Community > Posts By > chefschool

chefschool's photo
Mon 04/26/10 11:41 PM
I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing cruize to alaska in june will be wonderful to get away after this first year in a new career wish you all could come

:smile:

chefschool's photo
Mon 04/26/10 11:05 PM
Hey I have a good quick easy recipe for one try it out and let me know what you think. OK?

Cheddar and Leek Soup Makes 1 QT of Soup
Whole butter 1/2 oz
Mirepoix, chopped fine 1/4 lb (4 oz so 2 oz onion 1 oz each carrot and celery) one carrot one stick of celery and quarter to half onion
Leeks, chopped fine 1/4 lb
Flour 1 oz
Chicken stock 3/4 qt
Sachet:
Bay leaf 1/2
Dried thyme 1/8 tsp
Peppercorns, crushed 1/8 tsp

Dry white wine or flat beer 1/4 cup (Opt. if you don't drink)
Half-and-half 1/4 cup
Cheddar cheese, grated 1/2 lb (not craft singles) need a good cheese
Salt t.t. (t.t.=To Tast)
Cayenne pepper t.t.
Fresh parsley, chopped,for garnish as needed
Croutons,for garnish as needed

Methods
1. Sweat the mirepoix and leeks in the butter until tender.
2. Stir in the flour and cook to make a blond roux.
3. Add the stock and the wine or beer plus the half/half. Simmer for 1 hour, about. Add the cheese after taking the soup off the fire. Stir cheese until melted. Just reheat until very warm. DO NOT BOIL or the cheese will separate.
4. Strain; adjust seasonings with salt and cayenne pepper. Thin with additional warm half-and-half, if necessary.
5. Serve in warm bowls, garnished with parsley and croutons.

chefschool's photo
Fri 04/23/10 01:27 PM
26 starting a new career live in nothern utah like ogden- bountiful area

chefschool's photo
Fri 04/23/10 01:19 PM
i'm relly glad to hear this in my line of work I come across alot of people that don't know simple things like how to make muffins or use veggies i'm very glad to hear that some people know these thing and would rather cook then eat out of cardboard

thanks for the reasurance

chefschool's photo
Sun 04/18/10 10:38 PM
I think its a sad day when we have microwave dinner in place of a wonderful and healthy meal that could be done in under a hour or so don't you?

Chicken Curry
Onions, small dice 8 oz
Garlic, crushed 2 tsp
Ghee or clarified butter 2 tbsp
Wet masala:
Fresh ginger, fine dice 2 oz
Turmeric 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds, ground 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds, ground 1 tsp l
Cayenne pepper 1 tsp
Fenugreek, ground 1/2 tsp
Coconut milk 20 fl oz

Roasting chicken, 3 lb. (1.3 kg), cut into 8 pieces
Salt 1 tsp 5
Green chiles, slit lengthwise 3
Lemon juice 1 fl oz

Methods
1. Stir-fry the onions and garlic in the ghee until the onions are golden brown.
2. To make the wet masala, mix the ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper and fenugreek; add just enough of the coconut milk to form a paste.
3. Add the wet masala to the onions and stir-fry for 8 minutes.
4. Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning them frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Add the remaining coconut milk, salt and chiles. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the chicken is done, approximately 45 minutes.
6. Just before service, stir in the lemon juice and adjust the seasonings. Serve with Saffron Rice (See recipe) and a chutney.

chefschool's photo
Sat 04/17/10 11:22 PM
Ok whats more sexy a well payed machinest or a low payed chef?

chefschool's photo
Sat 04/17/10 11:13 PM
there are just not in the U.S.A. go to Japan and you can buy anthing and everyting you ever wante out of a machine . . . but hey lets never make food again and live off of corn products and supplemets

chefschool's photo
Sat 04/17/10 11:10 PM
wow what have we become when we cant even cook are own chicken?

chefschool's photo
Fri 02/26/10 11:36 AM
wow hard question it differs in perperation and what it will be served with most people stem them but you can do lots more like poaching it or boiling it with garlic or on occasion bake it in a pot pie if you just making it to eat with some veggies or someting siple I would have to recomend poaching it in what is called a court bouillon (court bowel-an) any way its a simple liquid that is made up of a fish stock parsley lemons and salt you can add any othere simple herbs to it if you use them in the rest of the dish but you bring the water up to about 160-180 and cook the crab untill done most will take the leggs and shoulder off the rest of the shell and cook it that way or if you buy it at a store its already done for you hope this helps

chefschool's photo
Fri 02/26/10 11:25 AM
sorry i've not been on super bussy but thats no reason
ya fruit would work but if you do add a juicey one i would not do it tell it come out of the oven and into the fridge it will work alot better

chefschool's photo
Fri 02/26/10 11:21 AM
you must have not tried them. . . there aculty amazing its called poutine
its a french and canadian cuzine well minus the veggies but if you have not tried them i would recomend it

Chef
Trent

chefschool's photo
Wed 02/03/10 03:37 PM
raspberry, blue, or stawberry's would be great one othere thing would be sliced peaches or a fruit with a smaller amount of moister but you add it after it was cooked becaus if you get water in it, it will not set properly

chefschool's photo
Thu 01/28/10 08:29 PM
CREME BRULEE

Yields: 3 1/2 qt ( 3.50 l )

-Ingredients-
Heavy cream 2 qt (2 l)
Vanilla beans, split 2
Egg yolks 33 oz 50 ea (990 g)
Granulated sugar 20 oz (600 g)
Fresh berries as needed
Tulipe Cookie cups (see recipe) as needed
Granulated sugar as needed

