Community > Posts By > ViaMusica

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:51 PM

Where did it go?

Was it wearing sockses?

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:49 PM

Since the topic of depression is linked by Msharmony to "individualism" and "freedom" these things too have to be addressed.

If you don't understand what she means by "freedom" and "individualism" then you can't possibly understand her point or agree with any of her conclusions.

freedom and individualism both have a scale,,,there is no absolute

its kind of like pregnant,, a pregnant woman is a pregnant woman,, but the one who is one week pregnant is not AS pregnant as the one who is 9 months

that being said,, the MORE freedoms individuals in a culture are given, the fewer BOUNDARIES/LAWS/EXPECTATIONS are present,,,,, for them

, according to the article, the more prevalent DEPRESSION will be found amongst those individuals

the more INDIVIDUALISTIC one is , that is to say, the more one feels that they are the sole concern of their universe and not obligated towards any collective, any group, any authority,,,,,,the more likely they will be (when faced with reality perhaps?) to become discouraged/disappointed/ depressed,,,,,

Okay, now we're getting to kind of the same page...

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:47 PM
*backs away slowly, throwing chocolate* laugh

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:43 PM
Edited by ViaMusica on Tue 06/25/13 05:46 PM

the article itself was referring to CULTURAL trend in terms of cultures which center more around the 'me' and cultures which center around the 'us

and how depression appears to be more prevalent
in the latter than the former

Actually, the article said the OPPOSITE of that. It said that ME-centered individualistic cultures have MORE depression than WE-centered collectivist cultures, despite the relative prevalence of genetic markers for depression in the people who populate those the second group.

In other words, the article posits that something in the "WE" cultures offsets the negative effects of that genetic predisposition to depression, since there is less depression that manifests among those peoples.

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:41 PM

true journey i think am the only sane one here lolz

Well, not quite... I have those days... laugh

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:40 PM

Ok..lol...Geez-us. No offense. But I'm NOT GAY..lol. I'm looking for a WOMAN. sheesh. The guy in the picture over my shoulder is just an old friend and we were at lucnch. christ, I get hit on by a guy,and no women..lol FML..hahah

slaphead

Hmm; I suspect you don't know what the term wing man means if you think a guy is hitting on you. laugh

rofl rofl rofl

Bunch of nutters

:laughing:

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:36 PM

Being that depression is a health issue, the topic fits this forum.

It does if we return to talking about depression. We've been getting a bit of-topic and straying dangerously close to social philosophy. I thought I'd made that clear a couple of posts ago... spock

The link between depression and a lack of a support group may fit a type of depression that is psychological in origin, but the link does not necessarily fit a type of depression that is organic in origin.

Thing is, they're intertwined, and the point of the article is that having a support structure seems to overcome the organic predisposition to depression that can result from the short allele. In other words, it has a compensatory effect that offsets genetics.

Sure, if a person purposefully isolates himself/herself from other people, then that person may become more susceptible to depression.

Purposeful self-isolation is usually the result, rather than the cause, of depression. Of course, it then often forms a feedback loop.

However, a person can seek to maximize personal freedom without purposefully becoming isolated from other people.

*sigh* And now we're back to "how do you define 'freedom'?" whoa

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:29 PM
I'm a whole person on my own, outside of a relationship, and I'm perfectly capable of enjoying my life as a single person.

But I am even happier when I am in a good relationship. Having someone to share life with is a blessing, and one I crave. So I guess that means I'm happier in a relationship than alone, as long as the relationship is a healthy one.

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:22 PM
I get told I look young for my age... I don't know. Some days I see it, and some days I don't.

I don't feel my age... most of the time. tongue2

I don't ACT my age... :laughing:

Meh. It's a number. Who cares? winking

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 05:15 PM
It's raining... it's POURING.... surprised

Got thunder and lighting, too.

I love a good thunderstorm!laugh

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 04:28 PM
Boom...

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 04:27 PM
Tangible

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 04:26 PM
Yes.

Have you ever received a handmade gift from a friend?

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 04:26 PM
but they can get you out of a jam

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 04:25 PM
Yellow

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 04:24 PM
Yes.

Have you ever tiptoed through the tulips?

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 03:24 PM
Yep, I have that with some posters too. Mostly with topherj37, Oldhippie, 4Evababy and oldsage.

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 03:17 PM

Accelerate

The game goes alphabetically, so the next word should begin with X. Want to give that a try?

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 03:15 PM
All the time. Of course, who it is varies.

Have you ever eaten an all-day sucker in half a day?

ViaMusica's photo
Tue 06/25/13 02:47 PM
Yeah, I had my own forum site for a couple of years too, but most of us just moved over to Facebook after a while. Thing is, we'd all come from one of the BIG sites, and that's where I got my start as a mod. None of us go there anymore because someone decided to fix what wasn't broken, if you get my drift.

Too bad, really... but it brought a bunch of us together and we've stayed in touch over the years. Some of us even visit each other in person from time to time, so it's all good!

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next