Community > Posts By > Eljay

Eljay's photo
Sun 05/01/11 08:51 PM
Good ole Abra;

So - what you are asking me to believe is that Jesus - though speaking to two completely different audiences about two completely different things - was really refering to the same thing.

So you are trying to convince me that you think I think a horse and a cow are the same because they both stand on four legs, and even though i tell you I do not think they are the same - that I am wrong because I claim they both have four legs, and in doing so I HAVE to believe they are the same so that you can now come in and prove to me I'm wrong about what you claim I think?

We've been building and burning this strawman for YEARS!!!

By the way. How are you my friend! I miss you all!

Eljay

Eljay's photo
Fri 02/12/10 01:08 PM

I understand the question. why are people acting double sided, feeding both sides. I dont even know how people do it. I am on the side of doubt, I find it hard to believe that A supreme being creates faulty products (humans) and then blames them for being the way they are. truth be told, if you are a creator of anything, and there are flaws in your creation. the flaws in the creation REFLECT flaws in the creator. if there are flaws in the creator then the creator cannot be all powerful. so therefore, the idea of god is a flaw because It was made with the human Mind. God therefore didnt make humans, humans made God

You are quite correct. Good logical thinking. I hope you post often.

Actually - this is a prototype example of fallious logic, and makes no sense at all. The assumed premise here is that man is analigous to any and everything he creates - thus attempting to equate God to man. However, there isn't anything on this planet created by man that comes even CLOSE to the creation of man himself - therefore to attempt to equate God's creation of man, and man's creation of anything as somehow being analogious or equal - is at best laughable, and in the absolute - delusional.

You might want to reconsider the standard by which you qualify logic.

But you're ASSUMING (and we all know what that does- makes an A$$ out of Adam) that the person in question has started out thinking and/or believing that there is a supreme being. If they do not, then their conclusion is logical. Your logic is excellent an example of fallacious (yeah that's called spell check!) logic because you surmise that one MUST start out believing what YOU do. If there were a supreme being that did create humanity in it's image then it created us to be analogous to it- or as close as it could get us to be.
Take birth for example. "God" does not do this. We do- this supreme being is very scientific for it supposedly created the first humans. It may have created the souls of every human but it did not have any part in making any human after the first two. This is because of sex, all the components wherein conception is envolved and then birth. Heck, "God" created us to have sex- to make more of us- therefore becoming like it (as close as "God" could get without making more supreme beings like itself).

Actually - my spelling is flawless - it's my typing that sucks.

I didn't assume anything. I just took the reference to God to mean - well, a reference to God. It was the poster within the quote who made the determiniation that God was the supreme being creator.

And you are correct. Man does not create ANYTHING. There isn't a single thing on this entire planet that man has "created" - in the truest sense of the word. But is this a discussion about semantics - or logic?

I still contest that the statement "good logical thinking" has no truthful/acceptable premise to support it. and your post has not changed that conclusion.

Eljay's photo
Fri 02/12/10 12:53 PM

I understand the question. why are people acting double sided, feeding both sides. I dont even know how people do it. I am on the side of doubt, I find it hard to believe that A supreme being creates faulty products (humans) and then blames them for being the way they are. truth be told, if you are a creator of anything, and there are flaws in your creation. the flaws in the creation REFLECT flaws in the creator. if there are flaws in the creator then the creator cannot be all powerful. so therefore, the idea of god is a flaw because It was made with the human Mind. God therefore didnt make humans, humans made God

Could you enlighten us on what it is that God created in man that is a flaw, and not something that is a result of the choices of man and the degradation of the planet, society, and his physical well being which are a result of the choices of man and not the creation of God?

another example is with a child. when a child continuously acts up and is behaving in a bad way. Its the parents fault for not handling the situation, the parents created the child, so that just shows that the parent isnt perfect. which makes sense. but to have a almighty powerful god, creator of the worlds and universe and every thing he makes is perfect lol, if he created us, why do we do imperfect things, lie, steal, murder, kill, destroy, hate etc, free will yes, but to religious people who created us.....if I was a perfect so called god I would have created my creation without those imperfections and negativity in the first place. you find loop holes in every system known to man, simply because they were created by man.

