no photo
Fri 05/25/12 11:29 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 11:37 AM

The universe, as a whole, is a giant closed system.
Explain why this must be true? If you can you will win a Nobel.

It's true...it's accepted science. Please educate yourself on this. I like you and hate to see you humiliate yourself like this.
No, its useful to assume the universe is a closed system when you are making calculations. No one knows is the fact, and your pomp and certainty is what illustrates your lack of formal training on this matter.

Science is the study of the natural world. God is supernatural, having created nature, and therefore cannot be described by science.
This makes me question why you even engage in these conversations.

We are talking about more than our universe when we are talking about what caused our universe.

No, here is where you are wrong. I AM talking about one point, to which I replied. Don't play this expanding the scope crap with me. I'm making an isolated point. I'm 100% correct. Your feeble attempts to refute my point or to strawman me show that you really are out of your depth.
The statement was that energy started to exist, basically that god created energy.

The rebuttal was, how do you know that energy has not always existed?

The answer was the second law of thermodynamics, which is a descriptive law (as is ALL of science). What does all of thermodynamics describe? Energy transfer within the universe.

THAT is why it is nonsense when discussing the origin of energy, or the universe. Because the context of the law is within the universe, not before, not outside, not dealing in causes of the universe. The answer is we do not know how energy transfer would or could interact outside of time and space. The answer is we do not know if the universe is eternal and infinite, or cyclical, or one of an infinite universes. All kinds of theories exist about this and none have been shown to be necessarily true.

Even in a heat death scenario energy still exists, it may not be usable, but it exists. You have made this error before in the exact same conversation, been schooled then and still did not understand.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 11:16 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 11:28 AM

They are misapplying the laws. This entire line of reasoning is a straw man.

We've had this discussion before. The problem is that you don't understand the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Ohhh please. Go back a few posts, your answer awaits you.

The universe, as a whole, is a giant closed system.
Explain why this must be true? If you can you will win a Nobel.

Is our universe in thermal equilibrium? Are all parts of the universe equally hot? No, they are not. Therefore, entropy raises.

You are behaving as if this isn't accepted science. So what, I'm the only person who has heard the term "heat death"? laugh
This is a typical error you make over and over again.

We are talking about more than our universe when we are talking about what caused our universe.

Regardless of if you think a membrane slamming into a bubble universe in a foam of infinite universal creation caused our pocket universe or if you think an eternal being existed prior to the universe and willed it into existence you are still talking about a universe that is NOT a closed system. Outside influences adding energy in both cases.

This is really a waste of time. It happens over and over again, laymen think they understand the topic without any formal education and make statements with such conviction without regard to the bigger picture and without regard to context. They apply a law which states specific contextual principles and then ignore the context.

. . and you guys wonder why I disappear from this forum periodically.

Again, if you can prove that the membrane hypothesis cannot be true, or that any other cause of the universe cannot have occurred, then what you are really arguing is that the universe always was in one form or another or you are arguing it came from nothing. Which do you prefer?

It seems to me it doesn't really matter which you prefer becuase neither require a god, and it doesn't prove anything, but if you could rule out any of the possibilities you would be a very well respected member of the cosmology community . . . which you are not.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 11:08 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 11:09 AM
You beat me to it. We do not know that the universe is a closed system and there is strong evidence that that it is NOT a closed system.
Metal smacking down the straw man in very simple terms.

Nothing happens without energy. It really is simple. We may not understand it, but it is without rebuttal. No one can fashion an argument that is internally consistent about cosmology without energy being available.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 11:06 AM

So whats the origin of your divine deity?

1. Every finite and contingent being has a cause.
2. A causal loop cannot exist.
3. A causal chain cannot be of infinite length.
4. Therefore, a First Cause (or something that is not an effect) must exist.

1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
2. The Universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the Universe had a cause.

Regardless of if you believe in God or a material universe, you have to believe that something has always existed.

If you state that a material cause has always existed, that violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy and I'm sure a number of other laws.

If God exists as a being outside of time and space, that does not violate any laws of science. It's not something we can fully comprehend, but noncomprehension does not mean nonexistence.

doesn't mean they exist, either... i do believe that, no matter what, energy has always existed in one form or another.

That violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics. So you have to decide if you are going to ignore one of the laws accepted by science or if you are going to abandon that belief.

i've never went by the accepted rules of science. i believe what i believe, right or wrong. just like your fantasy about a god.
They are misapplying the laws. This entire line of reasoning is a straw man.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 11:03 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 11:05 AM
your going by the assumption that the law is 100% correct.
Not even. He is not even wrong. He is taking a descriptive law. (please look up what it means for something to be descriptive vs proscriptive) that applies to closed systems, and applying it without regard to context to the whole of existence.
The entropy of any isolated system not in thermal equilibrium almost always increases.
Why would the law detail what kind of system if it did not matter?

