Community > Posts By > Seamus

no photo
Wed 11/25/20 03:22 AM
6c (feels like 4c. Rising to 8c and falling to 3c overnight. Mostly cloudy, with a light 10kph W wind.

no photo
Tue 11/24/20 08:55 AM
I'm not familiar with this particular experiment, so I'll get back to you when I am.

no photo
Tue 11/24/20 02:44 AM
9c (feels like 6c. Rising to 11c and falling to 6c overnight). With a moderate 23kph S wind and a 70% chance of light rain showers.

no photo
Mon 11/23/20 07:06 AM
Edited by Seamus on Mon 11/23/20 07:11 AM
While hate is like a fire that will eventually consume itself, love is like gravity and will always prevail in the end.

no photo
Mon 11/23/20 06:06 AM
Thanks Kristi :thumbsup:.

no photo
Mon 11/23/20 05:38 AM
Definitely slow over the last few days with the occasional error 500 lockout.

no photo
Mon 11/23/20 04:41 AM
Edited by Seamus on Mon 11/23/20 04:44 AM
I think that you'll find that the answer to the apparent variations in position of sunrise and sunset through the year is axial tilt.
This is the difference between the Earth's orbital plane, which remains constant, and it's Equatorial plane which "wobbles" by approximately 23 degrees from the perpendicular during the year. This phenomena is responsible for the fact that we have seasons at all. During what we call summer in the Northern hemisphere, the north pole leans towards the sun by a maximum of approximately 23 degrees mentioned earlier and is what we call mid-summer. During what we call winter in the Northern hemisphere, the North pole leans away from the sun by this same amount at maximum (mid-winter) and obviously is the reason why the seasons are opposite in the Southern and Northern hemispheres. As the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the sun in summer, the southern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun and experiences colder temperatures which we call winter and vice versa.
I hope that my explanation is clear enough but if not, just look up "Axial tilt".

no photo
Mon 11/23/20 04:03 AM
4c (feels like 1c. Rising to 9c and falling to 8c overnight). Partially cloudy, with a light 14kph S wind.

no photo
Sun 11/22/20 02:06 PM
Quark, Strangeness and Charm. :laughing:

no photo
Sun 11/22/20 04:00 AM
The Michelson Morley experiment was designed to test the then still popular theory of the Luminiferous Ether, a substance thought to fill the universe and responsible for the transmission of light etc. They reasoned that any such substance must act in a similar fashion to water, causing retardation of objects at certain angels.
Their experiment (repeated several times with more sensitive equipment) failed to find this effect thus disproving the theory.
It did not 'prove' that the earth was stationary as you claim.

no photo
Sun 11/22/20 03:18 AM
6c (feels like 3c. Rising to 9c and falling to 2c overnight). Raining, with a light 14kph W wind.

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 10:56 AM
Love is like gravity- it will always prevail in the long term.

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 10:21 AM
Edited by Seamus on Sat 11/21/20 10:28 AM
While electric cars seem like they might curb pollution etc, that's only an appearance. In reality, the rare minerals that they require for batteries generate much more pollution and carbon emissions in mining and transportation than conventional petrol engines. In addition to these problems, I was reading today that the cobolt mined in places like Bolivia and used in electric car battery manufacture, employs children to do the mining at very low wages. Cobolt is both toxic and mildly radioactive, so the effects on the health of these miners, both adults and children, will be severe.
On the plus side though, eliminating the air pollution caused by conventional engines being replaced by electrical ones would probably increase life-expectancy by as much as ten years.

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 07:30 AM
The infamous "Operation Paperclip" that rescued people like Werner Von Braun and others like him, who should have stood trial for their crimes.
As I've been known to remark: "When you import Nazi scientists, you don't just get Nazi science". :wink:

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 07:15 AM

I saw a vid yesterday where a German chemist and anti-lockdown protester was live streaming and armed German police broke his door down and arrested him at gunpoint.
The vid is now banned and unavailable in most places.

It's on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHLnDsOSwA&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=KucykTV

And like I said the other day... we're going to a regime like the one the whole world fought for 5 yrs...
Irony is that many of the people who set up this 'new regime' actually came from Germany and were at the time taken back to the US.
So we won the war back then, and yet we didn't. The venom is in the tail which is what seems to get us now.

It certainly seems that way. So far, in the UK we're experiencing a curtailing of various freedoms such as the right to free association with others and restrictions on movement. Both Scotland and Wales have announced that their borders are closed to anyone leaving or entering, although the police have said so far that they have no intention of enforcing these restrictions.

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 06:15 AM
I was thinking about the time I lived in Hull for about four years between 1982 and 1986. Two views from women there reminded me that I didn't care much for it.

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 05:19 AM
I saw a vid yesterday where a German chemist and anti-lockdown protester was live streaming and armed German police broke his door down and arrested him at gunpoint.
The vid is now banned and unavailable in most places.

no photo
Sat 11/21/20 04:31 AM
9c (feels like 6c. Rising to 11c and falling to 5c overnight). Raining, with a moderate 24kph W wind.

no photo
Fri 11/20/20 11:37 AM
Welcome waving

no photo
Fri 11/20/20 03:15 AM
6c (feels like 3c. Rising to 11c and falling to 9c overnight). Raining, with a light 14kph S wind.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25