Community > Posts By > s1owhand

s1owhand's photo
Tue 12/04/12 06:37 PM

Another recognisable diversionary tactic complete with an appeal to emotion. An attempt to minimise the industrialsed extermination of a people by raising other examples.

And so what would you call the constant reference to the Jewish Holocaust as if it were the only one that ever happened in the world?

Why do you think that particular horrific event deserves more attention than the others?

The systematic killing of the Jews in WWII was the reason why so many
Jewish refugees desperately were seeking a safe haven where they could
live without being further persecuted.

I'm sure the turkish people who were destroyed in that genocide would have liked to find a safe haven too.

Refugees from Siberia would also like to find a safe haven.

etc. etc. etc.

But we are not talking about Turks or Siberians or Armenians or
Chinese or Blackfeet.

The topic of this thread relates to Israel which relates to the
the Jews. As HotRodD says - this is just an attempt to derail the
conversation.

s1owhand's photo
Tue 12/04/12 04:43 PM

Another recognisable diversionary tactic complete with an appeal to emotion. An attempt to minimise the industrialsed extermination of a people by raising other examples.

And so what would you call the constant reference to the Jewish Holocaust as if it were the only one that ever happened in the world?

Why do you think that particular horrific event deserves more attention than the others?

The systematic killing of the Jews in WWII was the reason why so many
Jewish refugees desperately were seeking a safe haven where they could
live without being further persecuted.

s1owhand's photo
Tue 12/04/12 11:28 AM
From NYT article - Amid Euphoria Over U.N. Vote, Palestinians Still Face Familiar Challenges

By ISABEL KERSHNER
Published: December 2, 2012

At least in the short term, with Israeli elections scheduled for January, things are likely to get tougher for the Palestinians before they get better.

In Jerusalem on Sunday, the Israeli government unanimously rejected the General Assembly’s decision to upgrade the status of Palestine to a nonmember observer state of the United Nations. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the Palestinian move as “a gross violation of the agreements that have been signed with the State of Israel.”

In its latest response, Israel said it would not transfer tax revenues it collected on behalf of the Palestinian Authority last month, instead using the money, about $100 million, to pay off about half the debt run up by the authority to the Israel Electric Corporation.

The Palestinian Authority has already been suffering through a financial crisis, often unable to pay the salaries of its employees on time. Palestinian officials said that Arab countries had promised to donate funds and make up for any losses caused by punitive Israeli actions, though it was a shortfall in donor money, largely from Arab nations, that caused the financial crisis in the first place.

Israel’s financial sanctions followed a government decision to build 3,000 previously planned housing units in contested areas of Jerusalem and in parts of the West Bank that Israel intends to keep under any future arrangement with the Palestinians. The Palestinians have long refused to return to the negotiating table unless Israel halts the construction of settlements.

The government has also decided to continue planning and zoning work for the development of a particularly contentious area of East Jerusalem known as E1, a project long condemned by Washington because it would harm the prospects for a contiguous Palestinian state, though privately, Israeli and Palestinian officials said that this last decision could be easily reversed.

Mr. Abbas, for his part, was expected to hold meetings with the members of his leadership to discuss how to begin to translate the Palestinians’ new status into practical steps.

“We are celebrating our dignity,” said Xavier Abu Eid, a Palestinian spokesman. “Our small nation withstood a lot of pressure for something that is our right.”

But the way forward may be fraught with legal obstacles as the Palestinians try to balance their diplomatic victory with the demands of their previous, more concrete achievements.

Israel signed its agreements with the Palestine Liberation Organization, which resulted in the creation of an interim self-rule body, the Palestinian Authority. Asked whether the Palestinian Authority would remain the Palestinian Authority in name, Mr. Abu Eid said: “That requires a decision of the leadership. I think it will not be changed in a day.”

Palestinian officials have insisted that they will not give up the option of seeking to join the International Criminal Court and pursuing claims against Israel, and some Palestinians now expect their leaders to take legal action against the Israelis’ settlement building.

Letters of application for membership in various United Nations bodies and international agencies have been signed “The State of Palestine.”

But the Palestinians may not rush to change the name on the front of their passports to Palestine. Even Mr. Abbas is dependent on Israel’s good graces to be allowed to travel through checkpoints and across borders.

Many Palestinians were hoping that Mr. Abbas would now seek genuine reconciliation with his rivals in Hamas, the Islamic militant group that controls Gaza.

“Unity is the most important step,” said Malik Barghouti, an employee of the authority’s Finance Ministry in Ramallah. “We are one people.”

