Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 10:00 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 09/14/11 10:07 AM

I've read through some of your posts and you really do across very negative. Maybe that's your take on life.

oh, if i sound negative as regards religion then you indeed do have me pegged. i see religious dogma as one of the most if not the most causual effects of most of what's wrong with humans in general. i go out of my way to attack religion as others might attack desease or polution simply because i think the world would be a healthier and more peaceful place to live were religious dogma that was the source of the crusades, the inquisition, the salem witch trials and now this jihad we must all endure were all brought into the light that it deserves.

"you'll have the final say when i'm done sayin'." I might have to hint you're coming across a little childish aswell. It's almost sounding like... I am right, you are wrong. I am bigger, you are weaker.

you're the one who's resorted to name calling. and now we can add your use of 'childish'.

I would ask you to kindly keep out of my thread, but I doubt that would happen, so I`ll have to ignore you instead waving

you don't own this or any thread. mingle does. this thread is part of an open forum. when you post in open forum you can expect openness, not simply what suits you. and yes, indeed. you do have a little scroll wheel on that mousey thingy. works great for scrolling right on past posts you'd care to ignore. and after all this arguement you're just now discovering that???

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 06:09 AM

ahh mr negative returns to the thread.

mr. negative? and you want civil discourse without labels?

The reason for asking the confirmation of the 2 words, is because Mingle2 only gives you those options, Non-Believer, Atheist, Agnostic and then different religions. There's no middle ground with 'weak' or 'pure'.

well being one who does not allow mingle or anybody else provide my options i wouldn't know. i choose my options.

So let me get this right, you know me better than I do? You're calling me a weak Atheist, but that is a non-believer and not even capable of believing. I never said that.

and i never said that. called you nothing whatsoever. simply gave you my take on how you described your thinking. i don't consider what is and is not 'capable of believing' as you put it. your words, not mine.

According to the dictionary, if I am either Agnostic or an Atheist, then I fall under Agnostic, or if you want to call it 'weak Agnostic', then go ahead. As I am uncertain of the link between not believing one day and then beieving the next. So I am openly saying it is possible there is a God, I just haven't found him myself.

and as such, you don't meet my definition of an agnostic nor any dictionary definition that i'd accept. that you think it possible to one day know god suggests that you think god is knowable. and yet agnostic refers to the UNKNOWN AND UNKNOWABLE.

This is why I posted in an open relgious forum, to learn and understand how each individual believe that they found God.

and now you have my take on the topic.

So you go ahead and call me what you think is correct, but I will disagree because this is me, what we're talking about anyway and I get final say winking

seems you're the only one here calling anybody anything. 'mr. negative' as i recall. you'll have the final say when i'm done sayin'.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 05:21 AM

Also, this is why atheism and agnosticism is not mutually exclusive. You can be agnostic atheist, meaning you don't have knowledge to that Gods exists or not, but because there is no evidence you don't have to "believe" one exist. If you refer to Dawkins scale, i would consider myself a strong 6:

i've never agreed with this description. i think 'agnostic atheist' to be a misnomer. as you yourself quoted, agnosticism regards what in unknown AND UNKNOWABLE meaning there can be no evidence. and dawkins has everybody screwed up on these definitions.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 05:07 AM

Why do you have to label it though? That's my point, we're trying to label everything.

we don't. you and mh brought up dictionary definitions for labels.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 05:03 AM

Then I am correct in classing myself as Agnostic, as I simply don't know... not that I am skeptical, but neutral.

not knowing does not make you agnostic. agnostic means unknown AND UNKNOWABLE. you obviously think that you can know god as that is the entire thrust of your original post. agnosticism actualy has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. gnostic means knowledge or what is knowable. agnostic, just the oposite. albert einstein often said that the human brain was incapable of knowing anything absolutely.

i'd put you in the category of 'weak atheist'. one who does not think there is convincing evidence for god but who could be convinced if evidence were produced. an agnostic thinks no such evidence can ever be produced.

I am wondering about those didn't know, but now do :wink: I'm trying to understand that leap.

simple really. they don't know now. they believe. were you a true agnostic you'd realize that one can only know that which he experiences himself.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 04:51 AM

jrbogie seems to be off...

1st he says I am wrong regarding the definitions between the 2 words, which as you've quoted above is the correct version as I know it aswell, or is the dictionary wrong?

there are several dictionaries and several definitions for each word in each dictionary. mh cited one definition for each word. in fact there are categories of atheisim, strong atheist, weak atheist, etc., and few atheist would use the word 'belief', as mh's chosen definition does, in describing their thoughs on god's existance.

2nd he says you've slapped me with the religion book, when all you did was provied a website link? Strange. I requested information on how people can actually be converted or come to realise on their own accord (later in life) about the exsistence of God. Instead we go off talking about Nascar and the other woman gives her opinions about you can't be born again.

hey, you began a thread in an open religious forum. expect anything.

Nobody has actually given me their own story about finding God.

