Community > Posts By > fobroth

fobroth's photo
Sun 11/21/10 09:09 PM
kylekk262 said:<quote> if only Linux could offer the security windows does then Linux would own the market. </quote>
shocked
Oh, dude... linux is WAY more secure than windohs.rofl
It's more secure, stable and versatile than windohs.
Linux doesn't 'own the market' because most people; don't know how, are too afraid or are too stupid to install an operating system for themselves. As well as; linux rarely comes pre-installed on home computers and there is no big linux marketing department, so many people aren't even aware of an alternative to miker$oft products.

On the other hand, I think you'd be surprised with how many of the websites you visit are served from a linux machine(s). The main reason is security and stability. Webmasters need their machines to serve their sites. Not waste time and resources on malware scanners and be offline because of crashes or rebooting every other day.
There are many electronic devices using embedded linuxes. That list is is growing rapidly. My bigscreen tv is linux driven, for an example.

And it's true there are journaling file systems for linux. There are other file systems to choose from, depending on your needs. XFS, for example, is an excellent choice for, say, storing movies.

fobroth's photo
Sat 11/13/10 02:24 AM
My neighbor has an xbox. Haven't heard from him since the local vid store got the blackops stock in (he rents his games), until tonight. His eyes were red and bulging and his hands were sore from playing that game. He stepped outside long enough to smoke a cigarette and, in that time, conveyed that the blackops is the best game he's ever played.

fobroth's photo
Wed 11/03/10 09:53 PM
StrengthFromWithin- if you just want to goof around and 'test the water', many linux distros have 'live CDs' that you can boot up and won't touch your hard drive. Keep in mind that they are running from your optical drive and won't be as fast as if they were on a hdd and are limited on software. But live CDs are a good way for a new guy to shop around.

fobroth's photo
Wed 11/03/10 10:40 AM
Cinelerra
I made video shorts for a guy that does a weekly netcast using that. It's very verstile and it's free. Not sure if there's a windohs version, though.

fobroth's photo
Sun 10/31/10 06:30 PM
What OS do you use?

My first box had windows 3.1 on it with a free upgrade to win95. Used that up to late 90s (after, also, buying win98) when I started using slackware linux.
Was on slackware for a few years, then tried gentoo for a few years. Shortly after drobbins left that project, I moved to debian and have been using it ever since.

fobroth's photo
Sun 10/31/10 06:04 PM
Edited by fobroth on Sun 10/31/10 06:11 PM
laugh :tongue: :wink:

Sorry about double post- I submitted and it hung and posted the same thing twiced so edited some smileys to this one to make sure we know I'm kidding... :angel:

fobroth's photo
Sun 10/31/10 06:02 PM
Silly chick.

fobroth's photo
Wed 10/27/10 08:06 PM
I didn't follow the links but why not just start from debian.org and build your own super-awesome OS?
No offense. I'm just sayin...

fobroth's photo
Wed 10/13/10 09:19 AM
Edited by fobroth on Wed 10/13/10 09:23 AM
Heretic - That game rocked. Loved the music, too.
Rise of the Triad
Duke Nukem
Quake
Serious Sam
M$ Flight Sim & Combat Flight Sim
Frozen Bubble
Galaga Hyperspace
OpenArena
Sauerbraten

But most favoritest game, ever, of all time...

Hide the sausage! Yay! (multiplayer. single player kinda sucks)

fobroth's photo
Wed 10/13/10 08:45 AM
Blaze1978,
The ntfs is more efficient than fat32.

Dweeb2,
GNU linux is able to read and write to ntfs.
Has read ntfs for quite some time.

RainbowTrout,
When I started playing with linux in 1997, I had it 'beside' a windows install (multi boot). One doesn't have to have a 'newer linux' to do so.

Cheers

fobroth's photo
Thu 09/02/10 06:17 AM
Lemme guess,
She caught wizzl o yer dizzl and shut you down?
She loves you, man.

fobroth's photo
Thu 09/02/10 06:03 AM
Oh, you're worth it. And I think you probably know that you are, too. But like the 'plethora of people out there that you've seen', you might be in a rush to begin the rest of your life with a mate.
While life is short, you do have the rest of your life to find your life mate.
Your avatar is a pic of a pretty girl. You type like you have a creative head.
Hell, yeah, you're worth it.
So, don't settle for anything less than a guy that cherishes you.

fobroth's photo
Tue 08/31/10 07:27 PM
Something to keep in mind, also;
The software available in most (all?) popular distros doesn't just 'show-up' in the repositories. There is a certain amount of testing to be approved for inclusion.
But, with that, there is good and bad software to be had. It's a good thing it's so easy to get your money back for it.

Glad you're having fun, massagetrade!

fobroth's photo
Sat 08/28/10 07:15 PM
I think what you are looking for is a display manager.
wdm comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.
I don't use em, so I can't make a recommendation.
Hope that gets you on a good track.

fobroth's photo
Mon 08/09/10 05:43 AM
Great stuff Ritchie_NY_69!
I just couldn't resist the urge to add, though.

> Keep in mind that Linux will run a better/faster in it's native environment versus running under any type of emulation.

That includes running from a live cd. It's a great way to play with a linux distro but is much slower than having it on the hard drive.

Another con to emulation on windows is poor memory management. If your emulator starts swapping, it's going to be painful.

Good luck and have fun, RainbowTrout!

fobroth's photo
Fri 08/06/10 05:28 PM
If you're not happy with your DNS servers, why not try some different ones?
A query for 'DNS servers' should give you plenty to experiment with.
It should also make you aware of how ISPs, seemingly good natured companies and crackers use DNS to pollute your activities. (just don't go plugging in numbers)
It will be some interesting reading!

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next