Community > Posts By > Eljay

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 09:59 PM

His religion is one of the things I held against Obama but he was still a better choice than McCain.

How so?

Because he won the Nobel peace prize for - what was it - something he MIGHT do?

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 09:56 PM

blaming religion for atrocities committed is the same as blaming the Y chromosome for it. Stalin committed atrocities...what was his excuse?

Stalin like Hitler both entered into the seminary

Then denounced their Catholicism in favor of the new religion of darwin. Today - it's known as Evolution.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 09:53 PM

and also, do me a favor,

look at this

www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
the first movie is movie on the right. the second one on the left. it shows you a better understanding. when you watch it reply and tell me wha tyou think.

old news

References to "Zeitgeist: The Movie" in the mainstream media are relatively few and mostly negative. "Zeitgeist Addendum" has mostly been ignored. As far as "the Movie", commonly the film’s factual accuracy has been challenged. A review in the Irish Times entitled “Zeitgeist: the Nonsense” wrote that “these are surreal perversions of genuine issues and debates, and they tarnish all criticism of faith, the Bush administration and globalization—there are more than enough factual injustices in this world to be going around without having to invent fictional ones."[22] Skeptic magazine's Tim Callahan criticizes the first part of the film on the origins of Christianity:

Some of what it asserts is true. Unfortunately, this material is liberally—and sloppily—mixed with material that is only partially true and much that is plainly and simply bogus. […] Zeitgeist is The Da Vinci Code on steroids.[23]

Other reviews assert that it is "conspiracy crap",[24] “based solely on anecdotal evidence” and “fiction couched in a few facts”,[25] or disparaging reference is made to its part in "the 9/11 truth movement.[14]

Academic coverage of Zeitgeist has also been sparse, mainly lumping the movie in with other conspiracy movies, although at least one academic has made a more detailed (and highly critical) analysis of the scholarship (see below). Again, the coverage has been largely negative, and typically treated as part of a contemporary phenomenon of “truth” movies. According to Scientific American

“The postmodernist belief in the relativism of truth, coupled to the clicker culture of mass media where attention spans are measured in New York minutes, leaves us with a bewildering array of truth claims packaged in infotainment units. It must be true—I saw it on television, at the movies, on the Internet, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, That's Incredible, The Sixth Sense, Poltergeist, Loose Change, Zeitgeist the Movie.”[26]

A more severe overall treatment is given by Jane Chapman, a film producer and reader in media studies at the University of Lincoln, who analyzes Zeitgeist (“A fast-paced assemblage of agitprop”) as an example of unethical film-making.[27] She accuses Joseph of deceit through the use of unsourced and unreferenced assertions, and standard film-making propaganda techniques. While parts of the film are, she says, “comically” self-defeating, the nature of “twisted evidence” and the false attribution of Madrid bomb footage as being in London (which she calls a “lie”) amount to ethical abuse in sourcing (in later versions of the movie, a subtitle is added to this footage identifying it as from the Madrid bombings). She finishes her analysis with the comment:

Thus legitimate questions about what happened on 9/11, and about corruption in religious and financial organizations, are all undermined by the film’s determined effort to maximize an emotional response at the expense of reasoned argument.

Dr Chris Forbes, Senior lecturer in Ancient History of Macquarie University and member of the Synod of the Diocese of Sydney, has severely criticized Part I of the movie as having no basis in serious scholarship or ancient sources, relying on amateur sources that "borrow ideas from each other, and who recycle the same silly stuff" and "not a single serious source" can be found in official reference lists attached to the movie.[28] Of the film he says "It is extraordinary how many claims it makes which are simply not true."[28]

Forbes claims there is no evidence in Egyptian sources saying that Horus' mother Isis was a virgin. Similarly, neither Krishna (the eighth son), Dionysus (whose mother had slept with Zeus) nor Attis were ever supposed born of virgins. He points out that "son" and "sun" are not homophonic words in either Latin, Ancient Egyptian, or Greek, and therefore no such misunderstanding would occur; that the December 25 birth is not part of any of the myths—including that of Jesus, for whom Christmas Day was appointed as a festival day in open knowledge that the real date was not known.

Dr. Forbes also criticizes the movie's use of Roman sources to suggest that Jesus didn't exist, noting that a long list flashed across the screen of supposed contemporary historians that did not mention Jesus is actually comprised of geographers, gardening writers, poets and philosophers, who should not be expected to mention him. The allegation that Josephus' mention of Jesus was added later is criticized as misleading. Josephus actually mentions Jesus twice, with only one reference believed by scholars to have been doctored in the Middle Ages but to change an already existing mention of him. He also argues that the film misrepresents Constantine when it presents him as making Christianity compulsory (when he only legalized it) and inventing the historical Jesus (when early church records show that the historicity of Jesus had been a key element of faith from early on).

-wiki

i see the point here, but just because he hasnt found any doesnt mean that its not true. I actually researched it and found many things in the movie to be true. and even so, its pretty obvious that he didnt just make the things up. he had to get the information from somewhere. I found everything that I was looking up and have the evidence for it. I can provide the links and everything.

and I always tell people about "self preservation" meaning you cant go to the bible to prove that things were true. its made to self preserve itself.
there is no prove that states jesuses existance. None what so ever. Any one that wrote about jesus Never met him. plus not even using the zeitgeist for back up, but if you look it up, there are many gods that were or came before jesus and many of the attributes are the same.

How refreshing it is to see that you don't let facts influence your posts. Just toss anything out there. Why not.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 09:51 PM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 01/19/10 09:51 PM

blaming religion for atrocities committed is the same as blaming the Y chromosome for it. Stalin committed atrocities...what was his excuse?