Wrong again. The parents did not "create" the child - they procreated it. They merely are perpetuation the creation process - not establishing it. God created Adam - and from Adam, Eve. After that, his involvement ended. As part of that creation, he established what we falsely call "free will", which as Funches will tell you - does not exist. Better refered to as "Freedom of choice" - this attribute of man is better than anything man could come up with in the way of behavior modification - as any alternative is flawed, and has been exploited by Hollywood for years.

Try again - I think you're getting closer. However, you are just not going to be able to site a flaw with God's creation, because there isn't one.

Eljay's photo
Fri 02/12/10 12:47 PM

Could you enlighten us on what it is that God created in man that is a flaw, and not something that is a result of the choices of man and the degradation of the planet, society, and his physical well being which are a result of the choices of man and not the creation of God?

people arent perfect. people make mistakes. people have free will. so since we arent perfect, religious people say we are made from god. so therefore god created imperfections. if you made a robot then that robot was programed to be a certain way, if that robot does things a certain way its because of the way it was programed.

Your logic is flawed. You have fallen into the fallacy of the shifting middle. You are attempting to equate the physical existance of man with the choices that man makes and saying that God is responsible for both. Not true. God is responsible for what he created - man is responsible for what he does with it. I can "create" a perfect car - but if I give the keys to you and you crash it - who's fault is that? mine because it is "capable" of being misused? Not quite. The flaw exists in your crashing the vehicle - not how it was made in the first place.

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/10/10 03:35 PM

You are quite correct. Good logical thinking. I hope you post often.

Actually - this is a prototype example of fallious logic, and makes no sense at all. The assumed premise here is that man is analigous to any and everything he creates - thus attempting to equate God to man. However, there isn't anything on this planet created by man that comes even CLOSE to the creation of man himself - therefore to attempt to equate God's creation of man, and man's creation of anything as somehow being analogious or equal - is at best laughable, and in the absolute - delusional.

You might want to reconsider the standard by which you qualify logic.

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/10/10 03:18 PM

blaming religion for atrocities committed is the same as blaming the Y chromosome for it. Stalin committed atrocities...what was his excuse?

he was crazy.

Those that can make you believe absurbities can make you comit attrocities. most religions are make to manipulate.

ok...so he is excused but the reasons for others can ONLY be because of religion????? It's ok for Stalin but not others?

The Y chromosome argument is just as valid as blaming religion, especially since not all who are religious do these things either.

Can you tell me that Atheists can't be extremists too?????

Maybe it's not the person's beliefs that make them do it, but instead they hide behind it as an excuse
The Bible says witches should be burned . . . so if someone burns a person, calls them a witch and is Christian, then YES religion played an integral part in the situation, and without religion the situation would have NOT occurred.

Where does it say "witches should be burned" in the bible?

Could you provide the verse on that one?

Matthew 13:49-50
"So it will be at the close of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous, and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth."

[22:18, KJV] "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Burn baby burn?

And you call this an example. What happened to all those words between Matthew 13:51 and Matthew 22:17?

Did you actually graduate from high school? If you did - you need to go back and sue the H.S. you went to for fraud, because they didn't teach you a damn thing.

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/10/10 03:14 PM

you cant blame tv or movies for these things just sick people who already have violent tendencies. I've been a fan of horror and very heavy "dangerous" music since I was 14. Even then it was just music and all of my friends the same way. Just because sick people are atracted to it doesnt put it at fault.

Huh? After you wrote this - did you bother to read it? So it's religion that does harm - but not people. BUT - It's not the movies that do harm, it's People.

Ever hear of the term double standard - or self contradictory?

This post and the one before it define the terms.

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/10/10 02:27 PM

Also, If God is "all powerful" and Satan really is the enemy, God would not permit him to exist.

Why is that? Could you expound on that.

Satan is an example of why there is no "Free Will" ....no matter what Satan does even if Satan accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior even if Satan decide to make God appear wrong by not participating in any evil or war ...God will force Satan into the battle of Armageddon in order to fullfill the prophecy of Revelations ...Satan has no choice but to do this because it is God that control his actions

this is why the only logical reason why an "all powerful" God would allow evil to exist ...is because the God is evil

Actually Funches - this is totally contradictory to what is biblical. God does not "force" anyone - he merely states what is already known to have happened by one who stands outside and beyond the constraints of time. That is why the bible says what it says, because it already happened.

