Tue 12/20/22 12:48 PM

I like turtles.

Moi aussi.

stan_147's photo
Sat 12/10/22 05:52 PM
Time’s measure rusts as it crawls

stan_147's photo
Fri 12/09/22 10:00 PM
Wait Dust, are you suggesting that politicians should be held accountable for lies told?

stan_147's photo
Fri 12/09/22 08:44 PM
I’m curious about Pillar 43 at Gobekli Tepe.

stan_147's photo
Fri 12/09/22 08:33 PM
Do you mean that some of us should just simply agree to disagree?

stan_147's photo
Fri 12/09/22 07:55 PM
I don’t think I can remember that far back! frustrated rofl

stan_147's photo
Wed 12/07/22 10:50 PM

But it does help if the OP gives a link and a bit more about the story.. in order to form an opinion.

Moderator,
Isn't the businessinsider news article you gave a link to, sufficient for you to say whether you agree with the web designer's argument or not?

First of all I'm not a Mod which I have explained to you more then once..

And I never said it was not enough for me to determine an opinion. Since I'm the one that posted the link. In order for others to figure out what you were even talking about.It is in the Rules that the OP should provide links (proof) of what their thread pertains too.

I said it explains why I can see there is a possibility that the couple in fact even went to her for their design cause they knew she would refuse them just so they could sue her..

And I very clearly posted that~~so not sure what your question is here!

It would be more on Religious discrimination actually all based on the Web Designers Religion.. Which in fact is an argument that the Web Designer can use. Due to the fact she even posted on her Website

""Smith highlights her faith on her website and emphasizes that she avoids communicating messages that are "inconsistent with her religious beliefs."""

Everyone has the right to their beliefs within their religion, that is guaranteed by the First Amendment.

As I said why would a gay couple go to her, knowing that within her Religion she does not acknowledge same sex marriages??

Same alternate idea that I was about to post. But you said it well, without fluff. Bravo!

Just a little background:

1A:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

stan_147's photo
Wed 12/07/22 10:32 PM
I don’t think you really want to know. Once seen, cannot be unseen.

stan_147's photo
Wed 12/07/22 09:23 PM
That the distractions outweigh the elephant.

stan_147's photo
Tue 12/06/22 07:37 PM
It hasn’t in 38 years. Regardless of whatever law, I simply cannot be forced to accept terms of any contract. Perhaps you should look at what goes into a contract, and what specifically lawyers put into these things.

Contracted services are way different than retail sales, the key being the negotiated terms of the contract. Until it’s signed by both parties, it doesn’t legally exist. Just walking into my office doesn’t immediately grant you access to my skills and equipment. BOTH parties have to agree, by signing whatever is written in the document. Being told that the company is not interested in the project is NOT discriminatory.

I’d have been sued thousands of times if that were true.

And I don’t have to explain why, to anyone. I could be overbooked or ready to go on vacation or any other reason. No explanation needed or given.

Just because you don’t understand how this type of business is conducted and there is a shiny new law, does not negate the rights of independent businesses or their owners.

Contract law is a very specific thing.

If the web designer signed a contract and so did the plaintiffs, they are both bound legally to the terms MUTUALLY agreed upon.

Simply put, no signatures = no contract.

stan_147's photo
Tue 12/06/22 07:13 PM
So what you’re telling me is I have to accept all jobs, from anyone, regardless of whether or not I accept the terms of the contract?

Lol.

I wonder if the satanist that I threw out of my office will sue me now. I didn’t agree with the terms he required and would not proceed with the contract. Told him I wasn’t interested in his project and suggested he try another shop. It wasn’t based on any of the items you listed, but solely on whether or not I wanted that job.

Then there were some Nazi types, whom I also told I wasn’t interested. Also suggesting they try another shop.

Maybe I should call my attorney just in case.

Lol

stan_147's photo
Tue 12/06/22 12:07 PM
Edited by stan_147 on Tue 12/06/22 12:09 PM
Edit: double post

stan_147's photo
Tue 12/06/22 12:07 PM

It's discrimination. If you're going to open a business you need to educate yourself on federal, state and local laws.

Like the 1st Amendment? 7 rights in that one alone.

Let me ask a question. Would you be alright with it, if a government authority forced you to do something that violates your own beliefs? Whatever those may be?

Business owners should have the right to refuse service for any reason.

What if the client wanted them to promote genocide? How about indentured servitude? Racism against any group? All of those are appalling, right?

In my office is a sign stating “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.” It’s my business and I have the ability and right to say NO. I don’t have to accept all people with whatever ideas, who walk through my door. It’s also called discretion and/or discernment.

Creative Service businesses do not sell a physical product like retail does. We create IP, which involves a contract. A mutual agreement to provide services for compensation. If one side breeches the contract, it becomes void, and one or the other party can try to litigate. If we cannot negotiate the terms of the contract to be mutual, then there is no agreement and neither party can sue. It’s that whole signature part at the end.

IMO this case should have never gone all the way up to SCOTUS. As there was obviously no mutual agreement in place. Just hurt feelings of a protected victim class vying for recognition of leveraging a new law. Why couldn’t they find another web designer that didn’t have a problem with their content? Is the creative person the only one in Colorado that does this type of work? Not hardly. But being rational does not make controversy or headlines.

stan_147's photo
Mon 12/05/22 03:39 PM
Edited by stan_147 on Mon 12/05/22 03:41 PM

Three terms? What happened to the 22nd Amendment?

Warning: this statement may cause some people to become nauseous.. read only in your safe space…
Amendments? Democrats think amendments are for everybody else, and that they are above any rule of law when it comes to putting brakes on their agenda of total power over the people…sooner or later the truth about their election corruption to elect Joe will come crashing down on them…

Never thought about a disclaimer, Bart.rofl

Edit:
Or is it a ‘trigger warning’? rofl

stan_147's photo
Sat 12/03/22 10:13 PM
Three terms? What happened to the 22nd Amendment?

stan_147's photo
Sat 12/03/22 10:43 AM
“Say hello to the rug's topography.
It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it.
Say hello to the shrinking in your head.
You can't see it, but you know it's there, so don't neglect it.

I'm taking her home with me, all dressed in white.
She's got everything I need - pharmacy keys.
She's falling hard for me; I can see it in her eyes.
She acts just like a nurse with all the other guys.”

from The Nurse Who Loved Me, A Perfect Circle

stan_147's photo
Thu 12/01/22 02:26 PM
The sleeper has awakened.

stan_147's photo
Wed 11/30/22 11:45 PM
I’m trying to care. No, really. I am trying.

Not working. So many scandals, so little time. All things come to an end.

stan_147's photo
Sat 11/26/22 04:39 PM
Starting to snowball. LE sigh.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25