All of Stalin's atrocities can be blamed on religion.

His religion was Evolution.

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/07/10 08:46 PM

Example: one person says ' I believe christ died for our sins and noone gets to see the Father but through the son'

the next person says "I believe christ was not the son of God but the human son of Mary and Joseph and that he spoke wisely but did not save us from sin.

...so far noone is belittled,,,,

the third person says " there is no proof Christ ever existed, those who believe in him must also believe in santa claus'

DING DING DING,,, belittling anothers belief

I'm responding to your words as written - perhaps you are referring to a comment which I would find belittling if I saw it in context.

Taking your words without context, though, as written....the idea that that is 'belittling' is your perception. To me, that person might simply be being straightforward in their opinion - and while I disagree with the phrase "must also", the basic idea that these beliefs might be comparable seems reasonable to me.

Should we be discouraged from expressing such comparisons because someone else might be offended, in their own sensitivity?

I agree.

To say Christ is the same as Santa Claus is not belittling at all. I think there may be more proof of Santa's existence than Christ's.

Because someone doesn't revere what you revere doesn't make it belittling to anyone at all.

A person best know that if they believe something as "transparent and murky" as a religion it will be questioned and unbelieved and rightly so.

Actually - there's as much, if not more "proof" that Christ existed than there is for Nostradamus - Shakespeare - Napolean - even George Washington for that matter. so, either you should adjust your thinking - or just state the disclaimer that your opinion is not clouded by petty things such as facts.

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/07/10 12:22 PM

How can
'... WHAT IS PERCEIVED AND ACCEPTED AS TRUE FOR ONE...' which is a legitimate human experience,

wouldn't any human experience be legitmate ...what would constitute a fake human experience

It could have been made clearer perhaps, but taking only part of the sentence as you do, loses it all together.

What the whole sentence implies, is that it is perfectly illegitimate to suggest that what is true for oneself, is THE TRUTH FOR ALL.

Illegitimate here, as in : not rightly deduced or inferred, ILLOGICAL.

While certain individuals' personal faith and beliefs can very well bring them to hold certain pieces of christian dogma as what is true for them, it is 'illegitimate' for those same people to derive that 'what is true for them' is THE TRUTH for all.

Eljay wrote earlier:

God did not write the bible - it is "inspired of god". Men wrote the bible as they were moved by the Holy spirit.

'Inspired of god' and 'men moved by the holy spirit', is by no means true or 'THE TRUTH' as it seems to be implied above.
It is strictly what 'some' hold as true for themselves through faith and a certain system of beliefs. In reality, those statements belongs to myths, religious doctrine and BELIEFS, and religious dogma. None of it has ever been validated, nor should it be!!!

To keep insisting that 'INSPIRED OF GOD' has to be true, so that it can conveniently make 'THE WORD' of the bible infallibly 'THE WORD OF ALL WORDS, THE TRUTH OF ALL TRUTHS', is self-serving and grossly ILLEGITIMATE.

Statements from Eljay's previous post:

What is incorrect to assume from this - is that the bible is fallable, because men are fallable, for that contradicts the fact that the men who wrote the bible were inspired by God. So - therefore, the fallacy of men is trumped by the infallibility of God, because it defies logic to assume that an omnicient God would not know a mistake would be written by an author writing one of the books of scripture, and by his very nature - could not allow that to happen, so would inspire that author to only account that which He (God) wanted accounted.

Illegitimate. Trickery!!! IMHO.

You can't discuss faith as though it were fact! We'll end-up with 'creationists' operating on brain tumors with psalms and hymns!

Some can't pretend a factual 'god', with infallible words, who inspired certain men to write a 'book', simply to satisfy their insatiable need for certainty!!!

Stop confusing faith and fact. Leave faith in the 'personal faith' domain. Don't illegitimately carry it to the PUBLIC domain of fact and logic. Ultimately, simply don't take faith 'litterally', and everything will be fine and dandy!!!

Sorry Voile - but you're the magician my friend. Let us point out what is fact here.

What is fact is what the bible claims within it's writing -

Dear Eljay, if you sincerely suggest that your comment above is 'FACT', I rest my case in the matter of confusing fact and faith. And you win the title of Master Prestigitator!!!

The only facts about your comment above, is that there is this 'book', which some people a while back called the 'bible', which contains a bunch of words, over which words people have a lot of heated and diverging opinions. That's about it on the fact front.

YES! Right. Exactly. Bingo. On the nose. That IS the point I was making. I wasn't "suggesting" anything, just saying exactly what you just wrote.

For 0,5 second straight, I thought you had an epiphany!!! And then my brain kick-in!

You are suggesting that that the 'claims' within the writings of the book are facts : '... What is fact is what the bible claims within it's writings...'.

I said: '... The only facts about your comment above, is that there is this 'book', which some people a while back called the 'bible', which contains a bunch of words, over which words people have a lot of heated and diverging opinions. That's about it on the fact front...'.

Claims are not facts, and 'writings' in a book, do not make 'claims' facts!!!

All there is as 'fact', is a 'book' used by a lot of people to base their personal beliefs upon through personal faith. The beliefs are based on faith. The claims are based on faith. And 'one's' interpretation of the writings as the true word of one's god' is again based on faith.

The claims are not facts!!! Through faith, YOU Eljay BELIEVE them to be true for YOU!!! And that is just you. When you imply that it is true period, that becomes an illegitimate statement: incorrectly derived, illogical.

True for YOU: yes!!! Just plain true as you keep implying: NO!!!

So, I'll send this message, close my eyes, and hope that you will have had a real epiphany when I open my eyes and read your reply.

