Community > Posts By > bdpm

bdpm's photo
Sun 01/17/10 04:16 AM

(about you)

...haven't seen this one for a while

-I was born May 27th at 5:27am (527 - 527)....don't know if this means ANYTHING but always thought it was kinda cool

-I have an affinity for both farm and surf culture and have lived in the midst of both. That's why I chose my pseudonym.

-I've met (in person) 14 people from here and a previous sight, and ALL meetings were positive.

You've met 14 people in person from here? That's amazing. I didn't think that these relationships extended to the real world.

Ok, here goes...

1. I am also a deep Gemini. I was born on May 31st. Watch out! I'll indecisively get you in a passive-aggressive way. I was also born very early in the morning. I'd have to look at my birth certificate but I'm pretty sure that I was born around 3 am.

2 I love Tool. If I hadn't just spent most of the night listening to them, I may have found something more interesting for #2, but I did and I'm way into them right now. They must be awesome live. I wish I had gone to one of there concerts around the time that Aenima came out. I must have played the live version of Pushit from Salival like 20 times tonight. My neighbors have it in for me.

3. I'm not here to date. Ive never been with someone who wasn't already a friend. I need a network of friends before I even consider dating. I'm a stranger in a strange land where I live. Back home women kiss my face and I'm well-established. Here, I haven't gotton so much as a hug and I'm nobody. If i jump right into a relationship without a social network we're asking for trouble!

bdpm's photo
Sun 01/10/10 10:48 PM
You don't have to be in the same field to have a connection though. I've never dated someone else who was technical. Opposites attract. Most of my friends and I connect on a level that is not related to our occupations as well. I've tried to connect with "my people" before though. There aren't a lot of women in the engineering or computer sciences, but there are plenty in Math Education. Nothing. Ditto. I'm always with an artist or writer.

bdpm's photo
Sun 01/10/10 10:32 PM
Is it intimidating to others? It shouldn't be if the person who hears it is secure. It can be irritating I guess if you brag about it. I have always been fond of the hard sciences myself. I'm a computer scientist with a heavy background in mathematics. If you ask me to paint something or write something that can be published though you might as well go ask someone in kindergarden to do the same thing. You would probably be better off.

Everyone specializes in something. My last girlfriend has a M.A. in Public Administration. She put me to shame when it came to writing policy and research papers. I think she used to ask me to proof-read some of the 25-page research papers that she used to whip up in a single weekend just to see my reaction. There was this one time that she was taking "sadistics" (what she called statistics) and I attempted to explain to her why the graph of a logarithm looked the way it did. I put her in tears. It was really cute.

bdpm's photo
Sun 01/10/10 11:07 AM
Edited by bdpm on Sun 01/10/10 11:14 AM
Pretty ok. As good as a Sunday can get I guess. Full week ahead of us. All of the holidays are over and I am alive.

bdpm's photo
Sun 01/10/10 10:33 AM
HOLY S*H*I*T BATMAN! I thought that the number of miles that I put on my truck driving up and down CA since I got it in 07 was a lot! Wowzers.

I just noticed that our number of posts is displayed under our avatar.

55,809 Posts / (365*2 - 3*30) = APPROX 87 posts/day since 04/27/08

I have some catching up to do.

Yes, I am a dork.

bdpm's photo
Sat 01/09/10 09:15 PM
Edited by bdpm on Sat 01/09/10 09:17 PM
I never understood it either, but I am coming around. I am usually the rebound guy, kind of a nurturer when some girl that I know dates someone who cheats on them, or smacks them around, or is emotionally abusive. It has nothing to do with a lack of confidence. I am successful when pursuing my endeavors. maybe I haven't always been this way. I spent my twenties recovering from my teens. Senior citizens everywhere love me now, but their daughters would rather see someone in a band that will never make it, or a thespian snob that can't afford a hotdog at 7-11, or some druggy. Women don't seem to want nice, stable guys. They want to be dangerous.

I think that men want the same thing. I find a woman that swears, cuts loose and doesn't follow the norm attractive. Trashy can be temporarily satisfying. I wasn't always a nice guy. I spent my twenties being pretty careless. I wouldn't hurt anyone else, I was just self-destructive. I wouldn't do some of the things now that I have before, but I remember some of those experiences being REALLY, REALLY, good and would never wish to take them back.

