no photo
Mon 06/18/12 07:57 AM
Ive never agreed with hitch hiker laws. Danger is everywhere, learn to live in the environment. Paper protection is not enough.

no photo
Mon 06/18/12 07:11 AM
Massage . . . he is a typical creationist.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 03:17 PM

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3734

Cycles of Time
Posted on May 27, 2011 by woit

Today’s Wall Street Journal has a review I wrote of Sir Roger Penrose’s new book Cycles of Time. The review is aimed at a much wider audience than this blog, and is the product of substantial editing to get its length down and make it as readable as possible for as many people as possible, so here are some supplementary remarks.

I should make it clear that I’m not at all convinced by what Penrose is proposing. He needs the distant future of the universe to be conformally invariant, and this requires all particles to be massless. As far as we know the electron is completely stable, with unchanging mass, and this will always ruin conformal invariance. Penrose himself notes the problem. For this to be overcome, whatever our ultimate understanding is of how particles get mass must change so that these masses go to zero in the future. It’s also seems to me that the conformal anomaly of QCD will always be a problem, with quantization and the renormalization group always breaking conformal invariance and giving a mass scale, indefinitely far into the future.

The other main problem is the one shared by most “pre-big-bang” ideas: how do you ever test them? Penrose and a collaborator last year created a stir by claiming to see in the CMB patterns of the sort he argues might be expected from black hole decays late in an era before the Big Bang, but it’s not clear there’s a real prediction here, and others who have redone this analysis say they see nothing.

Attempts to get a Big Bang in our future as well as our past generally strike me as motivated by a very human desire to see in the global structure of the universe the same cyclic pattern of death and rebirth that govern human existence. To me though, deeper understanding of the universe leads to unexpected structures, fascinating precisely because of how alien they are to human concerns and experience. Just because we might find a cold, empty universe an unappealing future doesn’t mean that that’s not where things are headed.

The book is in many ways an unusual document. It includes an extensive appendix working out some of the details of the mathematics of his proposal. In some sense he has managed to get a trade publisher to put out a highly technical discussion of a speculative idea inside the covers of a popular book, instead of going the usual route of publishing this in a refereed journal. The only references I can find to other places where he has written some of this up are to chapters in this book and this one, as well as this contribution to a conference proceeding. The technical idea behind this, that the hypothesis of the vanishing of the Weyl curvature in the early universe leads to possible cosmological models that can be extended past the Big Bang singularity he attributes to this paper of K.P. Tod. There’s a nice recent exposition of this by Tod here.

So, I’m not convinced by the speculation about the far future, and for an evaluation of the ideas about extending back through the big bang singularity you’ll need someone more expert about cosmology than me. These topics are very clearly labeled in the book as speculative, without support from other physicists or any experimental evidence. The bulk of the book though is other material providing a background and context for the speculation, and it is this which I think makes it most valuable as a popular book. Penrose is a wonderful, elegant and clear writer, and he covers a lot of ground about physics beautifully here. Most remarkable are the illustrations, by far the best visual representations of a range of important ideas that I know of. Physicists and mathematicians work with lots of internal pictures in their minds representing important aspects of the concepts they are investigating, but very rarely do they have the technical skill to grasp some of the essence of these pictures and get them down on paper. Even more rarely do they make it into wide distribution in print, so I’m glad to see that happen here.
Penrose is well known for fringe speculation. If something like this pans out it would be world shattering, but that is the same with most of his ideas, he loves extraordinary ideas . . . sadly they usually have a lot of problems to overcome, so far he is striking out.

I have not looked very hard, but somewhere out there is some fairly good criticisms of the research paper linked in the OP, basically that they failed to rule out the concentric circles being caused by some other mundane source that would be within the universe or caused by inflation. Cant remember its been a while.

it's just like any other theory, one person "maps" it out, and others check that work and decide whether to agree with it or not. Since i have never really liked the big bang theory, and don't know the math to even try to disprove it, i rely on smarter people to try to figure it out. penrose has had the same ideas that i have thought of, so i like to read about his studies.
Fair enough, and I enjoy finding things to rationally disagree with!

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 12:04 PM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 12:04 PM
In fact as a supporter of 2A, and civil rights in general I am happy to see examples of people trying to claim SYG, or MMD laws and having the objective elements be shown to not exist.

That way we can show that self defense is more than just a way to murder and get away with it. (Not that this was really in question by anyone without a strong anti2a agenda, or the uninformed)

Self defense is a long standing tradition and well supported by common law, none of these events are new AT ALL.