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/09/10 12:06 AM

Also, If God is "all powerful" and Satan really is the enemy, God would not permit him to exist.

Why is that? Could you expound on that.

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/08/10 11:47 PM
Edited by Eljay on Mon 02/08/10 11:50 PM

creative:

The Lord, or God, judges that which is in a wo/man's heart. For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks...

What bothers me most about the salvation aspect of Christianity is the idea that one can be truly sorry and repent for some atrocity committed against another who has never deliberately harmed anyone but has not been saved, and the repenter - even though the sum total of good deeds vs. bad deeds is immensely in favor of the bad gets the reward of heaven regardless. Now this may seem like a hopeful and just idea, but if the perpetrator goes to heaven and the victim goes to hell - because s/he has not been saved - where is the justice and fairness in that?

Eljay responded:

But the issue is not one of quality - but quantity, and it is not whether one is a perpetrator or a victim - but is one of pride and willfull defiance.

Because of this - justice and fairness is irrelivant, becuase none are justified, and no one is subject to what is "rightfully" fair.

This makes no sense to me Eljay. If by quantity you mean good vs. bad deeds, then you agree with my issue - as it was expressed. Are you considering 'pride' to be a bad thing? Is one wrong for being proud of doing right?

None are justified because no one is subject to what is rightfully fair?

What does that even mean?

When I say that the issue is one of quantity - it has nothing to do with the "amount" as it were, but the mere fact that there is an occurance. I know that you are well aware that the issue is not the severity of the sin, or even the amount of it when one stands before a rightious and just God to give account of oneself - for "all sin and fall short of the glory of God". It is for this reason - that it makes no difference if it is Mother Teresa, or Ted Bundy standing before God - without Jesus standing with them as their advocate, their place in eternity is determined by thier own decision. Either they chose to spend it with god, or without him. And one makes this decision by declaring the decision they have for Christ. On this point both you and I stand in equality with Hitler in god's eyes in the day of judgement. Now - it's not a matter of whether or not one believes this is the case, or if they even think that it is fair or just. In Christianity - it is what is! And how could it be any different? It doesn't make sense to "weigh out ones salvation" with the amount of good deeds one does vs bad deeds. Who becomes the judge? Who sets the standard? One persons good deed could be the misfortune of another. Robin Hood comes to mind here.

As to the idea of "pride" - being proud of one's accomplishments is a misnomer on what is meant when the bible chastises man for his "pride". Being confident is one thing - being prideful is quite a different matter. It is the self-centered aspect of being prideful to which I refer. not necessarily the self accomplishment aspect.

The wages of sin is death. Period. The "fairness" comes only in the perception of the value of time. Were man to suffer the consequences of his actions immediately - there would likely be no one alive mature enough to pro-create.

Eljay, I believe you're taking Paul's words completely out of context. The wages of sin is spiritual death. When one gains the enlightenment of spirit they do so from avoiding to continue thinking and therefore acting in the same manner(s) which led up to the need for the enlightenment to begin with. The hope which is gained from seeking 'better' is gained from within. It requires the removal of that which blocks the 'light'. Before whatever that is can be removed, it must first be identified as blocking the light.

The value of time has nothing to do with fairness, at least not as I am considering what is to be called 'fair'. If by the above you mean if 'God' would punish man immediately for his sins then there would be no one mature enough to pro-create, then I must ask...

All sins are to be held as equally punishable in terms of the punishment itself? I suspect that this is what you're getting at, or what grounds your response here. I also believe that that is as immoral as hell. Pun intended.

