Community > Posts By > Bravalady

Bravalady's photo
Fri 05/04/12 02:17 PM
Death and taxes, is what I heard.

Bravalady's photo
Thu 05/03/12 02:59 PM
Moths are so harmless (well, except for the browntail moth, but those are pretty rare). If you have to have a phobia about invertebrates, why not pick something worthwhile like mosquitos? Or bombardier beetles.

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/01/12 06:51 PM
BTW, never give cats any human meds without checking with your vet. They're much more susceptible than dogs to those things. They can't even have aspirin, none at all.

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/01/12 06:50 PM

IDK, We have strays, the litters still hang out here with the mothers, they don't seem to fight, but they are all outdoor cats with plenty of space.

Yeah, my hunch is that space is the key, and some cats, like some people, just need more of it. I put up with Rascal's obnoxious nature because I got her to be a mouser and she was absolutely outstanding at it. Plus, she was nice enough to humans, but then I think she looked at us as her servants.

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/01/12 06:41 PM
But to respond to the original post directly, I'm not clear exactly how this is different from using generic drugs? No, I didn't read the link, I'm lazy and short of time. How does this save money?

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/01/12 06:39 PM

I wonder if this will cause big pharms to lower their outrageously bloated prices.

No, probably not. Allowing the sell of all drugs over the counter without testing for effectiveness would really lower the costs.

That's what happens now, no real testing. This is why drug ads are conducted by auctioneers so they can get all or most of the side effects into that 30 second commercial. The republicans have made sure to cut the FDA's funding so they can't do their job and make sure all these drugs are actually safe.

The drug companies have to pay for the testing, not the FDA. And they currently test a little over 8 years per drug. If the drug is rejected by the FDA, then the company spent 8 years and millions of dollars for nothing. When they finally produce a drug that gets past the FDA, they have to jack up the price to pay for the cost of drugs that failed to pass the process as well as the successful drug's testing costs.

How it should work is that a drug company can release any drug that they want, but if they release one that is dangerous, they can get sued out of business. Self preservation would ensure that they tested the drugs for safety before sale. We could elminate the FDA. We currently see the people who are killed by drugs that shouldn't have made it past the FDA, but we don't know how many die prematurely, because the FDA took too long to approve a life saving drug or refused to approve a drug which actually works for some reason. If you don't believe that happens, look around the web. You will find plenty of drugs used successfully in other countries, but they failed the FDAs testing process for one reason or another. This results in unnecessary suffering and deaths.

The trouble with this idea is that forgoing testing of drugs puts millions of people at risk for death or serious injury, and the only remedy is through lawsuits, which are after the fact. Whatever damage has been done can't be corrected by money. It's very poor medical practice, it seems to me. I also wonder if it would really benefit the drug companies so much. Doctors would be reluctant to prescribe these untested drugs since they knew nothing about potential side effects; their primary guidelines to "do no harm" couldn't be followed. Also, my hunch is that victims would tend to sue for EVEN MORE than they do now, since they would feel the company was irresponsible. Having the drugs undergo testing and then being officially approved by the government actually shields the companies from a great deal of harm, I think. It's like saying, let the auto companies dump new cars on the market without any safety testing. Who would dare to buy them?

Bravalady's photo
Tue 05/01/12 06:27 PM
Not your business, stay out of it.

Bravalady's photo
Sun 04/29/12 11:04 PM
I know seagulls are noisy and aggressive, but I can't help thinking of them as a bunch of rambunctious kids playing. I don't really mind their cries for some reason. Much better than crows.

Bravalady's photo
Sun 04/29/12 11:01 PM
Neutering both of them may help. But I had a cat that lived for 12 years with another cat, and she never accepted him. They were both neutered. It was just her personality. She literally couldn't stand the sight of him and would hiss at him even if he was across the room. We lived on a dead-end street with woods in our back yard, so I was able to let her out when she wanted. Otherwise we all would have been miserable.

Bravalady's photo
Sun 04/29/12 10:55 PM
I wouldn't mind going back to Canada. I have family in the Toronto area and haven't been there for years. Other places:
China
Vietnam and/or Thailand
Australia and New Zealand
Greece
Czech Republic, I've heard the area is beautiful
Vienna and Florence
France, especially the countryside
Great Rift Valley in Africa
Norway or somewhere else in Scandinavia for the Northern Lights
St. Petersburg
Great Britain (not just England, but Scotland and Ireland too)
The Andes
Need to explore Utah now that I'm here

Bravalady's photo
Sun 04/29/12 10:33 PM
It does seem dead lately. Wonder if it's because it's spring and people are getting outside more? I don't know.

