Community > Posts By > whow

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 08:16 PM

Hey I dig, if a certain category won't understand the term "down to earth," I dig, and I hope it isn't used except by those who have already excluded those who have already excluded certain brain-types. Hmm... Maybe it means nothing then, for the general public? (i.e. productively)

I didn't exclude you sugar, but I'm so down to earth I realized you didn't see things outside the box so I explained it to you in your terms. I'm not insulting you, you're highly intelligent. But I'm willing to bet you don't paint, write poetry or sing... Nothing wrong with that, you are who you are.

I like your reply. It's to say, though, that a term is valid only if you "paint, write, poetry[sic] or sing..." It seems to me one's language should be meaningful to all in order to maximize communication.

I never said that YOU misread what I did say.

(again in your language) that you see things as concrete, black and white and this term is not a black and white issue. What I consider to be "down to earth" is not what Jill or you or others may see as down to earth. The definition as Tina stated is the definition, however it's connotation to everyone may be different. It doesn't make anyone wrong, it makes them human.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and go on to say that not only do you not paint, sing or write, you also only wear solid color clothing or with a slight stripe, your alarm goes off at the same time everyday and you do not believe in magic.

I absolutely agree that ideas are all about greys. Language, on the other hand, depends on constants. I will contend that proclaiming something means something given even waht we've seen tonight means it is not a useful term to use. Why not fall on others? And if so, I would like to hear those replacements!

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:59 PM

Hey I dig, if a certain category won't understand the term "down to earth," I dig, and I hope it isn't used except by those who have already excluded those who have already excluded certain brain-types. Hmm... Maybe it means nothing then, for the general public? (i.e. productively)

I didn't exclude you sugar, but I'm so down to earth I realized you didn't see things outside the box so I explained it to you in your terms. I'm not insulting you, you're highly intelligent. But I'm willing to bet you don't paint, write poetry or sing... Nothing wrong with that, you are who you are.

I like your reply. It's to say, though, that a term is valid only if you "paint, write, poetry[sic] or sing..." It seems to me one's language should be meaningful to all in order to maximize communication.

I misquoted "write poetry," my apologies.

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:56 PM

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:52 PM

It means you have no class.
ummmmmmm no this is the correct meaning:Down to earth is an English idiom meaning 'practical and realistic'

I think the myriad replies speaks volumes.

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:49 PM
Excellent contribution -- all open to interpretion, yes? What is there if there's no conensus then?

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:45 PM

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:34 PM
Okay, so everybody! ::

It seems to me this "down to earth" term is something that is totally to interpretation but doesn't really mean anything. If this is the case, what does it mean when you assign literal meaning to it? Does that mean it's a flirting tool to those who use it?

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:29 PM

A person who can take a joke and make one about themselves, someone who can roll with the punches and not get all dramatic about things, someone who is excepting of other people without loosing their own identity, someone you can sit and talk with and not feel strained in the conversation, someone who may not be the smartest bean in the bag but can carry on an intelligent conversation and if they don't know about a subject aren't afraid to ask what something means, someone who isn't about clothes and hair and appearances.

Does that help?

So it is an all-encompassing positive, desirable profile of somebody?

Note-to-self: "down to earth" desires = lazy potential mate?

whow's photo
Thu 09/25/08 07:22 PM
Please enlighten.

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 11:26 PM
They would have to be some talented twins to pull it off. Compare injuries each time they swap and bandage appropriately. Use Clearasil every night. It boggles the mind. shocked

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 11:15 PM
If you had been dating the man/woman of your dreams for a few months and then learned they were actually identical twins taking shifts, would you say something or play dumb?

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 10:54 PM

happy If your ex sent you a text out of the blue, that said "I'm sad , confused and depressed. "happy

happy What would you do? happy

Send her an invoice for 15 cents, 20 cents starting in August.

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 10:51 PM
She would probably just exploit a loophole by leaving her permanent address on her driver's license somewhere else. No problem! flowers

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 10:23 PM
If they can get 'em, they can have 'em.

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 10:19 PM

damn it....shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!mad mad mad

laugh That's what I was thinking!

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 09:48 PM

single...you can always find a coudle buddy =)

Plus, just because you find the right person doesn't mean you have to get married.

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 09:29 PM

what sign are you............

Aries

A damn fine automobile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJH3Jelevc

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 09:24 PM
My wallpaper at work: http://www.thinkcooper.com/images/weiner_dog_in_bun.jpg

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 09:01 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_divorce_070507_mn.jpg

whow's photo
Sun 07/13/08 07:30 PM
Flips out over things. No thanks on the angry women!

Previous 1 3 4 5