I, as a loving parent, would never punish all misbehavior(s) with equal force. I certainly would not punish my children for modeling my own behavior(s). After all, they learned it from me... right?

huh

While I don't find fault with your observation of a "spiritual" death as a consequence of sin - I think one is ignoring the obvious if one holds to that idea as exclusive. All sin/all die. Period. It is the ONLY absolute we cannot disprove. Now most people would rather say that one has nothing to do with the other - but in terms of a biblical perspective, it's as clear as it can get. Naturally, we qualify the severity of this matter against time - because we are bound by it. However - God is not. Once a soul sins - it will die. Time has nothing to do with this consequence in the matters of an eternal God, but to we as humans, it means everything. If a child overdoses on drugs it's a major tragedy, but when a drug abuser dies of complications from his habit in his 70's, we don't think much of it. We actually claim they were lucky to live that long. Yet - each has suffered a consequence of their action. As simplistic as I may be appearing to make this sound - it really is nothing more than that.

So - while you can measure punishment (often misrepresenting consequence in arguments relating to christianity) by means of force (a representation of quantity) - these are Human qualities! To God - all consequences of sin ARE EQUALLY SEVER! The white lie drove the nail through Christs right wrist, while the Holicost drove the nail through his left.

Can you see the point? It's not about force or severity, or about what is just or unjust. It's about the mere fact that we even bother to do it just ONCE. No matter how small it was - or got, it drove those spikes through a man who never got it wrong.

What is so hard to see about that? Nothing is more obvious to me in life - than this. I've never seen a circumstance where I could possibly imagine someone not holding a spike in one hand and a rock in another. It holds true for everyone I've ever known. Including the dude who looks back at me in the mirror.

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/08/10 11:16 PM

I can't resist commenting any longer...

Don't you ever get bored of this back and forth? I'm right and you're wrong! No I'm right and you're wrong! You don't agree with me so you're delusional! No you're delusional because you don't think like I do! I'm better because I have the solution! No I'm better.... SHEESH!!! It's primary school all over again. My doll is better than yours because it talks !No mine is better than yours because it can eat and poo.... blablabla! explode

Saturnine....what's actually is delusional is for someone to log into a debating forum to complain about people debating

surely even in your life outside the forum you express your opinions to others which may differ from their opinion ...

Funches - I cannot pass up this rare opportunity to fully and whole heartedly agree with you.

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/08/10 11:12 PM

creative wrote:

Let's think about the immorality aspect in a different 'light', one of which builds upon some of the fundamental aspects(beliefs) of Christianity.

1.)Every Christian calls 'God' - the father, the son, and the holy spirit(ghost). That is a fundamental aspect of Christianity - the holy trinity. The father meaning God the creator, the son meaning Jesus, the Holy Spirit meaning our guide in life(conscience).

2.)Another fundamental belief of Christianity is that we, as children of God, cannot possibly know the reasons for what God does because we cannot know God's will or plan. Yet no Christian can possibly deny that God has a plan because that is contained in scripture.

3.)Another fundamental belief in Christianity is that God is just, meaning one will get rewarded for their choices accordingly.

4.)Another fundamental belief is that God is all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good, and always present everywhere.

Now referring back to the OP...

The author proposed a simple consideration. That being one of redemption or salvation. God, through Jesus, has offered humans forgiveness for their own wrongdoings. All one has to do is ask Jesus to forgive them of their 'sins' and come into their heart and guide them in life. That is often referred to as 'being saved'. The act of doing so, as long as one is truly sorry for what they have previously done 'wrong', allows one to be 'reborn' or 'born again'. That is like a fresh start in life despite the wrongdoings that one may have already been guilty of, including acts against other people.

Now think about that for just a few moments.

Eljay wrote:

C.S.

So far - up to this point I would have to say that everything you've stated so far is right on - except that your "children of God" reference is a bit ambiguous. If you are refereing to "everyone" as children of God - we are in disagreement, for that is not the correct conclusion to the exegesis you have given. That being said... You've arrived at this:

With this given construct, one can self-justify any and all actions which they have taken against another - no matter what those effects caused - simply because the core belief system requires that 'God' will forgive any and all acts except one of blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.