No Voile. I'm the one who admits that the "truth" of the bible is not fact because it lacks emperical proof. (Momentary senior moment if this is the wrong word.) Anyway - you get my point.

WHICH by the way is "absolutely true" about an Evolutionary world view.

This is how we know there are absolutes.

We're both absolutely correct. Therefore, we are in full agreement.

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/06/10 02:41 PM

How can
'... WHAT IS PERCEIVED AND ACCEPTED AS TRUE FOR ONE...' which is a legitimate human experience,

wouldn't any human experience be legitmate ...what would constitute a fake human experience

It could have been made clearer perhaps, but taking only part of the sentence as you do, loses it all together.

What the whole sentence implies, is that it is perfectly illegitimate to suggest that what is true for oneself, is THE TRUTH FOR ALL.

While certain individuals' personal faith and beliefs can very well bring them to hold certain pieces of christian dogma as what is true for them, it is 'illegitimate' for those same people to derive that 'what is true for them' is THE TRUTH for all.

Eljay wrote earlier:

God did not write the bible - it is "inspired of god". Men wrote the bible as they were moved by the Holy spirit.

'Inspired of god' and 'men moved by the holy spirit', is by no means true or 'THE TRUTH' as it seems to be implied above.
It is strictly what 'some' hold as true for themselves through faith and a certain system of beliefs. In reality, those statements belongs to myths, religious doctrine and BELIEFS, and religious dogma. None of it has ever been validated, nor should it be!!!

To keep insisting that 'INSPIRED OF GOD' has to be true, so that it can conveniently make 'THE WORD' of the bible infallibly 'THE WORD OF ALL WORDS, THE TRUTH OF ALL TRUTHS', is self-serving and grossly ILLEGITIMATE.

What is incorrect to assume from this - is that the bible is fallable, because men are fallable, for that contradicts the fact that the men who wrote the bible were inspired by God. So - therefore, the fallacy of men is trumped by the infallibility of God, because it defies logic to assume that an omnicient God would not know a mistake would be written by an author writing one of the books of scripture, and by his very nature - could not allow that to happen, so would inspire that author to only account that which He (God) wanted accounted.

You can't discuss faith as though it were fact! We'll end-up with 'creationists' operating on brain tumors with psalms and hymns!

Some can't pretend a factual 'god', with infallible words, who inspired certain men to write a 'book', simply to satisfy their insatiable need for certainty!!!

Stop confusing faith and fact. Leave faith in the 'personal faith' domain. Don't illegitimately carry it to the PUBLIC domain of fact and logic. Ultimately, simply don't take faith 'litterally', and everything will be fine and dandy!!!

Sorry Voile - but you're the magician my friend. Let us point out what is fact here.

What is fact is what the bible claims within it's writing -

Dear Eljay, if you sincerely suggest that your comment above is 'FACT', I rest my case in the matter of confusing fact and faith. And you win the title of Master Prestigitator!!!

The only facts about your comment above, is that there is this 'book', which some people a while back called the 'bible', which contains a bunch of words, over which words people have a lot of heated and diverging opinions. That's about it on the fact front.

YES! Right. Exactly. Bingo. On the nose. That IS the point I was making. I wasn't "suggesting" anything, just saying exactly what you just wrote.

With respect to the 'claims' the 'book' has been making for some 1700 odd years, well they're just that: CLAIMS!!! And all rational people can tell the difference between a claim and a fact.

The meaning(s) or the the claim(s) of the 'book' are not 'magically' factual, just because the material form of the 'book' is!!! That is prestidigitation my friend!!!

Besides the fact that the 'book' of a bunch of words exists, the other fact I would agree with, is that you Eljay,
- have interpreted some of the claims made in the 'book',
and through faith, and exclusively for YOURSELF,
- have elevated those claims to the special and personal domain of BELIEFS: that which constitutes something to be TRUE FOR YOU.

Up until this point of the post - this has never been in doubt for me. In my personal walk of life - these "beliefs" as you say, only hold a measure of "absolute truth" for me based on my experience, and perceptions. We all see the "evidence", but how it is interpreted has nothing to do with "facts" in the overall scheme of what is or isn't absolute truth. And in the grand scheme of things, I hold no claims to quantity when it comes to my belief of the world view in which I hold - to anyone elses. What I do hold claim to is
responding to the claims and accusations of my world view by those who can't even begin to define it. To that - I researve the right to quantify.

To jump the line and call the claims of the 'book' 'FACTUAL', implying that it should be accepted as 'FACT' by all, is seriously illegitimate, as I pointed out in an earlier post.

No need to go much further at this point.

Back to you my master magician friend. :)

Quite correct. It is only factual that the book says what is written - though what most modern day Christians rely on is an "Englified" version if you'll pardon my murdering the King's english. What is "meant" by what is written is often what is in debate. However that doesn't stop people from making claims that aren't substanciated by anything written - or by taking what is written out of context and using it to support claims of it's meaning. something that runs rampant through this entire thread.

So - all of this being said, I'm not disagreeing with what you have said, unless I've taken liberties with what you intended.

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/06/10 09:23 AM

Found some more good helpful and hopeful info for the lost ones:

http://www.recoveringreligionists.com/Purpose.html

"Preamble

Having awakened our ability to think clearly and logically, we wish to apply the principles of rational thinking and the scientific method to our lives.

Religion was often given to us as children, by well meaning parents, before we had the conscious tools to question or resist. We may also have been religiously infected during times of stress when seeking social support.

Our purpose is to provide support to each other as we uncover myths and superstitions that have governed so much of our past thinking and behavior.

