Community > Posts By > KerryO

KerryO's photo
Sat 10/23/10 04:46 AM
Edited by KerryO on Sat 10/23/10 04:49 AM

Kerry O,

I'm not going to play this game. You mischaracterize me relentlessly. Maybe you just don't grasp the nuance of my beliefs. I honestly don't know. Please refrain from talking about me in the future. I'm not the topic of debate.

But, of course, Fundamentalists see nothing wrong with taking little digs at the Unbelievers like mischaracterizing them as liars when they rebut The Agenda with pesky facts. Of being incapable of understanding the Truth, of being like you stated above 'easily impressed', mischaracterizing them as rubes and pawns of Satan.

Doesn't your religion teach something along the lines of 'you get what you give'?

To boot, you didn't touch any of the facts posted above. Are you throwing in the towel?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 10/22/10 05:54 PM

However, one of its champions, Thomas Jefferson, IS on the record elsewhere saying that that WAS his intent of what WAS there. It's a legal doctrine as old as the Constitution itself.

James Madison, NOT Thomas Jefferson, proposed the bill of rights.

Read it again. I said he was one of its champions. NOW who isn't grasping distinctions? Both Madison AND Jefferson worked on Virginia's religious freedoms bill, which predates the Constitution.

Here is what Thomas Jefferson said...the phrase the left uses to bash every politician who mentions religion (other than Obama, Bill and Jimmy)

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

That's an interesting quote and it can be interpreted many different ways, but it's a quote from a letter, NOT LAW. Thomas Jefferson didn't write the law, so looking at his letter to the Danbury Baptists doesn't give you any insight to the original intent.

Of course it does. The VERY words "a wall of separation of Church and State" are spelled out by one of the Founding Fathers himself. In plain English! He said it! And, apparently, O'Donnell doesn't know he said them.

And if you want to get all 'insightful', puzzle me this: if they indeed intended this to be a CHRISTIAN nation, why aren't the names Jesus or Christ or Christian spelled out right in the Consitution or its amendments in equally plain English?

If you want to convince me that the founding fathers intended the first amendment to prevent pray groups in schools and nativity scenes on public property, you are going to have to look elsewhere.

Sorry, not my job. The Courts have done that.

And the Religious Right proved they were talking out of both sides of their mouths on the issue of religious freedom when they tried to prevent PRIVATE LAND from being used for a mosque in New York recently.

I am not aware of anyone saying that they didn't have the RIGHT, the arguments I heard from the right was that is was an offensive thing to do. Just as Greg Gutfeld has the right to build a gay bar that caters to Muslims next to a Mosque, it's a rude and offensive thing to do.

Oh please. Pat Roberston and Jay Sekulow, that dynamic duo who brought us the ACLJ, have filed a suit to prevent it. That's an easy-to-verify fact.

And this quote from Newt Gingich can't be interpreted any other way:

...America is experiencing an Islamist cultural-political offensive designed to undermine and destroy our civilization. Sadly, too many of our elites are the willing apologists for those who would destroy them if they could.

No mosque.

No self deception.

No surrender.

The time to take a stand is now - at this site on this issue. -- Newt Gingrich

You yourself once wrote here that Unbelievers slaughtered at the direction of God Almighty in the Old Testament were indeed fortunate because they could sin no more. With that kind mindset, who WOULD trust fundamentalist Christians to NOT do legal violence to minorities were the First Amendment not there as a stumbling block to their religious and political ambitions?

-Kerry O.

I'm going to chalk this up to your memory being clouded and your insessent belief that I am some sort of monster. I never said that and I would ask that you try to quote me when you want to talk about something I've said or just don't comment, because you don't grasp my arguments and constantly manage to mischaracterize me, my beliefs and my motivations.

I never said you were a monster. I think you do have some bizarre Fundamentalist viewpoints you defend with equally bizarre Biblical paraphrasing and this is one of them. I'd make you a deal that if I searched the archives and found it, you'd recant, but you'd just complain I was taking your direct quote out of context or other such debating tactic. You've made a lot of those kind of "deals" in the past and then walked away from them when people held your feet to the fire.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 10/21/10 02:45 PM
Edited by KerryO on Thu 10/21/10 02:46 PM

I just read in the news today that one of the Tea Party candidates claimed that the First Amendment didn't _really_ have an Establishment clause in it pertinent to religion.

Oooops.

-Kerry O.

