Community > Posts By > darthwiz

darthwiz's photo
Sun 08/29/10 01:17 PM
I've been somehow "orbiting" around this topic for a few days, feeling like I wanted to say something, but didn't really know what.

It's neither that I don't believe in love (because I do), nor that I've never been in love (because I have).

The way I see it, it's a question of potential energy.

People "in the know" usually speak about "falling in love", and I find it an appropriate metaphor because in order to be able to *fall*, you first have to be in some kind of high place - then, gravity will do its job of converting potential energy into kinetic energy.

As for me, I fell in love once, hit the ground, and then stayed on the ground. There can be no more "falling" for me because I don't have any potential energy at the moment.

The sad part about being on the ground and not knowing how to reach a higher place is that I now know who I am much better than I did in the past. Usually people would suggest me to cheer up, go out and all that sort of things, and for a while I would believe them, I would try, and I would fail - but the brief hope of believing to be somebody else would allow me to climb onto the ledge and jump (and crash).

Knowing who I am makes things a lot more difficult, because I know I want to love someone without falling. I guess I should keep my eyes open for partners who are "fallen" like me, but telling the sane from the psychopaths is pretty hard work.

darthwiz's photo
Sun 08/29/10 08:13 AM
After "seeing" each other for 10 months, if he was romantically inclined Im sure he would have let you know by now.

You clearly never met a guy like me (or ever noticed he was interested).

darthwiz's photo
Sun 08/29/10 08:09 AM
I can endure an awful lot of things, so smoke is no big deal.

But.

I'm ok with smoke as long as she's ok seeing me turn into a monster: I'm allergic to smoke (and to air pollution) and my face turns red almost instantly in the presence of cigarette smoke in enclosed spaces. Even happens outside if I'm close.

That's why I don't usually date smokers a second time.

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/28/10 11:52 AM
Looks come first, but for me it's just a question of getting used to a new face: I don't have any aesthetical mold I want women to fit, luckily for both.

I do have, though, pretty tight standards about intellectual depth: "outgoing, easy-going and fun-loving" just won't cut it. They're nice extras (in small doses) but what I really want is depth and passion.

I'm a honest person and I offer both depth and passion about the things I care for - my passion for another individual is hard to earn, but once earned it's there to stay.

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/28/10 10:04 AM
Nope. IPv6 is enabled by default in Ubuntu 10.04. Mainly for whatever security reasons Canonical decide to annoy people with next - silly choice if you ask me but that's Canonical for ya. :D
Yeah, I tried changing the WiFi channel, that's about all I can do with it and still no difference.

I guess IPv6 is enabled by default because it's the future and Ubuntu might as well be ready for it - just like both Windows and Mac OS are.

By the way, I'm currently using it and it's cool being able to access all my home computers from everywhere even if they're behind a router: with IPv4 it's much harder (and of course more secure, but when you *do* need remote access it's a major PITA).

Besides, 60 ms ping time doesn't seem that bad to me.

darthwiz's photo
Wed 08/25/10 06:40 PM
Let me stand as the introverts' advocate here (I just so love the lost causes):

introversion is not equal to shyness.

Granted, shy people are more frequent among introverts, and introverts are a mostly misunderstood minority (many introverts even mistake themselves as shy), but truth be told, all combinations are possible.

There are shy extroverts (if you think hard enough, I'd bet you'd be able to find an acquaintance who's easy going yet scared to reveal their feelings), and there are bold introverts - yours truly being one of them when he cares enough.

I'm stressing the point because I used to be shy because most people would read my introversion as shyness and I'd trust their judgment... but now I know better.

We introverts are at a disadvantage in a world tailored for extroverts, but we do have our strengths stemming from our very nature: we think deep, we're precise, we're good listeners (which means we get in contact with a lot of information) and we're usually not eager for power or attention - all of this makes us good for society as a whole.

Still sure you hate being an introvert? What's not great about who we are?

darthwiz's photo
Tue 08/24/10 04:21 PM
Being funny IS the answer. Seriousness is a disease that makes people cranky and unlovable.

