Community > Posts By > LouLou2

LouLou2's photo
Thu 05/13/10 03:08 PM

Arizona's new immigration law is outrageous to anyone who's had the bad luck of living in a country where fear of the police was a constant source of suppressed rage. A huge weight lifted off my psyche when I came to the U.S. from Communist Romania and was told that the police couldn't stop me just because I still wore my commie trench coat and spoke with an accent.

That was in 1966, and now in Arizona in 2010, the police can target both my trench coat and my accent. The Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English to kids just learning to speak the language.

Oh boy! Did I land back behind the Iron Curtain half a century ago? My last 40 years of teaching would have never happened if the Arizona law had been the law of the land in 1966. Forty years of accented instruction gone by the wayside! Gone also the 40 years when American education, lower and higher, finally recognized the diversity of America.

"Come to think of it, the Arizona law doesn't go far enough: People with accents should be banned from any profession that involves communication. Politics, for instance. Henry Kissinger's accent would surely qualify for the ban. And let's not stop with the foreign-born: Ban all accents. Southern accents, for instance, or Yankee ones. Actually, there isn't anyone who speaks without an accent, so let's just ban communicating altogether. This would be a much better country if everyone just kept quiet and handed his proof of citizenship to the police.

Arizona's immigration law should be rewritten to make every person who sees a policeman just go over to that policeman and hand over voluntarily, and quietly, proof of residency in the respective police district."

LouLou2's photo
Thu 05/13/10 03:06 PM
Mr. Codrescu speaks English as fluently as is his written English...probably far more proper than most of us. He does speak, however, with a delightful accent that may have at one time seemed attractive to many women in the U.S.

Accents were once considered exotic or attractive. Times change I suppose. Now it seems they are considered a threat. Very sad...I love recalling my great-uncle's voice with his English accent. He'd lived as a U.S. citizen for 3/4 of his life, but still had that accent when he passed.

LouLou2's photo
Thu 05/13/10 02:45 PM
Something to think about for those who wish to do so...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126480169

I would suggest listening to the commentary, rather than simply reading it.

LouLou2's photo
Thu 05/13/10 02:21 PM

I'm a "fixer". I try to fix the broken ones.

I'm a "fixer", too!!! Worked on fixing stuff for someone else for 26 years. Reached a point where he was feeling good about himself and life in general...well, dang...didn't have any use for me. Just when I thought he might return some of that care, support and encouragement - poofslaphead!

I've now decided to fix stuff around my house in stead of other people's problems. Don't get me wrong, the people in my life who have always watched my back always get the same from me. I'll be there for them through thick and thin. Men who need repaired? Sorry I don't have the time or energy for that anymore...besides, in most cases, we've all got to fix ourselvesohwell .

LouLou2's photo
Tue 05/11/10 02:29 AM
Hmmmmm, well....seems to me that one reason things may be so different here is a result of the freedoms we all enjoy here. Like msharmony said, your list is what happens when someone is caught in those other countries illegally. The freedoms we all enjoy here make it easier to avoid detection.

Just a few questions we might want to ask ourselves:

Do we really want to eliminate those freedoms in an effort to detect illegal aliens? Do we really want to emulate those other countries? Should we be MORE like North Korea? Iran? China? One of the others?

LouLou2's photo
Mon 05/10/10 02:32 AM

And people from Pittsburgh say tahl instead of tool

Some folks 'round here go 'dahntahn', but 'tahl' is a new one for me. No doubt about it, though, folks do talk funny 'round here:wink: . It's called 'Pittsburghese':wink: .

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 12:58 PM

What great replies! really do love to read and learn from others threads.

oops I enjoy both the threads you start and your posts...TYflowerforyou
Lou Lou come visit us in the over 50's threads some timesflowerforyou

Why TY, Carold...I will do thatflowerforyou

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 12:53 PM
My timing has always been lousy...

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 12:53 PM
Too young for me, I'm afraid...but if you're ever in town, I could tell you the best places to meet some gorgeous, bright, younger Western PA women.

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 12:50 PM
surprised shocked

You O.K.?flowerforyou

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 12:48 PM
No longer an option I'd consider.

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 12:44 PM
Empty - Ray Lamontagne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT69zOTNa8Q

'Cause I know what 'empty' feels like. Song reminds me of how lucky I am not to feel empty anymore...

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 08:01 AM
Happy Mother's Day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JswrTIuct0

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 06:58 AM

What great replies! really do love to read and learn from others threads.

oops I enjoy both the threads you start and your posts...TYflowerforyou

LouLou2's photo
Sun 05/09/10 04:18 AM

douche bag, retard, liberal, conservative, communist, capitalist,,,

all colorful nouns which everyone has the right to use against everyone else,,,but do a great job of distracting from progress,,,

Yes, this really is helpful, isn't it? Again msharmony, I salute your thoughtful and restrained response. These names, this level of animosity from both sides, the polarization of the country is always best for the powers-that-be. Not talking about powers, as in political power. I'm talking about those who actually control this country. I'm sure those powers love to see the people of this country at each other's throats...as long as we are arguing and fighting amongst ourselves, they can carry on as they see fit. Yep, divide and conquer...it has worked for eons.

In actuality, I imagine those who have the power in this country see us ALL...all of us little folk...in the same light as we see each other - as douche bags, tea bags, retarded, useful only as commodities, puppets, a means to an end, self-replenishing minions, war machinery, and equipment required to do business. The last thing they would want is a meeting of our minds! Good grief!!! I imagine them saying, "Remember the power Unions once had? Remember the power Baby-boomers once had? Just keep stirring the pot...don't ever let them get a chance to talk, share or enlighten one another!!! They must NEVER find common ground from which to work! If they ever start working together, we are in big trouble!!!!!" Nice how this animosity, anger and division is working for them, don't you think?

LouLou2's photo
Sat 05/08/10 09:33 PM
Sleep...dreamless sleep...zzzzzzzzzz....asleep

LouLou2's photo
Sat 05/08/10 09:30 PM
I am a sloppy, sentimental mess if I have more than 2 servings of any alcoholic beverage in any 24 hour period. Not pretty, I can promise younoway . I learned many years ago to stick to what truly tastes good to me - a glass of merlot, a shot of tequila, an occasional icy cold Blue Moon...but, more importantly, to accept my limitations. That would be 2 - eh, (((Ed)))...LOL.

LouLou2's photo
Sat 05/08/10 09:14 PM
Welcome:smile:

LouLou2's photo
Sat 05/08/10 08:47 PM
Edited by LouLou2 on Sat 05/08/10 08:49 PM
Ghost by The Indigo Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxtFHNqq1Y

For obvious reasons...

The line, "I'm in love with your ghost", does me in every time...sad

LouLou2's photo
Sat 05/08/10 08:31 PM