Monsters

2ndPLT's photo
Tue 07/23/13 12:44 AM

2ndPLT's photo
Tue 07/23/13 12:41 AM
Rodrico

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:53 PM
Hmm, that picture I took was REALLY recent, as in I took it when I made profile because I don't have any pictures of me :3

What kind of other pictures should I have/take?

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:31 PM
Doge

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:25 PM
Edited by 2ndPLT on Mon 07/22/13 07:40 PM

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:24 PM
Serfdom

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:22 PM
Freedom

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:21 PM
==================================================================
2 Minutes
"Oh -sweep!-, this is it." After surviving all this, to die like this, disgraceful.
This was his last thought. Precisely 23 hours and 30 minutes ago, Andrew was bitten by a zombie.

In the time before, Andrew was a starving student. Going to college, being so broke that he had to choose between milk and cereal for his breakfast/lunch and his dinner was a steaming hot bowl of ramen noodles. He fought sleep during morning classes and panicked during tests. All in all he was an average person destined for an average life...or so he thought.

He had heard the news online weeks ago. There was an epidemic and half the country was quarantined. No one gets in or out. They released a list of symptoms and told everyone to report to the nearest DOVRAC employee if they had any of them, no matter how minor they thought it was.The symptoms were vast, from shakey hands and sweating, to a loss of pigmentation in the skin and loss of energy, to hallucinations similar to a bad trip on lysergic acid diethylamide.They left out the most important symptom though. A symptom the whole world would soon know. Zombification.

He had thought it was somewhat interesting, but he had bigger, more immediate concerns. He had placed his faith in DOVRAC and the military to keep it contained. What a misguided venture that was his mind would echo whenever he thought back on it.

One day during a particularly early class, Andrew was trying to stay awake as usual. Another day Something was different on this day though. It started with some unknown commotion in the background. Sounded like a party at first, then the noise got closer, and clearer. Screams of pain and fear. Feet stamping. Soon, everyone in the classroom was at the window trying to see into the courtyard. Andrew hadn't gotten up from his table near the door, a move that probably saved his life back then. He could see between his grouped classmates, an open spot meant for him. He saw a splash of red on that spot, and heard his classmates scream so loud that it fully woke up his tired bones. The window shattered seconds later, and people started falling out of it. At the time he didn't know what they were falling into, but he never forgot their blood curdling screams. He had no idea what he was doing. He just ran. Everyone in the classroom piled towards the door, he was just the first one out of it. He ran into the hall, packed full of panicking people. He maneuvered out of them and into a bathroom where he spent much time just hiding. He sat on top of a toilet for 12 hours, listening to their screams and the gurgling of blood. It was the most horrific experience of his life.
After that time the noises stopped, and he decided to look around. The hallway floor was red with blood. More blood than he had ever seen in his life. So much blood it was almost incomprehensible. He continued on towards his classroom. Opening the door, he saw even more devastation. Broken glass and blood everywhere. Near the windows there were bodies strewn about. He was not genre blind. Everything he had seen on the news sites in the past couple of weeks all clicked, and suddenly he knew what was going on. He grabbed his backpack from under his desk, and dug in the pockets, looking for something he could use as a weapon. As he dug, the bodies of his former classmates began to rise. He quickly took his hand out of his pack and began using it as a flail. After beating back his former friends, he ran through the building, bashing the zombies in his way with his full bookbag.

They fell before him, but he knew it wasn't enough to kill them. He eventually made it to the door and upon opening it, was filled with dread. The moans of the dead echoed across the landscape, and blood was splattered everywhere. There seemed to be no one left alive on the entire campus. At first, he didn't know where he should go or what he should do. He just ran, forward when he could, and when the way was blocked by the dead, he would turn in a random direction.
Eventually, he stopped to catch his breath, and when he did he thought his luck changed. On the ground next to his feet lay a blood soaked pistol. He picked it up and fumbled with it for a moment trying to figure out how to get the magazine out. In movies and games they always just seemed to pop out. Eventually he found the button and ejected the magazine. It was pretty heavy and the slit on the side of the magazine exposed several brass shells. With a gun and a breather he thought about his next move. He reasoned that he should get some food from the campus cafeteria and then head to his dorm.

