Community > Posts By > Tall_Texan

Tall_Texan's photo
Sat 10/03/09 10:55 PM
Yes, I was specifically speaking of Cowboy Poetry. Free verse is quite old (though structured forms are far older) and has become more popular in (relatively) recent times, but Cowboy Poetry as a specific art form uses only structured forms, although any rhyme scheme and cadence can be used.

Tall_Texan's photo
Sat 10/03/09 01:07 PM
Edited by Tall_Texan on Sat 10/03/09 01:09 PM
Grins,
an excellent piece of verse Wench, thanks for sharing it!
And lest you get the wrong idea, I enjoy essays, storytelling, etc, I just don't call them poetry, because they aren't. One of my pards, who is a past president of the Texas Cowboy Poetry Association doubles as a storyteller, and one of his most popular stories is the tale of Henry Harrison Poe, and the murder Steer. Not a rhyme in sight, and it makes no difference whatever to it being a great story (and a way to sneak a little history in to an unsuspecting audience)
But you do bring up a good point. While the name of the thread is Cowboy Poetry, Western stories and essays are also welcome and appreciated!

Tall_Texan's photo
Sat 10/03/09 11:25 AM
Am around but about to head out. I'm playing down in Waxahachie tonight with Don Edwards. If there's any Cowboy Music fans here, we'll be at the Texas Theatre, 110 Main st Waxahachie tonight.

happy

Tall_Texan's photo
Sat 10/03/09 11:20 AM
Major Bat-fan here. I grew up on the comics, and have loved every series, from Adam West all the way up through the brave and the bold.
I've even impersonated Batman at a few events. (kinda strange I know as Batman is 6'1, and I'm 6'8) Long live the bat!

Tall_Texan's photo
Sat 10/03/09 12:54 AM

Now I have that LOne Ranger song stuck in my head

you're a bit young to relate, but when I was a kid, the common description of someone who was "cultured" was somebody who could listen to the William Tell Overture, and not think of The Lone Ranger. If that's true, the only culture I have is bacterial! :banana:

Tall_Texan's photo
Sat 10/03/09 12:49 AM

Eh-hm, all cowboy poetry does not rhyme - I believe your describing Dr. Seuss.

I invite you to visit any Cowboy Poetry gathering, or read some of the work on Cowboypoetry.com. You'll find that Ryhme and meter are common to all Cowboy Poetry. Now there are many Western Story Tellers who use visual imagery, and spin a darn good yarn, but it is not Poetry.

Tall_Texan's photo
Fri 10/02/09 02:52 PM
Tonto work for Kimosabe for 30 years...Tonto no longer have job because him find out what Kimosabe mean!

Tall_Texan's photo
Fri 10/02/09 02:44 PM
Have fun, drive safe, and watch out for the idiots that don't.

Tall_Texan's photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:56 AM
thread bump :-)

Tall_Texan's photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:30 AM
MIB was right...Elvis IS an alien!

Tall_Texan's photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:28 AM
Curves are great, attitude to go with those curves is even better. Nothing is better than a cuddle from a curvy girl who delights in plastering every square inch of those curves against you :-)

Tall_Texan's photo
Fri 10/02/09 11:05 AM
Waves at everyone, hi y'all

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 07:07 PM
Single

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:55 PM
Grins broadly, hey, she started it! :-P

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:46 PM

UPDATE: I've just received a report that a zebra-striped thong was found dangling from a telephone wire somewhere off Route 66...inconclusive results were obtained from the DNA testing, but it is this reporter's opinion that they do, in fact, belong to the missing woman... Bloodhounds were let loose in the area, but they immediately starting gagging & vomiting...perhaps as a result of cosmic cooties. We, at the newsroom are still confident that Tami will be found whole & unharmed & hopefully intact...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

UGH! Who blew up the page? Half my stuff didn't come out! :angry:

Cosmic cooties are not a good sign. Damn space herpes.........noway

LOL, nice Ice Pirates refferences, score one for the siloffefer

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:45 PM
Wild Horses

See him open his stride, as he chases the sun
Heart and hooves making thunder on the plains
The King of the prairie, a symbol of freedom
Wild as the wind that blows through his mane

Of proud Spanish blood, the old world’s finest
With Cortez he sailed on the Spanish Main
Served Conquistadors down south of the border
Then cross the wide river to Texas he came

Still called by the Spanish name El Cimmaron
Mestengo, or Mustang as he came to be known
Friend to the Cowboy, and also the Indian
Sire of the Dun, and Strawberry Roan

Like Earthquake or Cyclone, Fire or Flood
They’re one of The West’s primal forces
May God in His mercy, from Heaven above
Grant there always shall be Wild Horses

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:41 PM

ok toots, have you been 8 since 69? :-P

Heheheh I know he is talking about you and not me noway noway

For shame for shame Buck talking like that in my thread noway hummm ya know I hang guys for less then that in here...........

Trying to resist the temptation...failing...
Then I guess I'll be well hung!flowerforyou

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:31 PM
Howdy Vivian,
well, if you're interested, do what the rest of us do...rehearse in public!

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:29 PM
Purty good, how bout y'all?

Tall_Texan's photo
Thu 10/01/09 06:27 PM
ok toots, have you been 8 since 69? :-P

Previous 1 3