Community > Posts By > SouthIslander

SouthIslander's photo
Sat 11/17/12 10:13 AM
Right now is not a good time to be a buyer of computers. Windows 8 is still coming out with benchmark testing and we are still trying to figure out whether it's gonna come with more bugs than New York's underbelly like Vista or not. Apple is being driven into the ground by PC sales right now and thus far no announcements about how or whether Apple will combat this. Apple seems more focused on trying to outsell Android Phones than PCs right now. I'd HIGHLY suggest you buy something used or cheap for now... save your cash and wait till Gateway comes out with their next generation of FX series PCs... or Asus (who was bought by Gateway). Avoid Dell like the venerable venereal disease that has become that company... which honestly is heartbreaking since they bought Alienware. If all else fails or your money is burning a hole in your pocket... simply flip off the brand name isle and build your own. Some of the cases that have come out recently are insane looking and would make for a computer that is as much trophy worthy of being shown off as it is useful.

SouthIslander's photo
Sat 11/17/12 10:06 AM
As I am 28 I look around at my life and realize that a hell of a lot has changed since I was 18. Also since I started college a few years ago. These changes haven't necessarily just been with me... however it has had a lot to do with how I am and how I act.

First off for heterosexual men like me... women are getting hotter and finally begin to know what they want and how to use what they have. Sex... dear lord is obscenely better than it ever was with the hottest girlfriend I had in my teens. Also... women are comfortable to be out with you... they will wear the clothes that make them look hot and have no problem wearing them around you whether you're their boyfriend or not. Women also think it's funny to make out with you and the girl you liked from the bar... for some odd reason at this point in life sex is awesome with one partner... but they usually want another and for once you're not a perv for asking for that too.

Now for gays... NEVER turn down a gay friend be them lesbians or gay men. The reasons are multiple... with gay men... they can take you shopping with them and help you actually find clothes that are comfortable and do make you look good... it's like having your own fashion assistant. Also... gay men like to drink just like you do... except they don't want that shitty whiskey that makes you look tough... they want to try drinks that actually don't taste like horse p***. Gay men are also a chick magnet... not sure why except it's kind of like waving this giant advertising flag saying, "I don't judge people!".

Lesbian women are not against doing things with you regardless of how butch they may try to act... also they notice hot women faster than you do and they can go have 'women talks' about you hooking up with anyone you meet. I know it's heartbreaking to meet that amazing woman who is so hot you feel like you'd get burned trying to grab her *** and shes a lesbian... on the bright side she will think it's funny to make out with you when shes drunk and that can lead to more fun.

On the down side... you're finally beginning to realize who is growing up and becoming a full fledged adult and who isn't. Time to start snipping those ties to that drama queen and your male divas. Also you're either in college... or sitting behind a grill in Taco Bell like most of your graduating class. For many of us... our late teens and early twenties was concerts, parties, and other not so legal to talk about events... basically living the youth you got robbed of by your parents. Now you're either getting your **** together or getting it kicked out. If you walk in talking about how bad your classes were... how much of a pain that exam was... or how boring your psychology class was... you're standing proud. Most come in complaining about how their boss keeps calling them lazy and complaining that they can't keep track of forty burgers on the industrial grill and shouldn't be held responsible for burning a few of them.

Just some food for thought... not trying to toot my own horn... just looking to see if others agree.

SouthIslander's photo
Sat 11/17/12 09:37 AM
OK Folks, literally since I've been here I've discovered some wonderful things and some very disturbing. First of all for those who are geographically challenged... Galveston is considered an island but is primarily a sand bar we put buildings on. I work out on Pelican island so thankfully I can hop off the island from time to time. I f***ing love waking up and stumbling out of my apartment to see the ocean each morning... I admit that is better than a shot of espresso in a crappy Starshmucks many times over. Living here means you're around the places people hope to go vacation to every day of your life out here... the catch... is you're also around the people hoping to vacation out here... lots of tourists congesting traffic.

Also if you fart here... the whole island knows... word of mouth spreads about the speed of light. I literally told someone I was quitting at my job and headed straight there... as I walked in the boss lady had my papers out and ready. Out here you have to do one of two things... either stay clamped shut and don't ever let your tongue slip out information unless you want it to be public knowledge... Or care less about the world than picturing it as a spec of dust beneath your feet. I lived in San Francisco and I thought word spread there fast... literally on an island filled with people who have nothing better to do than gossip and your any and every detail are plastered around the island as if you were a celebrity.

Now with that in mind... you'd think that if you were a good guy... one who is helpful, knows how to cook, intelligent, powerful, and generally the thing a lot of women complain about not having... you'd be flocked to faster than a chocolate factory having a free samples day. Not the case... there is this general stigma here that you do not go out with folks on the island and especially not in your university. If you so much as accidentally flirt with anyone... they know... and worse... too many know and now you look like a playboy. Have sex... and hell they might as well have been standing there with yall... they know more about it by the time you walk out in your strut than had you just had a voyeur exhibition.

So what is a guy to do about trying to find someone? I don't want to date anyone from the island primarily because of this issue. I prefer the times when a woman I broke it off with months ago knows a couple flaws... and generally no one gave a s**t.

SouthIslander's photo
Fri 11/16/12 03:34 PM
sanity not included