His path to the cafeteria was winding and much longer than it would be on a normal day, as he snuck around, determined to avoid the zombies rather than fight them. When he got to the cafeteria, he raided it for the items you could eat on a run, dumping his backpack of books and replacing it with food until his pack could barely close. He then looked inside a supply closet for anything he could use as a weapon, finally settling on a mop he planned to use as a spear. To this end he broke the mop head off. After this, he was off to his dorm, using his new found spear and stealth to get around and through the zombies.

Back at his apartment, he changed into more comfortable utility gear. Clothes that gave him a range of motion, but didn't have spots that could be easily grabbed or snagged.He also made sure to grab a tent and a blanket. With his weapons and his pack of food, he set off in the direction away from the big cities.
Using the tent he took with, he set up a small private location in the woods outside of a small town. He stayed there unbothered until the day he realized his food was almost out. He then took his gun and his "spear" into the town and began looking for food and things he could use as weapons. Once his backpack was full, he would head back to his tent and spend all his time there, not leaving until he was out of supplies. He always avoided battles with zombies, and would flee when he was seen. This went on for months, with him never seeing another living person. For all he knew, he was the last man alive on the earth. On one of his scavenging missions he found and old buck knife, and he used it to sharpen the end of his "Spear" into a proper sharp end that he was sure would punch through a zombie's soft skull. Through great luck and skill he still hadn't had to actually kill a zombie.

Eventually, he spent much longer and had to travel far further to find anything he could use. This was when he realized, that he would have to move. When he got back to his tent, he went to sleep, and the next morning, he packed up his tent and set off for lands unknown to him. At least, they were unknown to him now. Pre-apoacalypse he knew his geography, but now he had no idea what laid in store for him.After weeks of traveling, he decided to set up a small base in the wilderness outside of an industrial park next to a city.

He scavenged some sheet metal to make a small shield for his tent, so that a zombie wouldn't come to him and eat him through his tent in the middle of the night. He also found a metal spike, and using some materials and tools he found in the industrial park, he put a steel head on his spear and carved the word "Rhongomiant" on the shaft, after the spear of King Arthur. He used this spear to great effect during his subsequent scavenging missions in the city, and his gun had never been drawn from his pocket.

Months later, during one scavenging mission, he was digging through a pile when he was suddenly set upon by a horde. They were everywhere, completely surrounding him. With his spear in hand, he fought back against the tide of the undead, but a broom handle was not meant for this kind of combat, and eventually his spear head broke off inside one of the zombies. He kept using the remaining section to push them back, until it went between a pair of zombies, and was snapped in half by the zombie's arm crashing down on it. With no options left, he pulled his gun from his pocket and began firing into the crowd.

He aimed each shot at the heads, and because they were so close, he hit everyone. Soon though, his gun jammed and in desperation, he threw it at the zombies. His back was to a window, and with all his might he tried to break it open. He was successful, and he ran up the alleyway behind the building, trying to put as much distance between him and the ruckus he just caused. Once again, he found sanctuary in a public bathroom, and stayed there for hours. Eventually he deemed it safe to go outside, and that's when his life was over. A zombie who just happened to be walking near the bathroom, stumbled right into his arm as he walked out, and bit him once, hard. He shoved the zombie off of him and freaked.

He didn't know much about what causes people to turn, but he knew getting bit was bad. He remembered a table saw at the industrial park, and after wrapping himself up in bandages, he set off for there at maximum speed. Once he got there, he realized there was no power in the entire city, let alone for his table saw. He ran for city hall, hoping that there would be a map with the location of the power plant on it. He had no weapons anymore, but that didn't matter at the moment. He had bigger, more immediate concerns. He eventually found the city hall, and dug through its files until he found out where the city used to get power from. He got lucky and found paperwork that stated where, and a map to its location. He immediately set off.

He didn't know how to hotwire a car after all this time, but he wasn't thinking about that now. What he was thinking about was the symptom list. He could feel the fatigue and the sweating already. He had no mirror to look in to check his complexion.He wondered when the hallucinations would hit. The power plant was tens of miles out of town, but he didn't care, his only thoughts were the symptom check list, and getting to the power plant and back before that last symptom hit.