Actually - this is a bit of a "shifting-middle fallacy" and assumes facts not in evidence, and ignores those facts not stated. For a major omission in your overview of Christianity - is that once one is saved - (or born again, which is the layman's term for being "sealed with the Holy Spirit") - one walks in the light as Jesus did. And if one does not walk in the light - they deieve themselves, and the Holy spirit is not in them. (See writings of John and James) So - to perform the acts which you say are self-justifyable is a walking contradiction, and a demonstration that one is NOT saved if this particular stance is adopted. It's more or less the litmus test for disproving a claim of Christianity - than the outcome the the premises you've laid out.

Good to see you Eljay! flowerforyou

I hope life is finding you well, my friend.

I think you have misunderstood my meaning, and if that is the case, it probably is because of how I wrote that response. I agree with you completely that one cannot be saved and continue to live and do the things that they know in their heart are wrong. It just does not work that way. The book of James is one which I hold fond in memory, therefore it was interesting for you to suggest it. flowerforyou That being said...

The way that I wrote that may indeed sem like I was implying that one could continue doing wrong after being 'saved' and continue to be 'saved'. That is not what I meant, though... my apologies.

I actually used the term 'self-justify' rather loosely.

creative wrote:

In addition to the "Do as I say, and not as I do" teaching methods consistently shown throughout the Old Testament, all of this seems very reprehensible to me.

Eljay wrote:

As it should. For all fallacious logic should be reprehensible. It is the "sandy foundation" of all presumed refutations of christianity. While I appreciate how the argument is constructed - I'd like to see it flushed out a little bit more before the conclusion you reached was stated.

Fair enough Eljay. I would agree that my construct was flawed regarding the self-justification aspect. The 'Do as I say, and not as I do' aspects of the OT still irk me... seriously irk me.

flowerforyou

C.S.

I'm doing quite well my friend - although at this time i could do without the governor of Massachusetts. The man is an IDIOT! He's taking my job away - or trying to.

I kind of thought that this is what you were really thinking, though I'm glad that you came out and said it in this post.

As to the O.T. I have had this discussion with Abra before, and I will pose the same question to you:

What would you have had God do that would have been an improvement on the situation?

I cannot justify, or explain WHY God says on one hand - "do not murder", then orders every man woman and child to be destroyed in another chapter. But I also cannot claim that I am knowledgable - or even as Just as God to claim that I have a "better idea" of the way things should have gone - nor do I have enough information to know why these actions might not be totally justifyable as they were! I don't lose any sleep when we imprison criminals like animals - or even put them to death as a consequece of their actions, so I view the acts of the old testament in the same way. Nor do I feel hypicritical about it. I can say that actions lead to consequences - in some cases execution - while at the same time saying abortion is wrong (for instance). I don't feel that I have to "understand" the Old Testament "logic" as it were, or justify it through my understanding of morals as I know them today. Nor do I see them as contradictory. What I see - is a lack of evidence on my part to formulate an opinion that causes me to think I know better than God! And in doing so - now question the existance of God, based on a moral standard I've justified for myself - given what little information I have to even formulate an opinion in the first place.

At least that's the stance I take on it. I only seek to understand it better - not try to devise a ways or means to think I could have improved on it.

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/08/10 10:46 PM

The fact of the matter is, satan is necessary to personify evil. Since God is the figurehead for "Good" than "Evil" needs a "Face" so to speak as well. Because without evil there is no good, and without good there is no evil. The universe is all about balance, it's how it works. If Lucifer had never turned on his creator, had he not fallen. There would be no good or evil, there would simply be "The way it is" it wouldn't have a name, an emotional response. It would just be. I don't know if that confuses anyone but It made sense to me. In order for good to exist so must evil. Satan/Lucifer are simply the portrait in which we paint the deeds. The same with God/YHVH/Jesus(Yeshua) whatever your beliefs. In order to justify morality and what we as humans define as good, there must be an evil to compare it to.

Actually - why do you say that without evil there is no Good? While I agree that without Good, there is no evil, it is not an associative relationship. These terms are not opposites in the sense that they are quantifyable. Evil is the absense of Good. It is good that is measured and determined - not evil. Much like there is only a measurement for light, and without the concept of light there would be no understanding of darkness - for darkness is the absence of light. The same can be said for Hot and Cold. We measure heat. We have no calibration for "cold" because theoretically - it does not exist.