But if there is no tangible change on the ground, some Palestinians warned, the celebrations could eventually be eclipsed by frustration.

“Most people here think we now have lots of rights,” said Mahmoud Mansour, 22, a student of electrical engineering from Jenin in the northern West Bank, who attended the welcome rally. “When they realize that nothing has changed, they will be angry.”

s1owhand's photo
Tue 12/04/12 11:24 AM

laugh

1) There was no Arab State or nation called "Palestine" in the Middle East in 1948 or before.
While this is true....

I like this little gem:

I won't touch the Holocaust stuff in his video, as his assertions are the "official truth" (legislated dogma that by law, cannot be disputed) in many jurisdictions. I will note however, that official truths (dogmas) have historically contained many lies for the sake of consistency of belief (the Catholic pre-Copernican universe running on epicycles around a central Earth being a good example, etc.)

laugh

It is disturbing to say the least.

Dukky, do you really believe that the official history of the
Holocaust is as incorrect as the idea that our solar system
revolved around the Earth?

Are you a Holocaust denier?

Didn't get an answer on this one yet...

I suspect we did. :wink:

Sorry for the delay, but here were a lot of Holocausts to compile. Since you guys were in a rush for an answer, this is only a partial listing. Are you denying any of these occurred?

The Chinese Holocaust - 70,000,000 chinese slaughtered by Mao

The Russian Holocaust - 60,000,000 Russians slaughtered by Stalin

The American Indian Holocaust & cultural genocide - over 30,000,000 Indians slaughtered by European conquest & land theft.

The Armenian Holocaust - 6,000,000 Armenians slaughtered by Turks

German Holocaust - 6,000,000 Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals & political dissidents slaughtered by Germans

The Cambodian Holocaust - 2,000,000 Cambodians slaughtered by the Khmer Rouge

The Iraq Holocaust - over 1,000,000 Iraqi's slaughtered as a result of American war & occupation of Iraq

The Palestinian Holocaust - 300,000 avoidable Palestinian deaths (183,000 children under 5) since 1967 in occupied Palestine.

Israel Holocaust - 2167 Israeli's slaughtered by terrorists since 1967

The Dresden Holocaust - over 1,000,000 people slaughtered by an Allied firebombing in a single evening.

This is only part of the long, sad record of man's inhumanity to man. Each one was a life with the same hopes and dreams of a happy life that we all have. They should ALL be remembered.

(I never even got to the millions of deaths resulting from the unnecessary nuclear bombing of Japan in 1945, orthe other Holocausts of history, but as I say, I was being rushed.)

Well, there is no doubt that there have been a lot of needless
deaths over the years.

There are multiple inaccuracies in your list above however.

Where in the world do you get the numbers for Mao and Stalin? laugh

I don't know of any credible historical analysis which
would give 70 million killings to Mao or 60 million killings
to Stalin or 30 million killings to the American Indian wars.

I don't know of anyone who would credibly compare war combat deaths
with mass exterminations of civilians in concentration camps
either.

In particular, in your list you seem to be trying to justify the
mass murder of the Jews by the Nazis by citing war casualties and
drastically exaggerated death tolls from other dictatorial regimes
or the Indian wars Why?

There were no mass killings of Iraqis by the Americans, no concentration camps to work them to death under armed guards.
There never was any round up of Palestinians for execution or
any way to compare those killed during warfare launched by
the Palestinians and Arab neighbors against Israel with the Armenian genocide
or the Killing Fields or the Nazi extermination of European Jews
purely on the basis of their religion.

If Israel had not been attacked, in the many wars initiated against
them by their Palestinian/Arab neighbors then there would have been
no Palestinian deaths. If Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad had not
launched rocket attacks, bus bombings and cafe bombings on Israeli
citizens then Israel would never have been forced to go in and
stop it and there would have been no Palestinians injured from those
conflicts either... So... Back to your original argument,
you compare the Nazi genocide of the Jews to pre-Copernican
incorrect views of the solar system.

Do you really believe that?

There are no doubt inaccuracies in some of the numbers quoted in my list. That said, it doesn't belittle the actual deaths one bit. As Stalin said, "The death of one is a tragedy; the deaths of millions is just a statistic."

Not all of my figures were "drastically exaggerated"; they were figures I came across browsing the web over the years. Admittedly, I took the high figures, which were probably originally quoted by opposition to the various regimes. Historical research invariably drops those numbers drastically, however, what if all those figures were legislated to be "official truth?" Would that not make you a "holocaust denier" for even questioning them?