A few hours later, he did make it to the power plant campus. He looked around for buildings and doors. Anything he could enter. He had no idea how to turn on a power plant, but knew there must be a way to turn it on for a few hours. He busted down windows and doors, and checked every room he saw, but anything he did see, he couldn't make sense of. He didn't stop though, and upon finding a console, he went at it. He pushed buttons randomly, hoping that one of them would turn on the plant, and not blow it up. A nearby computer screen flashed "EMERGENCY" and he realized he would have to find an override command. He dug around the offices and the rooms looking for a manual on how to use the machine, and upon finding one, read through it looking for emergency override controls.

His luck was both uncannily good and uncannily bad. He found the override and turned it on. The plant roared to life, but he believed that he couldn't make it last long. He turned around, ready to run back to town, to the table saw. He started running, but began to feel dizzy. He sat down on the ground trying to get his barrings. Eventually, he realized that he had no time for that. It was getting dark, and the longer the virus was in his body, the more it would spread. To save his life, and even possibly the last of humanity, he had to cut his arm off with the saw. He jumped up and started running.

He ran into the wilderness outside of the power plant, the powerlines above his head roaring with electricity. He felt eyes on him, looking at him from the forest. In fact, he could see the eyes, and faces on the trees. He stopped to look, realizing what this was, and as soon as he stopped he collapsed.

"Oh -sweep!-, this is it." where his last words, and his last thoughts were self loathing.

After that, he slipped into unconsciousness, and stayed that way for a horrible 30 minutes. Then, he got up again. Mindless, wild-eyed, slower than he was, but could run at full speed for longer than he could before. Following his last mission, he stumbled in the direction of the town. he didn't know why he was going there. He didn't know anything, because he didn't exist as himself anymore. Now, he was just a zombie stumbling towards a familiar city.

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:21 PM
It Ends Tomorrow
The kid’s name was Kyle. I found that out later. The woman though… I knew her. Not from before, but still. Her name was Rebecca Chamberlain. She was a friendly woman, very caring, and always tried to help people. How she survived the apocalypse with that attitude intact, I will never know, but she did. Perhaps she had a little help from above? Heh, I’m probably one of the only people who still think like that without including the phrase “Humanity is corrupt and needs to be destroyed!”

Still, she was different, something special. A wide smile framed by collar length brunette hair, all hiding her bloody past so well you would think the world was at peace, with kind, but hollow jade colored eyes that, however beautiful, looked so empty. But this story isn’t just about her, it is about Kyle also. Like all good journalists, I pieced this story from the fragments of people who knew them. Kyle was young; there wasn’t much of his life from before the end. I heard he did want to make history though, and his way of doing that was to join the army. Rebecca on the other hand, well… she was still younger than she should have been in the end, but she had experience under her belt. When this all happened she was as lieutenant 2nd class in the army. I heard her platoon was torn up defending some small town in the Midwest. Only she, a man private named Alex Black, and a kid they saved made it out of the horror. That was what I was told, but it doesn’t explain the motives of some people in this drama.

Anyway, the kid was a 17 year old Kyle Metzgar. Taller than Rebecca and Alex, with reminiscent of a Saint Bernard and eyes that shined like the sea on a bright day. Like everyone nowadays he was skinny, almost malnourished looking, but I have a feeling he always looked like that. Poor kid, his 18th was later that same month. What a crappy milestone. Anyway, apparently they had been traveling together for months before I met them. Always running, like most people do, like I did before I met our group. I heard they had been attacked by more than their share of bandits as they traveled to our corner of the world. The constant influx of bandits made things dangerous, but because of it, they were always well stocked on ammunition. The boy was coming into his own as a blade wielder, having picked up a sword in some town long past, and Rebecca was a crack shot with a rifle. Alex wasn’t useless either, though I never did personally see his skills. Their list of adventures on the way here reads out like Journey to the West which is funny because they were actually headed west, but instead of searching for 7 scrolls, and a mischievous monkey king learning a lesson, they were just searching for a safe place, and a mentor and pupil got closer than they should.

When I met them, they were tired, beat up, and looking for shelter. In my usual way I brought them to our compound. They were surprised at how organized and structured we were. At first they thought we were remnants of the military or government. Strange how that made them hostile to us, good thing we had a former soldier as a prisoner, emphasis on had. After that they decided to join us.
I never talked with Kyle. Had no desire to hear the ramblings of an over eager and scared child, and I never had the chance to talk with Alex. He disappeared one day shortly after they arrived, went out for supplies and never came back. That happens so often that we barely make note of it. Rebecca was concerned, but always hopeful. She always believed that he wouldn’t just die like that. Despite surviving the same hell that we are, their party lived in a different world. A world where things like hope and kindness still existed. It was a world I could no longer imagine.

