Community > Posts By > raiderfan_32

raiderfan_32's photo
Sun 11/22/09 05:59 PM
Edited by raiderfan_32 on Sun 11/22/09 06:01 PM
The Farce is that Human activity is solely responsible for the alleged "recent" changes in global temperature and the ice caps and the polar bears.. blah blah blah..

the earth does naturally go through multi-frequency cyclical variations in mean global temperature.

Look up Haq et al "Chronology of Fluctuating Sea Levels Since the Triassic", 1987.. that's a good place to start if you want to know something about it from a real scientific perspective.

raiderfan_32's photo
Sun 11/22/09 04:19 PM

If true, those so-called scientists should be fired and censured for life. Science is supposed to be about the truth, no matter what the truth is.
How shameful and so very disappointing.

false.. Science is about evidence and observation. Philosophy is interested in truth.

but your point is well put, otherwise. these otherwise well-meaning and rigorous scientists are more beholden to their ideology on this issue than they are to science..

raiderfan_32's photo
Sun 11/22/09 12:21 AM
So the Democrats aren't happy just spending our tax dollars (our debt actually) on buying votes from thru ACORN and the SEIU.. Now they're using our tax money (debt) to outright buy votes in the Senate..

Now, this is nothing new.. This goes on all the time, really.

What is new, however, is for the recently purchased Congressman or Senator to announce that the vote was bought and to divulge the amount for which she was purchased..

I guess this is the kind of transparency Obama was promising us..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/21/AR2009112102272_pf.html

Sweeteners for the South

By Dana Milbank
Sunday, November 22, 2009

Staffers on Capitol Hill were calling it the Louisiana Purchase.

On the eve of Saturday's showdown in the Senate over health-care reform, Democratic leaders still hadn't secured the support of Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), one of the 60 votes needed to keep the legislation alive. The wavering lawmaker was offered a sweetener: at least $100 million in extra federal money for her home state.

And so it came to pass that Landrieu walked onto the Senate floor midafternoon Saturday to announce her aye vote -- and to trumpet the financial "fix" she had arranged for Louisiana. "I am not going to be defensive," she declared. "And it's not a $100 million fix. It's a $300 million fix."

It was an awkward moment (not least because her figure is 20 times the original Louisiana Purchase price). But it was fairly representative of a Senate debate that seems to be scripted in the Southern Gothic style. The plot was gripping -- the bill survived Saturday's procedural test without a single vote to spare -- and it brought out the rank partisanship, the self-absorption and all the other pathologies of modern politics. If that wasn't enough of a Tennessee Williams story line, the debate even had, playing the lead role, a Southerner named Blanche with a flair for the dramatic.

After Landrieu threw in her support (she asserted that the extra Medicaid funds were "not the reason" for her vote), the lone holdout in the 60-member Democratic caucus was Sen. Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas. Like other Democratic moderates who knew a single vote could kill the bill, she took a streetcar named Opportunism, transferred to one called Wavering and made off with concessions of her own. Indeed, the all-Saturday debate, which ended with an 8 p.m. vote, occurred only because Democratic leaders had yielded to her request for more time.

Even when she finally announced her support, at 2:30 in the afternoon, Lincoln made clear that she still planned to hold out for many more concessions in the debate that will consume the next month. "My decision to vote on the motion to proceed is not my last, nor only, chance to have an impact on health-care reform," she announced.

Landrieu and Lincoln got the attention because they were the last to decide, but the Senate really has 100 Blanche DuBoises, a full house of characters inclined toward the narcissistic. The health-care debate was worse than most. With all 40 Republicans in lockstep opposition, all 60 members of the Democratic caucus had to vote yes -- and that gave each one an opportunity to extract concessions from Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid.

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) won a promise from Reid to support his plan to expand eligibility for health insurance. Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) got Reid to jettison a provision stripping health insurers of their antitrust exemption. Landrieu got the concessions for her money. And Lincoln won an extended, 72-hour period to study legislation.

And the big shakedown is yet to occur: That will happen when Reid comes back to his caucus in a few weeks to round up 60 votes for the final passage of the health bill.

Republicans also knew that a single defection would kill the bill, so they tried to pressure the holdouts. "That's what we've got to choose today: Do we choose life or do we choose death?" declared Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.). "We just need one vote, one vote on the other side."

But Landrieu had already made up her mind. She went to the floor during the lunch hour to say that she would vote to proceed with the debate -- but that she'd be looking for much bigger concessions before she gives her blessing to a final version of the bill.

"My vote today," she said in a soft Southern accent that masked the hard politics at play, "should in no way be construed by the supporters of this current framework as an indication of how I might vote as this debate comes to an end." Among the concessions she'll seek: more tax credits for small business and a removal of the version of the "public option" now in the bill.