The other point is what constitutes a holocaust? The definition of the word is "Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life, especially by firee" Given that definition, the hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians who perished in the unnecessary Dresden firebombing, or the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would constitute genuine holocausts.

or the Indian wars Why?

I don't and won't justify ANY mass murder by ANYONE. In fact I abhor all of it. With respect to exagerated death tolls, and as strange as it may sound to some, my figures for American indians are not an exaggeration, but an all-inclusive educated guess, not of just the American Indian wars, but also the Spanish conquest of the americas, and by the diseases brought to the Americas by The Europeans that inadvertently decimated the native population. The figure is hard to pin down exactly, but is unquestionably in the tens of millions.

Back to your original argument,

I'm always skeptical of a dogma. IMO the truth should stand on it's own and should not need the protection of criminalizing legislation. That such legislation even exists anywhere to criminalize anyone who might publicly dispute even the official figures of the death camps stands against the human right to freedom of speech and expression, two principles of law that are dear to the heart of anyone in a truly free society.

Epicycles was a theory that represented the best knowledge of the day. Scientific "revisionists" found a better theory that was more accurate. What would have happened if it was law that they couldn't dispute the authorities? I think from the examples of People Like Galileo, we sort of have our answer. Sooner or later, and to spite the "official truth", the more accurate truth came out. The truth will always prevail eventually. Legislating a dogma only slows it down.

Well I still don't think I got a straight answer.

I can't see how you can say with a straight face that the extremely
well documented evidence of the Holocaust - the genocide of the
Jews in WWII is in any way like the sun revolving around the earth.

Especially for someone who abhors violence.

With all due respect your figures of 70 million killed by Mao
and 60 million killed by Stalin and 30 million killed by Americans
are not merely exaggerated but are completely unjustifiable
exaggerations. It is never a good idea to cite the highest numbers
you can find on the internet for anything.

The Jews killed by Hitler stands on it own. It is quite simply one
of the worst instances in recorded history of genocide and it was
based purely on religious hatred. It is extremely well documented
and it is no wonder why Jews are concerned and wary of anyone who
tries to minimize it, explain it or justify it.

There is no valid comparison between Germany rounding up every Jew
they could find and sending them to death factories and Palestinians
initiating wars with Israel and being killed in the resulting battles.

There is no comparison between checkpoints and mass killings.

Now back to the UN vote.

s1owhand's photo
Tue 12/04/12 08:49 AM
Edited by s1owhand on Tue 12/04/12 08:57 AM

laugh

1) There was no Arab State or nation called "Palestine" in the Middle East in 1948 or before.
While this is true....

I like this little gem:

I won't touch the Holocaust stuff in his video, as his assertions are the "official truth" (legislated dogma that by law, cannot be disputed) in many jurisdictions. I will note however, that official truths (dogmas) have historically contained many lies for the sake of consistency of belief (the Catholic pre-Copernican universe running on epicycles around a central Earth being a good example, etc.)

laugh

I suspect we did. :wink:

Sorry for the delay, but here were a lot of Holocausts to compile. Since you guys were in a rush for an answer, this is only a partial listing. Are you denying any of these occurred?

The Chinese Holocaust - 70,000,000 chinese slaughtered by Mao

The Russian Holocaust - 60,000,000 Russians slaughtered by Stalin

The American Indian Holocaust & cultural genocide - over 30,000,000 Indians slaughtered by European conquest & land theft.

The Armenian Holocaust - 6,000,000 Armenians slaughtered by Turks

German Holocaust - 6,000,000 Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals & political dissidents slaughtered by Germans

The Cambodian Holocaust - 2,000,000 Cambodians slaughtered by the Khmer Rouge

The Iraq Holocaust - over 1,000,000 Iraqi's slaughtered as a result of American war & occupation of Iraq

The Palestinian Holocaust - 300,000 avoidable Palestinian deaths (183,000 children under 5) since 1967 in occupied Palestine.

Israel Holocaust - 2167 Israeli's slaughtered by terrorists since 1967

The Dresden Holocaust - over 1,000,000 people slaughtered by an Allied firebombing in a single evening.

This is only part of the long, sad record of man's inhumanity to man. Each one was a life with the same hopes and dreams of a happy life that we all have. They should ALL be remembered.

(I never even got to the millions of deaths resulting from the unnecessary nuclear bombing of Japan in 1945, orthe other Holocausts of history, but as I say, I was being rushed.)

Well, there is no doubt that there have been a lot of needless
deaths over the years.

There are multiple inaccuracies in your list above however.