I had plenty of opportunity to chat with Rebecca, and she told me all about their adventures together, repeatedly calling them “Adventures.” She also told me about her past, and why a nice girl like her would join the army. It was to gain strength, so that she could act when she needed to and not freeze up like she did many bloody times. This girl had dealt with blood and violence her whole life, having been in more mass shootings before the apocalypse than any human could be expected to survive in elementary school, and in high school, even in college. Maybe she was a jinx? We did have quite a few more attacks on our base after they joined.

One particular attack is the subject of this story though. In the middle of the night on November 12th our base was attacked. The attackers were heavily armed and more organized than simple bandit rabble. I’m not always a journalist, so I took part in the fighting, as did Rebecca and Kyle. There was a lot of noise as we defended the north wall, but that night we didn’t see any zombies. Rebecca and Kyle fought side by side against these attackers, and not too far from me that I couldn’t see their faces. Kyle’s was a mix of fear and determination, and Rebecca looked sorry.

Suddenly, Rebecca stopped shooting and looked up at a tower across from our compound. For the first time in the time that I had known her, a look of absolute despair appeared on her face. After that she grew a sad smile of resignation and turned to Kyle. I couldn’t hear what they were saying for the most part, but Kyle seemed confused. Rebecca handed Kyle a wrapped up object that I later found out was a knife that had been passed down through her family. She said a few more things I couldn’t hear, and then kissed him. He was understandably confused, shocked even, but she just smiled her sad smile and said one more line, and that was it.

Have you ever seen what happens when someone is shot with an anti-material rifle? It is a horrific scene, even in these times. But that time… It shocked even me, down to my very core, perhaps only because I had not expected it, but still. Her head disappeared in a shower of blood, and her body flew through the air, tumbling on the ground until it rolled right off our wall and into the compound. Boy, I can’t imagine what that was like for the people on the ground, but however it was like, it was worse for us. I turned my head to where she had originally looked, but I hadn’t seen anything myself. Kyle on the other hand… I could feel the rage, the blood lust building in his heart, and before I could stop him he jumped over the wall and ran toward the building, slaughtering the attackers as he ran, like a hot knife through warm butter. It was and amazing spectacle, something I thought not possible, but he forced himself on. Behind him was a path of blood and gore leading into the tower.

The scene was a cacophony of violence that ended with the mystery sniper being dropped out of a high window of the tower. Perfect timing, as that was the call for a bayonet charge, so to speak. Our men went over the wall to kill off the last of the enemy, and I followed the blood stained road straight to Kyle. When I finally got to him he was collapsed, unconscious, tears staining his face. I personally carried him to our makeshift hospital.

When I found him he was clutching a paper. I’ll omit unnecessary details, but basically it was a hit. They were after Rebecca the whole time, attacking us just to get to her. But why did they want her so badly, and why did she not hide, or jump over the wall, at least try not to die viscerally? Kyle left us to find the answers, and I am feeling slightly inclined to join him.

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:20 PM
The Heroes of Kikitas
“So that’s the plan.”

“Seriously?”

“What else can we do?”

“Well, we can try to not die.”

“You know that’s not gonna happen.”

“Well we can still try. We have time, we can still think of another plan.”

“We are out of time. Every day there is more and more of them, and less and less food,“ Sergeant Pavloc leaned on a ramshackle wooden table and began speaking in a hushed voice. “In fact, I just had a talk with Sergeant Worowitz, our food stocks will only last one more night.”

“And this area has been cleared out of supplies. We’d be lucky to find so much as rats.” Specialist Kazlinsky interjected.

“One more night though, we can last one more night. Just have to think of another plan!” Private Jensen pleaded. Sergeant Pavloc walked over to Jensen and laid a hand on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry son; the world shouldn’t be like this. We shouldn’t have to make these decisions. Tell the civilians, we leave tonight.”

