Community > Posts By > Javajunky1980

Javajunky1980's photo
Wed 12/23/09 06:12 AM

Although, through experimentations, it might be possible creating a stndadized set of stimulations -- to provoke a certain response -- most of people tend to react differently to various stimili...
Thus, an "Emotional Gun" would not be practical!

lol.. Very true!

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 09:34 PM
I stumble across the premiere on accident (so glad I did) I was so exciting when I realized what was coming on! I'd been waiting for it forever it seems! I liked it. Cant wait for next weeks premiere!

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 09:30 PM
Saw it in 3D, liked it a lot (not loved it). It was overall a really good movie. I would see it again.:thumbsup:

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 09:19 PM

it's kinda difficult to discuss them impact of emotion on our psyche and how the human intellect is controlled and influenced by emotion while ignoring the couple of hundred years of study and research into that very subject

there are hundreds of scholarly works written on various aspects of emotion and the origin of and the effect on decision making

I referred to three here already but was ignored. if we choose to ignore the work already done and still want to try to discuss it then it really just turns into stoner talk and not a discussion of facts or reality

Quiteman, I didn't mean to ignore your recommendations. I did look at them and they are indeed enlightening. There is still more to read, as I merely looked through the abridged versions (thank you wikipedia). However, you are correct, this isn't inherently a discussion of facts as I am speculating on the condition of the human intelligence without the presence of emotion.
I will refer back to one of your suggested reads from Freud regarding the ego, super ego and id. In this example we would be removing the Super Ego and id, leaving only the ego (very roughly speaking) to calculate and interpret the world. The ego being the aspect to balance the self interested id and overly moral super ego. The question then becomes is the ego ultimately doing anything at all if it no longer needs to balance the other two aspects of the mind? Would(could) the ego maintain its own "level-headedness" or would(could) it create conflict in an attempt to reassert the necessary balance?

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 08:56 PM

Emotions generally drives all human behavior. As intellectual creatures we are able to overcome our emotions and act against them if we choose to do so.

But, why would we want to get rid of all human emotion? Just to avoid the negative emotions? Emotions are behind the most beautiful accomplishments of the human race. Art, music and even science. They were all begun due to emotions. You can't have the good without the bad. It would throw everything out of balance. Better to learn how to overcome negative emotions than to get rid of them.

Well, not get rid of, just consider what the human condition would be like in the absence of emotion. I agree, emotions are the contrast to the black and white of pure logic, they give meaning and gravity to our experiences, perceptions, and dreams (and/or goals). drinker

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 03:03 PM

Ok, here's my thought: We are all inherently emotional beings, subsequently all developmental advances have to some degree accounted for this fact (however we quantify it). That being said is it safe then to suggest that all intellectual facets or learned thought, reason, etc is ultimately built upon the foundation of our emotional nature? If so how then do we regulate the stability of such intelligence on the fickle nature of human emotions?

NO.
and No.

LOL... winking

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 03:02 PM

Is emotion necessary for intelligence to be present?

no, given that you can make a robot and provide it with analaysis of infinite situations and a tactical response, it can function with deductive and inductive reasoning. thus it would be intelligent.

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to bring that up. There are robots which have the capacity to learn but their learning eventually hits a plateu, because although they are designed to learn the world around them they can only learn according to the stimulus provided. Although they can be inteligent if the stimulus is already understood then there is no further drive to learn unless that drive is programmed by the one who controls the "intelect" of said robot.

And no problem Jane, you are very welcome!

Javajunky1980's photo
Mon 12/21/09 02:53 PM
Thank you... It was dedicated to my Grandmother who passed away.

Javajunky1980's photo
Sat 12/19/09 08:24 PM
drinker :banana: smile2

Javajunky1980's photo
Sat 12/19/09 08:14 PM
Edited by Javajunky1980 on Sat 12/19/09 08:15 PM
Ok... Understanding how emotions fit and what would happen in the absence of emotion aren't really the same thing... We agree that we are emotional beings and that there are several layers to our mental hierarchy that incorporate emotion into them but what would that hierarchy look like with out emotion at all present? Try to visualize and think outside the conventional understanding of emotion's place in our lives (if it is even possible) to imagine an emotionless you or me or everyone. How would we act, what would drive us (if anything)?

One thing that I am learning is that emotion has an even larger hand in our day-to-day goings on than just what we feel. If that's true then perhaps removing that component would have an even greater affect on us...
I'm looking for speculation, what would a day in your life be like if there were no emotional influences what-so-ever?

Javajunky1980's photo
Sat 12/19/09 09:03 AM
Edited by Javajunky1980 on Sat 12/19/09 09:05 AM

intelligence would still trive because most humans possess 'curiosity' which while at one point is emotional it is also intellectual.Curiosity is the 'hunger' for knowledge,so its also sort of an instinct *hunger,pain,fear*

so yes i believe that even in a word devoid of emotion intellect would still thrive as the HUNGER for information would still drive us to seek answers

I see your point here. The question then becomes is curiosity a trait truly independent of emotion? If it is then I suppose so long as curiosity exist so would a level of intelligence; however, curiosity alone would not sustain the pursuit of knowledge over long durations of time...would it?

To compare curiosity to a hunger is our way of conceptualizing or articulating the drive (or pull) that it has on us, but is it truly similar. Hunger is in response to a physical need, food. Curiosity however is an indulgence of the mind and imagination; can that also equate to a "physical need"?

