Community > Posts By > Cynical_One

no photo
Sun 02/21/10 01:46 AM
yeah I mind... also dislike babe and sweetheart

no photo
Sun 09/13/09 08:54 PM
*warning long read*

Usually, the same way it has traditionally been defined in all cultures: by a lack of vital signs. Most world religions lack a clear doctrinal statement that certifies when, exactly, the moment of death can be said to have occurred. For most of human history, there was no need for one since prior to the invention of life-support equipment, the absence of circulation or respiration was the only way to diagnose death. This remains the standard of death in most religions. By the early 1980s, however, the medical and legal community also began to adopt a second definition of death—the irreversible cessation of all brain functions—and some religious groups have updated their beliefs.

Jewish arguments both for and against accepting brain death can be found in the Talmud. Some strands of Talmudic law hold that those who have been decapitated or had their necks broken are considered dead, even if their bodies continue to move—an argument that many take as proof that total loss of brain function counts as death.

Christians who ardently support the traditional circulatory-respiratory definition of death tend to be fundamentalists or evangelicals. They may point to Leviticus 17:11, which states that "the life of the flesh is in the blood," or Genesis 2:7, which describes how God "formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." Most mainstream Protestant groups in the United States accept brain death as a valid criterion for death, as does the Roman Catholic Church, though that ruling is not without controversy.

In 1986, the Academy of Islamic Jurisprudence—a group of legal experts convened by the Organization of the Islamic Conference—issued an opinion stating that a person should be considered legally dead when either "complete cessation of the heart or respiration occurs" or "complete cessation of all functions of the brain occurs." In both cases, "expert physicians" must ascertain that the condition is irreversible.

In 2006, the family of a Buddhist man in Boston who had been declared legally brain-dead argued that, because his heart was still beating, his spirit and consciousness still lingered and that removing him from life support would be akin to killing him. In a Boston Globe article about the case, a professor of Buddhism explained that, within Tibetan Buddhism, a person has multiple levels of consciousness, which may or may not correspond with brain activity.

which do you agree with and why?

no photo
Sun 09/13/09 08:33 PM
do you identify with your middle name?

does it mean anything to you besides when someone uses it when you're "in trouble"

Or do you prefer being called by your "second" name?

no photo
Sun 09/13/09 04:25 PM
We all have personal values and social priorities, the things we enjoy in and need from other people ie. loyalty, honesty, generosity

But if you only had to pick one, just one key thing that you could demand from all the people around you, what would it be?

no photo
Sun 09/13/09 03:56 PM
I don't consider most things to be truly unforgivable, because I hate hypocrisy and would hate to betray myself by saying I can't do something and then do another.

no photo
Sun 09/13/09 03:51 PM
after a coworker leaves for the day take their office supplies and wrap them up... it takes a while and is fun the next day when they have to sit and open everything.

no photo
Sun 09/06/09 06:47 PM

I want love. I want the kind of love where a man has a fire in his heart....burning, seething, aching fire of love. That is what I would give back to him.

wouldn't that be nice...