Community > Posts By > fobroth

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/20/11 03:09 PM
Edited by fobroth on Wed 04/20/11 03:09 PM

Texting will be obsolete.

We will all have chips in our heads and we will be able to plug into a main frame computer and surf the web just by closing our eyes.

The web images will be projected inside our brains and all around us. We will be able to enter virtual societies and interact with our avatar bodies with each other.

That 50 year old 400 pound fat guy who calls himself "Tracy" will actually look like a 14 year old girl as you ravish him/her in your virtual cyberspace bedroom.

eeewwwembarassed

But then;

The 'human' race will always exist somewhere. It does not have to be on this tiny planet. But the manifestation of an infinite intelligence will always lead to humanity of some kind.

Wow! Jeanniebean! I think I love you! bigsmile

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/20/11 03:00 PM

in a few hundred years there will be no human race...JMHO..

I tend to agree. A few hundred years is optimistic. Among many other things, there are particular strains of stupid running rampant around the world, right now. One can throw facts, logic and/ or plain common sense at the stupidity and it has no effect.
I know it sounds pessimistic but I think we're doomed.

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/20/11 02:42 PM
I drive for a living and it's astounding, the amount of people I see monkeying around with their phones.

Has anyone else noticed more marks from cars running off into ditches the last bunch of years?

And I'm surprised there hasn't been anyone in here, yet, defending that they are such good drivers and 'texters' that it isn't a safety issue for them. (because they're special?)

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/20/11 02:28 PM

How about giving BJ while driving, is that legal??? Tricky yes, but what are the legalities here???

If you want to research this in a real life situation, I'll pick you up at your convenience. We'll drive by a cop and see what happens. I'll even split the ticket with you, if it turns out to be illegal.pitchfork (The devil made me do it)

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/20/11 01:59 PM

I think it's a new language laugh but seems like some sort of mating signal rofl

Ha!

Silly, old people. He's merely saying hello to any single girls that might happen across this post and is inviting them to contact him so that he might take them out for an ice cream cone and a walk along the beach, while holding her hand.
Doesn't anyone have a dictionary, anymore?
whoa

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/20/11 12:51 PM

I personally didn't do anything. When I installed the OS, it installed that driver out of default I guess.

scared
Not sure if there's any recovering from a haunted installation. You may need an excorcist (maybe not just for the computer, but for safety's sake in general?).

I'll leave you with some study material, in case you are mistaken about ubuntu forcing the nvidia driver by default or are willing to tackle the demons yourself.

1) This is some info about repositories. It's essential to know, if you are using a modern linux;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

2) This goes into accelerated video drivers, which all the new people have to have in order to see the eye candy;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

It's important to read and digest the above material and not dive in willynilly, lest you feed the demons, not drive them away.

God speed, my friend.

fobroth's photo
Mon 04/18/11 10:02 AM
Let's start from the top;

What did you do, in the first place, to install that nvidia driver?

fobroth's photo
Sat 04/16/11 12:00 AM
If things aren't too borked over there, I really don't understand how you 'locked yourself in' to an nvidia driver. That's not the one your card is using. Even the generic nv driver won't work with that ati card. (there is a different driver loaded)

Issue 'lsmod' and look for video drivers. I bet it's 'vga' or 'ati'.

> under system/administration where you change the settings, it automatically has "Nvidia X server settings

Look harder for something else.
Again, I won't subject myself to ubunto, so I don't know the exact menu item.

If you really want to persue this from where you're at, post your lsmod. I'll try to remember to tune in tomorrow. I'd like to see what vid driver is loaded. And do 'X -configure' so you have a config file to work with.

fobroth's photo
Fri 04/15/11 09:00 PM
If you get to a gui, can't you remove the nvidia driver through some administation section in the menu? (Or activate a different driver? I won't use ubunto, so I'm not sure exactly where it's at)
You could, also, manually remove the nvidia drivers using a package manager or apt-get.

Actually, if you don't have anything to lose on that install, start over. If you were jumping through hoops to try and force that nvidia driver to work, it might not be a bad idea. (you never really told us what you did)

fobroth's photo
Thu 04/14/11 02:40 PM
Edited by fobroth on Thu 04/14/11 02:49 PM
Hey Cowboy,

Yup, that would explain why the nvidia drivers did you no good ;) At least you're a little farther than b4.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.x.log are files, not commands. xorg.conf is the Xserver configuration file and the Xorg.x.log is the log file that was created the last time you started (or tried to start) X. It can hold some valuable diagnostic info.

Ubunto has their own way of installing proprietary drivers, so I wouldn't recommend manual install.
Check out the link that RainbowTrout gave you. Probably be just what you need.

Post back and let us know how it's going.
Good luck!

I took a look at that link- It's how to get the open source driver working, which might not be a bad idea to start with. It should be the easiest way to get you some accelerated features. You can worry about the proprietary driver down the road when you're comfortable with what's going on, and if you think you really need it.