That turned all the attention to the usually quiet Lincoln, who emerged from the cloakroom two hours later to announce her decision. Her attire was school-principal prim -- blue suit with knee-length skirt, orange silk scarf tied tightly at the neck -- and she was clearly uncomfortable in the spotlight. She spoke with the diction of somebody giving a dramatic reading, and she stumbled more than once as she read, botching the crucial line: "I will vote to support, of, the, the, will vote in support of cloture on the motion to proceed to this bill."

She argued, a bit too strenuously, that "I'm not thinking about my reelection" in 2010. All the same, she made clear that Democratic leaders would have to give more if they want her to vote yes as the health-care debate continues. Specifically, she demanded removal of the public option. "I am opposed to a new government-administered health-care plan," she warned, further cautioning that "I will not vote in favor of the proposal . . . as it is written."

By the time this thing is done, the millions for Louisiana will look like a bargain.

raiderfan_32's photo
Sat 11/21/09 11:54 PM

but...what will the people do with their Global Warming churches, fallout shelters and various paraphernalia they acquired in preparation for this disaster-that-wasn't? shocked laugh

save it for the zombie apocalypse.. that's what mine are for..

bigsmile

raiderfan_32's photo
Wed 11/18/09 10:44 AM

Key word,, recommendation. I dont see the big dilemma. I have had many check ups and doctors visits because of my own concern and guess what.....insurancs still covered it. Insurance covers more than the care that is 'recommended'. If I say I think I feel a lump and I ask to have it checked,, insurance isnt gonna turn it down because it wasnt 'recommended' by some panel. Insurance is gonna work with my DOCTOR to determine what treatment is necessary and then they are going to cover their part of the bill.

what are the odds of that being the case when that panel shares office space with the "insurer"??

this "recommendation" is another line of evidence for there to be a buffer between the policy- (i.e. law-) maker and the insurer..

I dont know the odds of the panel sharing office space at every insurance office. I do know however, that what is necessary or recommended for ME is determined by my doctor and not a panel who has not seen me. I go to him, we decide the best course of action, preventive or otherwise, and insurance covers it....quite simple.

"sharing office space" I use as a figure of speech.. I'm sure you're not so obtuse as not to realise that..

government panel is in charge of insuring millions of Americans..

government panel recommends that this practice or that is or isn't effective against one thing or the other.. what makes you think your government paid doctor is going to act counter to the recommendations of his/her employer (i.e. the government)??

I am not obtuse, but you are not getting my point. An exam is more than just a practice. It is a case by case recommendation by a personal doctor who knows his patients history. What makes me think my doctor is going to put my interest above a panels recommendations? The fact that a recommendation is just that and doesnt cover EVERY case every time. The details of each case is what determines the end result. Doctors take an oath, they are there to help their patients, I dont happen to think that will change.

no, I get your point. I just think you're mistaken if you think that the government "option" or the government "approved" health insurance policies will not be subject to the government determinations as to what is and what is not effective medical care.

This breast cancer screening issue is just the first in what is sure to be a litany of similar recommendations for medical care and preventative medicine..

Didn't they say that prevention was cheaper and more effective than treating advanced illness? So why then come out and say that pre-screening is unnecessary and unnecessarily expensive, arguing, in effect that it does more harm than good?

whiskey tango foxtrot

raiderfan_32's photo
Wed 11/18/09 06:33 AM

Key word,, recommendation. I dont see the big dilemma. I have had many check ups and doctors visits because of my own concern and guess what.....insurancs still covered it. Insurance covers more than the care that is 'recommended'. If I say I think I feel a lump and I ask to have it checked,, insurance isnt gonna turn it down because it wasnt 'recommended' by some panel. Insurance is gonna work with my DOCTOR to determine what treatment is necessary and then they are going to cover their part of the bill.

what are the odds of that being the case when that panel shares office space with the "insurer"??

this "recommendation" is another line of evidence for there to be a buffer between the policy- (i.e. law-) maker and the insurer..

I dont know the odds of the panel sharing office space at every insurance office. I do know however, that what is necessary or recommended for ME is determined by my doctor and not a panel who has not seen me. I go to him, we decide the best course of action, preventive or otherwise, and insurance covers it....quite simple.

"sharing office space" I use as a figure of speech.. I'm sure you're not so obtuse as not to realise that..

government panel is in charge of insuring millions of Americans..

government panel recommends that this practice or that is or isn't effective against one thing or the other.. what makes you think your government paid doctor is going to act counter to the recommendations of his/her employer (i.e. the government)??

raiderfan_32's photo
Wed 11/18/09 06:19 AM

raiderfan_32's photo
Thu 11/12/09 06:38 AM
google "coca cola muslim"

interesting lecture given by "reverted" muslim Abdur Raheem Green

It's long, over an hour but it gives amazing insight into the midset of a segment of the muslim world

About 15 minutes in he begins talking about the war of ideologies between Islam and the West. Very telling.. One of Islam's more celebrated scholars talking about Islam being at war, at least, ideologically if not with arms, with the West.

listen near the end when he gives the "Are you a coca cola muslim" quiz wherein the respondent's binary/yes or no answer is designed to tell whether one is a true muslim or a "cocacola muslim".

