Serchin4MyRedWine's photo
Tue 07/31/18 04:00 PM
Baseball...the catcher and umpire wearing the masks at home plate.

Tue 07/31/18 03:47 PM
Edited by Serchin4MyRedWine on Tue 07/31/18 03:49 PM

I don't see the need to believe in any kind of god... organized religion is just a scam, so I just follow my own personal morals

I get that and respect that(I also feel that way)..maybe one of the exceptions I mentioned but this thread was more about those that "believe in a religion". That is why I posted it in Religion Chat.
drinker

Tue 07/31/18 03:37 PM

I think it was Rene Descartes who wrote: "I think therefore I am"

Following that and to tremendously simplify the answer is: people generally do not think independently - they follow. This regardless of geography.

But what or who they "follow" is based on where they are.

Tue 07/31/18 03:33 PM
Batman and Robin?glasses

Tue 07/31/18 03:21 PM
Everyone of course may have different answers to this question but maybe not so many people have actually thought about it at all.

The interesting thing about this question is that most people regardless of their faith will find the real answer is the same.

Let me begin by saying something all intelligent people can agree is a fact, and that is there are hundreds of different religions practiced around the world. In fact,if you break down "religions" into sects or versions, there are thousands. Scholars estimate there are 30,000 different versions of Christianity alone(I was a bit shocked at that number myself). Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism etc., all have varying versions or sects that comprise the various beliefs across the planet.

If I ask a Christian why they believe it might be something like this, "His word is preserved and the Bible says this or that..".
A Muslim might have a similar response like, "The Profit Mohammad says in the Quran this or that..". And so down the line of beliefs it goes.

All of them would be wrong of course. Because these answers only espouse WHAT they believe, not WHY they believe.

Although there are exceptions to every rule, for example, people who convert from one faith to another. It may seem this happens often, it is actually a very tiny percentage in relation to the global population.
With the advent of modern science and technology like micro-biology, astrophysics and planetary sciences to name a few, some have digressed from religion to a more agnostic or atheistic view.But again these represent a very small portion of the world population.

So for the majority of the population, why do they believe what they believe?

The surprising and simple answer is: Geography!

To make my point, If I took an avid, devout Christian from the Bible belt who recites biblical verses here on this site and went back in time a hundred years or so where his grandparents, parents and themselves were born and raised in India instead of say Georgia, They would most likely be a Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu now rather than a Christian.

This is true not just in global or country regions, but also in smaller degrees like states, cities and towns.

You would be less likely to be a Mormon if you were born and raised in Tennessee then in Utah.

So there are two things to ponder here.

1) The first is that it is impossible for all the religions and beliefs to be "the right one".
Which leaves the possibility that none of them are "the right one".

2) Secondly, and probably the hardest pill for some to swallow here is: Your faith and what you believe is based more on geography than any truth or reality!

Tue 07/31/18 12:35 PM
well its been many moons ago for me...don't remember it being difficult but Welcome to Mingle and have fun!

Tue 07/31/18 12:12 PM

I think we are in the END of the USA as we know it,

And I feel fine......

Sounds like an R.E.M. song happy

Hi MSH...been awhilewaving flowerforyou

Tue 07/31/18 11:39 AM

There are many isolated islands where seals, birds and other animals have "evolved" into their own new species.

What many people don't realize is that evolution doesn't need isolation for it to occur.
Everything alive, that reproduces, evolves.
Sometimes we evolve a lot (lose our tails, appendix shrinks), sometimes a little (able to breathe polluted air, drink polluted water, lose our fur covering).
Sometimes, we evolve intellectually or our instincts evolve.
Sometimes our bodies evolve in severe changes (down syndrome, handicapped deformities, savants, extreme athletic abilities).
Isolation allows us the ability to see the evolution easier but everything alive evolves not only by reproduction but also during existence.
Our bodies change as we age, that change is evolution.
Ever see a cigar smoker who's lip is deformed to accept the cigar?
Ever see a person that wears earrings have longer than normal ear lobes?
Do you squat down on your haunches to watch tv or sit in a chair?
We have evolved to be comfortable sitting in chairs.
Evolution is everywhere if you look.

I agree and disagreehappy
You are right everything evolves including us. We are much taller than a few hundred years ago, less colorblindness etc.
where I disagree with you is a cigar smoker etc. These changes are a disintegration of a life form not a "evolution" passed on to the next generation.

The example was meant to show how evolution is not limited to species progression but happens in real-time as well.
Evolution in and of itself is change due to environmental conditions.
The deformed lip would not occur without real-time evolution.
You expose someone to sun for 40 years, they build up a resistance to getting sunburned.
That is another example of non-progeny evolution.
That real-time evolution changes the body and if the parents have that nature, it progesses in their offspring.
If the mother and father have deformed lips from smoking cigars, then the children and their reproductive partners smoke cigars and their lips deform, eventually, thru evolution, children of these people will be born with deformed lips.
If you have two parents that are constantly exposed to sunlight, and their children are also constantly exposed to sunlight, eventually, the children will be born with the ability to withstand sunlight.
Likewise, if you live in a pitch black cave you might lose the ability to see with your eyes. You will still have eyes, but they will stop working like they did. children born may have eyes that don't quite develop right and eventually a child will be born without eyes. This is evident in the world around us because we have discovered cave dwellers both with non-working eyes and lack of eyes.

Well you sort of contradicted your self here...
The example was meant to show how evolution is not limited to species progression but happens in real-time as well.

If I cut off my arm, that is not "real-time evolution" as understood by its intended definition.

