Community > Posts By > joad

joad's photo
Sun 03/21/10 03:46 PM
I want to come back as Sophia Loren's bra.

Woody Allen

joad's photo
Tue 12/22/09 03:18 PM
Edited by joad on Tue 12/22/09 03:23 PM
Sorry for straying Mod and OP.

I take it that some have concluded that evidence has no independent existence without a relationship to something else. I would point out that, in my mind, nothing has an independent existence without relationship to something else. Existence itself would have no meaning for us if we had no concept of nothingness.

However, I don't believe that a *conscious* relationship need be made. I believe that our brains are constantly using the self-evident nature of what we perceive to identify things as what the are in themselves, at a level somewhere below conscious thought.

joad's photo
Tue 12/22/09 02:32 PM

Joad:
99.999% or 5%?. Even trying to determine to what degree we understand our universe strikes me as a fool's errand, for the reason stated in your first paragraph.

I think the only measure we can ever have is the number of questions we've answered vs. the number of questions we've asked. Even at 100% we would still have no measure of our degree of understanding. And of course new questions arise every day.

It's quite simple. If you have a 5% of the puzzle pieces on the board can you tell if you're looking at a picture of puppies or if it's flowers? Maybe but you could very easily be mistaken. If you have 99% of the pieces places and the puzzle looks like puppies do you think you will reasonably find out later that it was actually a donkey-pinata?

It's all about recognizing what way is reasonable to count.

I understand your point. I'm not sure you understand mine, which is that I think attempting to count is unreasonable in itself. I don't see puppies on my board,(though there is one in the living room). Nothing appears on my puzzle but vague shapes without images.

Oddly, whether it it be delusional or not, It's only from a spiritual perspective that all questions seem answered.

joad's photo
Tue 12/22/09 06:35 AM
Edited by joad on Tue 12/22/09 06:37 AM

Shoku wrote:

As I've said (and apparently been ignored,) we know something like 99.999% of how our universe works.

You'd have a hard time supporting a number like that since it's impossible to know how much we don't yet know. ohwell

Have you not even been paying attention to modern science? It's recently been proposed and supported by observations that everything we know about this universe is less than 5% of what the universe is actually made of.

So where do you come up with your 99.999%?

It's more like, all scientific knowledge put together represents less than 5% of what the universe is actually made of. And we don't even understand that 5% very well.

So as far as I can see there's over 95% of the universe that we don't yet know or understand at all.

So I guess we differ in our views quite dramatically then. flowerforyou

99.999% or 5%?. Even trying to determine to what degree we understand our universe strikes me as a fool's errand, for the reason stated in your first paragraph.

I think the only measure we can ever have is the number of questions we've answered vs. the number of questions we've asked. Even at 100% we would still have no measure of our degree of understanding. And of course new questions arise every day.

joad's photo
Sat 12/19/09 05:47 PM
Not trying to be cryptic here, but for a portion of my life it seemed important to me to find my purpose. Something changed, and I realized I had been fulfilling it all along.

joad's photo
Thu 12/17/09 06:10 PM

Amoda Maa Jeevans wrote "It is precisely our wanting things to be different that creates our suffering. It is not the hardship, discomfort, or pain itself that cause us to suffer (although it appears to be) but the resistance to fully experiencing it."

I think many believe that the Buddhist concept of desire being the root of all suffering translate desire as the desire to obtain something that one does not have. I've found that in my life, more suffering has been brought about by the desire to avoid something, be it pain, truth, embarrassment, others.

joad's photo
Tue 12/15/09 03:00 PM

joad's photo
Sat 05/23/09 03:32 PM

What is the point of being??? Is it simply to live breed and die???

Some would say that that question is the point.

A ha! I think that might be pretty darn close to a viable answer! happy

Not my original idea, of course, and it certainly can't be proven. Still, something about it strikes me as meaningful. Kinda self centered though.

joad's photo
Sat 05/23/09 03:23 PM
My preference is for the ones that spread themselves over philosophy, psychology, and theology. Paul Tillich and William James are a couple of favorites.

joad's photo
Sat 05/23/09 03:14 PM
This is one of those questions that can lead to another - "Is anything real, including me," which, as you say, was explored in "The Matrix." As I understand it, Hindu thought would answer "No."

A guy named Alan Turing spent a lot of time considering your question relative to artificial intelligence before the advent of the computer. I've always found the implications of his work fascinating, although the mathematics escape me.

joad's photo
Sat 05/23/09 02:58 PM

What is the point of being??? Is it simply to live breed and die???

Some would say that that question is the point.

