no photo
Sun 05/10/09 10:02 PM
Edited by blueberrypancakes on Sun 05/10/09 10:04 PM

MS, im not going to find a church, i think i have made it pretty obvious what i think about Christianity. I was just highlighting the fact that religion to many it is very dull. This is my experience of church in the UK at least.

If i was to though, black gospel all the way!

Hey, I'm sorry that your experience of church wasn't a good one.
But, I cannot help but ask what it is you're looking for?
A few ideas come to mind, but as I write them, please know that I am not claiming that they are yours...
Maybe this is just a surface argument (as childish as it sounds) to a deeper longing to connect with God. Just as our physical body hungers for food/water, our mind hungers after knowledge, heart longs for love/acceptance, so, too, does our soul hunger after something that only one thing can quench it's craving. Only, that something is Someone--God. Maybe you go to church after church longing to connect, but are so basing this search on how it is presented to you behind a pulpit that, being disappointed, are turned away to skepticism or mockery towards Christianity. God doesn't just hear us in the walls of a church; He doesn't only speak to us as we sit before a pastor. The crux of the matter is, do you really want to find what your soul's longing for? C.C. Lewis once stated that, “If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair”. Do you feel that there's something in you that is grasping for some sort of connection with God, and that by going to church you'll feel spiritual?
Maybe you’re expecting to be entertained. You’re from the U.K.? I’ve never been there, but maybe it’s similar to over here in America: we want to be entertained. If you're looking to be entertained, look to see when the next circus is coming to town. I think that it's become the norm to want to be entertained; we expect to be entertained in order for anyone to get their desired response from us. Our desire to be entertained has crossed over the bounds of movies and games and has seeped into all areas of life. We demand it. That and comfort. These two ideas truly imprison us in our own world and keep us from ever venturing out and see that there's more to life than our own selves and our own wants. And, not just more, but oftentimes greater.
At the same time, though, if you're seriously searching for truth, why not start asking questions? The hard ones that may be nagging at the back of your mind. After the church service, why not approach the pastor with your sincere questions/concerns and have a reasonable discussion with him? But, don't expect him to have the answers that you want to hear, let alone have an answer to everything you ask. Those, only God knows. But, do you really think that you must understand everything, or, that your minute mind will be able to handle knowing everything?
What it comes down to is the heart.
Do you really know what it means to be a Christian?
But, than again, maybe you just posted this topic because you were bored…
Nonetheless, if you have time, check out these messages from this pastor:
http://www.gracelbmedia.org/

I do go to church. What I see as the most important factor in choosing where to plug-in at a church is whether or not the pastor is teaching straight from the Word of God (the Bible) and not candy coating the truth. Second, I want to grow and be challenged in my faith, so a pastor should be teaching in a way that opens to this outcome.

The church won’t be responsible for our individual choice of accepting Jesus as our Savior and following after Him (but the pastor will be responsible for teaching false doctrine).

I do hope that you look into the matter of Who Jesus is and stop looking at the church and holding them responsible for your bad experience. Those churches will always be around, but you and I are not guaranteed tomorrow. Fill free to send a message my way if you have any questions/comments. I can't guarantee that I have all the answers (because I don't), though. :-) But, what I do know and have come to believe and find myself convinced of, that I can share with you.

no photo
Tue 05/05/09 10:56 AM
Edited by blueberrypancakes on Tue 05/05/09 11:00 AM

Buddha means "Awakened" or "Enlightened One." It was the title given to Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. The majority of Buddhists believe that there have been, and will be in the future, many other Buddhas. Some even claim that Jesus was a Buddha.

Although Buddha was born before Jesus many scholars believe that Jesus in his missing years travelled to India to learn from monks about the benefits of resolving peacefulness of the mind, soul, and body and to eventually become enlightened. When he came back as an young adult to his hometown he tried to teach his people that one can live in peace together.

There are many recorded utterances from the Buddha that seem to have been mirrored hundreds of years later by Jesus.

For example, the Buddha said, "Everybody fears being struck by a rod, Everybody fears death. Therefore, knowing this, feeling for others as for yourself, don't kill others or cause others to kill." (The Dhammapada 10:1).

Jesus said, "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." (Luke 6:31).

Another example:

The Buddha said, "Of what avail is thy matted hair? Of what avail is they antelope hide? Within you there is a forest of defilements. You deal only with outside." (The Dhammapada 26:12)

And Jesus said, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15).

