Community > Posts By > Cher38

no photo
Mon 01/12/15 05:59 PM

Blondey, found this interesting article on the views of the catholic church on divorce. The short of it is that under "special circumstances" a divorce is not a sin, but to remarry, a special annulment has to be dispensed:

http://www.cdop.org/pages/AOfficeFamilyFAQDivorce.aspx

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on catholicism by any means.

Other religions have similar or even tighter restrictions.

In my mind, the biggest confusion is with fundamentalist christian religions, which consider divorce as a sin, just like stealing, murder and so on. It can be forgiven if you confess and repent, but to me, repentance means you intend to make things right, renouncing what you did... so, does this mean going back to your marriage? Makes no sense to me. That's exactly what my ex believes actually.

great article .. Thanks mini .. So the Catholic Church atleast acknowledges there are concessions when a divorce is justified but they retain the power to annul the sacred bonds of marriage .. On behalf of god Of course .. The power to allow someone to remarry or not lies with the church .

Yup, for catholics it seems to be. I'm actually really curious to see if someone catholic on here can comment. I've studies a number of religions in my life, but I'll be honest and say that unless you actually practice, some of the information can be a bit confusing.

As far as fundamentalist christian religions, I do have some experience. Here's another article that explains the baptist view (one of the largest fundamentalist religions out there):
http://www.firstbaptistchurchclifton.org/Doctrinal%20Issues%20Page/Divorce.htm

It too basically leaves the interpretation to the church. But really, all church doctrine is interpretation of text written a long time ago by people of a very different culture than ours in many ways. I find it interesting that scholars in every christian religion can pore over the same text for generations and come to different interpretations. To me, that just means nobody really knows.

no photo
Mon 01/12/15 05:52 PM

Agreeing with Mini, all religion are different to a certain degree.
Far as I can see, only thing in common with all is you either believe or you don't. If the differences are there then no one can know which is the "right or "wrong". And yes I am a Christian.
Thanks . :)

no photo
Fri 11/28/14 07:28 PM
Hi to everyone, thanks for all the replies. Appreciate them.
Been on here a little longer now, so I get what you were all
saying. Never did this before, so a little na�ve at it. However I did enjoy the posts you all sent. The serious ones, helping. And even a couple humerous ones. Have to have humor. And,just so you know I never responded to those "babies" I shall call them. lol The 20's and 30"s. AS I found out it's widespread and just delete.
Thanks again all !

no photo
Fri 11/28/14 06:18 PM
Mendy2, I am so very sorry for your loss. And for your family, losing a loved one, is so extremely painful,and if it's your own child so much more agonizing. And contributing to that, with suicide many times don't know why it happened. Making it so much worse.We end up feeling guilty, I have my own story which made me want to write this,but putting it a little farther down the forum. Right now,it is more important for you and your family to get counseling, There are many kinds and places. Churches,social workers, ask around , Doctors. look on internet. Hospice social workers, they are so great, so unselfish with their time. It doesn't matter who or even what you believe, There is a place or person who will help you with your grief and sadness,and not knowing what to do,sometimes even minute to minute. It won't go away over night, but it will help you more & more understand how to deal. And most of all don't listen to people who tell you all the negative things. They will tell you all the reasons people do it. Don't listen. Walk away. They aren't in your shoes,or your Brothers shoes. They will make you feel worse. There is no judgement here. A true friend will listen, let you pour your heart out, help in anyway you may need, all with their arms around, holding you tight with heartfelt love. Also, you can check for local grief support groups. For some people support groups work better. I hope your family heals with togetherness. Sending prayers for your entire family.

no photo
Thu 10/30/14 09:37 PM

Same here. You get a few your age group, by the time you look again, they're usually gone. LOL

no photo
Thu 10/30/14 09:30 PM
Same here. You get a few your age group, by the time you look again, they're usually gone. LOL

no photo
Thu 10/30/14 09:12 PM
Edited by Cher38 on Thu 10/30/14 09:38 PM
@djgibson62
I know exactly what you mean, and as a female. I'm 76, Young for my age as for being healthy,active, etc. Widowed, and can not believe the
posts from guys in their 30's and 40's, even 20's. Lets get real here. 5 or 10 years, maybe. 30 or 40 years ? No way. They want something or just being funny, and most of us probably didn't come here just to hear somebody say something they thought as "a laugh"
And why the ones that live 2,000 or 3,000 miles away? Chances of that working? (Maybe some) ) Personally don't need to ask for anything, money wise, and not intending to give any. Would be nice to have some one close to same age, just like to meet another nice, decent percent to start. And then never know what can happen. But at very least you might make nice friend. Think I'm just feeling discouraged. Oh well, good luck to everybody. And I have had a few good laughs, while reading some of your posts. Some are humerous, and uplifting, we all need that sometimes. :smile:

no photo
Wed 10/22/14 04:45 AM
Thanks Mikey for reply. Oh yea careful is the word. And I'm a big skeptic
anyway. Scammer is probably the word, no 20 or 30 year old is looking to hook up with a 76. I'trying my own age group. This is my first try at this, and finding it a little discouraging. Thanks for reply.

no photo
Wed 10/22/14 04:14 AM
I'm sure this has happened to others. I know anyone can view me.
But ones that want actually to meet, match, etc. I don't understand. I am 76, but the ones that want actual contact, are in 20's and 30's.
Makes no sense, they know from my profile. Fewer years may be no big deal, like 5 or even 10. But 40 or 50 years is wayyyyy off, and very strange. Thanks for listening.

no photo
Mon 10/20/14 03:26 AM
I appologize if in wrong forum. I can not find what it will cost me to upgrade, I think joining is free, but need to know cost of belonging. Can someone help so I can procede without worry. Thanks so much. what

no photo
Sat 10/18/14 12:25 PM
Not understanding one thing. I am a senior citizen, 76, although in good health and would love to meet gentlemen in my appropriate age group. To be friends with, enjoy doing things with, etc. I am getting mostly men in ages 20's and 30's. Maybe there are more younger people out there, than my age group, but I'ts not working out
age wise. Why do these come through. I can accept maybe there's not as many older people but this shouldn't happen. Isn't that why
we have a profile and make our preferences? I do enjoy looking and being a member, otherwise. Thanks for any answers.