Javajunky1980's photo
Sat 12/19/09 08:25 AM
Interesting connection Vass.

Lets assume that there is a baseline of 'intelligence' (i.e eat, sleep, reproduce, survive) Anything else is the progression of 'advanced' intelligence (i.e language, math, etc). If behavior is learned and such behavior is motivated by emotion (not to abuse, to nurture, etc) Then in the absence of such learned emotional behaviors will people like Einstein still have existed. Was there an emotional component to his pursuit of knowledge (if knowledge is equal to intelligence) and would they have reached such level of knowledge/intelligence without the presence of emotional motivation...?

Javajunky1980's photo
Sat 12/19/09 07:56 AM
Edited by Javajunky1980 on Sat 12/19/09 08:00 AM
Fair enough Qiao. There in fact are 3 questions in my post.
1. Can we conclude that all other facets of human intelligence are built upon an emotional basis?
2. If that is true (I feel to be relatively the case), are we not then subject to emotion thus potentially undermining (but not negating) our perceived intelligence?
3. Again, if this is true then how is that intelligence regulated in tandem with the emotional (an sometimes unpredictable and contradictory) aspects of our nature?

I suppose the root of query is to identify if it is the presence of emotion that stimulates the 'desire' to learn, achieve, etc... Not so much to distinguish between the two but to better understand the relationships. Is emotion necessary for intelligence to be present?

Javajunky1980's photo
Fri 12/18/09 11:57 PM
Ok, here's my thought: We are all inherently emotional beings, subsequently all developmental advances have to some degree accounted for this fact (however we quantify it). That being said is it safe then to suggest that all intellectual facets or learned thought, reason, etc is ultimately built upon the foundation of our emotional nature? If so how then do we regulate the stability of such intelligence on the fickle nature of human emotions?

Javajunky1980's photo
Fri 12/18/09 11:44 PM
Edited by Javajunky1980 on Fri 12/18/09 11:44 PM
MT, Redy, and all the rest of the active posters in this thread, I commend you all! I know how difficult it is dealing with abstract argument and philosophical banter. I could definitely feel the tensions rise and fall as I spent the last almost 2 hours (omg really?) reading all the posts.
I am posting because I am truly impressed with the level of information and thought and dialog exchanged. I am one of those people who likes knowing a little about everything. It gets me in and out of trouble sometimes but I mostly find it engaging just to absorb whatever comes my way (academically). This is problematic for teachers because their line (reference linear) of thinking confuses me. Their methodology is slow and cumbersome. I am not ungrateful by any means but I need a greater flow rate of information when I am in the learning mode, paradoxically, there are certain subjects that require so much of my attention I need the slower pace to effectively assimilate the subject matter. I share this because I hope to make a point that regardless of what level of knowledge a person is at or what methods they use to learn we need to identify the speed limits of our learning and teaching curves. Whether debating, educating, learning, arguing whatever we process it all uniquely. I learned much reading through this but I also saw interesting ebbs and flows of communication styles and methods. I think I can fundamentally agree on this, that regardless of our evolutionary progress we are inexorably emotional beings. That fact is a common speed limit to our learning, teaching, etc curves. One could argue that it is upon the base of emotion that all other intellectual facets are built on. (maybe another thread:wink:) Whether we aspire to learn something new or further our understanding of what we already know we need each other to refine that knowledge, keep it current and relevant, and push us to learn more. Logic, in a way, is model for that larger aspect of our selves, through the constant whittling and reduction of non-relevant, non-valid information we progress our understanding of our selves and of our place in the universe. But we do so as a whole, for as there can be merit in almost any argument there is merit in this, we fair better working together than alone. We succeed when everyone builds and no one tears down; it takes many to create but only one to destroy.

Javajunky1980's photo
Fri 12/18/09 08:59 PM
Ok, I'm gonna take a stab at getting this "Gay Thread" thing going since Mingle has yet to decide on whether or not they will make a gay/bi/lesbian forum...frustrated So Please, Feel free to post and let the chat begin! drinker :thumbsup: waving

Javajunky1980's photo
Fri 12/18/09 08:05 PM
Woot indeed! Am I really the only one from Maricopa to post so far.. wow. Hello to all from Tucson, Phoenix, Mesa, Prescott (& P. Valley), Williams, etc. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Javajunky1980's photo
Fri 12/18/09 07:38 PM
"Things That You Should Know"
Of subtleties subliminal, be conscious here and now
Of time to quickly fleeting, in reverence take a bow
Each new day holds chances, each new breath holds truth
Candor's gift is age-less, it is not reserved to youth
Always be swift to action, always be slow to judge
Be swift with your forgiveness, never hold a grudge
Moments in life are precious, though all to quickly lost
Spend each moment wisely, be careless of its cost
Better to be poor in moments, than rich in moments meant
Memories filled with loved ones, moments richly spent
Cherish love completely, life's unique commodity
When it'll come, when it'll go is one of life's true mysteries
Grasp it sure and quick, hold it fast and true
In any form, in any shape, its health is up to you
Be bold with your emotions, be fearless in the sharing
There's no time like the present, fate rewards the daring
From risks you dare to shy away, and fortune, you, does overlook
And pity swells inside to stay, from chances that you never took
In the end what matters, this simple bit of truth
When regretting secrets, the fault does lie with you.