So was Jesus a Buddha? I personally believe he was very enlightened and tried to teach a more peaceful way of life that doesn't judge or condone people to brutal punishments.

Did his attempts succeed?

Many would say no, because of the atrocities happening in the name of Christianity around the world. Some would say yes it is going as planned.

In the end what can you personally take as a positive note from both Buddha's and Jesus's teachings?

Hm, have you really read through the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, ans John?)
Jesus wasn't preaching to live a good life here on earth and that's it! He had His eyes set forward towards the cross, knowing that through His death and resurrection many, by grace through faith, would be saved from sin and eternal death (apart from God). (Check out John 3: 1-21). Jesus didn't come to bring peace on earth; He came to reconcile man with God (actually, throughout the whole Bible runs this theme), but all will not receive ( Matthew 10: 34-39, John 14:6). Everything Jesus did, He did for a purpose. This world is going to pass away; our bodies can't keep from aging; ten out of ten people die. This life we live here on earth is not the only life we'll be living. There is an eternal life that each and every one of us is going to live once we breath our last breath, this side of eternity; the question is, where will you spend it? That is the big picture. You're just looking at the details, that, yes, are good, but will not give you passage to heaven.

I encourage you to really read through the Gospels because I really do think you'll come out with a different view.

(of course, there are so many ways to branch out from what I've written above, but I'm just focusing on the question at hand. Fill free to message me or ask questions! :-)

How silly and incorrect(not in the sense of what you say the bible says), yet what you believe to be true. You are young and perhaps will realize that there are far more peaceful spiritual practices that doesn't contradict, prostelyze, give judgement, and use stories that belittles mankind.

Perhaps one day you will see that Buddhism is a far older spiritual practice and belief system that shows more compassion and real answers to common human behavior.

One should also see that in Jesus's missing years it is very possible that he may have been introduced to a more peaceful practice and wanted to show his people when he returned that there is a way to coexist in peace amongst each other without for example throwing stones at children who didn't listen to their parents at the time or believe one would get perished to a hell if one didn't follow the instructions of the author's of the bible.

The bottom line is that his efforts on showing a new lifestyle to his people was punished by jealous leaders by being nailed on a cross against his will.

Why?

Because the Roman Emperor was threatened ( he believed he was a God himself) and the Jews who followed the old Testament where losing members. Both of their rule was being threatened by a simple man of peace and wisdom. Therefore the Roman Emperor with the help of the Jews who followed the Old Testament warned all Roman citizens not to follow Jesus's lead or one will be nailed on a cross. Many who where suspected of believing in Jesus's wisdom where also nailed on a cross. Jesus wasn't the only one nailed on a cross.

Fear works good in governments. Look at how Bush and his religious zealouts did it the last few years and how this once great country is one of the hugest debtors in the world today.

So in the end I would suggest for you to study some history, theology, and cross examine mythology with religions to see its similiarities of stories told from a earlier time period. Also don't hesitate to ask some deep questions sometimes such as, "Do I want to follow a book that judges others and calls them infidels, heretics, or embezzles if they don't follow a Abrahamic religion?"

Good luck on your search of knowledge and wisdom.

Hey, thanks for your response!

I do see where your coming from, but there's more!
Looking on the outside, one would only see from that angle.
It's in gettting to know Jesus that my perspective is coming from.
It's one thing to know all the facts about someone; it's another thing to get to know the person on a more intimate level.
Jesus spoke with authority because He was God in human form. In the book of Matthew, He shows that authority as He speaks to the crowds with, "you have heard it said...but I tell you...".
This is a matter of Truth (obviously, Buddhist philosophy and Christian doctrine disagree on the crucial issues. They contradict!). And, that's what I'm after--Truth.
C.S. Lewis once said, "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair". I'm sure Buddhist thought has brought up some good and useful ideas about living here on earth, but, I'm looking for more. There's got to be more than just this life spent here on earth. Christianity does the best job in explaining the hard and important questions. Doesn't mean I'll understand everything (I honestly don't think our brains could handle understanding everything), but what I need to know, I'd rather let God worry about keeping the earth spinning at the right degree away from the sun, my heart beating, and the world events fall into place.
Oh, I do study and I do read, but one must be grounded in something so as not to be swept away by every little thing that appears to sound better (i.e. being open-minded). I've come to believe that one must have something to compare other things with, but if the foundation (in my case, Christianity) is uprooted, it would mean that I should plant my roots elsewhere. So far, in my 23 years of life, the foundations have been shaken, but never rooted.