Yeah, O'Donnell from Delaware. She didn't say that the first amendment didn't have an establishment clause. What she said was that "Seperation of church and state" wasn't part of the first amendment. That's absolutely true.

No, that's a truism-- the phrase 'Separation of Church and State' does indeed NOT appear in the First Ammendment. However, one of its champions, Thomas Jefferson, IS on the record elsewhere saying that that WAS his intent of what WAS there. It's a legal doctrine as old as the Constitution itself. For O'Donnell to pretend it doesn't exist doesn't bode well for her candidacy.

The 1st Amendment prevents the Congress from establishing a state religion, it doesn't prevent prayer groups in school or nativity scenes on the town square. If the majority of the people in an area want to use public land or schools for that purpose, that is their right...or at least it should be.

And the Religious Right proved they were talking out of both sides of their mouths on the issue of religious freedom when they tried to prevent PRIVATE LAND from being used for a mosque in New York recently.

If one is the LEAST bit objective about American's Founding Principles, one sees over and over and over again in The Federalist Papers that the movers and shakers behind the Constitution fully understood how the rights of minorities needed protection against the tyranny of the majorities and the mischiefs they could inflict on law-abiding members of those minorities.

You yourself once wrote here that Unbelievers slaughtered at the direction of God Almighty in the Old Testament were indeed fortunate because they could sin no more. With that kind mindset, who WOULD trust fundamentalist Christians to NOT do legal violence to minorities were the First Amendment not there as a stumbling block to their religious and political ambitions?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 10/19/10 08:12 PM

Um, how would a terrorist supporter have gotten into a "Closed Door Meeting" in the first place? Or are you taking liberties with the phrase 'terrorist supporter' to mean anyone who doesn't support George Bush or the Religious Right agenda for America? BTW, does this 'terrorist supporter' have a name?

How did he get there? He was invited, he was in a position of power in Palestine. His name is Nabil Shaath and he is a member of Fatah.

Isn't that interesting? One wonders what would be said if Obama did the same thing...

-Kerry O.

Conservatives would speak out against that meeting, just as they did when it was President Bush, but this time around they would be called racists.

Well, you're a conservative and instead of condemning Bush for holding it, you used it to refute an assertion that Bush's religiosity crossed the line.

I just read in the news today that one of the Tea Party candidates claimed that the First Amendment didn't _really_ have an Establishment clause in it pertinent to religion.

Oooops.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 10/19/10 07:50 PM

so what's the count here so far?
i think dmans is a foul tip, because it causes problems
and kerrys is a swing and a miss cause it doesn't last
so that leaves astro as a yes
and dubz and bulldog with a no

I don't recall anyone appointing you umpire, Mr. Bicep. For your information, one of my best friends is a woman for longer than all my other relationships with women combined.

Having testicles doesn't _necessarily_ mean one doesn't have any self-control.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 10/19/10 07:40 PM

a dose of male honesty would be nice here
j

I'm sure you know of the phrase 'Friends with Benefits'? Sometimes it means that the guy gets the benefit of fixing the girls' cars and electronics.

And sometimes, too, the radars stay on but he's just not that into you and there's a Failure to Launch. That one rarely works out well, either.

Honest enough?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 10/19/10 07:30 PM

Hey Guys......if you liked a girl alot and she doesn't feel the same but really values your friendship....could you be her friend?

Sure, and I've done so in the past. They usually don't last, though, because Three's A Crowd. Then too, sometimes women can't handle having the guy having the power to say 'No.'

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 10/19/10 02:40 PM

Um, how would a terrorist supporter have gotten into a "Closed Door Meeting" in the first place? Or are you taking liberties with the phrase 'terrorist supporter' to mean anyone who doesn't support George Bush or the Religious Right agenda for America? BTW, does this 'terrorist supporter' have a name?

How did he get there? He was invited, he was in a position of power in Palestine. His name is Nabil Shaath and he is a member of Fatah.

Isn't that interesting? One wonders what would be said if Obama did the same thing...

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 10/19/10 01:57 PM

No, I'm talking about George W. Bush, who claimed God spoke to him and who created an official office in the Executive Branch for faith-based initiatives. To my knowledge, no other president had such agency.

-Kerry O.

Just to clarify, President Bush never claimed that. A terrorist supporter claimed that following a closed door meeting. Everyone else at the meeting denied that President Bush made that claim.