Bravalady's photo
Sat 04/28/12 07:46 PM

So, in our learning how to talk we also simultaneously adopt an ideology(a worldview), or more philosophically speaking we learn a conceptual scheme. We believe that this or that is so because it is an integral part of learning how to put language to use.

This is true. Each language comes with its own built-in biases. For a simple example, in English the individual pronoun (I) is capitalized. This is not the case in French, Spanish, German, Russian, Italian . . . the only other languages I'm familiar with, but you get the picture. Could this possibly indicate an increased emphasis on the importance of the individual?

However, it later becomes clear that just because someone say something is so, it does not make it so. We just do not have any way to doubt what we're first being taught as very young children. So, how then do we develop the ability to be able to see error in our teachers' view/teaching?

Of course, not everybody does develop this ability by any means. Those who do, I think it's because they somehow "learned how to learn" either through experience or good teaching. They developed analytical skills. Also, they had enough self-sufficiency that this amount of change wasn't frightening to them. Or for a few people who were extremely damaged by their childhoods, when they became aware of a different way of seeing the world, they realized it could be a way out of their distress.

Bravalady's photo
Sat 04/28/12 07:21 PM
My house that I built (well you know, the contractor built it for me). Passive solar, huge windows, wide windowsills that cats slept on, natural stained wood (I stained it myself except for the kitchen cabinets which came finished), nice light walls, ceiling fans, and a non-electric propane heater so I'd stay warm even if the power went out in the winter, as it sometimes did. It was in the middle of a 5-acre field, had a south-facing garden and herbs at the back door.

Bravalady's photo
Tue 04/24/12 12:01 PM
You fed my horse addiction! Thank you! How old is Gentry? How tall? I want to know everything about him. Does he have potential for dressage?

Bravalady's photo
Tue 04/24/12 11:57 AM
My father used to pull me out of the house to listen to the "honkers," as he called them, going overhead on their fall migrations. One of the small number of pleasant memories I have of him.

Bravalady's photo
Tue 04/24/12 11:38 AM
Jill, maybe she's not as bad as the people on TV, but I bet there are some psychological issues behind this. What you described is what my grandfather's house (well, shack, to be honest) looked like on the one time I remember visiting. You literally could hardly move. It was very much his personality. He had a lot of issues. I'm not saying your mother does, but I'd tread carefully. If you have a good enough relationship with your mother, you could ask her why she's holding on to all that stuff. Find out if she can identify any possible benefit to getting rid of some of it. I think just sneaking in and cleaning the place out without her permission might cause a major ruckus. Not only might it poison your relationship with her, but I bet she'd just starting hoarding right away again anyway.

If the house is livable (fairly clean and room to move around), then to be honest, the hoarded stuff isn't doing any harm. Sure it looks ugly and it's annoying, but unless there are health or safety concerns it may have to be a case of live and let live.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 04/23/12 07:25 PM
Somehow I am missing the horribleness of this. He went to support his ex in a medical crisis? That seems to me like a man who is loyal and dependable in emergencies. Those seem to me like good things. I wonder what the other side of the story is--how long and how deeply he was involved with her, how serious her illness was, whether she had anyone else to call upon, how long and how deeply you were involved with him (doesn't sound like much from your description). Whether he came back, whether you yelled at him for being insensitive to you, a whole lot of things.

I dunno, I'm still pretty hostile to my ex-husband and it's been 30 years, but still, he's very very ill and if we lived closer to each other I would feel quite a burden on me to show him some kind of respectful attention as the father of our child, especially if he didn't have his own family to support him.

I'm not saying your feelings are wrong, and maybe he did just cold shoulder you the way you describe. But if you've really only had a few dates with him, it just doesn't seem that extreme to me.

Bravalady's photo
Mon 04/23/12 06:59 PM
Dodo! Good to see you back.

Bravalady's photo
Sun 04/22/12 11:34 PM
I can't make either of those links work.

Bravalady's photo
Sun 04/22/12 11:29 PM
Don't take it too hard, kid, they're just jealous.