Several hours later, 5 ragged and scared survivors of various situations were assembled in the back room of convenience store, along with 4 soldiers in torn, bloody uniforms. Sergeant Pavloc spoke up. “Tonight we leave.” This declaration was met by surprise and worry.

“How? They will kill us! I don’t want to become one of them!” voices from the scared group called out. Sergeant Pavloc pulled a rolled up map from beneath the table, and then unrolled it. He pointed to a location on the map.

“This is where we are.” Pavloc moved his finger to the edge of the map. “There is a forest here, just beyond the edge of town, and beyond the forest, there is a small military outpost.”

“Hopefully it will be a safe zone, but at the very least, it should contain some supplies, and an easily defendable location.” Specialist Kazlinsky spoke up.

“Yes,” Sergeant Pavloc nodded towards Kazlinsky. “It is a veritable gold mine if we are lucky. The problem lies in getting there.” Pavloc points to a large empty space on the map between the edge and their location. “This is a large open field. No cover and it’s filled with the dead.” Sergeant Pavloc rolled up the map. “That’s why we are leaving in an hour.”

“What?!” Someone shouted before being quickly hushed. Specialist Kazlinsky stepped next to Pavloc.

“We know those things can’t see as well at night, so we will be able to sneak through them if we are careful.” Kazlinsky stated, his tone both commanding and comforting.

“Wait, what do you mean, ‘sneak through them.’?” Someone in the crowed asked. Kazlinsky clicked his tongue.

“Well, they are pretty thick in the field. To get to the forest, we have to crawl 500 meters through a grass field, likely between their own legs.” Gasps where heard from the audience.

“What is that in English?” An older man asked. Kazlinsky grabbed his chin and furrowed his brow for a moment.

“It is about three tenths of a mile.” Kazlinsky finally said. The mother in the group held her daughter closely.

“That’s insane.” Someone muttered. Private Jensen agreed.

“That’s what I said. But, we don’t have a choice,” Private Jensen looked towards Pavloc.

“Isn’t that right sergeant?” Pavloc nodded solemnly.

“The real challenge will be navigating through the forest. It is a few miles through the woods until we reach the base, and it will be very dark. Luckily, it is north of us, and we have a couple of compasses. We will divide them between us. Private Jensen and I will carry them, in case something happens.” Kazlinsky finished, pulling two compasses with glow in the dark faces from his chest pocket.

“We will go out in a group, Kazlinsky and I will be out in front, Jensen and Worowitz will guard the rear. Do not stray from the group, follow our movements exactly, and we may just live to see tomorrow.” As Pavloc said these lines, he circled the group and stood next to the door.

“Say your prayers now people, there will be no talking once we leave.”

Faint murmurings could be heard from the crowd. The mother told her daughter not to worry through steaming tears. The elderly gentleman stared at a picture from his wallet, and the two young men talked with the soldiers, feeling responsible should the worst happen.

“Ok, everyone form up!” Pavloc called out after what had felt like forever. Everyone lined up two file next to Pavloc and Kazlinsky. Pavloc’s voice dropped, “Let’s go,” he said, nodding to Kazlinsky. Kazlinsky nodded back and turned off the light. Everyone held their breath as Pavloc opened the door.

Everyone marched out, quietly as they could, two soldiers in front and two soldiers in back. One of the young men looked around in the darkness, seeing that they were surrounded. They started moving, slowly, quietly. The girl whimpered in the darkness, and her mother hushed her.

They moved slowly, hoping to avoid attracting the attention of the dead, at times stopping and lying flat on the ground. Every movement was carefully coordinated by Sergeant Pavloc to avoid the zombies. But even the best laid plans can fail.

It wasn’t the child, the mother, or the elderly man. No, it was one of the young men. He had his arm too far out while they were hiding in the grass. A zombie stepped on him and he screamed. A short utterance, but it was enough. Every zombie in the area turned towards the group, and came running.

“Run run run!” Pavloc shouted. Everyone in the group stood up and ran with all their might, but not everyone was capable of running that far that quickly. Most of these people were neither athletes nor as healthy as they could be. The zombies closed in, and people started getting left behind. Suddenly, a shot was heard in the darkness.

No one knows when it happened, but at some point, Jensen had broken from the group, and made it to a small playground a good distance away. He was firing his rifle at the zombies approaching the group. Worowitz broke from the group to join him as well. Kazlinsky handed his compass to the elderly man, and ran off as well.

