Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/20/11 06:25 PM

so much for your rights to probable cause

sieg highal

what rights do you think one has as regards probable cause?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/20/11 06:23 PM

For you all worried about being stopped and checked for something you may not have, why not just make sure you have what's required in order to drive?

singmesweet why not just jump ahead and get your family rfid chipped

so you can be ready when the law takes affect?

i've read some really absurd statements on the forums but this..............

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/20/11 03:24 AM

Whatever, and however we identify the objects of our experience serves as a permanent basis. That is a tree. This is a hand, and here is yet another... these are hands.

Plan on changing these beliefs anytime soon?

:wink:

i don't think those are known as trees or hands in japan, russia, india. those are simple nouns that you use to describe them.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 09/19/11 04:36 AM

so then why not call it search and seizure not dui checkpoint

because they call them 'random checkpoints.' you simply don't get it. a random check point is issued by warrant with specific limitations on what can be searched in order to curtail certain crimes. checking for registration, license, insurance, etc., simply makes sense if a community is also concerned with the dui rate. it costs money to man and set up these checkpoints. i drive without drinking, keep my registration, insurance and dl up to date and i'll be damned if i don't want law enforcement who's salaries i help to pay through taxes to make it tough on somebody who doesn't. so you got burned for not having your paperwork in order. tough do do. get it right next time.

btw, most dui arrests made at these checkpoints would never have happened if the driver had simply kept his mouth shut. a sobriety test is a search and for a search to be legal the officer must have 'probable cause' that a crime has been committed. if he asks if you've been drinking and you answer something like, 'oh, just a beer watching the ball game', you just gave him probable cause. if his next words are, 'please step out of the car', don't be surprised.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 09/19/11 04:12 AM

i got stopped as did everybody but also detained for 20 minutes at a dui checkpoint last night

why was i detained at a dui checkpoint for 20 minutes

because my paperwork wasnt in order

is this nazi germany?

i thought this was to keep drunk people from driving

not to search for petty things

why was i asked to show my license , registration and insurance?

i dont drink but still was detained

is this why we have these checkpoints?

or is it getting us ready for marshal law?

they towed a guy in front of mes car and made him walk home on a dark road at 2 am

how is this keeping him /us safe?

dui checkpoints mean dui not papers please

we gave them the name, 'dui checkpoints'. legally they're known as random checkpoints and quite often find far more violations other than those involving dui. yes, random checkpoints does mean 'papers please.' my guess is that the guy who's car was towed had an expired registration or dl or could not show proof of insurance. everything has it's consequences.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 09/19/11 03:57 AM

"We attacked two countries on the other side of the world to make us safer...

hell, we attacked more than two in ww2.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 09/19/11 03:51 AM
super walmart for me.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 09/18/11 07:02 AM

OK - some choose not to go anyplace but are still spiritual.
So let's make the question a little broader.

Supposing you did go to a place of worship, why would you go?

Now anyone can answer that question even if they are not
religious or are atheist or observe any religion...

flowerforyou

still don't think the question can be answered by anyone. 'place of WORSHIP' is not a place i'd bother with as i worship nothing. i think the only occasion i might be seen in a church or place of worship would be if i were invited to share my views on religion. i wonder if an agnostic has ever been asked to speak in church.

What if you found yourself there by accident? Would you quickly leave, or stay to see what happened?

depends on the accident i suppose. don't drink anymore but there was a time i might have wondered in by accident thinking the choir sounded better than the live entertainment at the bar next door and maybe hang around to see what happens if there were some single chicks.

there was a guy in june 1944 who had an accident and hung around awhile. it was the night before d day. his parachute got hung up on a church steeple and he hung there until a german shot him full of holes. the poor bastard wanted to quickly leave, of course, but.............

jrbogie's photo
Sun 09/18/11 06:49 AM

People do go to church to become better people.

you may have something there. my daughter is a member of a non denominational church where the pastor and a good many of the people there are convicted felons, former gang members, drug addicts, etc. i suppose whatever gets people away from crime can't be a bad thing but it doesn't say much for inherant strenght of caracter in my view. a recent church function was a fundraisinf for a member family whose husband/father had ust been sentenced to prison for statutory rape of his daughter's best friend. this man too had a criminal past. whether or not he's a better man than he was before joining the congregation several years ago i couldn't say but that matters less than the fact that for the time being anyway a sex offender is off the streets.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 09/18/11 06:23 AM

OK - some choose not to go anyplace but are still spiritual.
So let's make the question a little broader.

Supposing you did go to a place of worship, why would you go?