Being funny is the answer for people who like "funny". Not all do, especially when "funny" equals "repeating the same old stupid jokes over and over".

darthwiz's photo
Tue 08/24/10 01:23 PM
Regarding online dating, I tend to agree that it's more difficult to meet and connect because the concept is so intangible.

For me it's just about the opposite: in the "physical world" I have a real hard time revealing myself.

2 days in M2, on the other hand, and I've already made a special friendship.

I guess I have a handicap in the "physical world" though: being an Italian and living in Italy, I'm pretty much limited to speaking Italian... thus, no Italian woman can know how sexy I am when I speak English. bigsmile

darthwiz's photo
Tue 08/24/10 09:59 AM

Long, long ago I used debian on the desktop. It came on a huge number of CDs, installation/setup was a pain in the ***, but when it was all done it happened that I selected 5 different window managers to choose from on a whim.

In recent years, I've been installing from liveCDs, mostly from Ubuntu-derived distros. Sometimes I'll multi-boot and have different distros, with different window managers, on different partitions. This is so easy to dobut I have yet to successfully install and configure a second window manager, running on the same partition such that I can switch back and forth on the fly. I mean - mostly on the fly. I understanding shutting down many windowmanager specific services might be necessary.

For example, I want to be able to log out of gnome and switch to XFCE without rebooting my machine.

Has anyone done this using an Ubuntu-derived distro? Or any distro aside from debian?

I haven't been doing it lately because Gnome and Metacity fit my needs nicely, but it should still be possible, even on different levels. You could for example start a new session with just the window manager and no desktop environment (or even without any window manager at all and start one later manually). I think all you have to do is install the packages, and then you should be able to choose which window manager to start at the login screen. Or you could do all sorts of manual tweaking as well: in the good old days I would not even start the GUI on boot, and launch it later manually if I'd needed it. Those times are long gone though, and I got lazy. bigsmile

darthwiz's photo
Mon 08/23/10 12:00 PM
And then just when you've given up all hope, he comes charging along on his white horse. :heart:

... and runs you over. :laughing:

darthwiz's photo
Mon 08/23/10 10:23 AM
um trust me I DONT, dont get me wrong, i meet guys at the store and beach too. It doesnt stop them from being gas-turds though. If ur not down for one night stand these days or first date sex- then the relationship is over. im all about compatibility too but if your personality sucks and you tell me you are so funny, hahaha, and you arent then we are not compatible, so who cares if we are compatible on the kitchen counter, er I mean the bed. i came here to see if actually talking to a guy might work- - - -alien territory for god's sakes.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who knows her ropes used to say: "it's always the best ones who never get laid."

I think she's right, as I know a thing or two about being one of the best ones. bigsmile

darthwiz's photo
Mon 08/23/10 10:07 AM
I hate that introverted side of myself. (...) I must be a crazy old fashion liberal who prefers honesty. I gotta stop that!

And be a a hypocrite and a moron instead? Puh-leeze.

You can't change your introverted nature no matter how hard you try (or if you try, good luck with that), so

- first, don't hate it
- second, learn to love it.

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just speaking out my mind and being sincere - as you may have read elsewhere, I'm an introvert myself, and a hardcore one at that. It's hard at times, but when people appreciate me, they usually appreciate me for who I am and not for who I pretend to be.

darthwiz's photo
Sun 08/22/10 04:09 PM
Yeah ... me too ... that's why I'm upgrading to a new Mac ... got to in order to be able to continue the software upgrades ... Photoshop CS5 won't run on anything earlier than 'Snow Leopard' ... sooner or later, everything hits 'EOL' ...

... except Linux. bigsmile

Of course new programs won't run on older versions of the operating system, but since all updates are always free, that's really not a big issue.

As a side note, I've been using my second-generation Mac Mini (the first with Intel chips, cheapest model) with Linux for more than two years because it had become unbearably slow with OSX Tiger. Then as I was about to get a MacBook Pro I decided to re-train myself using OSX, so I reinstalled it on the Mini, and was disappointed big time as I found out that in just two years Tiger was *completely* abandoned and not even Google Chrome would run on it.

But!

Being the geek I am, once I got my shiny new MacBook Pro, I used it to install OSX Snow Leopard on the Mini's hard drive (because the installer wouldn't run on the Mini itself), and surprise! it was even faster than Tiger. Still slow, but at least usable and I can run Chrome on it now.