Where in the world do you get the numbers for Mao and Stalin? laugh

I don't know of any credible historical analysis which
would give 70 million killings to Mao or 60 million killings
to Stalin or 30 million killings to the American Indian wars.

I don't know of anyone who would credibly compare war combat deaths
with mass exterminations of civilians in concentration camps
either.

or the Indian wars Why?

There were no mass killings of Iraqis by the Americans, no concentration camps to work them to death under armed guards.
There never was any round up of Palestinians for execution or
any way to compare those killed during warfare launched by
the Palestinians and Arab neighbors against Israel with the Armenian genocide
or the Killing Fields or the Nazi extermination of European Jews
purely on the basis of their religion.

If Israel had not been attacked, in the many wars initiated against
them by their Palestinian/Arab neighbors then there would have been
no Palestinian deaths. If Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad had not
launched rocket attacks, bus bombings and cafe bombings on Israeli
citizens then Israel would never have been forced to go in and
stop it and there would have been no Palestinians injured from those
conflicts either... So... Back to your original argument,

s1owhand's photo
Tue 12/04/12 01:01 AM

laugh

While this is true....

I like this little gem:

laugh

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 01:23 PM
whoa

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 01:04 PM

Insane fabrications like controlled demolition or a pulse weapon..

What ever it was it was not a fire.

Nope no fire during the WTC bombings. The flames were photoshopped.
Probably no fuel in the planes.

I heard it was all actually a papermache miniature model that they used
just like when they faked the moon landing.

laugh
There were people standing in the hole were the plane impacted waiting on a rescue that never came.

So how hot could those fires have really been?

I am glad you can joke about one of t he most horrific things to happen to this country

Don't be ridiculous. If you blow up the images large enough you can
tell that the "flames" look exactly like burning marshmallows.

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 01:01 PM
Edited by s1owhand on Mon 12/03/12 01:14 PM
Palestine UN vote creates nothing but trouble

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/03/palestine-un-vote-creates-nothing-but-trouble/

By: Robert Maginnis
12/3/2012 12:12 PM

Last week the United Nations awarded the Palestinian authority a Pyrrhic victory in its quest for statehood. The Authority’s new observer status at the world body creates significant obstacles and unacceptable solutions, and it should move the United States to reconsider its investment in the intractable Israeli-Palestinian dispute.

On Nov. 29th the UN General Assembly approved the de facto recognition of a sovereign Palestinian state which President Mahmoud Abbas labeled its long overdue “birth certificate.” But the UN’s vote has little practical consequence other than to set back the stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

That is the view of the Obama administration. Before the UN elevated the Palestinian Authority to “non-member state” status by a lopsided vote, U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice warned “Today’s unfortunate and counterproductive resolution places further obstacles to peace.” “No resolution can create a state where none exists.”

Ambassador Rice is right about the UN vote creating more obstacles to the peace process. At this point it is unlikely that there will ever be a Palestinian state. Frankly, there are too many obstacles to reach the much ballyhooed goal of independent Palestinian and Israeli states living side by side in peace.

A major obstacle to peace negotiations is the lack of a representative Palestinian peace partner because of the divisive Palestinian political climate. President Abbas consistently fails to offer concrete peace gestures in part because he has no authority over the half of Palestinians who live in the Gaza strip. Those Palestinians are under the heel of Hamas, a U.S.-designated terrorist group, which recently assaulted Israel with hundreds of rockets.

Another obstacle is the animosity average Palestinians share for Israelis. A cursory examination of Palestinian school materials and media reveals a visceral hatred for Jews. No wonder the Islamic Jihad Movement in Palestine easily recruits suicide bombers to kill innocent Israelis and launch rockets at Jewish population centers.

Tens of thousands of Jews live in the West Bank settlements which the Palestinian Authority labels illegal, another obstacle to peace. Last Friday, the day after the UN vote, Israeli officials announced their intention to build 3,000 new Jewish homes in the West Bank. Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told the Associated Press that Israel was “insisting on destroying the two-state solution.” Besides, Abbas has “refused to negotiate with Israel while settlement construction continues in occupied territories.”

The reintegration of Palestinians who fled Israel during the 1948 war is another obstacle. The Palestinians consistently call for the right of return of millions of refugees as part of any peace agreement. Their return would skew Israel’s population in favor of the Arabs, creating a demographic catastrophe for the Jews.