From Stephen Mansfield’s unauthorized 2004 campaign hagiography, The Faith of George W. Bush. In it, Mansfield sets out an account of events following upon that phone call, based on an apparently recent interview with Robison:

On the day that the evangelist entered Bush’s office, he was surprised to find political strategist Karl Rove there as well, and even more surprised at what Bush was about to say. “My life is changed,” the governor said. “I had a drinking problem. I won’t say I was an alcoholic, but it affected my relationships, even with my kids. It could have destroyed me. But I’ve given my life to Christ.”

Robison, who had heard rumors of Bush’s conversion, was struck by the sincerity he sensed. He was not prepared, though, for what came next. “I feel like God wants me to run for president,” Bush said. “I can’t explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen, and, at that time, my country is going to need me. I know it won’t be easy, on me or my family, but God wants me to do it.”

“In fact,” Bush continued, “I really don’t want to run. My father was president. My whole family has been affected by it. I know the price. I know what it will mean. I would be perfectly happy to have people point at me someday when I’m buying my fishing lures at Wal-Mart and say, ‘That was our governor.’ That’s all I want. And if I run for president, that kind of life will be over. My life will never be the same. But I feel God wants me to do this, and I must do it.”

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 10/17/10 09:32 PM

religious books are complex writings, I have seen both sides nitpick verses out of context to prove a point

here is the counter from muslims who believe christians to be hypocrites

http://www.answering-christianity.com/ac12.htm#links

both sides have determined haters who make a point of seeking out such passages, and ignoring the passages which might counter their argument,,

Christians don't call for the murder of any non believers.

extreme christians(like abortion clinic bombers or abortion doctor assasins) surely do

and one who is determined can CERTAINLY find verses in the bible that they can claim prove GOD himself did so

So what?People have killed people because they took LSD and said their cat in the corner of the room told them to do it.

This whole stupid debate bringing in Christianity is pointless.It's pointless because the Christian bible specifically commands NOT TO KILL.It specifically says to forgive and to turn the other cheek.There is no justification for killing anyone for any reason using the bible for reference.It is this reason why the 3 billion Christians in this world are not killing people all over the world on a daily basis in the name of Jesus Christ.

Islam on the other hand specifically does command to kill nonbelievers and killing in the name of Islam is justified using the Koran.A person can kill another person or many people and claim he was justified for doing so.

I have said it many times before.People worrying about getting killed by a demented Christian is the last thing they are worried about.I think the odds of someone being killed by a demented Christian using the bible for justification is probably about 300 million to one.

And of course those odds go down considerably if you're in N. Ireland where Protestants and Catholics have been killing each other for decades.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 10/17/10 04:31 PM
Edited by KerryO on Sun 10/17/10 04:48 PM

religious books are complex writings, I have seen both sides nitpick verses out of context to prove a point

here is the counter from muslims who believe christians to be hypocrites

http://www.answering-christianity.com/ac12.htm#links

both sides have determined haters who make a point of seeking out such passages, and ignoring the passages which might counter their argument,,

Christians don't call for the murder of any non believers.

Some of the more radical ones on here have frequently stated we MUST nuke Iran.

Madelalyn Murray O'Hair was the frequent target of death threats after her suit before the Supreme Court was won in the early 60's and which declared compulsory prayer in public schools to be unconstitutional. She and two members of her family were murdered and federal agents were left to solve the case after the Austin P.D. showed a marked apathy for finding the person(s) responsible. Even after the murder was found and convicted, he was sentenced to only 20 years for three murders.

More recently, radical Christians have called for atheists to be barred from holding public offices.

Jesus himself is purportedly quoted in the Bible as saying "Think not that I come to bring peace to the world, but a sword." (And yes, I KNOW that it will be stated that that was only a metaphor not to be taken literally. But if that's true, why do the same people who way that take EVERYTHING Islam says as literal?)

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 10/15/10 06:35 PM

what percentage of the muslims are extremists would you say?

I'd say the number would be porportional to that of other religious creeds.

When Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, would you say that was the work of Muslim extremism or just that of the Baath Party (which, if memory serves, was started by a Christian)?

Or how about this? Were the Viet Cong extremists, or a product of the time in which they lived? And if so, where are they now that America is again making nice with a unified Viet Nam?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 10/15/10 06:14 PM

So why does Windows in any flavor give
me such a headache???
frustrated frustrated frustrated
I have been handed two gateway laptops
with Windows Vista and one I THOUGHT I
fixed until I loaded updates and another
that still has the wrap on it and it
does not work right.
Is Microsoft trying to reinvent darkness?