So, thumbs down for Apple for trying to prevent me to install the new operating system on an old machine, and thumbs down again for failing to do so.

darthwiz's photo
Sun 08/22/10 10:50 AM
What about a used Mac? I figure true mac-heads to be pretty inclined to upgrade their hardware often (or then again maybe not: a Mac “just works” for a lot more time than a PC on average), and an iMac from, say, 2 generations ago should still be a pretty good machine (with an awesome screen, and very quiet, and with rock solid software).

For what it's worth, I use Windows, Mac *and* Linux, and each system has its niche which I'll try to briefly summarize

- Windows: cheap, everybody says it's easy to use although it's not that true but everybody knows and uses it anyway, easy to get software because there's tons of it, great to play games (actually I use Windows for gaming only), easy to "break" and to get infected by viruses. I'm talking about software only, though: I know by first hand experience that Dell computers are rock solid. Asus, a bit less. The other two brands are not imported here in Italy.

- Linux: cheaper than Windows, harder to learn, no games, but *all* the software is free of charge and you can do lots of stuff with it, although the advanced stuff is where it really shines. Plus, it's virtually immune to viruses. You can run Linux on any PC, and even on Macs, and that's the beauty of it: you get to decide whether to use it or not, and if you do, it won't (ever) cost you a penny.

- Mac: expensive, but it's like Linux dressed like Windows and it's easier to use than both. The hardware is excellent, and as I said before, Macs are all very quiet: you barely hear them. The Mac is the only machine you can run everything on, that's why most computer geeks like me get one sooner or later. It's decent for gaming too, though PCs are better in that department.

With all 3 systems you can do the "usual stuff" of surfing the net, sending e-mails, writing texts, computing spreadsheets, watching movies, chatting on line... there really is no one better than the other in this department: all have the same capabilities, with more or less pizazz but who cares as long as they get the job done?

darthwiz's photo
Sun 08/22/10 06:49 AM
So, Darth, have you noticed any difference with real introversion and artificial introversion? Or have you experienced both? I experienced the real with growing up and the artificial with the use of mind controlling drugs. When I was in high school my mom had got a call from the school counselor saying that they thought her son, me was on drugs. I had never used drugs at that time. That was the real introversion. Later though while being admitted to detox this guy who I thought was a narcotics agent but really was just a member of A A asked me if I had ever taken mind controlling substances. I tried to be as honest with him as possible without giving my secret identity because we were told as addicts not to narc each other because it was bad karma. That was the artificial introversion. I guess I have had both version.:smile:

I can't really say so... luckily, I guess. I have my good moments and I have my bad moments, but for those I tend to leave the "chemicals" out of the equation, for two (IMO) good reasons:

1. I never quite understood why people drink, smoke or do drugs, well knowing it's bad for the body. I could perhaps understand smoking, if one likes the taste of smoke (I don't, but I won't discuss tastes), so maybe it's killing you slowly, but if you like it, well what the hell, a life without pleasure ain't a life worth living. So I hate smoke, but I'm cool with the idea of smoking.

Drinking 'til you're smashed and doing drugs, that's a different thing though. I don't personally know anyone doing drugs except some dope occasionally, but I know several people who drink heavily. Why on earth would you do that? Do people really *enjoy* feeling sick, throwing up, crawling home and having an explosive headache the morning after? Life may suck at times, but when you're drunk it sucks even more, so what's the point? Note that I'm not criticizing or least of all condemning... I just don't understand and that's why I never got caught in that kind of addiction.

2. The other reason I don't play with my body's chemistry is that, well, my body already does it enough on its own. Sometimes I do feel the need to blast things out of my mind, maybe when I'm caught in a vicious circle of thoughts I can't get out of (happens quite often, alas). In those situations, I actively go seeking an addiction, and I usually have two options: one is working (I'm a bit of a workaholic), the other is playing video games.