It does matter. We have you guys playing at physicist and you have no clue how these laws came into being.

All of science is descriptive, we learn based on what we find, we do not find a creator, we find nothing which requires a creator, and thus make no assumptions about creators in creating models of reality.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 11:01 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 11:02 AM

this can be argued with the theory that our universe is expanding according to science.

By expanding, they mean that its travelling outwards, the scientists don't mean that there is more matter observed over time. As I said, this would break one of the basic laws of physics, the law of conservation of energy/mass.

Hallelula! Atheists also believe in miracles, the spontaneous creation of matter from nothing that breaks well established and scientific laws of physics. Welcome to the world of the supernatural :) lol
there is no proof that it came from nothing. just a speculation from scientists, like the god theory. if it fits, it must be true. I don't believe in either, by the way...

Sorry I don't get the argument that matter or energy just always existed. There had to be an origin.
Why?

That violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics. So you have to decide if you are going to ignore one of the laws accepted by science or if you are going to abandon that belief.
This is just hand waving. All cosmological models start with energy, what state of entropy varies on the model.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 10:28 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 10:29 AM
The fact that the universe exists, means a miracle has occurred, mass and energy came from nothing, with no scientific explanation.
This is an assertion without any facts to support it.

If energy can become matter (and we know it can empirically) and energy has always existed, then just like water turns into ice needs no creator to make it happen, energy turning into matter needs no creator.

Your argument is an argument from ignorance, you are really saying that you cannot understand how it could be otherwise, thus it cannot be otherwise.

Science makes no such assumptions.

(Its a scientific law)
Science, even the laws, are descriptive, not proscriptive.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 10:24 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 10:25 AM
A visual representation of this conversation.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 09:25 AM

Very Simplistic Bushi

Put yourself in the shoes of an ordinary Palestinian and tell me how you would react to being treated as a non person or a second class citizen at best.
You know I know a family who lived in Palestine. In fact its really three families. They pooled there resources together and moved to America. There are positive ways to interact with a problem, and negative ways. Throwing rocks at a person with superior firepower is not a positive way to do anything but get killed.

I dont make claims to know what is the right thing for everyone to do, nor to claim that I know who is responsible for event X, or Y, or really anything, but arguing that throwing rocks at a man with a rifle is a good thing is a loosing argument.

This is not an argument about throwing rocks.

This is a conflict about land on the one hand and establishing a Jewish State for a Jewish People on the other.

That was tried in Northern Ireland Seven Decades ago and did not, could not and should not succeed .

Some left because it was dangerous and some stood their ground and threw rocks molotov cocktails, a lot of people died.

I could go on but this is not about Northern Ireland This is about Palestine which is very similar in my opinion.

Northern Ireland/Ireland<><><> A Protestant State For a Protestant People

Israel/Palestine<><><>A Jewish State for a Jewish People,

In both cases it ends up as a battle for Land Not Religion

Not true, the two groups could integrate if not for religion. Wherever you find long standing battles over land you find religion keeping two groups from integrating.

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 09:00 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 09:17 AM
And as I said to rskit, both the creation of matter and the creation of life itself are statistically impossible processes, they just do not spontaneously occur. For this very reason, scientists should at least consider creationism as an empirically possible alternative.
What is this assertion based on?

Why does matter need to be created? (hint: is someone creating ice when water turns into ice?)

no photo
Fri 05/25/12 08:49 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 05/25/12 08:53 AM

Nah, I don't really want to argue any of the points. I know some are unfounded, especially the later ones.

That link served it's purpouse like the link to quackwatch served it's purpouse.
Your right, it does serve a purpose, to show that you are disconnected from any real argument and are just flinging poo around in an attempt to troll.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

So you deny that most of them are true?

Nah, I don't really want to argue any of the points.

Says it all. You do not care, you are just trying to play gotcha. Straw is all you have. Your a waste of time and effort.

LOL! I care, massage admitted that most of the points on that page are correct and I agree with him. So go ahead, refute some points on that page and I'll pick apart you're quackwatch page, that is, unless your afraid...
What effort does you're gratuitous assertions require? Nun. Knot even capable of actually watching a video?

Ewe think a quackwatch paige proves anything? Your gnot even in close proximity to being considered a scientist. U make assertions about treatments with zero evidence to back up you're claims. The way yoo and other anti-natural cure "scientists" operate is to use appeals to ridicule and authority instead of actually conducting unbiased trials of the methods being espoused as "quackery". I understand why they act the way they do... There jobs would be in jeapordy if the natural cures are proven to work.

Your obviously upset that I make you realise you're shotcomings and it shows in you're extremely lame attempts at ridicule. Don't worry thow, I don't think that anyone in this thread will miss you're intellectual dishonesty and unbiased ignorance.

That page is off topic. It serve no better purpose than to call into question modern medicine to support the business model of supplements and "natural" products.