The following is a sampling of some of the questions (and answers with their bearing on the question, "Are you a Coca Cola Muslim") that I found interesting:

Q: Do you think a man should have only one wife?

if yes, one point for being a cocacola muslim..

Q: Do you think of marriage as a match held together by love or a working relationship trying to build a better muslim nation?

If you think marriage is a lovey-dovey kind of affair, a big tic for being a cocacola muslim..

Q: Are you planning to have 2 or 3 kids at the most and give them the best or are you hoping for a footbal team?

If you are planning to have one, or two kids at the most and give them the best, you a re definitely in the cocacola muslim league, conquered by the West ideologically.

Q: Would you prefer to take a mortgage or be content with rent?

If you want to take a mortgage, give yourself 5, 10, 15 points for being a coca cola muslim

in fact, I'll save you the trouble of finding it yourself and give you the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-lZ7BDrqAs

raiderfan_32's photo
Wed 11/11/09 05:36 PM

Everything that could be said has been said.It is out of our hands now and there is nothing we can do except sit back and watch what happends.

that's slave-talk.. We'll have none of that!

We own the government.. they're not our rulers; they're our employees..

raiderfan_32's photo
Wed 11/11/09 05:34 PM

Rapists like this, child molesters, and some others pose too high a risk to allow back into society. The death penalty is appropriate.

in the case of baby killers and child molesters, I disagress.. put them in the pen with the general population..

they tend not to last too long.. why spend tax dollars on endless appeals and years of imprisonment.

let the cons kill them..

raiderfan_32's photo
Wed 11/11/09 04:25 PM
poor rapist..

he just needs to be rehabilitated..

someone should council him on the proper ways to interact with people..

that's all..

he's not really a bad person, just misunderstood..

we shouldn't be so quick to judge him..

besides, putting him in the criminal justice system will only make him worse.. wont help him at all..

we, as a society, should be more sensative to his needs as an individual..

poor fella..

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 03:28 PM

Afghanistan is for Afghans and not for Americans so they should get the hell from there now . They are more than justified to hate the invaders, the occupiers and the terrorists who ruined their lives . It is only common sense and no one needs a PHD in politics to know this fact .

Do you write Obama's speeches? Cuz that rhetoric sounds awfully familiar..

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 03:26 PM
I guess no one wants to stand up and argue that the only possible way to affect health care reform in this country is to place an unconstitutional mandate on the American people and confiscate a vast swath of their (our) incomes.

That's gotta be the only way, right?

No other possibilities exist. huh?

Gotta launder more money through Washington and let the congress tell us when to brush our teeth and go to bed...

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 03:22 PM

Afghanistan is a Muslim country so why on earth are the American morons burning the Qu'oran ?. If these morons burn the Jewish book the Torah they will be hanged from their eyes . American foreign policy is a monstrous tyrant .

do you not understand the meaning of the word "allegation"?

Someone said they did. So in the minds of the people there (and yours as well apparently), it's true, regardless of whether it happened or not.

I honestly doubt that anyone burned a Q'ran..

It's just red meat to stir up more anti-American sentiment and get the people calling for jihad, which, no coincidentally, they are now doing..

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 02:25 PM
Edited by raiderfan_32 on Tue 11/10/09 02:28 PM

again.. there is a difference vengance and lawful punishment in the interest of justice regardless of your opinion to the contrary..

we were never neandertals.. there were common ancestor between the two species but that was a divergent limb of evolution.. that's been rather well documented.. Neandertal man was wiped out by homo sapiens. We did not evolve from them..

by your logic, the legitimacy of any exercise of punishment under the law would be nullified by your religious agruement..

so lets just stop enforcing law en toto and let there be chaos.

Oh but any race of humans that would execute their own kind for any reason is less than a neandrathal.

There is no difference contrary to your belief, I posted the definition.

My logic has nothing to do with what I have been discussing with you.

I have been discussing with the you the Christian nonjustification for their death penalty.

My logic is that we should be too smart by now to even consider a death penalty as a legitimate form of punishment. I guess I can keep hopin and wishin for the brains to grow....:wink:

So first you state (or at least agree with the statement) that laws ought not be based on biblical precedence and then you come at me with a biblical justification against capital punishment?

Does anyone else smell the hypocracy in this?

please.. pick which side of the fence you'd like to argue from.

