Community > Posts By > MsLeeHM

MsLeeHM's photo
Mon 11/26/18 08:15 AM

I have had some trouble with them. Any suggestions

THIS is the topic and he was referring to JWs.

Right. This is the topic that you have chosen to address.

So, you have set yourself up as the topic police and I didn't even get the badge number.

May I remind you that it was YOU who brought up the JWs belief (or lack thereof) of a "hell." And still not explaining sufficiently how there could possibly be a "symbolic hell." It just makes no sense.

So, as long as no one is trying to correct your disinformation their comment must be within the boundaries of the topic. However, if anyone exposes your lack of knowledge, all of the sudden they are "off topic"?

Hmmmm. I sense at least two standards here.

The facts remain the same. The JWs do NOT believe in a "hell" and they would be happy (for the most part) to discuss this with anyone who wishes.

As a further note, there is no "hell" in the Scriptures. Many here (including MSLeeHM) tend to confuse What the Scriptures say about death and their own made up doctrines of a "hell."

CLV Matt 22:29 Now, answering, Jesus said to them, "You are deceived, not being acquainted with the scriptures, nor yet with the power of God.

I did explain it. You chose to ignore it. That is a logical fallacy with JWs who refuse to deal with all the information. Just above someone said how JWs refuse to listen and only have their own agenda. They show up at people’s doors and ask them about their opinion but they really don’t care what the person thinks or believes. And if they are confronted with anything that goes against their beliefs they either find a scripture to do the talking for them or they leave. You have chosen to post scripture.

This is harassment. What they believe isn’t the issue here. The first post clearly said he was having trouble with the Witnesses. That is the topic and you have proven that JWs don’t listen.

They have been taught a lot of logical fallacies and use them all the time to avoid things they don’t want to deal with.

MsLeeHM's photo
Mon 11/26/18 12:12 AM

I have had some trouble with them. Any suggestions

THIS is the topic and he was referring to JWs.

MsLeeHM's photo
Sun 11/25/18 08:38 PM
We are way off topic here so i am not going debate doctrine with you. There are many forums that will discuss JW doctrine. This isn't the place

MsLeeHM's photo
Sun 11/25/18 07:00 AM

From MsLeeHM
When I read that I did not think the poster was saying JWs believe in a literal “hell” but rather a symbolic one I know plenty of people who have talked to Witnesses any the topic of hell never came up.

JWs do not believe in a "literal" hell. But I don't see how there could be a "symbolic" one. Do we symbolically burn in symbolic flames? Do we spend a symbolic eternity there?

Perhaps you can see the problem now.

The word "hell" does not appear in the Scriptures anywhere. To suggest that it does is dishonest at best. The JWs know this and talk about it.

To suggest that they do not talk about it just because you and some of your friends did not get around to it would be presumptuous on your part.

Ever heard the phrase "Hell on earth" or My life was a living hell"? Neither one is literal... well unless you happen to life in California during the massive fires. But even then they don't mean the whole earth is burning up.

JWs generally don't talk about a literal hell where Satan lives with a pitchfork. They don't believe in the traditional hell that most Christians believe in. Their definition is very different. It isn't a place where the wicked are right now suffering. To them dead is dead. Just a big sleep.

MsLeeHM's photo
Sat 11/24/18 02:53 PM
I found it helpful to look at their profiles to get an idea of what would make my stand out. Doesn’t seem to matter. Very few fall into what I am looking for

MsLeeHM's photo
Sat 11/24/18 06:12 AM

Same life stage does not guarantee you happiness in a relationship. Hope you know that?

There are no guarantees but the chances of success are much higher the more you have in common

MsLeeHM's photo
Fri 11/23/18 10:57 PM

IMO, any guy who wants to date a woman 20 years older than himself is either desperate or looking for sex.

There are lots of older women available in the local retirement centers.

Agreed. Personally I will never be that desperate.

MsLeeHM's photo
Wed 11/21/18 05:58 PM

It's like MsLee said. Women want their breasts staying in a certain area on their chest, especially if they are larger.

Believe me, if we didn't need them, we wouldn't wear them.

Most women prefer it when people talk and look at us, not staring at our chest

MsLeeHM's photo
Wed 11/21/18 05:38 PM

That's a good point, in cases like that the push up bra may have a functional purpose. My ex used to wear a sports bra because it was more comfortable than the ones with the underwire. I kinda see what they were trying to do with the underwire thing, but I don't think it works like it was supposed to, seems like one of those things that looks better on paper.

I think the purpose of the wire is to stop the girls from falling out the bottom of the bra. It also pushes them in so they aren't leaking out the sides. That gives them only one way to go

MsLeeHM's photo
Wed 11/21/18 01:45 PM
Basic info on women's clothing

A woman's dress or shirt that is tailored, meaning it is made to fit the body closely has darts sewn into the dress or blouse. The darts make a space where the girls are supposed to fit. If the girls don't fit into the space the girls wind up hanging below it. This throws off the way the dress fits. Hence the push-up bra. It keeps everything in the right place.