Now anyone can answer that question even if they are not
religious or are atheist or observe any religion...

flowerforyou

still don't think the question can be answered by anyone. 'place of WORSHIP' is not a place i'd bother with as i worship nothing. i think the only occasion i might be seen in a church or place of worship would be if i were invited to share my views on religion. i wonder if an agnostic has ever been asked to speak in church.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 09/17/11 05:46 AM
i've seen it but was fun to watch again.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 09/17/11 04:54 AM

It is an eat or be eaten world, where all living things must consume something for energy. We are guests here, and not very good ones.

flowerforyou

huh. i keep hearing it's a dog eat dog world but ya know what? i decided i'd settle the argument once and for all. i made it my full time job to search any information i could find on the topic. i surfed the internet, read every book i could find on the topic, even intervewed several biologists and anthropologists and after all my efforts i could not find one account of a dog eating another dog. not one, ever throughout history.

but i did conclude that we live in a dig sniffs dog's butt world.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 09/16/11 08:04 AM
were did hawking state that?

jrbogie's photo
Fri 09/16/11 05:45 AM
when i ponder this question, i often think about a german concentration camp guard at auschwitiz in 1944. he's a devout christian, attends church with his loving family each sunday and donates his share when the collection plate is passed. on this day he is leading jews, among whom is a family, mother, father, daughter, son, into the gas chamber. now here is where it gets confusing to me, the nazi, if he asks forgiveness for his sins after the war, will enjoy raising his children, playing with his grand children and otherwise basking in the warmth we call life. and when that ends he'll ascend to heaven where he'll meet his loved ones. the jewish family on the other hand, not believing precisely as the german that jesus is the son of god, will burn in hell for eternity. that's just sick man.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 09/16/11 05:24 AM
well said, red.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 09/15/11 06:25 PM

Well according to science, what was before the big bang, they don't know, but they consider the question irrelevant since time didn't exist.

not so. the question is definately relevant. we just have no evidence to suggest what was before the big bang.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 09/15/11 04:35 AM

Not suggesting agree with everyone else on something that's improbable, but we both know the agnosticism which deals with knowledge and atheism deals with disbelief.

no, we most certainly do not both know or agree. agnosticism is about the unknowable, not knowledge and atheism has nothing to do with belief or disbelief. the rest of your post i've no comment on as we cannot agree on the terms.

I think you are using the definition on a one sided plane. As you can see from the wiki it states what it is, then later states that modern people use the term to mean "unknowable":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Etymology

Again it states this as i quote:

"Agnostic (Greek: ἀ- a-, without + γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) was used by Thomas Henry Huxley in a speech at a meeting of the Metaphysical Society in 1876[10] to describe his philosophy which rejects all claims of spiritual or mystical knowledge. Early Christian church leaders used the Greek word gnosis (knowledge) to describe "spiritual knowledge." Agnosticism is not to be confused with religious views opposing the ancient religious movement of Gnosticism in particular; Huxley used the term in a broader, more abstract sense.[11] Huxley identified agnosticism not as a creed but rather as a method of skeptical, evidence-based inquiry.[12]
In recent years, scientific literature dealing with neuroscience and psychology has used the word to mean "not knowable".[13] In technical and marketing literature, agnostic often has a meaning close to "independent"—for example, "platform agnostic" or "hardware agnostic."" - from the Wiki

As for what i was talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Types_of_agnosticism

Seems to me you take the portion that conform to you and get rid of everything else to fit what you want, if that's your reasons fine, but please don't make it seem like i'm wrong about the definitions, but then again to me it seems more like your opinion and we will be going back and fourth, but using this to educate anyone else who slides through this thread.

and really atheism is not a disbelief in Gods? Please educate me, maybe i been wrong these past three years. bigsmile

once again. agnostic: regarding what is unknown and unknowable.
atheist: absent theism. you'll note that the word 'belief' or any variation thereof is not part of either description. and i never refer to wiki as a reliable source. and people come to a dating site to be educated???laugh hey man. good one.:banana:

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 04:26 PM

Not suggesting agree with everyone else on something that's improbable, but we both know the agnosticism which deals with knowledge and atheism deals with disbelief.

no, we most certainly do not both know or agree. agnosticism is about the unknowable, not knowledge and atheism has nothing to do with belief or disbelief. the rest of your post i've no comment on as we cannot agree on the terms.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 04:20 PM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 09/14/11 04:24 PM

no, we most certainly do not both know or agree. agnosticism is about the unknowable, not knowledge and atheism has nothing to do with belief or disbelief. the rest of your post i've no comment on.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 10:03 AM

Also, this is why atheism and agnosticism is not mutually exclusive. You can be agnostic atheist, meaning you don't have knowledge to that Gods exists or not, but because there is no evidence you don't have to "believe" one exist. If you refer to Dawkins scale, i would consider myself a strong 6:

i've never agreed with this description. i think 'agnostic atheist' to be a misnomer. as you yourself quoted, agnosticism regards what in unknown AND UNKNOWABLE meaning there can be no evidence. and dawkins has everybody screwed up on these definitions.

I find it interesting you're the only person that disagree with this, but to each his own.

i do pride myself on my unique perspective on most things. when i begin to agree with everyone else, i'll worry about my sanity.