I think that it comes down to your condition when you come out of those experiences. People grow from them. Just don't allow yourself to be scarred too deeply before you are ready to emerge from them and settle.

bdpm's photo
Sat 01/02/10 01:01 AM
Edited by bdpm on Sat 01/02/10 01:02 AM
What do you mean by instant? If you build a computer, install an OS and AV software, turn it on and do nothing else but sit and stare at it it, viruses aren't going to just attack it out of nowhere. I'm just saying that something that you did made your system vulnerable to it. I have used a computer for as long as a year before without AV software and managed to avoid a virus. I checked email and only went to sites that I knew that I could trust. I had a hardware firewall that was built into my router, but no other protection.

bdpm's photo
Sat 01/02/10 12:34 AM
I have an Asus that I got at Newegg.com about 2 years ago. It's been great. It was really easy to throw in extra RAM and put in a faster, larger capacity HD. It wasn't preloaded with a bunch of crap that I didn't need and had backup disks as well as a back-up partition.

The problem that I have with HP, Gateway and such is that they usually want you to be dependent on them for support. My sister had a Gateway, got into a pickle, was not given backup disks with the laptop and had to spend $150 to get the laptop back to its state when it came from the factory. If you want to pop the hood on the sucker yourself you are breaking warranty and most of their components are proprietary.

bdpm's photo
Fri 01/01/10 11:57 PM
I always have back-up images of my boot partitions. On this computer I have Ubuntu Linux, Vista and XP twins. I surf with one of the XP OS's keeping the other as a backup and up to date. If something happens, I wipe out this partition and copy the image of the twin over. Gotta back your **** up. This is my area and I learned very early that you can't have enough backups. With all 3 MS OSs I use Kaspersky AV, which isn't very resource-heavy (unlike Norton). With Linux I just do software development and vista is my entertainment (music, games, movies). If I go to an unknown server/site Online and If I download anything, it is with XP and I scan it before moving it anywhere else on the system.

My last girlfriend lost her thesis because she didn't make copies of it. There was a disk crash and she freaked out (for good reason). Flash drives are cheap. I bought an 8 Gb flash drive at Walmart for $20. It's real easy. Just make copies of your work periodically. You can buy up to a 1 terabyte external hard drive from Costco cheap and copy an image of your partition every week, or every night. Storage keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. I have 400 Gb of .mp3s one one disk, and backed up on two others. At work I back up what I've done since the beginning of the day at least twice before the end of the day and in two different locations. Yes, I have hundreds of copies of my work-in-progress in time-stamped folders but it isn't like I'm going to run out of space.

10 years of computing? shame shame :)

bdpm's photo
Mon 11/30/09 07:06 PM
It seems like everyone does something different to lose weight. I don't really go on a specific diet. I seem to do well when I just go cold-turkey. I always fail when I try to use a "crutch." I quit smoking the same way (and yes, more than once, but I don't think I will be smoking again). When I want to lose weight I fill the fridge full of grapefruit juice and iced coffee, start exercising more, eat only when I am hungry and watch my fat and sodium consumption. I also cut out all meat and dairy products. I prefer soy milk anyways. In the morning I usually grab a handful of almonds or walnuts and a banana. Granola or oats are supposed to be good for your body in the morning as well. I never have time to make breakfast, so I grab a Quaker Oatmeal bar before I leave the house.

Undoubtedly, a nutritionist would shake their finger at me. I have taken it too far before and lost too much weight (earlier this year). I become kind of gaunt at around 195, and actually hit 190 around Jan. A couple of friends asked if I was on speed, and I started seeing the tendons in my hand, so I started eating more. I've put on about 10 lbs since and look better I think. Your body adjusts to your diet. I would eat less and less because I would become used to how much I was currently eating and wouldn't "feel" hungry as often.

bdpm's photo
Sun 11/08/09 04:23 PM

10 months, or even a year isn't that long. He started with a mess, is in pretty deep and has a lot to prove. He is our first African-American President. I'm just saying it's a bit early to be pointing fingers. If I did point a finger right now, it definitely would not be at Obama.

I wouldn't try to get into a debate about this, I will admit myself that I am far from an expert in politics. It isn't my area.

Let's say that I look at the sky and see that it is blue, and most everyone else sees that it is blue because it is unlikely that we would all witness different wave-frequencies of light. Let's say that someone standing next to me says that it is red, and proceeds to give me what he or she thinks is a good argument supporting it. Even someone like me is going to feel inclined to step forward and object, mostly out of sheer surprise that that person actually managed to come to that conclusion. All I'm saying is that it is obvious that the sky is blue.

