Pecan Pie (Adapted from Sweet Stuff):
Short Crust Pastry:
1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp granulated white sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch (2.54 cm) pieces
1/8 to 1/4 C ice water

Method Of Preparation:
In a food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal (about 15 seconds). Pour 1/8 cup (30 ml) water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube until the dough just holds together when pinched. If necessary, add more water. Do not process more than 30 seconds.

Turn the dough onto your work surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to one hour before using. This will chill the butter and relax the gluten in the flour.

After the dough has chilled sufficiently, place on a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 13 inch (33 cm) circle. (To prevent the pastry from sticking to the counter and to ensure uniform thickness, keep lifting up and turning the pastry a quarter turn as you roll (always roll from the center of the pastry outwards).) Fold the dough in half and gently transfer to a 9 inch (23 cm) pie pan. Brush off any excess flour and tuck the overhanging pastry under itself. Use a fork to make a decorative border or else crimp the edges using your fingers. Refrigerate the pastry, covered with plastic wrap, for about 30 minutes before pouring in the filling.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Place the oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.

Pecan Filling:
1 C dark brown sugar
2/3 C Lyle's Golden Syrup (or dark corn syrup)
2 1/2 tablespoon rum or bourbon
2 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1/4 C cream
1/4 salt
1 1/2 - 2 C (150 - 200 grams) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 C pecan halves

Method Of Preparation:
In a large saucepan, heat the brown sugar, Lyle's Golden Syrup, rum, vanilla and butter until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool until tepid. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. When the boiled syrup has cooled, beat in the eggs, salt, and cream.

Remove the chilled pastry crust from the refrigerator and evenly distribute the chopped pecans over the bottom of the crust. Then pour the filling evenly over the nuts,then arrange pecan halves on top of pie. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is just set (a toothpick inserted into the center of the pie will come out clean. (If you find the edges of the pie crust are over browning during baking, cover with foil.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipping cream.

Maple Whipped Cream:
1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Method of Preparation:
Place the heavy whipping cream and maple syrup in bowl of your electric mixer. With the whisk attachment, whip the cream until soft peaks form.

kiwi2183's photo
Mon 11/23/09 06:40 AM
Earth Song

kiwi2183's photo
Mon 11/23/09 06:38 AM
Since Thanksgiving is almost here; here is a new, delicious dessert for you all to try, Enjoy!:

Sweet Potato Cupcakes (Adapted from Cupcake Project):
3 C flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
3 C sugar
1 1/2 C pureed sweet potatoes (If you use a canned project, try and get a brand without cornsyrup in it)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 C vegetable oil
1 C apple cider
Unbaked crumb topping (1/2 C butter, 1 C flour, and 1 C brown sugar mixed by hand until crumbly)

Method Of Preparation:
1.Whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda.
2.In a large bowl, combine the sugar, sweet potatoes, vanila extract and eggs. Beat until smooth.
3.Mix in the oil and apple cider.
4.Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
5.Fill cupcake liners halfway.
6.Add a thin layer of the unbaked crumb topping on top of the batter. Bake the remainder of the crumb topping according to the directions in the crumb topping, recipe follows.
7.Top off each cupcake with batter until 3/4 full.
8.Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.
9.Cool cupcakes, frost (recipe follows) then top with crumb topping

Brown Sugar Frosting:
1/2 C butter
1 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C milk
2 C sifted confectioners' sugar

Method Of Preparation:
1.In a saucepan, melt butter.
2.Add the brown sugar.
3.Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium low, and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4.Add the milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
5.Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
6.Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar. (I would highly recommend sifting this confectioners' sugar. It's such a pain to sift, but it ensures that the frosting will be extra smooth.)
7.Beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.

Crumb Topping:
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 C butter, melted
2 1/2 C flour

Method Of Preparation:
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and stir with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown, rotate pan once during baking.

kiwi2183's photo
Sun 11/22/09 07:27 PM
I don't see alot of recipes on here, so I've decided to share one of my favorites:

Bite & Kiss Shrimp with Mango Salsa & Sour Cream (Adapted from Chef Joseph Lamarca):
Shrimp:
2lb 4 oz jumbo prawns, peeled and de-veined
3 tbsp Jerk seasoning (recipe follows or I like to use the brand Walkerswood)
2 tsp Bay seasoning
4 tbsp Olive Oil

Method:
Mix the prawns , jerk seasoning, bay seasoning, and oil together and let marinate for one hour.

Pre-heat grill to medium or light the barbeque.

Grill the marinated shrimp in batches for 2 minutes on each side.

To serve place the sour cream mixture in center of a large platter. Arrange the shrimp around the edge of the platter and spoonful the salsa in between the shrimp and on top.

Jerk Seasoning:
6 Spring onions
1-3 scotch bonnet peppers (use 1 if you do no want it extemly hot!!!)
2 tsp allspice berries or 1tsp ground all spice
1tbsp fresh chopped thyme or 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
3 tsp cinnamon
1tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup distilled white malt vinegar
2 tbsp oil

Method:
Place all ingredients in a blender and reduce to a thick paste.

Salsa:
1 red pepper , de-seeded and diced
1 green peper, de-seeded and diced
1 vidalia onion (or other sweet onion), chopped
1 celery stick, diced
1 firm mango, peeled stoned, and diced
1 papya, peeled, and diced

Salsa Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper TT

Method:
Combine all ingredients togther, and combine with dressing.

Sour cream dip:
4 tbsp. sour cream
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp creamed horseradish
1 tsp lemon juice

Method:
Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, and lemon juice togther in a bowl, and then chil until ready to use.

kiwi2183's photo
Sun 11/22/09 07:23 PM
I like my burger with: Sauteed onions, sauteed bell peppers, and swiss cheese toopped with lots of pickles and barbeque sauce :)

kiwi2183's photo
Sun 11/22/09 07:20 PM
Yelena

kiwi2183's photo
Sun 11/22/09 07:12 PM
Although it is still very ealry in the season I think that the Lakers will make it back to the NBA finals, but it will not be easy, they gotta get through these injuries, and get past Denver, and right now in the west Dallas, Phoneix are playing well, and Portland is a team that is making a few surprises...in the east you can't count out Boston and Orlando is stepping up thier game as well.

kiwi2183's photo
Thu 11/19/09 03:26 PM
Fraggle Rock