Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:49 PM
did

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:46 PM
themselves

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:44 PM

My question to you would be why are you thinking along the lines of solipism (or being fooled by some other beings).

Is there some reason you have to feel that this is the way things are? Or are you just considering it simply because it's an obvious possiblity?

It was my older brother who started me thinking about these things when I was about 15. He'd often ask me to prove to him that I was real and I never could. This always stuck with me.

Then when I was in college I met up with some friends who liked to discuss this and similar themes.

At the risk of sounding crazy, I'll say this: during the time when we were talking about this a lot there were two films that came out that heavily involved the subject - Dark City and The Matrix. It seemed to me at the time that these films were made purely for me, like they were clues sent by a force opposing that which controlled everything. I even thought that my friends were hints too - cheats, like in a computer game.

Sh!t, this does sound nuts, I can't explain it well - it makes perfect sense in my head, but when I try to explain it to someone else it always comes off as sounding totally crazy.

I almost deleted this, but f*ck it, I'm gonna hit post reply.

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:30 PM
giant

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:28 PM
I'm a TNG nut - never really got into any of the other series (including the original - shame on me, I know), but the trailers for the new film look great.

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:27 PM
They'll never be as good as the classics, but Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain were brilliant.

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:25 PM
laugh Great smiley laugh

Reap

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:25 PM
time

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:24 PM

%syntax error 138 - please contact your administrator%

:laughing: :laughing: rofl :laughing: :laughing: Thanks Dan drinks You never fail to make me chuckle drinker

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 05:23 PM
Thank you Abracadabra drinker

I'm going to confess my ignorance and say that I've never even heard of the word Solipsism before. I'm checking it out on wikipedia now and it seems it is exactly what I'm on about. I know wikipedia isn't 100% trustworthy; if you know of a more reliable source of info on this subject I'd be glad to hear about it.

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 04:32 PM

How do you know I'm real? All anyone sees is words and pictures on a screen

Have you ever spoken to a computer that can respond to you with such accurate and relevant responses?

Computers just aint this good.

A computer would also unlikely be programmed to randomly say BOLLOCKS, for no apparent reason.

But that would be part of the illusion, wouldn't it?

Pete026's photo
Mon 05/11/09 04:17 PM

1. Define what you mean by exist.

Ok, by exist I mean that you are a thinking, feeling, human being like (all BS aside) I know I am. For all I know, you and everyone else on the internet could be part of a computer program, designed to answer as a real person would.

I think I need to say here that I'm not actually insane laugh I'm not trying to start a battle of wits either. It's just a topic that interests me a lot.

2. By my way of thinking, if you respond to me, that very act is an acknowledgement by you that you recognize my existence.

Does it? You could still be a program.

How do you know I'm real? All anyone sees is words and pictures on a screen.

To take it further, how do you know anyone, in "real" life as well as online, is real? Once they're out of your field of vision they could, for all anyone knows, cease to be. Like a computer game - the program only draws what the player can see.

I think it's truly impossible for anyone to prove to somebody else that they exist. If anyone can, please do so! I don't claim to know everything laugh and I don't mind being proved wrong (in this case it would be a joy to be proved wrong!)

Bring on the proof folks! drinker

3. If you fail to respond to me, I'll take that to be an indication that you may very well have ceased to exist. laugh

Your move. bigsmile

Geeze, why does this feel like the opening of a game of chess?

laugh drinker

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 11:03 PM

WELL U should stop smoking! smokin

:laughing: I haven't had a toot for quite some time now. Not that I woudln't want to of course smokin

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 11:01 PM

when i first heard led zeppelin's 'whole lotta love' solo i crapped my pants. i then spent the next 3 weeks perfecting it. i still love that solo. it comes out of that hazy weird interlude with a hammering drum roll leading to a fuzzed bluesy solo. excellent.

Same here, I love playing along to that'un.

As for Voodoo Chile, I don't even bother trying to play that anymore. I'll never be as good and Jimi and I accept that.

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:55 PM
Green ships sink

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:54 PM

the question is?? are you really realnoway grumble

I've long suspected that I am not.

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:53 PM
I Want You (She's So Heavy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6ZZTfiQAw

Probably my fave Beatles track drinker

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:50 PM

NOPE i'm waaaaayyyy FAKE! :wink:

Just as I suspected! spock :laughing:

Seriously though, try.

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:49 PM
there is a game i play
try to make myself ok
try so hard to make the pieces all fit
smash it apart just for the f__k of it

bye bye

gotta get back to the bottom
the big comedown isn't that what you wanted?
find a place with the failed and forgotten
isn't that really what you wanted now

there is no place i can go
there is no way i can hide
it feels like it keeps coming from the inside

there is a hate that burns within
the most desperate place i have ever been
try to get back to where i'm from
the closer i get the worse it becomes
the closer i get the worse it becomes

there is no place i can go
there is no place i can hide
it feels like it keeps coming from the inside

Pete026's photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:44 PM
If I drove 1000 miles I'd be in the ocean laugh

Seriously though, I wouldn't, not any more.

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 24 25