album. I've had this name since about 98, but it's taken here and elsewhere so I try to play on it.

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 10:46 AM
Looking for a little constructive criticism. I'm new here. I didn't post in my profile that I'm a former Marine. Does that sort of information tend to help or hinder? Also, I already know my pics absolutely SUCK!!!! One has a dead animal in it, the other looks like a mug-shot.

driftingLuke's photo
Thu 05/28/15 09:17 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, but I think I can help this fellow out. You got a boat? If so, and I'm not kidding, fish Lake Waco. Find the dam (it's not hard to find, launch at Speegleville Park and just head west) back off the dam about 100 yards and use your depth finder. You'll find a "trough" where the bottom drops from 45-50 feet to 97-110 feet. It's only about 30-40 yards wide and parallels the dam. That's an old dynamited road bed from when they dammed the river to build the reservoir. There are some HUGE catfish down at the bottom of that old road bed. They're tough to get up, though, due to the depth and the amount of structure that's fallen into the trough over the years. Good luck!

1 2 3 5 Next