Politics has recently picked back up the rhetoric, and the race baiting from Trayvon martin fed the media circus and got all the Anti-2a activists in a froth, but other than that this is all very normal proceedings from a legal stand point.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:56 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 11:58 AM

I Am glad you see my point

I agree that , in this case, merely stating an intent to harm isnt reason to fear,, but his lawyers apparently were arguing otherwise
That is what they are paid to do.

what I dont think you have addressed is how far 'reasonable' goes, does it only pertain to how a thing starts or does it pertain to the confrontation in entirety
Totality of the circumstances, not just how it starts or how it ends.

because certainly, once two people are in a confrontation that is physical, if ONE Has 'reasonable' fear of physical harm, BOTH do

and then, what determines the case
Again, totality of the circumstances. No two people get into a fight where both are either equally innocent, or both equally guilty. If ever such a thing happened Id be skeptical until shown it for myself.

or is any physical altercation in which either party could die automatically result in a 'pass' for the survivor?
No. Again, totality of the circumstances, which makes any kind of hypothetical either necessarily simple, or overly complex to have a quick conversation about.

Our justice system does the best it can with the evidence it can get collected by the police and no two circumstances are identical, which is why blanket laws cannot work. They must have standards, and elements which either match or do not match.

Reasonable is also often confused, it is not a simple matter of subjectivity of the jury.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:51 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 11:52 AM

Actually its called common law, and is established with thousands of documented cases.

Also the supreme court has ruled on this multiple times. Reasonable fear of death or great bodily injury is the standard and an obligation to retreat is Stupid, and not supported via anything other than arbitrary hand waving.

its not the vague wording that is finding objection

its the interpretation of it by some

'reasonable' is a fairly subjective standard , often left to juries

if I have a knife, after someone approaches me who has harmed me in the past

I may 'stand my ground' as they approach me, meaning not move from where I WAS before I encountered them

and I can CLAIM I had reasonable fear, but SO can they,, being I have a knife and they dont

but the REASON comes into who has the most opportunity to AVOID the confrontation in the first place, usually the person who initiates a contact that escalates into what could REASONABLY harm either party,,,
Anyone can claim anything even before, make my day, or SYG. The legal system is not to blame for liars. Evidence as always is the key.

Reasonable is the standard becuase no one can come up with every set of circumstances under which someone may need to defend themselves, so its absurd to try to make the law black and white.

YOU KNOW this, you just like playing with words and pretending to not know the differences to push your own political ideaology.
but the REASON comes into who has the most opportunity to AVOID the confrontation in the first place, usually the person who initiates a contact that escalates into what could REASONABLY harm either party,,,
You are going to have to do better than that to support a "flee to the wall" statue.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:45 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 11:46 AM

Rodriguez's reference to standing his ground is similar to the claim made by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who is citing Florida's stand-your-ground law in his defense in the fatal February shooting of an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin. Rodriguez's case, however, was decided under a different kind of self-defense doctrine.
Got to love the blank stare journalism, these are not even close in comparison.

This just offers up more evidence against the claims that stand your ground is ANY kind of license to kill.

The root element of any self defense is ALWAYS a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm determined by a totality of the circumstances.

there is that word 'reasonable' again

was it reasonable for the man to fear for his life if someone told him they were getting a gun to shoot him?

can 'words' make someone 'reasonably' fearful for their life?

and when is 'avoidance' reasonable during such a confrontation when 'retreat' is not mandatory for either party?
The jury deemed it was not reasonable. I agree with them. Not a single thing was done which would cause a normal person to fear for there life.

If someone said, "I am going to get my gun and come kill you". No that is not a reasonable threat becuase they do not have the means to immediately carry it out, they have to go get there gun.

I am, as always, impressed at your lack of legal understanding despite your professional experience.

Immediacy of the threat matters, as does the capability to carry out the threat.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:38 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 11:41 AM
Rodriguez's reference to standing his ground is similar to the claim made by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who is citing Florida's stand-your-ground law in his defense in the fatal February shooting of an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin. Rodriguez's case, however, was decided under a different kind of self-defense doctrine.
Got to love the blank stare journalism, these are not even close in comparison.

This just offers up more evidence against the claims that stand your ground is ANY kind of license to kill.

The root element of any self defense is ALWAYS a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm determined by a totality of the circumstances.