If Microsoft made lightbulbs, they would
get a patent on bulbs that suck darkness
instead of ones that gave off light.
(And declare them an industry standard.)
-Kerry O.

hahaha
The Black Hole Bulb.

They go nicely with the Blue Screen of Death.

-Kerry O. "Galaxy not found- press any key to reboot Universe."

KerryO's photo
Fri 10/15/10 06:03 PM

So why does Windows in any flavor give me such a headache???

frustrated frustrated frustrated

I have been handed two gateway laptops with Windows Vista and one I THOUGHT I fixed until I loaded updates and another that still has the wrap on it and it does not work right.

Is Microsoft trying to reinvent darkness?

If Microsoft made lightbulbs, they would get a patent on bulbs that suck darkness instead of ones that gave off light. (And declare them an industry standard.)

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 10/15/10 05:51 PM
I don't take any chances. I have a cynical profile AND a dishonest picture.

-Kerry O. "...and I'm going to take all the money I've saved on contraceptives over the years and use it to buy a boring, dependable car."

KerryO's photo
Fri 10/15/10 05:20 PM

Actually he went to a Islamic School overseas for several years that did teach parts of radicalism.

Yes, but did he _choose_ to attend those schools? Did he embrace that radicalism?

How could he? He was only a child at that point.

We all know stories of people who were raised in less-than-ideal backgrounds and circumstances who threw off the yoke of wrongheaded thinking and went on to become exemplars of society.

Likewise, we probably all could name people from privileged backgrounds who went on to commit awful crimes.

One thing is for sure-- we can repudiate our parents, but somehow some particle of the relationship bubbles up to the surface sometimes to haunt us if the sum of the parts of that relationship didn't add up to an ideal one.

-Kerry O.

Look at the "Children" AQ, The Taliban, TTP, AQAP, Hezbullah, Hamas and the other terrorist orginizations are using as human shields and suicide bombers.

If you're trying to imply that that's typical Muslim behaviour ( and I don't believe it is, it's just the work of extremists brainwashing those children), haven't you dealt your argument that Obama is a Muslim a fatal blow? I doubt that you can find one instance of him approving of that sort of behaviour.

I would suggest that merely the fact we are still in Afghanistan also bodes ill for the argument that he's a closet Muslim.

But hey... opinions vary.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 10/14/10 05:39 PM

Don't you understand why there are terminal illnesses and bad things in this world, because of sin, Sweetie. Perhaps those folks don't understand why they are suffering. I have no idea why some people suffer more than others on Earth. I do know that God has a grand plan in it all. I cannot make any of you see or understand that, but I know it exists nonetheless.

Present your evidence. Obviously, your beliefs work for you, and paraphrasing Thomas Jefferson, those beliefs "...neither pick my pocket or break my legs." But, you're going to have to be far more persuasive and base your arguments on more solid constructs than Christian theology if I'm going to invest myself in those beliefs. I've already been there, and they didn't work for me.

I can't unlearn what I've seen on lab instruments or witnessed by rubbing shoulders with people who even now are unravelling the mysteries of life on this planet.

For example, have you ever heard of Henrietta Lacks? She died of an extremely virulent form of cancer in the middle of the last century. Yet, some of her cells live on in the laboratory. Were you to look at those cells under a microscope, you couldn't possibly see sin. And I doubt you could find any particle of a soul in them.

My skepticism, intellectual curiosity, thirst for knowledge and readiness to discard the unproven has served me well over the period of my lifetime.

I can no more give them up than you can your faith.

-Kerry O.

Kerry, sin is not in the blood or in cells. Sin is the actions of human beings. It is the things we do wrong and ways we are disobedient.

But Gummi, when the surgeons at Johns Hopkins did surgery on me, they were getting rid of something (if you believe God makes people) of something allegedly put there by your god. Apparently, I was born with the abnormal lesion and it just got worse.

And that lesion did not consist of my or other peoples' sins or disobedient actions. All the prayer in the world couldn't have made it go away. The ancient Hebrews, even on their best day, couldn't have designed and built the machines that the doctors used to diagnose and pinpoint it. The doctors of the middle ages could never have developed the skills to deal with it either.