The definition you copied and pasted from wherever (without citation, by the way) present several weaknesses inyour arguement.

First it does not incorporate justice, the moral foundation of all law. Vengance is not concerned with due process whereas Justice requires due process.

payment for criminality does not equate to retribution.

And Justice is not concerned with retribution.

Second it indicates that vengence is a style or type of punishment.

but just as all ducks are birds, though not all birds are ducks. Similarly though vengence is an exercise in punishment, not all punishments are exercises in vengence.

A parent does not punich a child out of a sense of vengence. The parent punishes the child out of the need to impress a sense of right and wrong.

I'm certain I'm not going to change your stance on this issue. You have something stuck in your head and that's that, as far as you're concerned. That's fine. Obstenence is your perogative

but you at least owe yourself the decency to operate with a modecum of intellectual honesty..

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 01:50 PM
again.. there is a difference vengance and lawful punishment in the interest of justice regardless of your opinion to the contrary..

we were never neandertals.. there were common ancestor between the two species but that was a divergent limb of evolution.. that's been rather well documented.. Neandertal man was wiped out by homo sapiens. We did not evolve from them..

by your logic, the legitimacy of any exercise of punishment under the law would be nullified by your religious agruement..

so lets just stop enforcing law en toto and let there be chaos.

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 01:40 PM
i guess whether or not it was a tragedy depends on perspective.

It doesn't say who the army was marching against though I'm guessing Egypt but if you were the nation, king, army, city on whom they were marching, I'd imagine you'd see it as a nothing less than salvation..

interesting article, though.. It'd be interesting to read more about this epsiode in history, what events surrounded it.. what motivated a persian king to march such a massive army into such adverse conditions, why the host took an alternative route

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 01:26 PM
Edited by raiderfan_32 on Tue 11/10/09 01:35 PM

is there a difference between vengeance and punishment?

vengeance
One entry found.

Main Entry: ven·geance
Pronunciation: \ˈven-jən(t)s\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from venger to avenge, from Latin vindicare to lay claim to, avenge — more at vindicate
Date: 14th century
: punishment inflicted in retaliation for an injury or offense : retribution

— with a vengeance 1 : with great force or vehemence <undertook reform with a vengeance>
2 : to an extreme or excessive degree <the tourists are back—with a vengeance>

Looks like they are the same

except that due process is implicit in punishment under the law..

vengance is more of a human emotion, acting in rage or as a personal matter.

Punishment under the law is not murder, per se. It's the state acting on the behalf of the society at large, enforcing the values that are codified in law.

Vengance implies an individual acting on his own behalf and in his own interest, not that of the society..

Doesn't change anything. Vengeance is his alone.

Biblical Scholar, all of a sudden? probably not otherwise you would have capitalised "His"..

however, the arguement doesn't rest on religious grounds.

To take vengance is irrespective of due process.

To apply capital punishment (or any punishment) in this country is a matter of due process and applying the values of society codified into law. It's not an exercise in vengance. It's the ultimate step in carrying out justice..

You may find it objectionable. You may disagree with it. That doens't change the fact that the law of the land is that murder, of which he was tried and convicted, is punishable by death in the state where he committed the act..

And all who are Christian who vote for and support the death penalty will roast in hell with the killer since they are taking vengeance out of their own God's hands.

Not all states have it, there are some enlightened states in this country.

A) that's their business.. what difference does it make to you what relationship another has with his/her creator?

B) so go live in one of those states if you feel that strongly about it.. maybe you already do, in which case you're just billowing hot air and passing judgement on other. "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

C) We've already demonstrated the distinction between punishment and vengance.. there is a difference whether you choose to see it or not

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 01:14 PM
Edited by raiderfan_32 on Tue 11/10/09 01:15 PM

vengeance
One entry found.

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from venger to avenge, from Latin vindicare to lay claim to, avenge — more at vindicate

— with a vengeance 1 : with great force or vehemence <undertook reform with a vengeance>

Punishment under the law is not murder, per se. It's the state acting on the behalf of the society at large, enforcing the values that are codified in law.

Vengance implies an individual acting on his own behalf and in his own interest, not that of the society..

Doesn't change anything. Vengeance is his alone.

Biblical Scholar, all of a sudden? probably not otherwise you would have capitalised "His"..

however, the arguement doesn't rest on religious grounds.

To take vengance is irrespective of due process.

To apply capital punishment (or any punishment) in this country is a matter of due process and applying the values of society codified into law. It's not an exercise in vengance. It's the ultimate step in carrying out justice..

You may find it objectionable. You may disagree with it. That doens't change the fact that the law of the land is that murder, of which he was tried and convicted, is punishable by death in the state where he committed the act..

raiderfan_32's photo
Tue 11/10/09 01:00 PM

vengeance
One entry found.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25