You correct this this here...

eventually, thru evolution, children of these people will be born with deformed lips.

meaning over time and generations.
This of course assumes that the offspring will also smoke cigars which is not a given.

And of course I agree that environmental changes like your example with sunlight(just look at Africans and their ability to endure high UV rays) is legit.

That is the essence of why these animals on isolated islands evolve into new species, not solely because of isolation but also their environment.

Tue 07/31/18 11:10 AM
Just to expand on this topic a bit.

Those of us old enough to remember(omg..showing my age), back in the 70's the tree huggers or "environmentalists" stop the logging in a lot of areas in CA.

There were a lot less wild fires because logging removed a lot of the old growth and underbrush that feeds these fires.

Now we have these huge uncontrolled fires spewing lots of carbon emissions...so much for the "environmentalists"laugh

Tue 07/31/18 11:00 AM

There are many isolated islands where seals, birds and other animals have "evolved" into their own new species.

What many people don't realize is that evolution doesn't need isolation for it to occur.
Everything alive, that reproduces, evolves.
Sometimes we evolve a lot (lose our tails, appendix shrinks), sometimes a little (able to breathe polluted air, drink polluted water, lose our fur covering).
Sometimes, we evolve intellectually or our instincts evolve.
Sometimes our bodies evolve in severe changes (down syndrome, handicapped deformities, savants, extreme athletic abilities).
Isolation allows us the ability to see the evolution easier but everything alive evolves not only by reproduction but also during existence.
Our bodies change as we age, that change is evolution.
Ever see a cigar smoker who's lip is deformed to accept the cigar?
Ever see a person that wears earrings have longer than normal ear lobes?
Do you squat down on your haunches to watch tv or sit in a chair?
We have evolved to be comfortable sitting in chairs.
Evolution is everywhere if you look.

I agree and disagreehappy
You are right everything evolves including us. We are much taller than a few hundred years ago, less colorblindness etc.
where I disagree with you is a cigar smoker etc. These changes are a disintegration of a life form not a "evolution" passed on to the next generation.

Tue 07/31/18 10:41 AM

There is much going on that Trump is not responsible for. :wink:

laugh :thumbsup:

Tue 07/31/18 10:34 AM

Yes I was taught Darwinism and evolution in school. This was in Catholic school.

Although evolution is factual and Darwinism is a "theory", they are very similar in the understanding of how new species come to being.

I don't think Darwin ever talked about the creation of life, but was talking about how animals adapt to live and reproduce. The Galapagos islands seem to have speed up the adaption of certain animals, both mentally and physically, to survive in harsh conditions..the the only iguana in the world that eats underwater sea plants, even developed a way to get rid of the extra salt from it's body from eating salt water plants, numbers of different kinds of finches that can be found nowhere else in the world, one even changing the shape of it's beak to drink blood from other animals...Darwin's fascination was with adaptations, not the creation of life itself...

I never mentioned creation. Just how new species come to being. So I agree with you. There are many isolated islands where seals, birds and other animals have "evolved" into their own new species.
Madagascar is another place with its own unique creatures.

I read it wrong, my bad

Its all good drinker

Tue 07/31/18 10:27 AM

Yes I was taught Darwinism and evolution in school. This was in Catholic school.

Although evolution is factual and Darwinism is a "theory", they are very similar in the understanding of how new species come to being.

I don't think Darwin ever talked about the creation of life, but was talking about how animals adapt to live and reproduce. The Galapagos islands seem to have speed up the adaption of certain animals, both mentally and physically, to survive in harsh conditions..the the only iguana in the world that eats underwater sea plants, even developed a way to get rid of the extra salt from it's body from eating salt water plants, numbers of different kinds of finches that can be found nowhere else in the world, one even changing the shape of it's beak to drink blood from other animals...Darwin's fascination was with adaptations, not the creation of life itself...

I never mentioned creation. Just how new species come to being. So I agree with you. There are many isolated islands where seals, birds and other animals have "evolved" into their own new species.
Madagascar is another place with its own unique creatures.

Tue 07/31/18 10:16 AM
Seems to me the term "Fact" is used quite frequently in discussing the bible, scriptures etc.

If the Bible and/or Christianity was "factual" then why is there Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism etc?

2+2=4 is a fact known world wide.

If the the bible or Christianity were factual...wouldn't everyone believe it?

Tue 07/31/18 09:46 AM
Some great news for home owners that will hopefully take place soon.

The Trump admin is about to change the capital gains tax and how the IRS collects them.

This new plan would allow "inflation indexing".

In the current form, let's just say you bought your home 20 years ago for $20,000 and now sold it for $100,000, you pay tax on the $80,000 "profit".

Under the new guidelines that $80,000 "profit" would be indexed for inflation so you might only have to pay tax on say $60,000 of that $80,000.

More money in your pocket and less for Uncle Sam!

Tue 07/31/18 09:13 AM
I'll think about it when and if I ever get a dateohwell

Tue 07/31/18 09:05 AM
Although CA is known for forest fires and has had them for millions of years, there are now 17 of these "wild fires" burning in all different parts of the state.
It might not be a stretch that some of these fires are terrorist related and the government is staying silent to prevent copy cats or other reasons.
It certainly would be a way for terrorists to create chaos, death and destruction...just a thoughtglasses

Tue 07/31/18 08:48 AM

evanesence omgsmitten smitten smitten
what a set of pipes

I second that!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tue 07/31/18 08:12 AM
I try to socialize with people at least once a week. Otherwise I socialize with sea creatures, scuba/snorkeling and fishing.happy

Tue 07/31/18 08:00 AM
You should have called before coming over.surprised

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25