And so God answered the heart’s great need
With cherished friends… like you!

Author Unknown
flowers smitten

Britty's photo
Fri 11/07/08 05:37 PM

The list of movies is incredibly long..
practically all mentioned here and then some,
the Notebook, Wuthering Heights, Shindler's list, Old Yeller,The Pianist,Shane, especially.

Britty's photo
Fri 11/07/08 05:06 PM

wow, Kristi, what a cool pic

:smile:

Britty's photo
Fri 11/07/08 06:33 AM

Good morning to all,

Enjoy your day.

flowers

Britty's photo
Thu 11/06/08 11:50 PM

As my philosophy teacher said:

1) no one can prove that God exists...

but...

2) no one can prove God DOES NOT exist....

flowerforyou

Britty's photo
Thu 11/06/08 11:48 PM

Looks like the matchmaking thread is working a little faster than normal, Huh?
laugh

overdrive.

laugh :smile:

{{{Debs}}}

flowerforyou

Britty's photo
Wed 11/05/08 08:40 AM

Hello Cielo.

Handprints of Love
By Renee Myers

“Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.”
Proverbs 31:31 (NLT)

Devotion:

Oh, the memories of summer days spent with my husband’s parents at their cozy lake cottage. My mother-in-law Jeanette was a wonderful hostess who always made us feel welcomed and loved. Their peaceful home sat on a canal that led to the lake. The views from the windows looked across a tree-shaded yard to the canal where their boat was docked. At any time you could look out to see ducks wandering in the yard or floating by, cranes flying overhead, boats motoring along, or fish jumping out of the water. Our young son loved to stand at the windows with his hands pressed against the glass to catch these fascinating sights.

While talking to Jeanette after one of our visits she said, “This might sound funny, but I haven’t washed the windows since you were here last. I still enjoy seeing your son’s handprints on the glass and just can’t bring myself to wash them off.” Silently I thought to myself, “No, that doesn’t sound funny at all. I never wash our windows either!” Then my heart allowed me to be touched by what she’d just said. Although she was an excellent housekeeper who liked everything neat and tidy, she looked past perfection and sought preservation of the moments her grandchild spent in her home, leaving his handprints behind as evidence of the happy times they’d shared.

Hmmm…I had a lot to learn from her. I was so busy trying to be a good mom and keep up with my tasks (which included wiping off all the sticky handprints I found), that I was overlooking precious “handprint moments” with my own son. I wasn’t allowing myself to stand back and cherish them as my mother-in-law had so wisely done.

Psalm 127:3 tells me that children are a gift from the Lord. In the busyness of motherhood, I failed to see and cherish him as such. Wisdom spoke through the loving words of my mother-in-law to remind me.

Britty's photo
Wed 11/05/08 04:16 AM

very touching write in more ways than one.

I believe you know there are many good women, without the drama as there are men also.

"And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

2 Corinthians 12:9
flowerforyou :heart:

Thank you for sharing. And I do believe God makes us stronger with each new thing we endure. When it seems the world closes in on me, He is there to turn to... and He never fails.

so true, and His mercy is new every morning and never fails.

He gives us good friends too.

flowerforyou

Britty's photo
Tue 11/04/08 01:55 AM

Welcome sister in Christ.

Hope you have a blessed day.

flowers

Britty's photo
Mon 11/03/08 03:39 PM

very touching write in more ways than one.

I believe you know there are many good women, without the drama as there are men also.

"And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

2 Corinthians 12:9
flowerforyou :heart:

Britty's photo
Sun 11/02/08 06:39 PM

Hi Tiffa,

good to see you. I have been busy, but enjoying some good fall weather.

flowers

Britty's photo
Fri 10/31/08 05:07 AM

Hi Tom,

Good to see you pop by, hope you have a good trip. Have fun, take care.

flowers smitten

Britty's photo
Thu 10/30/08 06:40 PM

nicely written, Robert

flowers

Britty's photo
Thu 10/30/08 06:37 PM

hi everyone, hope you are all having fun tonite.

drinks :banana:

Britty's photo
Tue 10/28/08 02:52 PM
laugh :wink:

Hi Tom and Merle,

Congratulations to you both.

flowers

Britty's photo
Tue 10/28/08 01:03 AM

Hi Mendy2, welcome

I hope you have fun and make friends here.

flowers

Britty's photo
Mon 10/27/08 03:09 AM
The Power of Encouraging Words
Renee Swope (Encouragement for today)

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

Devotion:
I hate open heights. I can't stand balconies and when driving across a bridge, you'll find me hugging the rail along the inside lane.

Some friends tried to help me conquer my fear of heights by inviting our family to an indoor rock-climbing center. My heart stopped as we entered the doors and I scanned the highest peak at 25 feet! The instructors assured me that a web of ropes and harnesses would hold me tight. Before I could say "no thank you," I was strapped in and signing an injury waiver.