What on earth does being the first African-American president have to do with his failure to follow through on at least the Hope & Change he drummed for 2.5 years? When you guys pull up that race card whenever you can't debate or when you can't admit that maybe you voted in a rookie my attention span goes by the wayside.

Also, whenever you guys are hit with a question that you can't answer you're so good at some analogy like a weather scenario.slaphead

HEY! Back off lady. My anologies are poetry :)

My point is he's a first, and his actions will be heavily documented and closely watched. If he tries to get away with some of the s*h*i*t that Bush got away with, the public will crucify him. I really thought that the implication that I made was clear.

This thread is getting long enough, and old. I hate leaving without supporting a statement that I make, but I didn't know how else to say it. I don't want to spawn another un-related debate that would never end and that has been run into the ground countless times before.

I have a very limited knowledge-base in POLS and I don't closely follow current events. I preferred the hard and applied sciences in school. It is MY opinion that BUSH is a complete TOOL and that he set us back instead of moving us forward. That is my opinion and I am not speaking for anyone but myself, nor do I presume to be a credible source.

I'm done here.

bdpm's photo
Sat 11/07/09 05:53 PM
Edited by bdpm on Sat 11/07/09 05:59 PM

Maybe people just don't want to work for you. You have to earn good morale. My hometown is full of small business owners. You can tell which one's low-ball or mistreat their employees by how high the turnover is.

I had SO MANY jobs until I started working at a group home. I spent about 3 years there. I graduated, found a job and moved away. I consider the home administrator's family my own. I'm even going there for Thanksgiving. I'm a civil servant now, and doubt that I will ever bounce back into private sector again. I may never own a Porche, but I will never have to worry about losing my job or being taken advantage of by someone with an "Oppressing Thumb" over me again.

You just think your job will be secure.
Whem ObaMAo grants amnesty to the Illegals, you may be in for a surprise.

How?

bdpm's photo
Sat 11/07/09 05:15 PM
Maybe people just don't want to work for you. You have to earn good morale. My hometown is full of small business owners. You can tell which one's low-ball or mistreat their employees by how high the turnover is.

I had SO MANY jobs until I started working at a group home. I spent about 3 years there. I graduated, found a job and moved away. I consider the home administrator's family my own. I'm even going there for Thanksgiving. I'm a civil servant now, and doubt that I will ever bounce back into private sector again. I may never own a Porche, but I will never have to worry about losing my job or being taken advantage of by someone with an "Oppressing Thumb" over me again.

bdpm's photo
Sat 11/07/09 01:30 PM

The whole blaming Bush thing is getting pretty old.He has been in office for over a year now.The Democrats had control of both the house and Senate 2 years before Bush even left office.They wasted precious time and millions of dollars on dumb ideas like trying to get Bush impeached and Global warming regulations when they should have been concentrating on the economy.

Obama is not only as bad as Bush he is worse!This country has been bleeding red ink like a severed artery concerning job losses and I haven't heard any good ideas or really any solutions on how to stop it.The only thing he keeps talking about is these fricken green jobs which from what I have heard has not hired a single person.It also seems to me the job loses and economy should be his first priority but it seems to be his last.

Record high job losses-But lets worry about the health care debate.

Banks closings on a monthly basis-But lets worry about the health care debate.

Our economy in the toliet and our dollar falling like a stone-But lets worry about the health care debate.

Seems like government health care works for almost EVERY other country.... You know how many bankruptcy claims they have due to medical....0 we have tons...... And as far as ur statement that working people have inscurance... There are plenty that don't..... Losing your health is often sudden and unexpected so an I'm healthy don't worry about it attitude is stupid
I'm so happy I didn't vote for this guy.If I had I would feel like I would have to throw myself in jail for what he has done to this country.

I think he has actually been in 10 months and the first order of business was an economic stimulus. I believe healthcare is a reasonable priority and doesnt necessarily mean it is the ONLY issue that is being worked on. As americans we have this awful tendency to think that if we arent reading about it , it isnt happening.

What is more important having a job or having health care?Even if it does pass it wont take affect until 2013(because Obama knows he won't get re-elected when public health care bankrupts the nation).We will have millions of Americans broke and out of money (if they are not already there now)and still no health care so what is the point?