Extolling mistakes and failures of science is a lot like extolling failures of the industrial revolution and then trying to say you shouldn't view it in its totality as a success.

The success stories outweigh the failures by an order of magnitude, and again its off topic. You have an agenda here, to make anyone supporting the establishment out in a negative light, but how does that have anything to do with Gerson therapy, or modern cancer treatments? (hint: it doesn't, its ad hom garbage.) If anyone is arguing from ridicule it is you. Modern medical research is tested and statistically shown to have a beneficial effect. Where is the research that supports Gerson therapy? OR the Rife device?

Here's Dr. Rife's principles being applied today:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120522154801.htm

massage, have you seen the Rife videos? Bare also has video of his machine allegedly killing paramecium...
. . and how does that relate to cancer? How does this support the idea that his ray device cures cancer?

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 12:24 PM

Exploiting females is Larry Flints bread and butter.....In his effort to limit or shut up an intelligent, educated, beautiful women he proves his ignorance....You don't have to agree with Cupp's views or even like her as a person to to be outraged by such blatant public degradation....Larry Flint you suck....
Yea I agree, it says far more about the person who uses such tactics IMHO. Well said Leigh.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 11:55 AM

Fake Explicit Image of S.E. Cupp Appears in Hustler (Graphic)

Despite the vile nature of the photo, Cupp said she had to commend Hustler for their “honesty” in the image’s accompanying sidebar.

“S.E. Cupp is lovely, she’s smart, she’s fine but she happens be a crazy conservative who is pro-life and wants to defund Planned Parenthood and for that she deserves the phallus in her mouth — that is essentially what they’re saying and I have to commend that as being incredibly honest,” Cupp said.

She added, “They have uncomplicated this belief system that my political views, my being pro-life, my political views make this kind of behavior OK. It justifies it and I essentially deserve it. That is honesty and I have never seen it before.”

Don't hold your breath waiting for the President to call her to comfort her...
Cant stand her views, loved her response.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 11:51 AM
Very Simplistic Bushi

Put yourself in the shoes of an ordinary Palestinian and tell me how you would react to being treated as a non person or a second class citizen at best.
You know I know a family who lived in Palestine. In fact its really three families. They pooled there resources together and moved to America. There are positive ways to interact with a problem, and negative ways. Throwing rocks at a person with superior firepower is not a positive way to do anything but get killed.

I dont make claims to know what is the right thing for everyone to do, nor to claim that I know who is responsible for event X, or Y, or really anything, but arguing that throwing rocks at a man with a rifle is a good thing is a loosing argument.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 11:12 AM

Nah, I don't really want to argue any of the points. I know some are unfounded, especially the later ones.

That link served it's purpouse like the link to quackwatch served it's purpouse.
Your right, it does serve a purpose, to show that you are disconnected from any real argument and are just flinging poo around in an attempt to troll.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

So you deny that most of them are true?

Nah, I don't really want to argue any of the points.

Says it all. You do not care, you are just trying to play gotcha. Straw is all you have. Your a waste of time and effort.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 11:06 AM

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 10:52 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Thu 05/24/12 11:02 AM
I'm really impressed by much of it.
Me too, but I wouldn't expect anything less of Tufts. Quality uni. Evolution really is an amazing field, and to see real experts talk about it is very humbling.

The point is not that these prove evolution right. The point is that these were predictions that could have turned out to be wrong predictions. So, the people who made the predictions were doing science. The Theory of Evolution was also useful, in the sense that it suggested what evidence to look for, and where.
This is the real point. If a competing theory cannot do the same, then it has no merit.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 10:06 AM
There are still photographs and motion video of LIVE microorganisms taken under that microscope.
How does this support his device that was claimed to cure cancer?

. . . and you accuse me of moving goal posts. You have failed to make an intelligible argument.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 10:02 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Thu 05/24/12 10:05 AM
Man let me tell you, if someone wanted to pay me to research cancer and present my findings online id eat it up.

Now if someone tried to pay me to present something I did not actually believe was true, id have nothing to do with it.

How valuable do you really think anything I say really is to anyone with money who would want to spend it on advertising something?

Id say, not at all. My impact on the discourse, and most especially the avenue (mingle) that is being used is negligible.

In fact to think that anything said on this forum by anyone has any impact is egoism at its finest.

This to me more than anything illustrates the irrationality of volants comment.

Delusions of grandeur tend to have that element, and you often see this in folks who hold onto conspiracies as the most likely outcome when given any kind of perceived controversy or disagreement.

Deal in facts, not accusations. That way we can all have an interesting conversation where objective discourse is the theme, not silly accusations without merit.

Then perhaps you would like to refute the points in the link?
I might, but I would loose brain cells from the burning stupid just reading natural news, so I might need to fortify myself. Give me some time . . . lol.

no photo
Thu 05/24/12 09:56 AM
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/evo_science.html

Evolution has made predictions, and they have come true.

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next