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 09:26 PM
Edited by joad on Tue 04/21/09 09:27 PM
over split biscuits with grits, cantaloupe, sliced summer tomatoes and hot black coffee for me please

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 09:00 PM

you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friend's nose.

ah... thats the one!
but... you CAN pick your kid's nose... sometimes ya just gotta!
(eewwwww! :smile: )
I was w my friend and her 3 year old son one day. his face was snot-gooey and she was fretting because she had no tissue. I swabbed his face with my shirt tail. she was quite impressed. it was a sort of gross sir francis drake moment.

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 08:06 PM
you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friend's nose.

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 05:08 PM
good luck nice nurse : )

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 04:29 PM

Doken was told to go on a long journey to another
monastery. He was much upset, because he felt that this trip would
interrupt his studies for many months. So he said to his friend,
the advanced student Sogen:

"Please ask permission to come with me on the trip. There are so
many things I do not know; but if you come along we can discuss
them - in this way I can learn as we travel."

"All right," said Sogen. "But let me ask you a question: If you
are hungry, what satisfaction to you if I eat rice? If your feet
are lame, what comfort to you if I go on merrily? If your bladder
is full, what relief to you if I piss?"

I like the way this koan reminds me that spiritual pursuits have much more to do with direct experience than with the accumulation of knowledge. Wonder why I have trouble remembering this?

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 10:08 AM

Doken was told to go on a long journey to another
monastery. He was much upset, because he felt that this trip would
interrupt his studies for many months. So he said to his friend,
the advanced student Sogen:

"Please ask permission to come with me on the trip. There are so
many things I do not know; but if you come along we can discuss
them - in this way I can learn as we travel."

"All right," said Sogen. "But let me ask you a question: If you
are hungry, what satisfaction to you if I eat rice? If your feet
are lame, what comfort to you if I go on merrily? If your bladder
is full, what relief to you if I piss?"

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 08:48 AM
Edited by joad on Tue 04/21/09 08:49 AM

I applied this to teachers and politicians. Now I have been applying it to my dates, man does it ever thin the herd. LMAO

Ha! Pity you no longer care for the Church. You could just get it over with and move into a nunnery!

joad's photo
Tue 04/21/09 08:44 AM

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. Buddha

“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” Dali Lama

joad's photo
Mon 04/20/09 05:06 PM

Well, unless you are a monk, you have some sort of possessions, that said. do you attach to them? So in a sense you do "have" but if it is lost or stolen, you release it.

However the point I was trying to make is that through observing human nature and the consequences of certain actions, philosophical or religious tenets as you call them may have been developed. But these cause and effects existed outside of these structures. So, then are they "RULES" or merely the nature of the beast, in this case human.

I don't consider them rules. I think the notion of rules comes in when you have a divine presence that says if you do these thing you will get in trouble, I won't love you, you are bad bad bad etc...

I left the christian church because of this. I believe that I am responsible for my own actions and if I do things that I feel are outside of my intuitive or viseral sense of what is good/right/fair/just/cool however you choose to name it, I will suffer.

That said, we know there are people that have no morality, or rather don't adhere to our same sense of right and wrong, or at least they appear not to on the surface. I have a feeling that, that is a mask for them, that on an unconscious level they still are holding themselves responsible, they may punish themselves by continuing to be involved in behavior that causes them physical, emotional and spiritual harm. Addiction, low self-esteem, legal problems, cronic pain etc...

As far as my studies have lead me there is no end to this, in fact as soon as you say to yourself I have mastered this or that attachment or desire, it will appear in some other way or worst yet a new version of something you already feel you dealt with before.

I also think that one can become as you said attached to the idea of getting it all at once. These are the people that have the hollier than thou attitude. They try to shelter themselves from anyone that doesn't adhere to their tenets, they think that they can protect themselves and or not be a part of all the evil around them. They are dealing with heavy fear karma, they actually don't trust themselves. In fact they attach to some false moral rightousness. Denying oneself a desire is not the same as facing it and actively being conscious of what it will cost.

In fact, what you are speaking of here is much closer to my personal idea of what karma is. My sense is that when one acts improperly, the effect is immediate. One has harmed themselves in addition to whatever harm is released into the world. The accumulative effect of these improper acts can manifest itself in a miserable existence in this life, without even being concerned over a next one.

I also agree that the tendency of people to agree with and adopt the identity of a group in order to feel more secure in a world with so many differing opinions can lead to problems too. I think the us/them split has led to far more suffering than the yours/mine split over property.

None of this answers the question "Where do moral truths or ethics come from?" my idea is that we carry them within us and that the proper role of the various traditions is to help lead us to a point where we are able to discover the absolute truth of them in ourselves. I think that it's difficult for any organization to keep an intention like that "pure" without corruption creeping in if for no other reason than plain old human nature.

Hmm. Feel like I'm starting to ramble, so I'll stop here. Thanks for listening.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6