“God speed men,” Pavloc whispered while leading the group. More shots were fired from the playground known as Kikitas Park. Jensen, Kazlinsky, and Worowitz were trying hard to distract the zombies from the group, and it was working. The zombies started converging on their position.

As the group approached the edge of the woods, Pavloc looked to his men once more, a fatal mistake. A zombie that had been hiding in the darkness pounced on him, taking him down. As the zombie started biting into his flesh, Pavloc’s last words were spoken. “DON’T STOP MOVING! KEEP RUNNING NORTH! MOVE MOVE MOVE!!”

The group complied. Looking back from the woods, one of the young men saw the soldier’s last moment. Kazlinsky bent over one of the swings, a zombie biting into his back. Worowitz never made it to the park, but he left a trail of dead zombies in his wake. Jensen was still alive, standing in the sandbox, screaming while swinging his rifle like a club. His scream wasn’t a fearful scream, but rather one of anger, a man angry at the world and fighting this ridiculous circumstance to his last breath.

I’ll never forget those men, the heroes of Kikitas. Fighting valiantly to protect us, desperately against all odds. Out of ammo and surrounded, sure to die, they still fought on. When someone looks upon their corpses, they will know that those men died as heroes.

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:19 PM
Ok, so I like writing, and games, and a game is being made that I am very involved in the community for, supporting them by writing these kinds of stories, so they all have the same theme.
Anyway, I'll post these 4 stories here. Hopefully you enjoy my writing style :)

Oh, and I'm copying them directly from the site I first posted them on, which censors swearwords with -sweep!- so if that happens that's what happened.

Also, I don't know the commands for various things, like Italics, so it won't have that kind of formatting.
Letters from Hell
I am writing this log of events hoping that when I am saved I can release the full story to the world, or when I die that some other survivor could learn something from all of this, and maybe remember me. When it started, I’m sure only a handful of people knew, and they are probably all one of them by now. We are under attack. By what, no one knows for sure. I have not got a good look myself, other than their gross malformed bodies bent over Mr. Sarkowski, my neighbor, but from the sounds of it, they are horrible monsters.
I suppose I should probably start from the beginning of my journey. It is now June 6th, at about 11 at night. This morning started like any other day. I woke up to get ready for work. Today however, I wasn’t feeling particularly up to sitting through meetings all day, so I called in sick. A decision which I am sure has saved my life. At around 10 I started hearing this unholy clatter. I tried to ignore it, until I heard the screams. I ran to the window to see what was making that noise. I couldn’t see much at first, but then I noticed something strange on Mr. Sarkowski’s lawn. I’ll never forget what I saw, it is burned into my brain. The image of the blood soaked lawn, and the screams of my neighbor.
At first I, and I’m sure several others had called the cops. I’m not sure if the other neighbors got through, but I was told the number I had dialed was disconnected. I tried several more times after that, until my concentration was broken by the sound of pounding on my door. I cautiously checked the peephole and saw Mrs. Hautchen’s face. I opened the door and saw that she was covered in blood and pained. She told me to lock the door and barricade the doors and windows. I locked the door first, but immediately went to checking her to see if she was wounded. She was… Is wounded, but she refuses to go to the hospital. She told me that TVs and phones all around the area are down, and possibly further. She also told me that she was attacked by vicious, unimaginable monsters in human skin.
The seriousness in her voice, and her wounds caused me to believe her, so after applying some bandages to her using what little I know about doctor’s work, I began the process of barricading the house up. I finished 2 hours ago, and since have been sitting here writing this. That will be all for today, I should go check on Mrs Hautchen and try and get some sleep.

June 7th 6 in the morning. I haven’t been able to sleep all night. I can hear noises outside. Moaning, and scratching. The power has been out since a few hours ago. How could everything fall this quickly? What is even going on? Before the power went out I had hoped to catch the news, but every station was static. All I have to go by is what my wounded neighbor here said.

June 7th 1 in the afternoon. Mary Anne, Mrs. Hautchen’s first name, she said it was too formal to call her by her last name, has not been looking well. I fear for her health. Those wounds of hers must have been too great. I don’t think she will last throughout the night without proper medical care. The phones aren’t working and Mary Anne freaks out whenever I mention leaving the house. I don’t know what, if anything, I can do.