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/08/10 10:38 PM

But why wouldn't a Christian try to save the most lost of souls? Satan is the most lost of all.

They could stop the whole evil thing and solve all the problems of humanity if they could save the devil.

Well - to begin with - christians don't save anybody. God redeems those who put their faith in Christ. Other than that, no one can do anything in the way of salvation for anyone else but themselves.

Another thing is - there's no stopping this "whole evil thing". The whole thing about Satan or the devil is that he is only "tempting" man - he's not comitting the acts. That's man himself doing the deed. Want to get rid of evil on the planet? Get rid of Man/Woman!

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/08/10 10:33 PM

Where does it say in the Christian faith there are lost causes? Sinners beyond saving?

Assuming that this is not a rhetorical question. It says it in Romans, and there are other references.

Eljay's photo
Sat 02/06/10 03:45 PM

Fact #1: The biblical mythology of the God of Abraham proclaims that mankind's "fall from grace" is what brought death and imperfection into the world.

Fact #2: Science has confirmed via overwhelming evidence that death and imperfection existed long before mankind evolved.

Only possible conclusion: Science and biblical mythology are forever totally incompatible and can never be reconciled.

The mythological "God of Abraham" is necessarily every bit of a myth as his Greek counterpart Zeus. There's no getting around it. This has been scientifically verified as I have just outlined above.

James;

Science has not "proven" with any evidence that death existed before man - it has only confirmed by the overwhelming majority of scien-TISTS - that their PERCEPTION is that.

Demonstrating that in a secular world, truth can be established by a mere majority consenses. And these people are called "intelligent".

I'm curious as to what your argument is to support your second statement that differentialtes it from the first. And I won't be holding my breath waiting for you to get it right, 'cause you're going to be at it a LONG TIME before anything "EVIDENTIARY" is acceptable.

Eljay's photo
Sat 02/06/10 03:38 PM

Wow, it looks like Cyclops is pulling up some old threads.

I must admit its fun to be reminded of some old friends I've not talked to in years.

Wow - a blast from the past. I can recall reading this thread years ago.

Worth bringing this back -if just for Ressert's posts.

Eljay's photo
Sat 02/06/10 03:16 PM

The christian extremists are claiming Einstein among their flock of seagulls.

They're FUNNY!

"There is a religious motive for doing science, but it does not entail a belief in a personal God. "

Albert Einstein

Now they are twisting Einstein quotes, (just like they did in the "crazy stuff from the bible" thread). to further their agendas of conquering the world and "saving" everyone...I wonder how many people they will kill or discriminate against to get that done?

It's just not smart...

A quote is what it is.

Not as well read as you thought - eh?

Eljay's photo
Sat 02/06/10 02:42 PM

This is not science backing religion, its science explaining the human propensity for religious belief.

L2think

Some are not smart enough to realize that..they rely on their truthiness to pretend they are not brain damaged from religious indoctrinations...pretty sad really.

"Myth: Intelligent people tend to be more religious.

Fact: Intelligent people tend to be more secular.

Summary

The broad consensus of research shows that people with higher IQs tend to be less religious, not more so.

Argument

Is it more logical to be a Christian? Is religion the natural choice of a smart person familiar with more of the evidence? Not according to a broad consensus of studies on IQ and religiosity. These studies have consistently found that the lower the IQ score, the more likely a person is to be religious.

To place these studies in perspective, it is helpful to know the general religious attitudes of Americans today. According to a February 1995 Gallup poll, 96 percent of all Americans believe in God, and 88 percent affirm the importance of religion. However, the degree of religiosity within this group varies considerably. Only 35 percent can be classified as "religious," using a definition that requires them to consider religion important and attend religious services at least once a week. And a March 1994 Gallup poll found that only 20 percent of all Americans belong to that politically active group known as "Christian conservatives."

The following is a review of several studies of IQ and religiosity, paraphrased and summarized from Burnham Beckwith's article, "The Effect of Intelligence on Religious Faith," Free Inquiry, Spring 1986: (1)"

I have references to support this obvious fact:

1. Thomas Howells, 1927
Study of 461 students showed religiously conservative students "are, in general, relatively inferior in intellectual ability."