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/13/11 08:25 PM
Edited by fobroth on Wed 04/13/11 08:31 PM
Can you share some of the Japanese messages?
The config file it speaks of is likely /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You might find some helpful info in /var/log/Xorg.x.log

What does 'lspci | grep controller' say?
How bout 'lsmod | grep nvidia' ?

It's hard to tell what's going on without more info.

Issue those commands at a shell prompt (gnome terminal?)

fobroth's photo
Wed 04/13/11 07:55 PM
If this means anything to you, swap area is kinda the same as the virtual memory when you are using windohs. Linux is so much better at memory management that swap (in todays beefy machines) can sit untouched in your linux environment.
If you want to hibernate your machine, you'll need swap space. If you want to catch a runaway process, swap space can be beneficial. If your machine has to start swapping memory pages, you want the device to be a lot faster than a zip drive!
Maybe use your zip drive for a common directory for downloads, documents or some such.
With all the hdd space you got going on over there, 16gb is a drop in the bucket for a reliable swap area... or grab a pos 20gb hdd and dedicate it to swap. Done!

fobroth's photo
Tue 04/05/11 06:41 PM
Something to keep in mind whilst you're out there shopping; you could get a simple phone for calls and a usb cell modem for data/ web that you can plug into a mini or laptop.
I know several railroaders that do that and used to fraternise with a trucker babe that had it.
I'm sorry I can't tell you what providers they have but it should expand your options beyond surfing on a tiny screen. And, as long as your recipients have skype, there are no phone minutes used up.
And don't feed the lizards!

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/31/11 11:10 PM
The open source community is finally making a play for the 'big dog' position! It's armageddon! Linux is making a play against M$!!
It's code named 'The Canterbury Project' and formed by the heads of Debian, Gentoo, Arch, Grml and openSUSE.

A snippet from the news release;

Canterbury is a merge of the efforts of the community distributions formerly known as Debian, Gentoo, Grml, openSUSE and Arch Linux to produce a really unified effort and be able to stand up in a combined effort against proprietary operating systems, to show off that the Free Software community is actually able to work together for a common goal instead of creating more diversity.

You can read more about it here;

http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401

Keep in mind, I'm not the one you're gonna want to kick in the pants. I'm just the messenger ;-)

fobroth's photo
Tue 03/29/11 06:33 PM
If you want to learn about what's under the hood, gentoo is a good learning experience. I used it for a few years, up to shortly after drobbins left. That's been a while ago, now, but I still see people saying that they still have a good forum for when you break it. (yes, you [italic]will[/italic] break it :-)
It could make a neat project for one of your many laptops you got over there laugh As long as you have another main box, it won't be frustrating when it breaks. A 'take your time, have fun and learn' kind of thing.

I took the hard drive out and jammed it back in. Then it worked.

rofl
Sometimes ya gotta let em know who's boss!

Cheers!

fobroth's photo
Tue 03/29/11 06:01 PM
Get mommy or daddy to thaw the deep freeze.
Babies shouldn't be monkeyin around with that stuff!winking

fobroth's photo
Sun 03/27/11 06:19 AM

There are many reasons that they could not show. Browser settings, server settings, cache settings, privacy settings... I know that when I'm at work, pictures I can see on my home computer are x'd out on my work computer because they don't meet the criteria set forth my the networks protocols. It could be something as simple as the server that stores said picture is jacked up and the browser cannot find the picture, or something as complicated as network settings that are controlled by a network administrator to prevent the viewing of certain files which they deem potentially harmful to thier network. In the end it will come down to settings of some sort, just have to find the point of failure.

One of the better replies.
It could very well be a security issue but not knowing what sites and pics are being blocked, it's hard to tell. When you right clik and ask to load the image, you are probably instructing to avoid a block and load the image. There are many, many issues that might be in play; simple security misconfiguration up to cross-site script blocking.
Candidly, if you are surfing wired news, cnn, history channel and not getting pics, it's probably a misconfig. If your pr0n isn't showing up, it's for a reason ;)
cheers!

fobroth's photo
Sun 03/27/11 05:49 AM
That's cool, man. Just didn't want to stand here and not say anything while you were looking for something that wasn't there.

Thats all true, and distro hopping is a hobby for some. I used to do it for the fun of doing it - not with any notion that it was a time efficient way of experiencing the world of linux software.

Yeah, I read it every day- folks sizing up different distros... and enjoying it noway Like I said above, though, I just wanted to throw 2 cents in, in case he might have been hunting for something that was going to be a 'fix' for something that wasn't to his liking, when he could just tweak a file or two or grab some firmware, etc.
Maybe this is one of those times my nose got to where it wasn't supposed to be. It was with good intentions.

fobroth's photo
Fri 03/25/11 05:58 AM
Now that I'm being a dick, I'd better post this;

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/exotic-linux-distros-can-come-in-handy/6205307

fobroth's photo
Fri 03/25/11 05:45 AM
I've seen a lot of the country and Iowa's Mississippi river valley is in the top 5 of my favorite places. (aside from the winters here)
There's no place like home ;)