Further, Israel’s Arab Muslim population is growing at a rate almost double the annual growth of the Jewish population. Right now Israel’s population is about 75% Jewish, which excludes the millions of Palestinians living in Gaza and West Bank. Dr. Wahid Abd al-Magid, editor of al-Ahram’s Arab Strategic Report, predicts Arabs may become a majority in Israel in 2035, which explains former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert’s warning of “a [coming] demographic battle, drowned in blood and tears.”

There is also the matter of the pre-1967 borders. The Palestinians insist Israel return to its pre-1967 borders which for the Jews is a serious security obstacle. That would position Palestinians only a few kilometers from Israel’s economic hub, Tel Aviv. Returning to those borders would also put much of East Jerusalem under Palestinian control, which is unacceptable for most Jews.

Israel’s experience abandoning the Gaza Strip is especially instructive here. In 2005 the Israelis turned over Gaza to the Palestinians and since that time Gaza has become an Iranian outpost, a platform for thousands of rockets launched into Israel, and part of a terrorist arms network stretching across the Sinai to Sudan to Tehran.

There are only a few solutions that might work given these obstacles.

The first two solutions require one of the parties to abandon the land. Specifically, the Palestinians could relocate to Jordan and/or Egypt, vacating Israel much as the Israelis left Gaza. Keep in mind most of the people now living in western Jordan are Palestinian and Egypt previously ruled Gaza’s population.

Alternatively, the six million Jews could vacate the land for one free of such obstacles. After all, Israel became a new nation in 1948 and beforehand the Jews were scattered across the world. The UN established the Jewish nation via the 1947 Resolution 181 and could do the same again in a location elsewhere.

Of course both parties have deep roots in Israel, which makes abandonment unlikely. The Jews trace their history in the land back 3,670 years to Abraham, who, as stated in Genesis 12, was granted the land by God: “To your descendants will I give this land….” The Palestinians trace their heritage back thousands of years in the land as well. But there was never a “Palestinian Arab” nation and no entity called Palestine previously existed.

Another option is to partition Israel into a Jewish state and Palestinian state separated by international peacekeepers. The international community would guarantee security by carefully monitoring the flow of personnel and goods. The other obstacles to peace like the right of return would be tossed.

But a permanent peacekeeper force may not be sustainable and/or effective. The history of international peacekeepers in the Middle East is one of failure. Consider the UN Interim Force in Lebanon: It failed to keep Iran’s proxy terrorist group Hezbollah from rearming after the 34-day war with Israel in 2006 , a war the same peacekeepers failed to stop.

The collection of obstacles and the unacceptable solutions leaves the status quo — a costly, intractable dispute. That is why the United States ought to pursue three primary interests and let the parties spend eternity resolving their differences.

First, America shares a security interest with Israel. The Mideast is the epicenter of global hatred for America fueled by Islamists, some of whom are Palestinian. We should cooperate with Israel to limit transnational Islamist terrorism.

Iran’s role as an exporter of transnational terrorism and its nuclear program threaten Israel and American interests. Therefore, we should help Israel counter hegemonic Iran through mutual defense treaties and provide aid for programs like Israel’s anti-rocket Iron Dome.

Second, America has trade interests with Israel and across the region, especially vis-à-vis oil products, which must be nurtured. The Palestinians are an insignificant trade partner. Their influence comes from Arab oil producing countries that push an anti-Israel agenda as a proxy distraction from their domestic mismanagement. America should focus on securing our Mideast markets and ignore the distractions.

Finally, given our poor track record, we should be realistic about promoting our values. Specifically, we removed the Iraqi dictator to install a democratic government and now Baghdad is under the sway of our arch rival Iran. We advocated democracy and human rights in Egypt and our former ally became an Islamist state which persecutes Coptic Christians.

The Israeli-Palestinian dispute is intractable and the recent UN vote is more fool’s gold. With the ever increasing chance for a major Mideast war, the U.S. needs to confine its efforts to only serve our legitimate national interests which, bluntly, are oil and the survival of Israel.

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 12:57 PM

Insane fabrications like controlled demolition or a pulse weapon..

What ever it was it was not a fire.

Nope no fire during the WTC bombings. The flames were photoshopped.
Probably no fuel in the planes.

I heard it was all actually a papermache miniature model that they used
just like when they faked the moon landing.

laugh

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 10:05 AM
There are some very serious issues with how we deliver healthcare in
this country and especially when the health care corporations have
incentives to maximize profit this does not always coincide with best
patient care or most efficient treatment delivery.

60 minutes also had a very powerful expose on suits filed against HMA
for essentially having institutionalized coercion of doctors to admit
billable patients needlessly to boost profit.