Also try and put across something without capital letters or exclamation marks!!! It's just a civil conversation :wink:

k. here's a story about finding god. found him listening to my parents as a child. lost him after returning from vietnam.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 09/14/11 04:40 AM

I find atheists, generally, to be more rational than theists. (Though there are exceptions!).

http://xkcd.com/258/

hahaha. the atheist/agnostic forum has become a joke i guess. no fun when so manny agree.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/13/11 03:57 PM

Thanks I`ll have a look.

lol. you just got religion crammed in your face through the back door. and she used wiki to do it. hey cowboy, did you see that? get off quoting all tha scripture and wiki us to death.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/13/11 03:53 PM

Just out of clarification, Atheist is an absolute non-believer, but Agnostic means they're open to possibliies or am I wrong?

yep, you're wrong. many atheists are open to the possibility of god's existence. they simply will not consider god without some evidence. an agnostic does not even consider the possibility of god existing. we think that the human mind is incapable of knowing god, the afterlife or any supernatural phenomena.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/13/11 03:43 PM

Christianity is not about "religion".

saying christianity is not about religion is not unlike saying nascar is not about cars.

Nascar isn't about cars. Nascar is about racing, they just so happen to use cars to race with. And besides that, trucks race in Nascar as well, so that alone ends your theory on it.

i stand corrected so i'll rephrase in a manner even a true nascar fan can understand:

saying christianity is not about religion is not unlike saying nascar is not about racing in cars and trucks or whatever will bring in big bucks for the organizers. better, cowboy?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/13/11 10:46 AM

Christianity is not about "religion".

saying christianity is not about religion is not unlike saying nascar is not about cars.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/13/11 05:51 AM
human life is no more or less precious than any life.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 09/13/11 05:43 AM

a mischaracterization of what I said which was

' my experience has been that 'society' (human beings in general) seem to accept a much lower standard of ethics than 'christians'

NOTICE THE DISCLAIMER of 'my experience has been'

i understood well that it was simply your experience. i simply related my own, quit different experience.

of course someone running for a marathon is going to train a bit harder than someone merely trying to stay fit

likewise, someone who is concerned with the guidelines for healthy SPIRITUAL living is more likely to study and train a bit harder than those who just feel it will work itself out without the same effort,,,

but one need not rely on a god to train morally. and of course not knowing what 'spiritual living' is i obviously would not bother training for it.

as far as following rules requiring no thought,, that is another misnomer by those who have some issue with rules EVEN if they make sense

make senese to whom? i see the bible as nonsense so i've constructed my own rules for living an ethical life. doing so required a lot more thought than simply reading a bible and listening to ministers to form a moral compass.

people choose all the time what rules they will follow, including christians, so the idea they give no thought before they act in concordance or in rebellion is nonsensical at best

i understand your thinking. i think differently.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 09/11/11 11:34 AM

It is not necessarily true that all beliefs can change Jb. That depends upon much more than just the content of the belief itself.

any and all beliefs are subject to change. my guess would be that most if not all people who believe in god would say that their belief cannot be changed and yet many former faithful such as me no longer believe in god. so our belief that we thought could never change in fact did. what belief cannot change? again, i'm not referring to something we've experienced that requires no belief but something that is believed to be true that we've not actually experienced. what do you believe today that is impossible for you to believe differently in the future?

jrbogie's photo
Sun 09/11/11 11:19 AM

There are some things that it just makes no sense to doubt.

such as?

Makes no sense for me to doubt that I'm alive, that I've had two sons, that I have parents, that I've siblings and other family members, that I'll die one day, what my name is, etc.

of course, other than dieing you've experienced those other things so you know them and they require no belief. as far as dieing goes, call me overly hopeful but i do in fact have some doubt that i will die. extremely minute i'll admit but the speed at which medical science has been going i'm not at all sure that life must always end. so once again; belief is not required to know what i've experienced and not appropriate for anything i've not experienced. seems to work for you, not for me.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 09/11/11 11:06 AM

I don't think skin color qualifies as a mutation, at least not in my book.

well no wonder we never seem to be on the same page jeannie. i've never read your book.:banana:

jrbogie's photo
Sat 09/10/11 03:14 PM

I'm talking about six eyes. Not skin color.laugh laugh :tongue:

i answered this question of yours, jeannie.

"Can a mutation breed and produce similar mutations?"

jrbogie's photo
Sat 09/10/11 03:11 PM
Edited by jrbogie on Sat 09/10/11 03:12 PM

jrbogie's photo
Sat 09/10/11 03:10 PM

Subject: Darwinian evolution.

So as far as evolution is concerned, through mutation, can this frog inseminate some frog eggs that will have six eyes? Or would it require both a male and female breeding to produce like offspring?

happens quite often actually. skin pigmentation?

jrbogie's photo
Sat 09/10/11 03:06 PM

There are some things that it just makes no sense to doubt.

such as?

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next