It's fortunate that I was born in the Age of Reason. Otherwise, my life would have probably been a short and painful one.

-Kerry O.

And how are you trying to simulate you having lesion to sins? So you got lesion, it was healed, move on my friend. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Precisely. But Gummi seems to think there is some link.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 10/14/10 05:07 PM

Don't you understand why there are terminal illnesses and bad things in this world, because of sin, Sweetie. Perhaps those folks don't understand why they are suffering. I have no idea why some people suffer more than others on Earth. I do know that God has a grand plan in it all. I cannot make any of you see or understand that, but I know it exists nonetheless.

Present your evidence. Obviously, your beliefs work for you, and paraphrasing Thomas Jefferson, those beliefs "...neither pick my pocket or break my legs." But, you're going to have to be far more persuasive and base your arguments on more solid constructs than Christian theology if I'm going to invest myself in those beliefs. I've already been there, and they didn't work for me.

I can't unlearn what I've seen on lab instruments or witnessed by rubbing shoulders with people who even now are unravelling the mysteries of life on this planet.

For example, have you ever heard of Henrietta Lacks? She died of an extremely virulent form of cancer in the middle of the last century. Yet, some of her cells live on in the laboratory. Were you to look at those cells under a microscope, you couldn't possibly see sin. And I doubt you could find any particle of a soul in them.

My skepticism, intellectual curiosity, thirst for knowledge and readiness to discard the unproven has served me well over the period of my lifetime.

I can no more give them up than you can your faith.

-Kerry O.

Kerry, sin is not in the blood or in cells. Sin is the actions of human beings. It is the things we do wrong and ways we are disobedient.

But Gummi, when the surgeons at Johns Hopkins did surgery on me, they were getting rid of something (if you believe God makes people) of something allegedly put there by your god. Apparently, I was born with the abnormal lesion and it just got worse.

And that lesion did not consist of my or other peoples' sins or disobedient actions. All the prayer in the world couldn't have made it go away. The ancient Hebrews, even on their best day, couldn't have designed and built the machines that the doctors used to diagnose and pinpoint it. The doctors of the middle ages could never have developed the skills to deal with it either.

It's fortunate that I was born in the Age of Reason. Otherwise, my life would have probably been a short and painful one.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Wed 10/13/10 04:52 PM

Actually he went to a Islamic School overseas for several years that did teach parts of radicalism.

Yes, but did he _choose_ to attend those schools? Did he embrace that radicalism?

How could he? He was only a child at that point.

We all know stories of people who were raised in less-than-ideal backgrounds and circumstances who threw off the yoke of wrongheaded thinking and went on to become exemplars of society.

Likewise, we probably all could name people from privileged backgrounds who went on to commit awful crimes.

One thing is for sure-- we can repudiate our parents, but somehow some particle of the relationship bubbles up to the surface sometimes to haunt us if the sum of the parts of that relationship didn't add up to an ideal one.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Wed 10/13/10 04:33 PM

I have been thinking a lot about this. I know I have a couple of times, and if I have offended anyone I am truly sorry.

I think we should all use proper names when talking about persons or businesses or organizations.

I have been giving a lot of thought to this and it really disrespects the people you are talking to. I am referring to things like Oblowme, Obummer, Obama Bin Laden, Pox News, Dippic, Chimpy, Tea Baggers, Tea Bagging etc. I think you get the picture.

You automatically lose the debate or discussion when you make comments like that and frankly sound like a third grader. I know I am guilty as well and have used the Obama Bin Laden one a couple times.

A lot of those comments are meant to degrade and insult and hurt members and it's just not right. We can disagree and do it civilly.

Again I am sorry to anyone I might have offended especially Dragoness, MSharmony, Kerry O, Atlantis and others.

For the good of the community lets all try to treat each other with more respect.

Truth be told, you're not a bad sort-- I've had far more agressive leisure debate partners over the last 20 years of discussing politics on the Internet. The nature of the beast seems more aptly described as triage surgery in a war zone. A lot of the ideas die on the table and it's a messy bidness.

Paradoxically, often the most interesting people are the ones with whom you disagree the most vehemently. And they're often the ones who have the most staying power, as they can take a roundhouse punch with a million dollar smile and land one in their opposite's intellectual solar plexus before their opponents know what hit them.

I'd never run for office myself. LOL, these days you have to some kind of masochist with a post-grad degree in narcissism to get anywhere.

-Kerry O.