See it here: CBS 60 minutes - The Cost of Admission

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50136261n

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 05:59 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=xPR69tBYyWkC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=churchill+wahabis&source=bl&ots=gSdek31Mf3&sig=47c4Vu2tfgfUMJzjCRDFnHgxSdc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KK-8UPSFJNHW0gGEk4DIDw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=churchill%20wahabis&f=false

Never Give In!: The Best of Winston Churchill's Speeches
By Winston S. Churchill

See page 84

Pages displayed by permission of Hyperion. Copyright.

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 02:25 AM

...(the important thing to take way from the definition is that zionism, being a political thing, has nothing to do with religion or ethnicity, and consequently, anti-zionism is not anti-semitism or anti Jew)

That is not completely accurate, is it? While they ought to be independent as abstracts, they often merge. Please note the following:

There is a dangerous confluence between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, though the two concepts are not always identical. Anti-Zionism is often used to conceal hatred of Jews. Anti-Semitic views can be easily distinguished from legitimate criticism of Israel.

1.Consider the source. Is the speaker someone with a history of anti-Jewish attitudes?

2.Critics who habitually single out Israel for condemnation while ignoring far worse actions by other countries (especially other Middle Eastern countries) are anti-Semitic.

3.Likening Israel to Nazi Germany, or to traditional anti-Jewish stereotypical behavior is another sure sign of Jew-baiting.

4.Attacks on the merits of Israel's existence rather than individual government policies are anti-Semitic.

When approached by a student who attacked Zionism, Dr. Martin Luther King responded: “When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You're talking anti-Semitism.”

(From Seymour Martin Lipset, “The Socialism of Fools—The Left, the Jews and Israel,” Encounter, (December 1969), p. 24.)

While I don't cite this work to demonise the left, I have noted the link in more than a few individuals.

[urlhttp://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2733944.html

Professor Kenneth L. Marcus, former staff director at the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, identifies four main views on the relationship between anti-Zionism and antisemitism, at least in North America:
1.anti-Zionism is anti-Semitic in its essence and in most, if not all, of its manifestations;
2.anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism are both analytically and historically distinct, but the two ideologies have merged since 1948;
3.anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism remain distinct, but anti-Zionism occasionally crosses the line into "outright anti-Semitism", while anti-Semitism often pollutes anti-Zionist discourse;
4.anti-Zionism is analytically distinct from anti-Semitism, but much apparent criticism of Israel or Zionism is in fact a thinly veiled expression of anti-Semitism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Zionism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/nov/29/comment

So, it is clear that anti-Zionism can be an expression of anti-Semitism, as can Holocaust denial.

To define anti-Semitism:

The definition of anti-Semitism has been the focus of innumerable discussions and studies. While there is no universally accepted definition, there is a generally clear understanding of what the term encompasses.

For the purposes of this report, anti-Semitism is considered to be hatred toward Jews—individually and as a group—that can be attributed to the Jewish religion and/or ethnicity. An important issue is the distinction between legitimate criticism of policies and practices of the State of Israel, and commentary that assumes an anti-Semitic character. The demonization of Israel, or vilification of Israeli leaders, sometimes through comparisons with Nazi leaders, and through the use of Nazi symbols to caricature them, indicates an anti-Semitic bias rather than a valid criticism of policy concerning a controversial issue.

Global anti-Semitism in recent years has had four main sources:

Traditional anti-Jewish prejudice that has pervaded Europe and some countries in other parts of the world for centuries. This includes ultra-nationalists and others who assert that the Jewish community controls governments, the media, international business, and the financial world.
Strong anti-Israel sentiment that crosses the line between objective criticism of Israeli policies and anti-Semitism.
Anti-Jewish sentiment expressed by some in Europe's growing Muslim population, based on longstanding antipathy toward both Israel and Jews, as well as Muslim opposition to developments in Israel and the occupied territories, and more recently in Iraq.
Criticism of both the United States and globalization that spills over to Israel, and to Jews in general who are identified with both.

http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/40258.htm

Actually, Zionism is inherently religious. Zionism is defined as
the return of members of a specific religion - Jews - to return
to their ancestral homeland state. How could Zionism possibly have nothing
to do with religion?

laugh

Zionism is based in part on prayers said daily by Jews which ask
God to speed a return to the land of Israel.

laugh

s1owhand's photo
Mon 12/03/12 01:52 AM

laugh

While this is true....

I like this little gem:

laugh

s1owhand's photo
Sun 12/02/12 02:50 PM
Edited by s1owhand on Sun 12/02/12 03:42 PM
laugh

Here is how it should really be seen:

This is true.