June 8th midnight. Mary Anne didn’t make it, as I thought. When she finally died, I was shocked. I may have even cried, I don’t know. She died an hour ago. I must still be in shock. What should I even do with the body? I cant just leave it in here. I’ll peek outside tomorrow. Make my decision then.

June 8th 4 in the afternoon. I’m about to move the barricades and go outside for the first time in days. If I don’t come back for some reason, and someone finds this, please bury Mary Anne in the back yard for me and her.

I don’t know, I just don’t know. I don’t know, I don’t know I don’t know.

June 12th 4 in the morning. My thoughts are finally coherent and my mind is now calm enough to write again. I should start with what I saw when I left my house on the 8th. The neighborhood is destroyed. There is blood everywhere. When I walked outside, it was like I walked into hell. The things, the monsters… Oh god the monsters! Unimaginable, horrid beasts that walk like men, and wear the faces of my former neighbors. They eat human flesh, as their’s rots off their bodies. To look these things in the face is insanity itself. From my encounter I was driven mad for several days. I cant believe what is going on. I just don’t know…. When I came back inside, Mary Anne wasn’t where I had left her. To my delight, she was standing in the hallway to my bedroom. To my horror, she was one of those pale faced monsters… I had to. I had too. It was me or her. That’s why I had to bash her skull in with that hammer! She wouldn’t stop moving so I had to keep swinging. She was gonna kill me! I had to do it! I had to-------

June 14th, dark. I have been inside next to that rotting corpse for 2 more days.

June 17th? I don’t know what day or time it is, so I will now count days, starting from the 17th, based on times I am asleep and awake. I’ll make an entry everyday so I can keep track.

June 18th dark. I can hear them

June 19th dark. I am running out of food. This that I am eating right now it the last of my food I had kept in the house. Luckily I had went shopping just before the world went to hell. I cant last here. Not only is my food running out, but the running water and the gas line stopped too. I need to go out. Back into that hell.

June 19th, 3rd dark. I have been on the run for what seems like days. Living out in the suburbs there is no stores for what seems like miles. I had originally planned on using my car, but I found that my garage was looted of everything, including my car. Not that it would have mattered, all the roads are blocked by cars. Walking is the only way I could find to get through. I couldn’t stop walking. I had to keep going. But now the adrenaline is wearing off. I needed to find a safe place to sleep for the night. Luckily I found an unoccupied house. I sealed the doors and windows and took whatever I could find. Unfortunately, all the food is gone. I’m so hungry… and itchy. This damn shirt, so dirty. I should have changed before I left. Perhaps these people have something that will fit me.

June 20th 2nd dark. I just made it to city limits, and to a general store. I will sleep here tonight. They have a supply of junk food. Probably not any healthier now than it was before, but at least there is something. I even found some guns in the back of the store. I didn’t know they had these kinds of things here. I will take what I can carry and move out into the country side, away from all these monsters.

June 21st light. I killed a man. At night while I was sleeping, a man came to my base and attacked me. I used the gun I found here and shot him. He fell effortlessly. I’m a murderer now. Well, that was necessary too wasn’t it? He was gonna kill me just like those monsters! Yes! I know it’s true!

June 21st second light. I decided to follow the highway, as most gas station mini marts are off the highway and contain food. I just arrived at another one. The food was plentiful here. I ‘ve filled up my backpack and I plan to leave soon. Just gonna rest my eyes for a moment here, against the drink section.

“Hah,” The man laughed silently. “I can’t believe we actually used to call them that. ‘Horrible unimaginable beasts that would drive you insane just to look at’.” The man crumpled up the loose leaf sheets and tossed them aside before putting the last useful things he scavenged from this building into his pack. A couple old cans of food and a pack of batteries. He zipped up his pack and threw it over his shoulders. He had to move fast as this location, a looted mini mart, was not safe, with its large pane windows that were broken out and its location just off the highway. He crossed the old store silently, opting to leave the back way. He looked back one last time at the body he had found., leaning against the coolers on the side wall. A bullet hole in it’s head.
“Then again,” he said as he exited the building, and turned into the alley way. “Maybe those left of us are already insane.”

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:14 PM
Jack of Blades

2ndPLT's photo
Mon 07/22/13 07:13 PM
Monarch

Previous 1