Our purpose is NOT to convert anyone to any organization or group, but to question superstition and irrational ideas when we encounter them. To that end, we propose these ten guiding principles for RR.

1. We recognize that we have the power to identify and eliminate irrational ideas and that our lives are manageable without religion and superstition.

2.We experience the power of rational thinking and recognize that the scientific method can help us reduce and eliminate supernatural ideas and religious infection. We are our own “myth busters.”

3. We are ready and willing to pursue lives based on reason, truth, self examination and integrity.

4. We have made an analytic inventory of our ideas and beliefs and dispensed with those that were based upon superstition and myth.

5. We have admitted to ourselves and to each other that we have been prisoners of myth, superstition, and prejudice born out of religion.

6. We have made a list of all persons we hurt (through judgement or condemnation) because we disapproved of their religious beliefs or their lack of beliefs. We have made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

7. We will work tirelessly to keep religious prejudice from infecting our judgments of people and the world.

8. We will examine the sources of our feelings of guilt and determine if they come from inappropriate religious training. If so, we will strive to eliminate them.

9.We will seek through rational discussion and debate to improve our relationships with all people, believers, non-believers, and unbelievers.

10. We will live by an ethic that values humanity and human relationships above dogma and superstition."

These are some of the most refreshing and hopeful words I have read in these religious forums in the couple of years I've been around.

The luminous side of human nature seems to be fighting back the 'virus'!!!

Great finds 'middelearthing'.

MSHARMONY WROTE:

Christianity is no more a virus than patriotism or any other allegiance, unless it affects or causes harm to others, in which case it is more a result of the individual mind than any collective belief

msharmony, you keep insisting in being part of the problem when in fact you're not.

The virus is 'christian fundamentalism', ...
(when christianity takes a radical, fanatical or extremist turn, and it does)
... a specific and isolated component of christianity, and not all of christianity and every christian in it!!!

This thread is about radicalism, fundamentalism, and extremism and its relation with all religions, and with christianity in particular because it is the dominant religion in North America. The harm done when religion, christian in our case, turns radical.

And yes, it is the religion that turns radical and appeals to a minority of its more fanaticism prone adherents.
An individual mind doesn't live in a vacuum! As the 'protestant fundamentalism code' would have them all 'believe'!!!

Okay - now, I need you to explain to me the difference between a "religion" turning radical - and an individual's interpretation being what turns radical. How is it that there is this much flexability in a philosophy which claims that it is unchanging?

By your logic - when an Islamist turns radical, the "religion" has turned radical - so how is it that every Islamist is not now a radical terrorist? Obviously - you could interchange christanity with Islam here and you'd have the same claim.

All 'individual minds' are 'fed' and influenced by surrounding mentalities. When that mentality takes the form of religious dogma, litteralism, fundamentalism, some of the more vulnerable or fragile 'individual minds' have been known to adopt it without question.

'protestant fundamentalism' perfectly fits this kind of 'individual mind feeding' radical and harmful mentality.

This is not unique t a religious fundamentalism, especially Christianity. As any 5 year old how long ago Dinasaurs lived and you'll get the perfect support for your argument - and that would be an indightment against every secular humanist who walks the planet who crams their "fundamentalism" down the throats of those incapable of reasoning out fact from fiction for themselves. This would include you Voile - reducing yourself to that which you rant and rave about. Labelling this sort of behavior as befitting "Christian Fundamentalism" is merely attempting to put a label on a behavior that is human - to a philosophy you don't agree with. But associate it with that which you hold near and dear - and now you'll be screaming how I'm a "Christian Fundy" with no grasp of reality, because it's the only way you know how to respond to this issue.

To busy trying to defend people by blaming their faults on religion, than you are to see that the fault is inherant in people.

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/06/10 09:06 AM

How can

Eljay wrote earlier:

Sorry Voile - but you're the magician my friend. Let us point out what is fact here. What is fact is what the bible claims within it's writing - now if you want to claim belief of it's validity or not, well, that is a matter of faith, or lack thereof as to one's perception of whether or not what one reads is believable. I'm not in disagreement over what either you or Funches says when addressing all of this as a matter of faith and not of fact.

But let us extend this realm into another sphere, and see if YOUR words represent any idea of truth. Let's substitute "evolution" for creationists and Christians and God, and see how ll of a sudden your tune changes on what is fact and what is myth. For it is here you have "believers of myth's" operating on brain tumors with nothing to substanciate their world view. It's trickery I tell ya.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/05/10 07:01 PM

God did not write the bible - it is "inspired of god". Men wrote the bible as they were moved by the Holy spirit. So - though a bit disingenuous - it is a fact that "Men wrote the bible."

finally ....a logical christian....welcome back Eljay

You must realize - that Funches is a literalist, so in responding to him - you must say what you mean, and mean what you say.

how rude ......but accurate

Rude... I meant it as a compliment. It's one of the things I really enjoy about your posts because you catcvh the little "exaggerations" - as I like to put them. Though I can't always agree with your logic - I have no problem seeing your objections.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/05/10 01:11 AM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 01/05/10 01:13 AM

I feel for you,,if my mom were mute and never spoke the words to me, I would know she loved me, I dont need a voice to know what I know, I just need to observe and have faith.

MsHarmony..what you feel may be Gas ...also your mom can write or use sign language to get her point across ....so do tell...just admit that you hear voices and that is how you know that God loves people

very interesting here, you say her mom can write it down that she loves her and you expect her to believe her mom, but God wrote down that he loves you and you don't believe it, so my suggestion would be to listen to your own words and do as such.

God didn't write the bible

sure he did, that's why you don't see him you don't look. God works through people. Someone does something good that is God working through that person to do a good deed. Someone does something evil that is the Devil working through someone to do something evil. God is only visible to those who look for him.

