Community > Posts By > Gryffon

Gryffon's photo
Thu 01/22/09 07:51 AM
"It is not the path on which I walk, nor the length of my stride, nor the strength of my limbs. It is not the depth of my breath, or the surity of my step. No, it is none of these things which gives me power.
It is the fact, that I walk the path at all."

peace and truth

Gryffon's photo
Fri 01/09/09 03:31 PM
Taoism has more to do with Shamanism than you might think. In ancient times, the Taoist Monks were considered responsible for the spiritual well being and protection of the tribes. Oftentimes, this meant undertaking Shamantic journeys to the " ether", or the spirit realm, to ask for aid, protection, and oftentimes, to battle evil or dark spirits.
Many Taoist practices are focused on the spiritual world. Today, Taoism "sects" are seperated in to two main groups. Those which follow "Wu Wei", which is a path of enlightenment, and "Magickal" Taoism, which focuses on the mystical energies of the Universe to perform rites and ceremonies.

Of course....there is no wrong or right :-)

Gryffon's photo
Fri 01/09/09 03:48 AM
I have been a Taoist for many years (about thirty, though that makes me sound very old indeed, which I am not).
I had to chuckle a bit at the short exchange regarding the essence of water. It reminded me of many stories of LaoTzu and his meetings / discussions with those of the Buddhist faith.
Fortunately, both paths have within them the practice of acceptance of others, and thier ideals. When one is questioned, the response is simply one of contemplation for the others ideas, or at least, this is what should be...:-)

Even Confucious himself, after a discussion with LaoTzu, was quoted as saying, " I do yet fully understand the meanings of what was said, but the man is a Dragon, without doubt".

Peace and truth.