Public healthcare seems to be working quite well for ALMOST EVERY other civilized country in the world .. and you know how manybankruptcies they have every year from unforseen medical emergency ZERO,, Many many americans Fall into financial ruin because of this.....
and there are PLENTY of people working that cant afford insurance by the way ..especially if your like me and have any preexisting conditions... i myself have glaucoma and needed help wit test costs and medicine and the Caseworkers at the office that is meant for helping people not only treated me like **** but basically told me to come back after i was blind and theyd put me on disability for the rest of my life.. witch would cost a great deal more than helping me in the first place..I am not some **** bum i work my *** off to provide a reasonable home in a good schoold district for my dsaughter and thats about the end of the budget there..And as far as ur statement that working people have insurance , there are PLENTY of hard working men and women who dont ... .. Losing your health is often sudden and unexpected so an I'm healthy don't worry about it attitude is stupid

A big problem w the unemplolyment is people arent willing to take a job they feel is below them.. Americans want Premium pay and to be treated like gold and not have to work hard... its tough to find american workers that dont want to get paid tons while being soft and lazy..There are jobs for those WILLING to work.. and kudos to the americans doing it... but no wonder jobs are going elsewhere if the pay to product turn out is unbalanced.. if americans arent willing to realize theyre job can be done just as well and cheaper maybe we will figure out that we neeed to compete for these jobs on a worldwide scale..

I moved here from a very poor county in Northern California. They are getting hit hard by this slump. I have friends losing homes right now, but they are certain to bounce back like always. Even before the recent crash, times were rough there, and I don't know one person not living out of someone else's pocket that doesn't work hard to stay on top. In my hometown, there are college grads working for close to minimum wage. I did when I was there.

My point is, your assumption applies only to a minority. Not all Americans are spoiled and lazy. If I had spent my entire life here in Ventura, I might agree with you. Values seem different here. But I didn't grow up here, and know that it isn't like this everywhere.

bdpm's photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:21 AM
10 months, or even a year isn't that long. He started with a mess, is in pretty deep and has a lot to prove. He is our first African-American President. I'm just saying it's a bit early to be pointing fingers. If I did point a finger right now, it definitely would not be at Obama.

I wouldn't try to get into a debate about this, I will admit myself that I am far from an expert in politics. It isn't my area.

Let's say that I look at the sky and see that it is blue, and most everyone else sees that it is blue because it is unlikely that we would all witness different wave-frequencies of light. Let's say that someone standing next to me says that it is red, and proceeds to give me what he or she thinks is a good argument supporting it. Even someone like me is going to feel inclined to step forward and object, mostly out of sheer surprise that that person actually managed to come to that conclusion. All I'm saying is that it is obvious that the sky is blue.

bdpm's photo
Fri 11/06/09 10:37 PM
Where's the exit?

bdpm's photo
Fri 11/06/09 10:30 PM
People with a false sense of adoration towards an unruly, untrained, disobedient, stupid dog. It bugs the **** out of me. I am sometimes forced to be around this woman who has one. It tears up the yard every damn day. It begs for food. It gnaws furniture. It licks. It barks if it doesn't get attention. It is as dumb as she is.

I am just biased I guess. My ex and I had a very well-trained rescue dog. It could climb vertical ladders. It passed away, and ever since, I haven't come across another like it.

bdpm's photo
Fri 11/06/09 09:47 PM
err...he inherited a pretty big mess, he's doing his best. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a magic wand.

bdpm's photo
Fri 11/06/09 05:56 PM
Edited by bdpm on Fri 11/06/09 06:07 PM
I got lucky. I cut most out before I landed on my career path, and for good reasons.

bdpm's photo
Tue 11/03/09 10:29 PM
I'll wait for it to come out on video. Aliens was the only sequel that I have seen that happened to be better than the first.

I remember when Boondock Saints came out. Few knew about it. Didn't it go straght to video stores? I remember picking it up and thinking, "This is another risk." All movies I picked up back then were a risk because I didn't do mainstream. I was a rebel...err, or maybe just a Northern Californian snob :) I was somewhere between being thespian, punk and post-hippie. I was basically antisocial, condescending and self-righteous. Anyways...there was one copy of Boondock Saints on the shelf that had probably never been rented. I took it home and watched it with some friends and it was like I had struck oil.

Previous 1