Actually - Cowboy, Funches is correct. God did not write the bible.

You must realize - that Funches is a literalist, so in responding to him - you must say what you mean, and mean what you say.

God did not write the bible - it is "inspired of god". Men wrote the bible as they were moved by the Holy spirit. So - though a bit disingenuous - it is a fact that "Men wrote the bible."

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/05/10 12:59 AM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 01/05/10 12:59 AM

What happens when someone you don't want to love you, loves you? It is a stalker situation. They watch you when you do not want to be watched, etc...

So wishing someone an all powerful, unseen, celestial stalker could actually be a frightening thing if not completely annoying.

Your idea of a "celestial stalker" is a self contradicting
one -

and only demonstrates that you don't understand what the word "love" means.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/05/10 12:46 AM

The definition of Christianity is the belief that Christ existed and that he was at the least in contact with God.

It covers a lot of religions.

And you think this is the definition of Christianity?
Where did you get this idea from that this represents all who are Christians?

Eljay's photo
Thu 12/31/09 10:48 AM

Eljay,

Let's get real for a moment here. So YOU read the bible!!!

At last count 1,4 billion catholic christians read the bible, nearly 450,000 more Greek Orthodox christians read the bible, and so on.

YOU are but ONE of nearly 2 billion people whom have read, or keep reading the bible.

YOUR definition of ANYTHING you claim to be YOUR DEFINITION is straight out of the personal interpretation YOU make of whatever it is YOU read (includes the bible), and whatever it is YOU seek to define personally.

Without YOUR personal interpretation, the bible is but an undistinguished piece of matter!

You have a personal interpretation of whatever it is you experience (includes your reading of the bible), and so does everyone else.

Catholic christians read and interpret the bible just like YOU. Their interpretation may differ from YOURS, but they read the bible just like you do. You suggest they're not christians unless they arrive at the same interpretation of the bible as you have.

WHO ARE YOU TO MAKE SUCH A PREPOSTEROUS CLAIM!!!
Why should YOUR simple and personal interpretation of a book be 'THE DEFINITIVE INTERPRETATION OVER ALL'!!!

This is what is being discussed here Eljay!!! Fanaticism! Fundamentalism! Extremism! ... the mascarading of a supreme righteous individual interpretaion of one over all others!!!

Pick a number Eljay. We are all 'supreme', or none of us are!!!

Your definition of christian coming from the bible means absolutely nothing. YOUR personal interpretation holds all of YOUR meaning. That's it Eljay. You are confusing YOUR interpretation with the 'ultimate interpretation'. YOURS, is just one of an overwhelming possibilities of just as legitimate interpretations as your own.

And that is what we, all of us, need to start reconciling and dealing with. This is what this post is about: the simplistic delusion of all fundemantalisms, and christian fundamentalists in particular for us North Americans, is a virus from which we all need to heal our North American and Western World community.

Humility, perhaps, would be the virtue to reclaim at the heart of our new journey.
Questioning our own fanatical dogmas of old, ending the circular monologues which deepen the divisions, and reconnecting with the essence of the simple and straight forward message that Jesus left us with, FREE OF ANY FORM OF RELIGIOSITY, christian fundamentalism or otherwise.

Okey, Voile - let's bring it down a notch, no need gettin' the blood pressure up. Let's get some clarity so we can discern where we agree, and where we don't.

First off - I grew up a Catholic - and never, in my entire 55 years have I met any professed Catholic who has read the bible - other than Miquel. (Lonely Walker) That is sort of irrelivant and off-point, but I will say this, I don't believe you'd find all of those Catholics you spoke of agreeing with the idea that Hitler was a Christian!

And we've looped around to this once again. We are in agreement about fanatical, legalistic Christian fundamentalists - who, by the way, I consider no more "Christian" than you actually do, because they twist and contort the philosophy so far beyond how it was intended - that it is no longer Christianity as far as most Christians are concerned.

Now - please - answer me this.

Where is the best place for one - ANYONE that is, to get their definition of a Christian. Let's start there, so you and I can at least agree on what the definition of one is. I will defer to you to get us started with a definition we can both agree on.

Eljay,

Down a notch??? Blood pressure up??? You must have had a hard christmas. There isn't a hint of stressful intent in any of my comments as you seem to imply.

And, you missed the answer and point I was making in my previous post.

Far from stressful, I thought the post was clear in establishing that the question you keep asking, is a trick question.

All christians get their definition of what it is to be a christian from the bible.

A trick question I say, because you imply that it might come from somewhere else, which is a false and misleading premise. All the different definitions of 'christian' come from the bible. They may not agree with your interpretation of the radical and 'littearist' 'words-for-word' interpretation of the book, and thus the definition YOU derive from it, but the definitions of 'christian' all come from the bible.

You will argue that yours is the purest, the most 'true to the word', and that anything else is a perversion. '... they added stuff!!!' or they don't interpret this part or that part as it should be (like YOU DO!...) you will claim, '...forfeit christians all of them!!!...'

You need to regroup, and ask yourself where you're going with this 'divisive' and 'self-righteous' mentality.

Claiming that all catholics are forfeit christians, whatever your reasons for such claim, robs you of all credibility, and puts your reasoning in the camp of the warring and divisive fundamentalists.

If you are not a fundamentalist as you claim, and I trust you when you say that, you must revisit the divisive, self-righteous and moralizing language which contaminates with fundie dogma, your otherwise well-intended comments.