Usually working helps me relax and not think about problems I can't solve (y' know, problems involving other people), but when I'm seriously down on morale, only video games really cut it. I usually prefer role-playing games games with a rich back story, so that for some hours I can pretend I'm someone else -- not my poor little insignificant self, but some badass on a mission to save the world or destroy it, both will do. Video games really rock on that department, plus I have the advantage that since they don't alter my chemistry significantly, eventually I get bored and go back living my life, so I don't really risk getting suckered in for too long. Just enough to "reset" my mind when I need it.

So I guess I can only speak about "real" introversion, but I've got tons of that. bigsmile

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/21/10 01:58 PM
Well, I'm about as introverted as you can get and still live on an inhabited planet.

And I wouldn't exactly say I'm "happy" with that, but I can live with it -- my reality is that, of all the relationships I've been in, there isn't a single one I wouldn't delete from my history (and memory) if given the opportunity to do so.

I keep going back to "it's more trouble than it's worth." And it always is.

In the end, yes, I'd love to find someone compatible. I don't think any such person exists. I'm open to the possibility, but doubtful of the likelihood.

And again, I'd rather be alone than be with yet another wrong person.

I think I can agree with your mindset: I find mine to be pretty similar, except for the part where I'd gladly get into another wrong relationship, of course not knowing it in advance.

In other words, I'd gladly live the illusion again, but it's kinda hard, perhaps because my experience taught me well how to spot incompatible people pretty quickly... but still, I'm tired of sitting around and doing nothing but attending just to my survival and not my happiness. I'm glad I'm here so I can talk with new people and gather new ideas: in a way it's better than finding yet another useless date and be gone and back at square one again.

BTW, I just read your profile and found it funny. I too am big on self-irony, but I find it depressing that many small-minded people take self-irony as weakness. It's soooo dull. For what it's worth, reading your profile cracked more than a smile, and I think you're the kind of guy I'd like to hang around with -- no more than once every two months though, because I'm an introvert and that's how much I socialize. bigsmile

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/21/10 12:34 PM
Of course, it could be total disgust at humans in general. Having to deal with their abuses on one another, animals, the planet etc.

Yep, I second that. I totally favor the extinction of the human race as it would be a big gain for the planet, and coherently, I don't plan to reproduce.

Though I don't think that's gonna stop me from trying. bigsmile

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/21/10 11:13 AM
You've come to the right place to find fellow introverts, an internet dating site =)

Hehe, I chose this site because I stumbled upon it by chance and it looked just like how I always fancied a dating site should be: free (i.e. without the "supermarket logic"), fun, and with an open forum where people can discuss whatever they like. Isn't this just brilliant? I think this site is a rare gem, and if it didn't exist already, I would invent it myself just like this.

Being one is not all bad, it's just it takes it's toll in the relationship department. I've been in a few good long-term relationships, but it's my lack of joy and passion that seems to bring them to an end.

Now *this* is interesting and opens a big topic I've been thinking a lot about. “Lack of joy and passion”, you say, but what if we introverts live joy and passion differently? Does it have to always be all cheers and laughs? Or can it also be warm smiles? And what about intellectual passion, doesn't that count a little bit?

I take it that we often are melancholic folks, but what if it's just because most people don't understand us? I for one don't want to be like that just because people see me like that.

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/21/10 10:12 AM
There's a problem with 43% of Americans being single ... ? Why ... ? There's still this li'l thing called 'free will' and 'choice' at work ... for now, that is ...

No one's forcing anything on anyone, but I personally read that as a sign of people living more and more in their shells.

darthwiz's photo
Sat 08/21/10 10:09 AM
Sounds like you might want to talk to a professional about this. I have bipolar disorder and much of what you are saying sounds familiar.

When someone feels depressed they usually want to hide from the world. You made statements like "I have lost touch with all my feelings" and "my soul dwells in utter darkness"...those are red flags to me that require attention from a doctor.

Thanks for the tip, but that part has already been taken care of. bigsmile

I've been in treatment for about 5 years, and I have to admit that my shrink helped me keep my sanity in the tougher times. But lately I also feel we've come at the end of our rope and that she's done everything she could - that's why I'm turning to other people, for other things.

And yes, maybe what I've said might sound a little dramatic, but if you read it in a rational way, darkness is nothing to be feared, per se. And that's what's going on in my skull: I just can't see a thing, but it just feels wrong, not anguishing.