Yes some women wear them to show the girls off because we KNOW that is what you look at. We know this particularly well when we are talking to you and not getting any eye contact.

Personally I think underwires are painful. Finally the industry is making a better bra without underwires.

MsLeeHM's photo
Wed 11/21/18 07:22 AM

As a guy, I don't get it, but as an intelligent person, I can see why women, especially American and European do these silly things. To me, it's not so much they're trying to attract guys, although that does play a factor. It has more to do with how Hollywood and the beauty industry define what beauty is and bombard especially women with propaganda that pressures them into trying to imitate an unrealistic beauty.

Women, throw out your high heels, push up bras, and other silly nonsense that does more harm than good and just wear what makes you comfortable. I know it's important for a women to be a girly girl at times, but I find it much more sexy and attractive when a woman is comfortable and more herself.

You don't have to torture and kill yourself to be beautiful, in fact you can being comfortable enhances your beauty.

That's what I think.

High heels and push-up bras can kill? Wow! Who knew?

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 06:44 PM

I dont see it as an issue really. Plenty of relationships come and go for many reasons, people grow apart, find they dont have as much in common, I dont see the commonality of 'religion' as different than any other. And I think in every religion and in every group of non religon there are people who are not tolerant and find others with a different perspective unworthy.

We are all just people, regardless of label, and we all have types of individuals we want to stay around and types we grow apart from.

I think you have the correct perspective unfortunately many of these groups really don’t care what you believe. They are looking for new members or recruits and if they can con you they will. The people who do this have no idea what they are doing. They truly believe they are doing God’s work.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 06:27 PM

I totally agree with you. It should not be necessary.

I was baptized in the United church when I was an infant. I agree that that is a promise the parents and godparents make. It certainly isn't the infant. The adults make a promise to raise the child in that faith. Interesting that they don't require the child to make a promise when they become adults. It only seems important when the person changes church. Nonsensical.

I was baptized again when I was 17 into the JWs. Not doing it again.

I have left/ quit going to churches/ denomonations when they start to make with the pushy baptism stuff..
One *told me* I was on the program to be baptised the following Sunday...I was like..wait a minute..I didn't agree to this, and certainly have no intention of doing so.."
To be a member of their church (a denomination I had attended on different place for years), I was told I had to be baptised *in* their church..
I said "well...then I guess I don't need to be a member here....bye.."

It's almost like they get credits or brownie points for the number of people they baptise...LOL

Good for you. No one should push anybody to “join” anything without clear consent. Far too many groups, not just religious but political, psychological, financial as well as others use undue influence to get and maintain control over members. These groups are referred to as High Control Groups.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 05:18 PM

Understand..I am not arguing with you..
Just asking why when I already did the whole baptism thing years ago (and no, I was NOT an infant..and infant has no way to know what he/ she is agreeing to or what it means)

But..if you are baptised as *I* understand it...as affirmation of your beliefs and acceptance of Jesus....then why wouldn't once be enough?
I see nothing Biblical (in the Bible) about needing to be baptised numerous times...

It's like the Church of Christ thinks the Baptists didn't do it right...or the Pentacostals don't agree with how the Methodists do it..
It's not about what man (in the larger sense of "man") thinks/ does..it is the conditon of the heart and intention of the person getting baptised that is important...

I totally agree with you. It should not be necessary.

I was baptized in the United church when I was an infant. I agree that that is a promise the parents and godparents make. It certainly isn't the infant. The adults make a promise to raise the child in that faith. Interesting that they don't require the child to make a promise when they become adults. It only seems important when the person changes church. Nonsensical.

I was baptized again when I was 17 into the JWs. Not doing it again.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 04:26 PM

I **was* talking about the mainstream churches *I* have been to who all seem to want to baptise me into *their* church...when I was already baptised years ago thank you.

Also, when you are baptised in *any* church..they ask you if you understand what you are doing, agreeing freely...and understand what being baptised means..
(just like being "saved")

Agreed. Most do want you to be baptized again especially if your baptism happened when you were an infant. The whole "born again" belief is what brought this about.

I think that if you agreed to follow the beliefs set out in the scriptures that your faiths believes in you should not have to get baptized again. But then I can't agree with ALL of the teachings of any church.

If it is what someone wants I won't stop them. But I think every person should be free to reference what they have been taught and make sure what it is they are dedicating themselves to

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 04:11 PM

I have always wondered why...when you go to a different church Baptist..(of which there are *numerous* types, none of which agree), Church of Christ, Pentacostal, Assembly Of God, etc....why they're all pushy and try and baptise you....when you were *already* baptised years ago just fine, thanks..