2) There was no Palestinian nation to steal.

We find that Palestine was in fact composed of primarily Arab nations with all religions present Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

3) There was no Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria etc. in the Ottoman empire.

Right there was only the Ottoman empire. The point is that there
was never any independent entity called Palestine.

4) They were all created out of the ruins of the Turkish empire.

Yep. Palestine did not exist as a separate part of the Turkish
empire.

5) The Jews lived in in the region called Israel continuously for 3700 years.

The Canaanites they descended from did and the Jews of course. There were never any other native states there.

6) The Jews were a majority of the population of Jerusalem since the 19th century.

True.

I won't touch the Holocaust stuff in his video, as his assertions are the "official truth". OK.

Horowitz asserts that Churchill unfairly gave 80 percent of the Palestine mandate to the Arabs and implies that the remaining 20% should rightly have been the Jewish homeland promised in the Balfour Declaration. He asserts that the 1948 division broke what was left into two parts, one for Arabs and one for Jews.

This is accurate. The point of the division in 1948 was to have
two states created, Arab and Jewish to live peacefully side by side
and the Jews accepted this but the Arabs did not and instead
attacked the Jews immediately with all the military might they could
muster from all sides. Of course the history is that the Arabs were
defeated and the state of Israel was refounded in 1948.

I do appreciate the sincerity of the response and the effort to
clarify the point of view, definitions and the effort to avoid
a simple ad hominem rejection.

As far as the origin and meaning of the name "Palestine", the
Wiki is a reasonable place to start:

Palestine (Arabic: فلسطين‎ Filasṭīn, Falasṭīn, Filisṭīn; Greek: Παλαιστίνη, Palaistinē; Latin: Palaestina; Hebrew: פלשתינה Palestina) is a conventional name, among others, for the geographic region in Western Asia between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River, and various adjoining lands.[1][2][3][4][5][6] The region is also known as the Land of Israel (Hebrew: ארץ־ישראל Eretz-Yisra'el),[7] the Holy Land and the Southern Levant,[8] and historically has been known by other names including Canaan, Southern Syria and Outremer.

The boundaries of the region have changed throughout history, and were last defined in modern times by the Franco-British boundary agreement (1920) and the Transjordan memorandum of 16 September 1922, during the mandate period.[9] Today, the region comprises the State of Israel and the Palestinian territories.[10]

s1owhand's photo
Sun 12/02/12 10:34 AM
Edited by s1owhand on Sun 12/02/12 11:29 AM

whoa

Don't forget the link I cited too!
http://youtu.be/dnIKRse86GU

I watched it. Just let me know if you'd like me to critique it.

Give it your best shot. Stick to the video though - not the usual
ad hominem fallacious argument stuff that is often seen on the
forums. All cogent and accurate counterarguments are encouraged.

So far though most of what I see in the Israel bashing threads
is emotional thinly supported or unsupported claims about Israel
rather than carefully reasoned logic.

Nonetheless, if you can address the points made in the video and
say why they are not accurate it might be more interesting than
the usual regurgitated Israel-bashing propaganda....

drinker

the honest truth in the light of day is that Israel has made a nation - where the Palestinians are still the descendants of the PLO a terrorist organization that has contributed little but strife to society (all with a million "excuses" that in the light of day are not important)

:smile: waving

:thumbsup:

And everyone can read a well documented history of Israel
and the region here!

drinker

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths3/mftoc.html

s1owhand's photo
Sun 12/02/12 01:36 AM

whoa

I watched it. Just let me know if you'd like me to critique it.

Give it your best shot. Stick to the video though - not the usual
ad hominem fallacious argument stuff that is often seen on the
forums. All cogent and accurate counterarguments are encouraged.

So far though most of what I see in the Israel bashing threads
is emotional thinly supported or unsupported claims about Israel
rather than carefully reasoned logic.

Nonetheless, if you can address the points made in the video and
say why they are not accurate it might be more interesting than
the usual regurgitated Israel-bashing propaganda....

drinker

s1owhand's photo
Sat 12/01/12 06:22 PM
Edited by s1owhand on Sat 12/01/12 06:55 PM
whoa

s1owhand's photo
Sat 12/01/12 04:55 PM

I think government's job is laid out clearly in the preamble of the constitution.

...provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare and secure the blessings of liberty...

:thumbsup:

s1owhand's photo
Sat 12/01/12 02:33 PM
Edited by s1owhand on Sat 12/01/12 02:35 PM

It is ridiculous to declare the Palestinians a state with no
government, no land and whose main function is to create war crime
attacks on Israel.