-Methods-
1)1 Place the cream and the vanilla beans in a large, heavy saucepan. Heat just to a boil.
2)2 Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth and well blended.
3)3 Temper the egg mixture with one-third of the hot cream. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until very thick. Do not allow the custard to boil.
4)4 Remove from the heat and strain into a clean bowl. Cool over an ice bath, stirring occasionally.
5)5 To serve, place fresh berries in the bottom of each Tulipe Cookie cup. Top with several spoonfuls of custard.
6)6 Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of the custard and caramelize with a propane torch. Serve immediately.

there are many combinations of things you can do with this basic recipe after you get it down like adding slices of fresh fruit on top or useing lime juice in place of vanilla it realy up to you but if you so happen to come up with a good veraiton i would love to try it so post back here

chefschool's photo
Thu 01/21/10 10:07 PM
sounds good i'll try it this week and let you know what I think

chefschool's photo
Thu 01/21/10 10:01 PM
with Chipotle Purée and Avocado
RECIPE 27.9

Yields: 1 serving

-Ingredients-
Whole-grain bread 2 slice
Monterey Jack with peppers 2 slice
Chipotle Puree (recipe follows) 1 tsp (5 ml)
Creme fraiche 1 tbsp (15 ml)can use sour cream but its one cup heavy cream at room temp and one tbsp of butter milk let sit over night coverd tell it becomes thick
Avocado, sliced thin 2 oz (60 g)
Red onion, sliced thin 3 oz (15 g)
Fresh cilantro leaves 1 tbsp (15 ml)
Whole butter, soft 1 oz (30 g)

Chipotle puree
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 7 oz
1. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth

-Methods-
1) Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese. Spread each slice with half of the Chipotle Puree and half of the creme fraiche.
2) Arrange the avocado slices, onion slices and cilantro leaves on one slice of the bread. Close the sandwich and press together lightly.
3) Butter the top slice of bread and place the sandwich, butter side down, on a hot griddle. Carefully butter the second slice of bread.
4) Griddle the sandwich, turning once when the first side is well browned. The sandwich is done when both sides are well browned and the cheese is melted.
5) Cut the sandwich in half diagonally and arrange as desired for service.

-Notes-
Approximate values per sandwich: Calories 730, Total fat 55 g, Saturated fat 28 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Sodium 800 mg, Total carbohydrates 35 g, Protein 24 g, Vitamin A 45%, Calcium 60%

Try it and let me know if you liked it

chefschool's photo
Thu 01/21/10 09:54 PM
Chutney Chicken Salad
Recipe 25.6 Method: Bound Mise en Place Cook chicken and chill. Wash and peel celery and chop into small dice. Wash and slice green onions.

Yields: 2 lb ( 0.90 kg )

-Ingredients-
Chicken meat, cooked 1 1/4 lb (0.55 kg)
Celery, small dice 2 oz (63 g)
Green onions, sliced 3/4 oz (23 g)
Mango chutney 3 oz (90 g)
Mayonnaise 1/4 lb (125 g)
Seedless grapes 3 oz (90 g)

-Methods-
1) Remove any bones, skin and fat from the chicken and cut the meat into large dice.
2) Combine the chicken meat, celery, green onions, mango chutney and mayonnaise in a bowl; mix well.
3) Cut the grapes in half. Add them to the chicken mixture and toss gently to combine.

-Notes-
Approximate values per 4-oz. (120-g) serving: Calories 230, Total fat 14 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Sodium 135 mg, Total carbohydrates 4 g, Protein 22 g

chefschool's photo
Mon 01/18/10 09:39 AM
Edited by chefschool on Mon 01/18/10 10:30 AM
Couscous Salad
RECIPE 25.45 Method: Bound

Yields: 3 lb ( 1.40 kg )

-Ingredients-
Couscous 6 oz (180 g)
Red bell pepper, medium dice 1
Green bell pepper, medium dice 1
Green onions, sliced on the bias 1 (45 deg angle across the onion length-wise)
Cucumbers, peeled, seeded, medium dice 6 oz (180 g)
Black olives, pitted 4 oz (120 g) (sliced to desiard thickness)
Red onion, julienne 6 oz (180 g)(Thin Slices acrost the oinion)
Dressing:
Orange juice concentrate 3 fl oz (90 ml)
Water 2 fl oz (60 ml)
Rice vinegar 2 fl oz (60 ml)
Garlic, chopped 1 tsp (5 ml)
Salt 1 tsp (5 ml)
Black pepper 1 tsp (5 ml)
Fresh oregano, chopped 2 tsp (10 ml)
Salad oil 3 fl oz (90 ml)(olive or a good neutral flavored oil)
Honey 2 tbsp (30 ml)
Fresh thyme, chopped 2 tsp (10 ml) (if you use dry use 1tsp and let set for 5-10 minutes befor using)

-Methods-
1) Steam the couscous until tender; set aside to cool.
2) Combine the couscous with the vegetables.
3) Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
4) Combine the salad ingredients with the dressing. Chill thoroughly before serving.

-Notes-
Approximate values per 3-oz. (90-g) serving: Calories 90, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 200 mg, Total carbohydrates 7 g, Protein 1 g, Vitamin C 35%, Claims-low saturated fat; no cholesterol

you Should scale it down so divid everyting by half or by 4 and try it because the orignal makes alot but hey if you need a lot its good like for a party

TRY IT AND Let ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK THANKS CHEFSCHOOL

NEXT WEEKS RECIPE WILL BE CREME BRULEE