Community > Posts By > spooklog

spooklog's photo
Sun 12/30/12 07:12 PM
Your post is a great one and you raise many excellent points.

An important issue is how science treats paranormal phenomena. Skeptics are important to have on hand, but I've found that many otherwise intelligent skeptics are simply closed-minded. When faced with a truly unexplainable event, they will begin to concoct evermore complex and unlikely "natural" explanations. Using "Occam's Razor" (choosing the simplest explanation first) is great, but skeptics often ignore it--sometimes hypothesizing that an event is paranormal is the simplest & best approach. Further, many skeptics pose as rational and open-minded, when in fact they are the opposite. Their response to a possibly supernatural experience is to reflexively deny it, and there is nothing rational or open-minded about that. All too often skeptics are ignoring exciting, potentially new avenues of scientific inquiry.

We also need to keep in mind that many paranormal events have a consistent nature: They are often personal in nature, and they are often one-off, or, non-repeating. These two qualities make the paranormal very resistant to the scientific method. Please note that this exposes a serious weakness in the scientific method and shuts off all sorts of fascinating events to rational inquiry. Because a strange event is mostly subjective and because it can't be repeated on cue, does NOT make it irrational, impossible, etc.

If anyone is interested in my take on paranormal, I've got a blog about my own odd experiences you might want to check out: http://www.spooklog.com

spooklog's photo
Sun 12/30/12 06:42 PM
Edited by spooklog on Sun 12/30/12 06:42 PM

spooklog's photo
Sun 12/30/12 06:42 PM
I've experienced quite a bit of paranormal activity on a regular basis, for nearly two decades. You might be interested to check out my blog, at www.spooklog.com.

spooklog's photo
Sun 12/30/12 06:34 PM
Your situation has been an interest of mine for some time, that is, when people who are ill/on medication, have paranormal experiences. This can make it difficult for other people to believe you, and can even make it challenging to believe yourself. But I strongly suspect that a person who has been under prolonged stress due to illness can become more sensitive to supernatural phenomena.

The advice to remain calm, continue meds and not act on premonitions is very good. Sometimes the line between the paranormal and an illness is blurred.

One recommendation I would make is to keep a journal of your experiences--nothing fancy, just keep a window open on your computer where you can jot down a few notes every time something happens. You'll find reviewing your journal every few weeks to be very useful and enlightening.

The fact that you made such a reasonable appeal for help here is a good sign of your common-sense and intelligence. Please keep us informed on how you are doing!