Community > Posts By > chrish

chrish's photo
Fri 05/07/10 11:50 AM
Why not create a database, then just loop through your array inserting the rows, you only need to do it once but it shouldn't take more than three minutes to write...

chrish's photo
Thu 09/24/09 04:30 AM
Safari

Run's 64bit on Snow Leopard and is lightning fast (I've benchmarked Safari, Google Chrome and a couple of Chromium nightlys with the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark).

It was the first browser to get 100% in ACID3 (well, technically the first was Webkit, but thats splitting heirs).

For development I will fire up Firefox, but only to use Firebug.

chrish's photo
Tue 07/28/09 12:01 PM
Just put the file in the same directory as the executable... Or you may need to register it.

If you need to register it:

Copy it into your System32 folder and type (in a command line or the run box):

Regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\zlib-1.2.3.dll"

chrish's photo
Tue 07/28/09 11:58 AM

yeah first it was netscape

First ever web browser was called WorldWideWeb written by Sir Tim Berners-Lee a British chap working in CERN.

chrish's photo
Tue 07/28/09 11:54 AM
With regards to it being illegal or not... Ever heard of the DMCA? Especially the part that criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself.

chrish's photo
Wed 07/08/09 01:24 AM
Why not setup a VPN?
http://openvpn.net/

chrish's photo
Tue 06/23/09 08:17 AM
If you press the power button on your computer, most modern machines will interpret this as a request to power off and shut the machine down cleanly. (It uses ACPI.)

To override this, hold the power button in for ~6 seconds.

As for the HTML stuff (I'm a full time working web developer).

XHTML transitional is to ease the transition from HTML (4.01) to XHTML and should only be used for that, if you're coding from scratch use XHTML Strict.

I've started developing a few projects using HTML5. There are several new elements that can add the the semantic richness of the document quite considerably (<article> <section> <header> <footer> <aside> etc etc).

Support is pretty poor at the moment, but you can make the new elements block level in the CSS (or Javascript for IE6).

One of the exciting feature of HTML 5 is the <video> tag, and a great deal of work has been done to make this backwards compatible with current browsers.

Studying html? I'm sorry for you. I have had a few classes in it. I hate it. Besides no body uses pure html. It is only ever used as nothing more than a container for scripts. Mingle2 is done mostly in php from what I have read.

Ummmm, no.
HTML is the front end to the application that is Mingle2. It is not a container. Try to think of the code that draws the button as HTML and the code that does the work as the application.

chrish's photo
Sun 06/07/09 02:09 PM
Macs are better than PCs for quite a few reasons.

I love linux, but choose to use a Mac for my day job, because when work is involved I just want to get stuff done.

The rubbish about Macs and PCs being the same because they both use X86 cpus is complete rubbish, thats like saying Palm Pilots and Windows mobile devices are the same because they both us an ARM processor, or that a Ferrari and a Honda are the same because they both use an internal combustion engine.

I'm not aware of any PCs that use EFI, I think they still use a BIOS which are over 20 years old now.

The difference is in the OS, although the hardware is better too with Macs. By better I mean of better quality not necessarily in terms of raw power but in terms of reliability and sustained throughput.

It's easy to build a similar specced machine as a Mac for less money, but when you get down to looking at the quality of the capacitors used, uni-body enclosures and the zero dead pixels on the screens the difference is immediately obvious.

Ta,

Chris.

chrish's photo
Tue 05/26/09 02:08 PM

Agree, chrish.

About people entering everything about them on all kinds of websites. I think this is the way it is going to be:

1-People keep more and more of their stuff in the cloud.
2-Someone commits a crime, while having most of his ideas and plans in the cloud.
3-Government makes it their explicit goal to know what's in there, on everyone.

There is no escape. It is already partially true.

It is true, they will also listen to your phone calls, and go through your bins. Governments are abusing our liberties both on and offline, and have been for a while.

chrish's photo
Wed 05/13/09 03:32 PM

I'd like to add that AV can only protect us from what was already identified as malicious code. If we go on some website and click on things, we can get infection that was either very new or custom, and then it doesn't matter, what AV are we running at the moment.

Not entirely true, generally malicious code running on a computer attempts to do similar things (create randomly named files, hook into function calls, connect to IRC channels, scan for email addresses).

Good Antivirus will pick up and stop this kind of activity, even if it doesn't have the viruses signature in it's database.

The majority of viruses are polymorphic now too, so you can't just scan for a header or expected bit of hex in a file.

I think Norton call this technology Bloodhound and F-Secure call it Deepguard.

In my experience, across the thousands of machines I've seen and many viruses, pay for F-Secure.