2. Hilding Carlsojn, 1933
Study of 215 students showed that "there is a tendency for the more intelligent undergraduate to be sympathetic toward… atheism."

3. Abraham Franzblau, 1934
Confirming Howells and Carlson, tested 354 Jewish children, aged 10-16. Found a negative correlation between religiosity and IQ as measured by the Terman intelligence test.

4. Thomas Symington, 1935
Tested 400 young people in colleges and church groups. He reported, "There is a constant positive relation in all the groups between liberal religious thinking and mental ability… There is also a constant positive relation between liberal scores and intelligence…"

5. Vernon Jones, 1938
Tested 381 students, concluding "a slight tendency for intelligence and liberal attitudes to go together."

6. A. R. Gilliland, 1940
At variance with all other studies, found "little or no relationship between intelligence and attitude toward god."

7. Donald Gragg, 1942
Reported an inverse correlation between 100 ACE freshman test scores and Thurstone "reality of god" scores.

8. Brown and Love, 1951
At the University of Denver, tested 613 male and female students. The mean test scores of non-believers was 119 points, and for believers it was 100. The non-believers ranked in the 80th percentile, and believers in the 50th. Their findings "strongly corroborate those of Howells."

9. Michael Argyle, 1958
Concluded that "although intelligent children grasp religious concepts earlier, they are also the first to doubt the truth of religion, and intelligent students are much less likely to accept orthodox beliefs."

10. Jeffrey Hadden, 1963
Found no correlation between intelligence and grades. This was an anomalous finding, since GPA corresponds closely with intelligence. Other factors may have influenced the results at the University of Wisconsin.

11. Young, Dustin and Holtzman, 1966
Average religiosity decreased as GPA rose.

12. James Trent, 1967
Polled 1400 college seniors. Found little difference, but high-ability students in his sample group were over-represented.

13. C. Plant and E. Minium, 1967
The more intelligent students were less religious, both before entering college and after 2 years of college.

14. Robert Wuthnow, 1978
Of 532 students, 37 percent of Christians, 58 percent of apostates, and 53 percent of non-religious scored above average on SATs.

15. Hastings and Hoge, 1967, 1974
Polled 200 college students and found no significant correlations.

16. Norman Poythress, 1975
Mean SATs for strongly antireligious (1148), moderately anti-religious (1119), slightly antireligious (1108), and religious (1022).

17. Wiebe and Fleck, 1980
Studied 158 male and female Canadian university students. They reported "nonreligious S's tended to be strongly intelligent" and "more intelligent than religious S's."

STUDENT BODY COMPARISONS

1. Rose Goldsen, 1952
Percentage of students who believe in a divine god: Harvard 30; UCLA 32; Dartmouth 35; Yale 36; Cornell 42; Wayne 43; Weslyan 43; Michigan 45; Fisk 60; Texas 62; North Carolina 68.

2. National Review Study, 1970
Percentage of students who believe in a Spirit or Divine God: Reed 15; Brandeis 25; Sarah Lawrence 28; Williams 36; Stanford 41; Boston U. 41; Yale 42; Howard 47; Indiana 57; Davidson 59; S. Carolina 65; Marquette 77.

3. Caplovitz and Sherrow, 1977
Apostasy rates rose continuously from 5 percent in "low" ranked schools to 17 percent in "high" ranked schools.

4. Niemi, Ross, and Alexander, 1978
In elite schools, organized religion was judged important by only 26 percent of their students, compared with 44 percent of all students.

STUDIES OF VERY-HIGH IQ GROUPS

1. Terman, 1959
Studied group with IQ's over 140. Of men, 10 percent held strong religious belief, of women 18 percent. Sixty-two percent of men and 57 percent of women claimed "little religious inclination" while 28 percent of the men and 23 percent of the women claimed it was "not at all important."

2. Warren and Heist, 1960
Found no differences among National Merit Scholars. Results may have been effected by the fact that NM scholars are not selected on the basis of intelligence or grades alone, but also on "leadership" and such like.

3. Southern and Plant, 1968
Studied 42 male and 30 female members of Mensa. Mensa members were much less religious in belief than the typical American college alumnus or adult.

