Community > Posts By > kmarm

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 07:08 PM
I love Bernie. I think he would do well to read more into contemporary economics. I kind of cringed at his, "Let's make the minimum wage 15$ ad!) but he's got the spirit of the sort of politician I'd like to see running this country.

With that said we can't let the Democratic vote be fragmented by the, "so-and-so isn't far enough to the Left; Feel the BERN!" people again. It's a goddamned shame that there isn't a real Leftist party in the United States (at least not one relevant at the Federal level) but there isn't ever going to be if Republican's + Big Money keep winning elections. Progress needs to be gradual and evolutionary; falling short of a major revolution.

Andrew Yang's UBI proposal is class. He isn't going to get the nomination but it's nice to see someone coming out of the tech sector (assuming tech VC's are included in the, "tech sector") with progressive ideas. I think it's worth noting that even good old Milton Friedman advocated for UBI in the 70's as the the Reverse Income Tax. It's time we moved to a model where every American citizen is afforded a decent standard of living. Poverty really, really sucks.

Side-note-- Joe Biden would already be president if he wasn't so handsy. lolol.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 07:01 PM
It works when the Brahmins are actually Brahmins and we remember to give all homage to Lord Vishnu.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:58 PM
Edited by kmarm on Thu 10/17/19 06:59 PM
Yeah.

I'm excited for the last Evangelion film. Trigger's got some neat things going on. GAINAX's 80's roster really seems to form the basis of the industry. So much passion. It's a shame that OG AF Otaku culture is going away and I don't think American kids, "get it" enough to create a globalized revival. Something about that vibe of Japanese kids learning to program computers just to make RPGs so they wouldn't have to spend loads of money at the arcade. I'll bet a revived PC-Engine clone would slay **** in the world of Vaporwave/90s revival crap.

I have this theory that Miyazaki is actually super healthy and is just planning to fake his death 2Pac style. Eventually he'll pull an Andy Kaufman and re-emerge as a Conservative/Conspiracy talk show host in the 2040s when Japan gets around to creating real, pilotable giant robots. Until then I suppose we'll just have to sit on our hands. I see a Daikaiju revival in the 2020s. I read somewhere Anno is doing a Shin-Ultraman film. I hope it's better than the Godzilla film.

That feel when Serial Experiments Lain + Paranoia Agent re-runs of Adult Swim. Delicious!

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:48 PM
Because it's Kali Yuga and everything revolves around Gold and lust. The atmosphere of fear and the shortness of human life in this age doesn't help either.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:46 PM
Loretta Lynn and Townes Van Zandt for me. I like Hank OG too although I find the mythology a little toxic among those inclined towards amphetamines and stimulants. Myself included.

I dig the Stones as a pure country/roots group. They really cracked the code but I'll always be a 60's Stones devotee. Justice for Brian Jones! How could you Keith?!

"We was so happy-- My heart was in a whirl but now I'm a ***** Tonk Girl."

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:43 PM
Great topic--

Gardening At Night comes to mind. South Central Rain as well-- I think the whole, "Eponymous" compilation is great all the way through. It's really the American, "Louder Than Bombs." Radio Free Europe should be added to the Library of Congress-- Punk Rock Alt Rock 101 it is. Andy Mills really know how to tear into a Rickenbacker 400X. Shame he switched to the P-Bass early on. (Bruce Foxton too. Ugh)

As far as the 90's is concerned-- I like Shiny Happy People. It's so cutesy that it's on the edge of being sarcastic but somehow it really isn't. It's horribly self-aware almost to the point of being from a different and more wholesome age. I like the all-Athens supergroup concept too. Cindy + Ricky Wilson would have slayed **** as part of a 5/6 piece R.E.M.

I hope this Private Idaho Doesn't Fall On Me. Posted from the bottom of the pool. Rock.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:38 PM
I wasn't born when the thing happened but I still get a kick out of the idea that Phil Collins played in Led Zeppelin for a show. I think he's mostly a total wanker ("Can't Hurry Love Comes To Mind"). Freddie Mercury's white Wranglers during Queen's performance are truly inspiring-- and that matching white Telecaster! Good God! I'd be like the biggest Queen fan if Roxy Music, Bowie, and T-Rex weren't a thing.

Do they know it's Christmas time on Mars? ;3

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:33 PM
Perhaps to be treated like human beings and not be slotted into some categorical understanding by which, "they" all have some universal appeal for some aspect of sexual or romantic intrigue as expressed in their genderial counterparts.

What do chicks like? Bullet bikes. That's all I've got so far. --A hopeless 28 year old.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:30 PM
Chocolate will never break your heart-- so chocolate.

Especially that really nice dark chocolate with a bit of salt. Good God is that stuff good.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:29 PM
I think the whole concept has become overblown. Polyamory was huge in Salt Lake for awhile until all the 20-something dudes got over their, "best friend-lovers" bringing random dudes home from dates for a shag and having to listen the whole affair through the walls. Call me old fashioned but I think there needs to be a well defined domain of, "we really love each other" and "this is mostly casual/for fun but perhaps with some romance thrown in" Trying to mix the two is like mixing oil and water.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:23 PM
Edited by kmarm on Thu 10/17/19 06:24 PM
Yeah it is a bit much. I think traditionally, "dear" has been reserved for what a male nurse at a retirement center would call a woman under his care. The retirement community scenes from Happy Gilmore come to mind.

Also, on the flip side-- There's the, "dad calling his daughter dear" aspect of the thing and as much as I love Serge Gainsbourg's seminal record, "Histoire de Melody Nelson" I need to stay away from the ageplay scene. Underground adult diaper distribution freaks me out man.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:14 PM
I'm a real Utah person outside of the whole being a neural network trained on William Burroughs novels to auto-produce text thing. Overlooking that, I'm totally a real person.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:12 PM
I ain't a cowboy but I've walked a moonlit mile or two. There you used to be all sorts of Wrangler-wearin', real America types around Orem/Provo but I think local agriculture's taken a hit since Silicon Slopes became a thing. Its such a shame their turning all that nice land in Eagle Mountain into Pleasant Valley Sunday West. It'll b e worth the office building obstructed freeway views when all the startups (WeWork lolol) get their funding pulled.

Ironically our pastoral landscape has become a real cow. Moo. Moo indeed.

kmarm's photo
Thu 10/17/19 06:06 PM
Edited by kmarm on Thu 10/17/19 06:07 PM
I've had this fantasy of being an middle aged woman's pool-boy since I was like 19. I just find it's hard to, sort of, bridge the gap given Utah culture. Also-- pissed off middle-aged husbands are a drag and a half man. (What's the moral opposite of shotgun wedding? -A shotgun murder-divorce? ;3)

Now middle-aged, "never got my **** together" tweakahol girls-- that's another ballpark/sport. I think my Mark Renton days are behind me but you never know what'll drag itself up to the shores of the old saloon in Pleasant Grove. Fabulous place it is.

I can't tell if coffee makes my horny or if I'm just too hyperstimulated to focus on anything else. I think the Upanishads are right-- Lust is the vein burst-redness in all eyesores! Perhaps some day I'll get my eyes checked.