And since you and I agree on the essence (radical extreme and fundamentalist christians are a perversion of all that is christian), then you and I can join forces Eljay, you as a devout and bible sourced christian, and I as a 'cultural' christian, in lovingly and compassionately denounce the destructive and hate-filled words and actions of fundamentalist christians.

You will certainly agree that the various forms of fundamentalisms around the globe cannot be fought by our brand of christian fundamentalism!?!?!?

That's the '... an eye for an eye...' of the old testament!!! Certainly not Jesus's wisdom!

What is the sourced of the various definitions of christian ??? ALL BIBLE SOURCED!!!

Now let's denounce christian fundamentalism, as Jesus denounced the Pharisee's, and move on.

Okay - so we're getting closer to an understanding.

I'm not saying there aren't these "Fundies" that you know I've gleaned from your posts over the years, we're in agreement of what that means - though I tend to think they've jumped off the wagon_carrying_christian_hay-ride, let's say for the most part, that I can trace back when they went from true believers to radical legalists, and won't agrue they represent the most radical of what we all believe to be "christian".

And just to be clear - I've never claimed that "a Catholic is not a Christian", for there are untold numbers of true believers who aline with Catholicism as their chosen denominiation - if only to remain claiming that to which they were born to (as is the case with infant baptism - a discussion for another thread at another time).

What I AM saying - is just claiming to be a Christian -BECAUSE one is a Catholic, is an invalid premise, and assumes facts not in evidence. I would cite Hitler as a glowingexample of this. Stalin as well, another "laspsed Catholic" as they say. Darwin also comes to mind. Hard to claim a moniquer of Christianity while denying God as the creator - wouldn't you say?

I'm also not arguing that most radical understandings of what Christainity is centers on interpreting the meaning behind the passages. That sort of goes witohut saying. But I find it difficult to believe that someone is a Christain who habitually breaks even the ten commandments with malice - as Hitler did. I don't think there's a "fine line of interpretation" to agree that he wasn't a Christian, and to claim he was demonstrates even the most basic of laymens definition of a christian. That has been my only point. I've never even offered MY definition of a christain to support that arguemrnt - because it's too obvious.

By the way - I hope your holidays have been enjoyable. Mine have been wonderful.

Eljay's photo
Thu 12/31/09 10:33 AM

You will find that most of the horrid leaders we have had on this planet all claim some religion and there are quite a few who were Christian.

The issue there is that Christianity meshes well with horrid acts, not whether the person was a devout Christian or not.

All religion mesh well with violence and hatred, they teach it.

You cannot teach a religion without teaching superiority, division, and righteousness.

If a person feel all of the above about other humans there you have the soup of war, violence, hatred, etc....

Unless a person can believe that their religion is NOT THE ONLY TRUE RIGHT WAY FOR ALL HUMANS, they will have the problem of being the catalyst to hatred, war and violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_religious_beliefs

I believe Christ is the only way to Christ. I dont feel better than anyone and the point Jesus made is that all are sinners(not anyone superior). People inject their ego into things. Many think 'non criminals" are superior to criminals,,is that the responsibility of the justice system?

And if you'll forgive me pile-ing on...

The mere fact that you find "horrid leaders" claiming some affiliation with religion even relevant demonstrates how you are a representative of what you're so rightiously complaining about.

To me - christianity merely informs me that EVERYONE is a "horrid leader" of their own reality - and consider their opinions superior - are as divisive as can be because they chose to point out how guilty those who are "religious" are - thus demonstrating a rightiousness determined by their own set of values and morals. It isn't the cause of it. They have a term for this - it's called "human nature". I defy you to name one person - religious or otherwise who ios not guilty of some degree of what you are so quick to point out the "religious" possess. As though you don't, or couldn't possibly - because you've "cleansed" yourself of all religion.

Wake-up. Religion has little - if anything to do with the worlds' problems. People have EVERYTHING to do with the ills of our world.

Eljay's photo
Wed 12/30/09 09:29 AM

I find it funny you people are arguing over what a christian is since the religion itself is one big contradiction. Jesus merely pointed out how the jewish religion had been hijacked and corrupted and laid out how it should be practiced and not once told anyone to start a seperate religion. He never claimed to be God, never claimed to be God's son (this phrase son of God comes from the aramaic phrase Servant of God which the word Servant..the greek equivilant was son) the mere fact that catholics pray to other saints for guidance as well as Mary, and has statues of them including Jesus goes against the very fabric that the 10 commandments stated no graven images or idols.

Actually Markum, you're just a tad off. The reason WHY he was crucified was because he claimed to be God. The gospel message, is that He WAS! But you are right in that he never came out and said "I am God". It's just something that he never denied when asked, and the writers of the Gospels, and epistles were never in doubt that Jesus was the "son of God" as they understood that phrase in Judism, since they were all Jews. (With the exception of Luke)

Eljay's photo
Wed 12/30/09 09:18 AM

Just because the 'loving Christians' don't agree with such hostility, doesn't make that hostility any less a product of the modern Christian religion.

Hostility towards Muslims and Gays? Where do you get this idea? It's totally contradictory toward Christian belief.

It is so contradictory towards your understanding of Christian belief, and yet it is evidently consistent with many other's understanding of Christian belief. Based on my reading of the four Gospels, I would agree with you. And yet I've known many others who produce quotes from the old testament and from the epistles of Paul that seems to lend Biblical support for their hostility. So I "get this idea" from self-declared Christians who cite 'biblical evidence'.

They may, in the end, be 'wrong' - and yet I would definitely consider them to be members of the Christian religion. I'm not alone in this perception.

If those whom I label the 'loving Christians' are, in fact, 'the only true christians', it might be helpful if they did more to dis-avow the beliefs of the gay-hating and Muslim-hating people who proudly label themselves Christian.