STUDIES Of SCIENTISTS

1. William S. Ament, 1927
C. C. Little, president of the University of Michigan, checked persons listed in Who's Who in America: "Unitarians, Episcopalians, Congregationalists, Universalists, and Presbyterians [who are less religious] are… far more numerous in Who's Who than would be expected on the basis of the population which they form. Baptists, Methodists, and Catholics are distinctly less numerous."

Ament confirmed Little's conclusion. He noted that Unitarians, the least religious, were more than 40 times as numerous in Who's Who as in the U.S. population.

2. Lehman and Witty, 1931
Identified 1189 scientists found in both Who's Who (1927) and American Men of Science (1927). Only 25 percent of those listed in the latter and 50 percent of those in the former reported their religious denomination, despite the specific request to do so, under the heading of "religious denomination (if any)." Well over 90 percent of the general population claims religious affiliation. The figure of 25 percent suggests far less religiosity among scientists.

Unitarians were 81.4 times as numerous among eminent scientists as non-Unitarians.

3. Kelley and Fisk, 1951
Found a negative (-.39) correlation between the strength of religious values and research competence. [How these were measured is unknown.]

4. Ann Roe, 1953
Interviewed 64 "eminent scientists, nearly all members of the prestigious National Academy of Sciences or the American Philosophical Society. She reported that, while nearly all of them had religious parents and had attended Sunday school, 'now only three of these men are seriously active in church. A few others attend upon occasion, or even give some financial support to a church which they do not attend… All the others have long since dismissed religion as any guide to them, and the church plays no part in their lives… A few are militantly atheistic, but most are just not interested.'"

5. Francis Bello, 1954
Interviewed or questionnaired 107 nonindustrial scientists under the age of 40 judged by senior colleagues to be outstanding. Of the 87 responses, 45 percent claimed to be "agnostic or atheistic" and an additional 22 percent claimed no religious affiliation. For 20 most eminent, "the proportion who are now a-religious is considerably higher than in the entire survey group."

6. Jack Chambers, 1964
Questionnaired 740 US psychologists and chemists. He reported, "The highly creative men… significantly more often show either no preference for a particular religion or little or no interest in religion." Found that the most eminent psychologists showed 40 percent no preference, 16 percent for the most eminent chemists.

7. Vaughan, Smith, and Sjoberg, 1965
Polled 850 US physicists, zoologists, chemical engineers, and geologists listed in American Men of Science (1955) on church membership, and attendance patterns, and belief in afterlife. Of the 642 replies, 38.5 percent did not believe in an afterlife, whereas 31.8 percent did. Belief in immortality was less common among major university staff than among those employed by business, government, or minor universities. The Gallup poll taken about this time showed that two-thirds of the U.S. population believed in an afterlife, so scientists were far less religious than the typical adult.

Conclusion

The consensus here is clear: more intelligent people tend not to believe in religion. And this observation is given added force when you consider that the above studies span a broad range of time, subjects and methodologies, and yet arrive at the same conclusion."

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-thinkingchristians.htm

Seems to me - the only consensus here is you'll believe anything you read as long as it supports your unsubstanciated premises.

Certainly not a reflection of any intelligence. You must be VERY religious. You need to give up your religious fanticies dude - and try thinking for yourself.

Eljay's photo
Sat 02/06/10 02:36 PM

blaming religion for atrocities committed is the same as blaming the Y chromosome for it. Stalin committed atrocities...what was his excuse?

he was crazy.

Those that can make you believe absurbities can make you comit attrocities. most religions are make to manipulate.

ok...so he is excused but the reasons for others can ONLY be because of religion????? It's ok for Stalin but not others?

The Y chromosome argument is just as valid as blaming religion, especially since not all who are religious do these things either.

Can you tell me that Atheists can't be extremists too?????

Maybe it's not the person's beliefs that make them do it, but instead they hide behind it as an excuse
The Bible says witches should be burned . . . so if someone burns a person, calls them a witch and is Christian, then YES religion played an integral part in the situation, and without religion the situation would have NOT occurred.

Where does it say "witches should be burned" in the bible?

Could you provide the verse on that one?

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25