Community > Posts By > Unknow

no photo
Tue 11/30/21 09:53 PM
My step dad was a carpenter and taught me a lot of good skills like how to work with wood and build things. He also taught me how to take care of the car from checking oil to pumping tires to troubleshooting codes. But he has passed away and I had no one to teach these 'man skills' to my son. So I decided to do it myself. There were things I could do and I showed him how, like painting and drywall. There were other things that I couldn't do so we watched youtube videos and tried to figure things out, like how to change the light bulb on a car.
We built a shed together, wired it and installed power boxes. We planted a garden and took care of plants. We planted trees and made wood boxes for flowers.
One day my son told me that he chose a construction class at school and I was really happy about it. They learned about shop safety, how to use tools, how to cut wood etc. They made some wood boxes and other small projects. Now, he's taking his second class and he's having fun doing it. I'm trying to include him in everything I do and he's becoming my helper. And hopefully, he'll gain something while doing it. I read a lot of books about these things too, it's my natural interest lol.
I see some dads having their sons around in the shop teaching them all kinds of things and passing their knowledge down to them. I don't have that. But I can still give him some basics and help him feel good about his skills. :)