But where does this perception you have come from? Any casual perusual of even simply the gospel of John would cause anyone to doubt that the "Hating of Muslims and Gays" could be discerned from the philosophies of the gospel. So - again, whee does this "perception" that this is a part of Christian philosophy come from? Now, I'm not naive enough to not know exactly where it comes from. I've listened to the George Carlin's of the world, and know what they say - but I don't consider their "perception" of Christianity as anything but skewed - and certainly wouldn't adopt it for my own without reading the bible for myself. Which is exactly how I ended up reading it in the first place.

And there is little to stop anyone from not considering those who misrepresent a philosophy by their actions, as falsely representing that philosophy - when their intent is to discredit the philosophy in any way they can. If only to justify it to themselves.

I think Samuel Beckett best described this type of additude in Waiting for Godot. "There's man all over for you - blaming on his boots the faults of his feet."

I don't consider this "class" of people any more Christain, than an Atheist sees Stalin as representative to his belief, or a Muslim thinking Bin Ladin is a representative of what they believe.

For me, the focus is on systems of beliefs, group identification, and particular beliefs such as self-perceived moral superiority and the encouragement of "us vs them" attitudes. There are secular parallels to this problem, for certain (perhaps amongst some animal rights activist, eco-terrorists...?), but that would not diminish the depth of the problem we, as a species, have under the influence of religion.

So back to your points - I consider Bin Laden to be, in part, a product of a subset of Muslim beliefs. And he is certainly co-oping those beliefs to further his aims. In the interest of civilization, we should look at that. Atheism proper is not a system of beliefs, but I'll accept that Stalin might be a product of an atheistic belief system, which may suffer some of the same fatal flaws that fundamentalist Christian has.

Though you may see Bin Laden as a product of his interpretive understanding of Muslim beliefs - do you see him as Representing Islam? And Atheism is the belief in Secular Humanism. It's a belief system equal to Christainity in all of it's structure. It is a religion. To say it isn't is misrepresenting it. If we said that Christainity is the disbelief in man being capable of his own salvation - would we then say it's not a religion?

In this way - one can consider Hitler as not representing Christainity in any way.

Personally, I never thought of Hitler as "representing" Christianity - but I am open to the possibility that he is further evidence of why certain sets of beliefs which are found, amongst other places, in Christianity might be inherently dangerous.

To claim that Hitler is a Christain - is admitting that his actions represent the philosophy - is it not? If I were to witness an Atheist standing up in a town meeting advocating school prayer - I would tend to doubt their claim of being an atheist befor I would question my understandingof Atheism. Would you not do the same?

Eljay's photo
Wed 12/30/09 08:56 AM
Edited by Eljay on Wed 12/30/09 08:59 AM

Eljay,

Let's get real for a moment here. So YOU read the bible!!!

At last count 1,4 billion catholic christians read the bible, nearly 450,000 more Greek Orthodox christians read the bible, and so on.

YOU are but ONE of nearly 2 billion people whom have read, or keep reading the bible.

YOUR definition of ANYTHING you claim to be YOUR DEFINITION is straight out of the personal interpretation YOU make of whatever it is YOU read (includes the bible), and whatever it is YOU seek to define personally.

Without YOUR personal interpretation, the bible is but an undistinguished piece of matter!

You have a personal interpretation of whatever it is you experience (includes your reading of the bible), and so does everyone else.

Catholic christians read and interpret the bible just like YOU. Their interpretation may differ from YOURS, but they read the bible just like you do. You suggest they're not christians unless they arrive at the same interpretation of the bible as you have.

WHO ARE YOU TO MAKE SUCH A PREPOSTEROUS CLAIM!!!
Why should YOUR simple and personal interpretation of a book be 'THE DEFINITIVE INTERPRETATION OVER ALL'!!!

This is what is being discussed here Eljay!!! Fanaticism! Fundamentalism! Extremism! ... the mascarading of a supreme righteous individual interpretaion of one over all others!!!

Pick a number Eljay. We are all 'supreme', or none of us are!!!

Your definition of christian coming from the bible means absolutely nothing. YOUR personal interpretation holds all of YOUR meaning. That's it Eljay. You are confusing YOUR interpretation with the 'ultimate interpretation'. YOURS, is just one of an overwhelming possibilities of just as legitimate interpretations as your own.

And that is what we, all of us, need to start reconciling and dealing with. This is what this post is about: the simplistic delusion of all fundemantalisms, and christian fundamentalists in particular for us North Americans, is a virus from which we all need to heal our North American and Western World community.

Humility, perhaps, would be the virtue to reclaim at the heart of our new journey.
Questioning our own fanatical dogmas of old, ending the circular monologues which deepen the divisions, and reconnecting with the essence of the simple and straight forward message that Jesus left us with, FREE OF ANY FORM OF RELIGIOSITY, christian fundamentalism or otherwise.

Okey, Voile - let's bring it down a notch, no need gettin' the blood pressure up. Let's get some clarity so we can discern where we agree, and where we don't.

First off - I grew up a Catholic - and never, in my entire 55 years have I met any professed Catholic who has read the bible - other than Miquel. (Lonely Walker) That is sort of irrelivant and off-point, but I will say this, I don't believe you'd find all of those Catholics you spoke of agreeing with the idea that Hitler was a Christian!

And we've looped around to this once again. We are in agreement about fanatical, legalistic Christian fundamentalists - who, by the way, I consider no more "Christian" than you actually do, because they twist and contort the philosophy so far beyond how it was intended - that it is no longer Christianity as far as most Christians are concerned.

Now - please - answer me this.