Even in Texas a reasonable fear is not something taken lightly. Being approached by a couple of guys who dont like you is not a deadly threat . . .

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:32 AM

That page couldn't be found but that looks like a bs site.
Why does it look like a BS site? Because it does not meet with your preconceived views?

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:30 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 11:31 AM
Blah blah blah blah blah.

If you want to take drugs recreationally do it on your own dime.

I think we ought to legalize drugs, but then make all such government benefits have such stipulations, that way you are rewarding productive members of society with complete freedoms.

Mooching off the system should have thresholds. I see no problem with requiring a person to meet those, very low, bars.

I agree also that politicians should be random drug tested . . . becuase I think many are WAAAAAAAAAY ****ed up.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 11:25 AM
Actually its called common law, and is established with thousands of documented cases.

Also the supreme court has ruled on this multiple times. Reasonable fear of death or great bodily injury is the standard and an obligation to retreat is Stupid, and not supported via anything other than arbitrary hand waving.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 07:33 AM

This should add some more fuel to the artificial moon argument. Could this curious find be more proof our moon is not natural, but manufactured? Let this broaden your horizons.

Any way you look it, this has some remarkable information about our amazing Universe that’s unfolding before us.

Nanoparticles found in moon glass bubbles explain weird lunar soil behaviour.

A stunning discovery by Queensland University of Technology soil scientist Marek Zbik of nanoparticles inside bubbles of glass in lunar soil could solve the mystery of why the moon’s surface topsoil has many unusual properties.

Dr Zbik, from Queensland University of Technology’s Science and Engineering Faculty, said scientists had long observed the strange behaviour of lunar soil but had not taken much notice of the nano and submicron particles found in the soil and their source was unknown.

Dr Zbik took the lunar soil samples to Taiwan where he could study the glass bubbles without breaking them using a new technique for studying nano materials call synchrotron-based nano tomography to look at the particles. Nano tomography is a transmission X-ray microscope which enables 3D images of nanoparticles to be made.

View a 3D image from inside the lunar bubble using transmission X-Ray microscopy. You can see what is inside the lunar bubble with 3D glasses.

“We were really surprised at what we found,” Dr Zbik said.

“Instead of gas or vapour inside the bubbles, which we would expect to find in such bubbles on Earth, the lunar glass bubbles were filled with a highly porous network of alien-looking glassy particles that span the bubbles’ interior.

“It appears that the nanoparticles are formed inside bubbles of molten rocks when meteorites hit the lunar surface. Then they are released when the glass bubbles are pulverised by the consequent bombardment of meteorites on the moon’s surface.

“This continuous pulverising of rocks on the lunar surface and constant mixing develop a type of soil which is unknown on Earth.”

Dr Zbik said nanoparticles behaved according to the laws of quantum physics which were completely different from so called ‘normal’ physics’ laws. Because of this, materials containing nanoparticles behave strangely according to our current understanding.

“Nanoparticles are so tiny, it is their size and not what they are made of that accounts for their exceptional properties.

“We don’t understand a lot about quantum physics yet but it could be that these nanoparticles, when liberated from their glass bubble, mix with the other soil constituents and give lunar soil its unusual properties.

“Lunar soil is electro-statically charged so it hovers above the surface; it is extremely chemically active; and it has low thermal conductivity eg it can be 160 degrees above the surface but -40 degrees two metres below the surface.

“It is also very sticky and brittle such that its particles wear the surface off metal and glass.” (Source)http://phys.org/news/2012-06-nanoparticles-moon-glass-weird-lunar.html
Ok . . . and why does this support the argument for a artificial moon?

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 07:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fGkFuHIu0

Please watch this a few thousand times. Maybe it will sink in eventually.

no photo
Fri 06/15/12 07:25 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Fri 06/15/12 07:27 AM
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=3734

Cycles of Time
Posted on May 27, 2011 by woit

Today’s Wall Street Journal has a review I wrote of Sir Roger Penrose’s new book Cycles of Time. The review is aimed at a much wider audience than this blog, and is the product of substantial editing to get its length down and make it as readable as possible for as many people as possible, so here are some supplementary remarks.

I should make it clear that I’m not at all convinced by what Penrose is proposing. He needs the distant future of the universe to be conformally invariant, and this requires all particles to be massless. As far as we know the electron is completely stable, with unchanging mass, and this will always ruin conformal invariance. Penrose himself notes the problem. For this to be overcome, whatever our ultimate understanding is of how particles get mass must change so that these masses go to zero in the future. It’s also seems to me that the conformal anomaly of QCD will always be a problem, with quantization and the renormalization group always breaking conformal invariance and giving a mass scale, indefinitely far into the future.