Ta,

Chris.

chrish's photo
Wed 05/06/09 02:22 AM

(I know, I know. However, neither it is appropriate to start a sentence with "also"...bigsmile I am not ragging on you, bud. It's just the funniest time to make a grammatical correction right over another correction being made! bigsmile )

I wasn't making a correction, I was making a comment. :wink:

T&C for web apps are only relating to what your browser allows out, or what you enter in your profile.

Doesn't make them any less scary, and people rarely read them, which is a problem. It gets worse with cloud computing, when people store their photos, email and documents on websites. Where is the distinction between a website and an application?

T&C for windows are scary, but the "windoze" is quite tamed by a good firewall and a browser.

So, the fact you can shut Windows up with a firewall makes it okay?!?!?

However, if you have an agent browser like Google, you're all at their service!

People have read the source code for Google Chrome (it is open source, remember), and it checks the URLs you visit again the exact same list as Firefox.

It's no better or worse than Firefox with regards to privacy.

I for one, welcome more browsers. Competition can only make browsers better.

You can read the Chrome Ts&Cs here: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_text.html

Especially note the section that says:

10. Content license from you

10.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

The Windows XP Home EULA is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

chrish's photo
Tue 05/05/09 04:53 AM

Hmmm I'm sounding like a Google Fanboy...

I'm not, my main browser is Camino / Safari and I use very few Google Products.

you're beginning to scare me scared

Scare you how?

Also, it's very, very rare to see the correct use of an apostrophe on this site! shades

chrish's photo
Tue 05/05/09 02:48 AM

lol its when i go out with friends,pubs clubs bars....but id rather meet some1 in other circumstances..i joined a gym and im starting college i try to meet people in different ways..x

What type of pubs, clubs and bars are these? Are those mainstream commercial chain pub type places?

Lots of my female friends have a lot of success meeting people at the Gym, and college is a great thing to do for many more reasons.

What course are you doing?

chrish's photo
Tue 05/05/09 02:43 AM
Hmmm I'm sounding like a Google Fanboy...

I'm not, my main browser is Camino / Safari and I use very few Google Products.

chrish's photo
Tue 05/05/09 02:42 AM

The thing that stuck in my craw about Google Chrome was the EULA, which essentially allowed them to look into your computer for stats and other "non-personal" information, which is a fiasco just waiting to happen.

Really? This bothered you?

Ever read the Ts & Cs for Facebook, MySpace, Mingle 2 or Windows?

chrish's photo
Tue 05/05/09 02:40 AM

There was a thread about Chrome before.

It is not a good choice. Well, for an American, anyway. Why?

What Chrome "sees" as an available, existing internet is not what it really is. The google makes a decision on every URL that a chrome user would like to visit. Only if Google allows that url, can the chrome user actually "get there".

Say, you're looking for something that Google doesn't approve. Like a crack... The web site will be there only as long as Google let's it to be browsable by the chrome.

Or, let us say you're looking us something that isn't what the government wants you to read about... It won't be there.

And this is a feature that a user can not "turn off".

So, good luck sleeping with big brother.

Wow, what a load of BS!
If you read FUD, please check your sources. This is NOT the case!

Google Chrome checks a list of URLs that are considered bad (Phishing / Malware sites).

Guess what.... So does Firefox.

Guess which list Firefox checks.... The list managed by Google.

Please DO NOT believe everything you read.

Ta,

Chris.

chrish's photo
Thu 04/30/09 10:51 AM
Why are you zeroing your disks?

The 648 MB disk should have a memtest kernel, try booting that and letting it run, also trying re-downloading the ISOs.

Are you trying to dual-boot?

Do you have a router?

Have you tried installing with only on disk connected?

Ta,

Chris.

chrish's photo
Thu 04/30/09 10:27 AM

Do we have to remind each other, that this forum is reserved for computers and technology? Macs do not fit in either category.bigsmile

Only two kinds of computer users: Mac users ... and those who wish they were ... bigsmile :tongue:

Only 10 of computer users: Mac users ... and those who wish they were.

Fixed that for you.

chrish's photo
Thu 04/30/09 10:22 AM
I just bought a pair of Etymotic HF2's and I have to say I'm mighty impressed.

I've owned some Shure EC2's and Sennheiser MX 95's.

Errrrrr, not going anywhere with this, that's all folks.

chrish's photo
Thu 04/30/09 10:19 AM
Hey,

I'm not from Port Talbot, but sometimes I can see it across the Bristol Channel, does that count?

If you want to chat let me know, I'll grab a blanket and light a fire.

Ta,

Chris.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16