Where is the best place for one - ANYONE that is, to get their definition of a Christian. Let's start there, so you and I can at least agree on what the definition of one is. I will defer to you to get us started with a definition we can both agree on.

Eljay's photo
Tue 12/29/09 05:48 AM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 12/29/09 05:50 AM
edited for brevity

So which 'individual' definition of christian do you subscribe to Eljay???

The "individual" definition of Christianity that I subscribe to, is the biblical one.

And how may I ask Eljay, that your 'individual and most personal' belief and interpretation of the bible should be any more true, or better, or definitive than the BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION of let's say catholics, Greek Orthodox, Anglicans, English reformists, Modern Eastern Orthodoxy, Calvinism or Zwinglism, etc. ???

It isn't. But the point here is not who is interpreting it - but where they're getting their interpretation from. Is this not the central issue to this discussion? Where else can one get an accurate definition of what a Christian is but from scripture? Any other source of a definition is relying on an opinion of what someone thinks the bible says.

If I may be so bold, and since you are not answering the question you are asking others, I will suggest that you my friend are of the christian fundamentalist branch, whom have the least credibility in calling themselves of 'Christ'. Now that wouldn't be you personally, for I believe you could be saved, but it would certainly apply to the words and dogma you have been taught and have adhered to.

You assume quite a bit here neither claimed - or evidenced. For one, I've never offered a definition of Christianity - just the means of locating an accurate one. And it doesn't matter what one believes or adhere's to. I'm not an Atheist (though I've experienced being one in the past), but I'd hardly seek my definition of one amoungst the Amish. I'm sure if you ask any Atheist where the better place to find a definition of Christianity is - the bible or the dictionary, they'd come up with the right answer on that one, so I have no idea what this "fundamentalist gibberish" is all about in terms of locating a definition of who and what a Christian is.

And as to who and what I was "taught" about what I believe... No one "taught" me about what I believe, other than to demonstrate to me what is wrong about what they believe. I've spent enough time around Cults - both Christian and non, to know how to discern when someone has a grasp o the truth or not.

Just take account for a brief moment of the content of this single post you are offering us here. I am clear it is not YOU writing these words Eljay. I am clear it is but an automated piece of dogmatic fundamentalist gibberish being written through you.

If I'm wrong, then I would suggest you and your community of fundamentalists need to regroup, for your message here is nothing other than a metaphorical declaration of war on all of humanity, laced with a clear and profound attitude of divisiveness where YOU alone have the truth and everyone without exception is either a form of 'counterfeit christian' (one whom doesn't meet YOUR STANDARDS!!!), member of the wrong religion, an evil-radical atheist, and to make absolutely sure you don't forget anyone in your invalidating genocide, you have invented subcategories inside the christian community such as 'the hypocrites, the 'Luke Warms' and the 'Cultish Legalists'.

No mention of the evangelical-apologetic-fundamentalists?!?!? The only group left out of your genocidal blacklist?!?!?!

This is a pure age old juvenile 'divide and conquer' megalomaniac recipe. NOTHING CHRISTIAN OR CHRIST LIKE ABOUT THE WORDS OF YOUR POST ELJAY.

Moralizing, judging others without just cause, a barbaric mentality of divisiveness will only taking us back to the barbaric dark ages Eljay. Surely you of all people can appreciate this simple evidence ?!?!?!

And remember Eljay, in physics as in life itself, '... exertion of a particular concentration of energy (force) will automatically cause its correlate counter force!!! If you believe in god, well then, that's how god created the playground in which you and I play.

You're babbling here Voile. All I asked is where you're getting your definition of what a Christian is if it's not from the bible itself. What's this nonsense about judging?

Eljay's photo
Tue 12/29/09 01:01 AM

edited for brevity

I think they get stuck in the "NOT ME (or NOT MY CHURCH)" mode....cherrypicking to fit and defend their own beliefs even if it defies historical fact...I could find a KKK member who'd swear he's a "True Christian" and other Christians who do not support his Klan cannot possible be "True Christians"...another example of religiosity's cryptic belief system that allows denial for their damage to humanity...denial by the numbers.

Actually - let's look at history.

In the first Century, christians were Jews only. Catholicism did not even exist. Saul was not yet Paul, and here were no "christians" even in Rome yet. So - how did they know what a Christian was - if Catholicism didn't even exist, and you couldn't become a Christian unless you were Jewish?

Since you're intimating that I don't even know how to recognize my own beliefs outside of historical fact - provide me with some. I'd rather you educate me on this rather than ridicule me, since you're the expert.

The thread is not really pecific to Chrisianity, it's about any religious extremism when it comes to the violence and ignorances that relgion embraces...and who is saying you don't know your own beliefs? If anything I assume you have some things to deny about it tho~..lol...I take it you voted for the Dippic twice and think Sarah Palin is sane...now THAT'S extreme.

While your original post was about extreme religious extremism - your subsequent posts have only refered to Christianity - and not even on an extremist level. You speak of mere christianity as though it were a disease - yet you can't even define what a christian is. So - why did you bother to start this thread?

I started this thread in hopes that extremists will try to get help with their affliction. It just so happens that I live in a country full of Christian extremists, many of them deny they are extremists and just live day to day as part of the problem.

We need to evolve past what is damaging humanity.

Hate to break this to you - but for every Christain extremist you'll find in this country - you'll find a secular humanist extremist pointing them out for you. In most circumstances - the Christian extremists are far outnumbered by the Humanist extremists.

And we need to stop "de-evolving" if you want to put an end to what is damaging humanity. For man is his own biggest problem - and contributes little, if anything to the solution of what ails humanity.

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 24 25