What do they vote for in their elections, chopped liver?

No land?…somebody should fill them in that all that land is the property of Israel. Maybe they'd quit fighting to get it back eh?

Their main function is war crimes? Isn't that just your Goebbellian opinion?…or can you cite sources to substantiate it?

Yes, statehood is important to Israel. They have a real government, real lands and a functional democratic society which
respects peaceful neighbors and does not engage in trying to kill
innocent people.

Why didn't Israel wait until the world recognized it as a state instead of unilaterally declaring statehood?

…real (stolen?) lands…

…does not engage in trying to kill
innocent people. laugh

3. Parts of the Knesset are not at war with other parts of the Knesset.

You obviously aren't acquainted with the parliamentary process. laugh

Terrorists are not part of the Israeli government.
Terrorist actions are not condoned in any way by Israel and if
any crimes occur they are prosecuted. Not celebrated.

Wasn't Menachem Begin one of Israel's prime ministers and "founding fathers?"…Was he ever prosecuted for his terrorist crimes, like his involvement in blowing up the King David hotel? What prosecution resulted from Israel's act of air piracy on a Syrian airliner in December 1954? Was Ariel Sharon prosecuted for the Sabra & Shatila massacres? Who was prosecuted for trying to sink the USS Liberty?…Oh sorry, I forgot…it was a "mistake."

The status of the Israeli borders has been in flux over the years
due solely to attacks on Israel from their Arab neighbors who did
not respect any of Israel's borders.

Which borders?…Can you define them? What do the two blue lines in the flag of Israel symbolize?

There has never been a
conclusion to the last set of conflicts or agreement on how the
Palestinian people will agree to live peacefully alongside Israel.
That is why there is no border to the Palestinian entity.

It's pretty hard to get the peaceful agreement of a people after you've stolen their land and kicked them out of a good portion of it.

Israel insists that any border which arises out of the last series
of conflicts be one which is easy to defend on the basis of the
many attacks they have endured over the years from their neighbors
on the basis of religious hatred. Israel insists that they have
confidence building measures and that any state created by the
Palestinians recognize Israel's permanent right to exist as a
Jewish state. But Palestinians refuse to accept Israel.

The American Indians refused to accept the theft of their land too, so "we" destroyed them as a people and murdered many in the process. If that was the right thing to do, then maybe Israel has a case. Personally, I don't think it was right in North America and it looks to me to be just as wrong in the Middle East.

That's where we stand and no matter what they call it at the UN…

In other words, the opinion of the rest of the world doesn't mean anything to israel.

Who is "we"?

1. We is "everybody". Another way of stating it would be this is
how the situation stands today.

2. The Palestinians are not like the American Indians and can't
reasonably be compared to them. The Palestinians are not indigenous
people. The Palestinians never governed the region with tribes or
any other type of governance (until after the Oslo accords)...
There was never "Palestinian land" and Israel never destroyed it.

3. As indicated above, Israel never "stole" anyone's land and Israel
did not force them out. Israelis bought a lot of land and Israel
captured a lot of land as a result of defensive wars which they
never wanted in the first place. They have returned/evacuated the
vast majority of the land they captured. Sinai was returned to
Egypt and Gaza was evacuated. The Palestinians are all formerly
Jordanians and Egyptians who were never resettled after the 67
war by Jordan or Egypt. The are ethnically diverse and most
Palestinians arrived in the region during the same time the Israelis
arrived in the region.

4. Begin and Sharon were not directly responsible for massacres and
were never prosecuted despite accusations against them. The King
David hotel was a military installation at the time of that incident
- not civilians. The Sabra/Shatila massacres were not carried
out by Israelis but by Lebanese. The accusation is that Israelis
allowed it to happen but it is never been clear or decided that
there was anything the Israelis could have done to prevent it for
certain. So just more slander and misrepresentation on your part.
As you say it is pretty obvious that the USS Liberty accident was
a mistake. There was never any reason for the Israelis to attack
their best and most trusted ally.

5. Finally, I am familiar with the parliamentary process and it is
not exactly the same as bus bombings.

laugh

The rest of your comments I find hard to take seriously.

War crimes? Hamas bus bombings, cafe bombings, rocket attacks.

Elections does not mean a functional government when Hamas,
Fatah and Islamic Jihad ignore the elections and settle their
disputes with extrajudicial beatings and killings.

Israeli borders? Look it up anywhere or see this link...