As a side note, there was a reason for Jesus' death that for those who would come to place their faith in Him would see and understand. The Bible is not some fairy tail; it's not just a history book. It's the Word of God (I don't expect you to take my word for it, but in my journey of seeking truth, I have become convinced that It is so).

As for your comment about Bush (like him or hate him), it's funny that we're so easy to put the blame of someone else, but the reality is, we're all responsible for getting ourselves in debt! Take a step back and look at society! We spend money we don't have and think we're entitled to have what we want. Of course, you're excluded if you've never had a credit card! :-) But, that's for another topic/discussion! :-)

I enjoy these conversations! Keeps me on my toes!
I may be young ;-) but that doesn't mean I ignorant. I don't know it all, but when I ask God for wisdom, He has yet to say "no". Yeah, I may be, as what is politically right to say, "close-minded", but Jesus even said that the road to eternal life is narrow, and not many travel it for it is difficult (Matthew 7:13-24).
Again, thanks for your comments!

no photo
Mon 05/04/09 09:41 PM

By this parable, the Lord Buddha teaches that we should respect all other ligitimate religions and their beliefs.

huh

So, what makes a religion/belief system legit?

Every one has beliefs, whether they vocalize them or not.
The fact of the matter is Truth.
They all can't be true.
If they weren't blind, they'd see that what they were touching was in fact an elephant.
Only God can open their eyes.
The question is, do they want to see?

no photo
Mon 05/04/09 09:36 PM

They messed up when they ran to Buddha

hahaha! :-D

no photo
Mon 05/04/09 09:31 PM
Edited by blueberrypancakes on Mon 05/04/09 09:33 PM

Buddha means "Awakened" or "Enlightened One." It was the title given to Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. The majority of Buddhists believe that there have been, and will be in the future, many other Buddhas. Some even claim that Jesus was a Buddha.

Although Buddha was born before Jesus many scholars believe that Jesus in his missing years travelled to India to learn from monks about the benefits of resolving peacefulness of the mind, soul, and body and to eventually become enlightened. When he came back as an young adult to his hometown he tried to teach his people that one can live in peace together.

There are many recorded utterances from the Buddha that seem to have been mirrored hundreds of years later by Jesus.

For example, the Buddha said, "Everybody fears being struck by a rod, Everybody fears death. Therefore, knowing this, feeling for others as for yourself, don't kill others or cause others to kill." (The Dhammapada 10:1).

Jesus said, "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." (Luke 6:31).

Another example:

The Buddha said, "Of what avail is thy matted hair? Of what avail is they antelope hide? Within you there is a forest of defilements. You deal only with outside." (The Dhammapada 26:12)

And Jesus said, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15).

So was Jesus a Buddha? I personally believe he was very enlightened and tried to teach a more peaceful way of life that doesn't judge or condone people to brutal punishments.

Did his attempts succeed?

Many would say no, because of the atrocities happening in the name of Christianity around the world. Some would say yes it is going as planned.

In the end what can you personally take as a positive note from both Buddha's and Jesus's teachings?

Hm, have you really read through the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, ans John?)
Jesus wasn't preaching to live a good life here on earth and that's it! He had His eyes set forward towards the cross, knowing that through His death and resurrection many, by grace through faith, would be saved from sin and eternal death (apart from God). (Check out John 3: 1-21). Jesus didn't come to bring peace on earth; He came to reconcile man with God (actually, throughout the whole Bible runs this theme), but all will not receive ( Matthew 10: 34-39, John 14:6). Everything Jesus did, He did for a purpose. This world is going to pass away; our bodies can't keep from aging; ten out of ten people die. This life we live here on earth is not the only life we'll be living. There is an eternal life that each and every one of us is going to live once we breath our last breath, this side of eternity; the question is, where will you spend it? That is the big picture. You're just looking at the details, that, yes, are good, but will not give you passage to heaven.

I encourage you to really read through the Gospels because I really do think you'll come out with a different view.

(of course, there are so many ways to branch out from what I've written above, but I'm just focusing on the question at hand. Fill free to message me or ask questions! :-)