The other main problem is the one shared by most “pre-big-bang” ideas: how do you ever test them? Penrose and a collaborator last year created a stir by claiming to see in the CMB patterns of the sort he argues might be expected from black hole decays late in an era before the Big Bang, but it’s not clear there’s a real prediction here, and others who have redone this analysis say they see nothing.

Attempts to get a Big Bang in our future as well as our past generally strike me as motivated by a very human desire to see in the global structure of the universe the same cyclic pattern of death and rebirth that govern human existence. To me though, deeper understanding of the universe leads to unexpected structures, fascinating precisely because of how alien they are to human concerns and experience. Just because we might find a cold, empty universe an unappealing future doesn’t mean that that’s not where things are headed.

The book is in many ways an unusual document. It includes an extensive appendix working out some of the details of the mathematics of his proposal. In some sense he has managed to get a trade publisher to put out a highly technical discussion of a speculative idea inside the covers of a popular book, instead of going the usual route of publishing this in a refereed journal. The only references I can find to other places where he has written some of this up are to chapters in this book and this one, as well as this contribution to a conference proceeding. The technical idea behind this, that the hypothesis of the vanishing of the Weyl curvature in the early universe leads to possible cosmological models that can be extended past the Big Bang singularity he attributes to this paper of K.P. Tod. There’s a nice recent exposition of this by Tod here.

So, I’m not convinced by the speculation about the far future, and for an evaluation of the ideas about extending back through the big bang singularity you’ll need someone more expert about cosmology than me. These topics are very clearly labeled in the book as speculative, without support from other physicists or any experimental evidence. The bulk of the book though is other material providing a background and context for the speculation, and it is this which I think makes it most valuable as a popular book. Penrose is a wonderful, elegant and clear writer, and he covers a lot of ground about physics beautifully here. Most remarkable are the illustrations, by far the best visual representations of a range of important ideas that I know of. Physicists and mathematicians work with lots of internal pictures in their minds representing important aspects of the concepts they are investigating, but very rarely do they have the technical skill to grasp some of the essence of these pictures and get them down on paper. Even more rarely do they make it into wide distribution in print, so I’m glad to see that happen here.
Penrose is well known for fringe speculation. If something like this pans out it would be world shattering, but that is the same with most of his ideas, he loves extraordinary ideas . . . sadly they usually have a lot of problems to overcome, so far he is striking out.

I have not looked very hard, but somewhere out there is some fairly good criticisms of the research paper linked in the OP, basically that they failed to rule out the concentric circles being caused by some other mundane source that would be within the universe or caused by inflation. Cant remember its been a while.

no photo
Thu 06/14/12 02:29 PM
I will have to find it, but there is a lot of good criticism for this study. The method used does not rule out some very mundane causes was the gist I got from the criticisms.

Hmmm, which set of physics blogs was that on now . . .

no photo
Thu 06/14/12 02:25 PM

Chromosome 2 presents very strong evidence in favour of the common descent of humans and other apes. According to researcher J. W. IJdo, "We conclude that the locus cloned in cosmids c8.1 and c29B is the relic of an ancient telomere-telomere fusion and marks the point at which two ancestral ape chromosomes fused to give rise to human chromosome 2."

No its not absolute proof, utter nonsense!

If two different organisms, thereafter start to show more differences (eg fused chromosome), does nothing to prove they were once the same organism.

More hand waving.

no photo
Thu 06/14/12 06:46 AM
Interesting.

no photo
Thu 06/14/12 06:42 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Thu 06/14/12 06:43 AM
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/IIIE5bNeutraltheory.shtml It does not mean what you think it means . . . this is a theme.

no photo
Tue 06/12/12 02:10 PM

Most of those links are like watching David Copperfield and expecting him to show you the details of the trick . . . it isn't going to happen.

Real science can be summarized, and the sources can be easily defined.

Which must be why you haven't shown ONE study that supports your position...

Go figure... whoa

Your claim, your burden. So right back at ya bud!

no photo
Tue 06/12/12 12:11 PM
Most of those links are like watching David Copperfield and expecting him to show you the details of the trick . . . it isn't going to happen.

Real science can be summarized, and the sources can be easily defined.