Towards the end of the day, our friends John and Laura encouraged their eight-year-old son Steven to climb to the highest peak -- promising tokens and ice cream if he did it. Steven was afraid of heights, too, but he loved a dare. The promise of reward, mixed with the challenge and faith of his father evoked courage in him.

I watched with admiration as Steven started the climb with confidence. He made it to 10 feet, then 15, then 20. But as he inched past the next face of the wall, he saw how far he still had to go. In fear, he looked down with tears and claimed he couldn't do it. Then he cried out for his daddy's help.

By this time, Steven's dad was holding their very tired 3-year-old and his mom was feeding their hungry baby girl. I don't know where my brave husband was, but I quickly realized I was the only one standing there who could do something.

Suddenly courage and strength surged through my body and I called out, "Don't give up buddy. You can do it. I'll help you!"

In record time, I reached the 20-foot marker, crossed over the peak and up beside Steven to encourage him, reminding him of how far he'd come. I told him he could do it with God's strength and that it would be worth it if he'd persevere. With my words and my confidence in him, I helped Steven turn his thoughts towards a higher goal, an inner peak, a reward much greater than ice cream and game tokens -- the reward of getting to a place he had stopped believing he could reach.

Funny how I stopped thinking about my fears when I was focused on helping someone else overcome theirs. I realized that the same promises I had claimed for Steven were true for me, too. I could do it with God's strength and I did!

Each day we have the same opportunity. Like God did with Joshua in today's key verse and like He does with us, we can come alongside each other in some of life's hardest challenges and highest peaks and say, "Don't give up, you can do it. I'll be with you and help you."

When we take our eyes off our fears, our doubts, our struggles and focus on someone else's needs, we somehow forget our own, for a little while. In believing the power of God's promises for others, our confidence in His promises for us seems to grow as well. And that my friend is the power of encouraging words!

Britty's photo
Thu 10/23/08 12:31 PM

Well, Krimsa I can see why you would not like this particular teaching if you have seen something like it in certain churches. I have not been a witness to anything like that.

Unfortunately, that is an example of man's doctrine and misunderstanding, not the actual
teaching of Paul as he was addressing it to the recipients of his letter. I believe this instance was the the church at Corinth, which had been pagan before conversion to Christianity.

If you read about Priscilla and Aquilla you will notice that Priscilla did teach and so did other women during the time of Paul. He was great friends with that couple, which is evident by the way he greets them and asks the followers to greet them.

Britty's photo
Thu 10/23/08 09:43 AM

Britty (sorry I forgot to quote)

Well I dont know for certain it was Paul but it sounds like him. Are you asking why do I feel that Paul was a misogynist? Do you have a moment to spare, or a decade? laugh

I do not believe he did show a hatred of women, if the texts are read in context and with understanding of the reasons for what he wrote and the culture of the people he was addressing.

Just one example or a brief summary of your thoughts would be sufficient. I doubt very much it would take a decade.

:smile:

Britty's photo
Thu 10/23/08 09:36 AM

Honestly and not trying to offend anyone, but I don't think the OP is responsible or mature enough for what a marriage to an Indian woman would require. It's a HUGE responsibility and completely life altering. That's not an insult to the OP, I don't think many American men could handle it.

Isn't that a bit of a stereotype?

Do you think every Indian family has exactly the same values?

He said that she's a Christian. Maybe her entire family is Christian and they don't feel the same as the stereotypical 'Indian' culture that you're suggesting.

I don't think any culture is totaly homogeneous with respect to every family living within it.

You might have had experience with a very strict Indian family. Maybe they aren't all that strick.

This would be like someone from India implying that all American family have the same level of strictness just because she met a very strict American family.

You have no clue what this particular woman's family might be like.

It's not a question of the family, it's the social mores. If you are divorced, your and your families lives are more difficult in India because of it. So your family is cool with you being divorced, but the guy you are trying to rent from isn't. The grocer isn't. Your employer isn't. Christianity is a very small minority there, so her family isn't what she has to worry about. I work with people from all over India, my company has around 3,000 Indian employees. I have also had Indian friends away from work. I know one Indian woman who fought for her drug addicted, cheating husband to stay with her. In the end, she had to move nine hours away and leave her son with her family so that she could get a job. I think you are just so used to disagreeing with me that you couldn't stand to let a post go within attacking it, but the truth is that if you think that divorce isn't a violation of a cultural more in India, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

I agree with the advice from spider and the subsequent follow up from tribo. Also advice from Skyhook.

there are many other things to consider also.
If you go and meet her there, you would need to anyway especially if you planned on her coming over here permanently, you will see her in her natural surroundings, she will be confident, etc.

If she comes here and you are living in an area where she has no family connections, friends, etc she could be feeling a little less secure until she feels settled in and will look to you for emotional support also. I mention that because I have seen it happen, sadly the young man had not considered that possibility and was unprepared.

Nothing wrong with being friends with this young woman, but when thinking of a longterm viable possibility there are many variables to consider, including immigration.

I wish you all the best.

flowers

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next