*I* thought once you are baptised..that was it..it didn't need to be "re-upped" every so often...or redone if you change churches...

Because they are not baptizing you in the name of God but rather in the name of their church.

A few years ago the Witnesses changed the baptismal vow to include that you are dedicating yourself to them.

The newest baptismal questions, from the June 1, 1985 Watchtower:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Agreeing to this means they now have control over every facet of your life - where you can't work, what you can and cannot do, who you can and cannot marry, how you treat family members who no longer want to be JWs, your sex life, whether you smoke, or vote, or belong to a union or political party, what you read if it goes against what they say, how you deal with a fellow JW who has sexually abused your child or your JW husband who abuses you or whether you are guilty if a man rapes you. Everything goes through the elders (congregation leaders). Nothing is your own. And from the baptism day forward they have the right to determine if you still believe everything they teach even if it makes no sense and could change tomorrow.

Believe me I am not angry at individual JWs. I was one too and I have some family who are members. But the leadership controls everything. I am totally against anyone who attacks individual Witnesses.

Most mainstream churches are not like this. You don't attend every Sunday no one will question you. You don't do the required amount of hours preaching, no one will bother you about it. No one will even bother if you are having sex with someone or are living with someone of the opposite sex. But not if you are a Witness.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 02:29 PM

I guess I am different. For me, people are people, regardless of religious beliefs. I generally speak to them based on how they speak to me, individually. I have sat down over a lemonade with Mormons, I have done bible study with Jehovah's witnesses.

If they have manners, I have no problem listening and making clear my own questions and beliefs. I have not really had any problems, to be honest. In Ohio I had a JW family that would come to my home and we would have Bible study(at their suggestion) where I was free to comment and ask questions, so I did so, from a place of respect and not disdain or ridicule or condescension.

I even went with them to Kingdom Hall a couple of times. Im pretty patient, but they eventually stopped coming round when it was clear that I was not likely to join up with them.

Same thing with the Mormons, the elders came around weekly for a year, took me to their services a few times, and everyone was very friendly and worked alot of charity, which I was impressed with, it was still some core beliefs I could not quite get past and I told them this honestly. Eventually, they also stopped coming around. But it was always respectful and never any problem, at least not for me.

Its funny though the stereotypes we all hold. Even when I was at a mormon education class (they hold them after their service). I sat and listented to a woman that had gone on vacation talking about her HORROR of having to attend a Baptist church and how intolerant 'they' were ... et cetera. You should have seen her face when I revealed I was actually raised up Baptist. She clarified, of course, she didn't feel this way about ALL Baptists ...lol.

I think honestly that they learned as much about me as I did about them, and I do believe there was mutual respect of each other.

See, there is the issue: As long as they think there is a possibility they might convert you they will keep talking to you or visiting you. They have an agenda.

You also mentioned how intolerant the Mormons were of Baptists. Witnesses are the same. And it isn’t just Baptist’s. It is every faith that isn’t theirs. This is not respectful. It is condescending to other faiths and to the people in them. You are only worth spending time with IF there is a possibility you might join them. Refuse to do that and you aren’t worthy of talking to.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 02:16 PM

are you single mom

Who? Me? Well I was but I guess now you could say I am a single grandmother because my kids are grown and on their own raising their own children.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 11:45 AM

"Witnesses are trained to keep personal records on all people hey talk to."

If that is true, I am sure that once they have talked to me they are told to avoid my house. I can respect someone's religion, but I have little patience for lies, mistranslations, and misinterpretations.

They will still come back just in case you change your mind or maybe you moved and they can contact the new resident.

They have small sheet of paper called record sheets. It records the address who they talked to and a name if given and what was discussed. The sheet might also include whether you have children, love gardening, live in a high crime area or anything else that they can use as a talking point for their next visit.

Every single area in the country is broken down into small areas often with about 300 homes per territory card. Witnesses are given a map of the area and are expected to make contact at least once ever 3 months. When they have completed the card it is handed in and passed to another Witness. Information they gathered on anyone they talk to may be kept so they can go back or it might be handed in with the card for the next Witness to deal with.

Witnesses are trained to do this "preaching" work. They attend a class once a week that prepares them for just about any topic you might discuss. They are not there for open discussion. Or for friendship.

Right now they are targeting certain populations, immigrants, the poor, the disabled, people who have had a death in the family. Yes they go through the obituary notices in the newspaper and show up at a person's door to preach to them.

I know. I was one for 22 years until I managed to get free of them.

MsLeeHM's photo
Tue 11/20/18 11:28 AM

Individual Witnesses should be respected just like anyone else. Tell them you are not interested and close the door. If you talk to them you can be assured they will be back.

They haven't but if they did I would still talk with them.
I'll talk with anyone about religion and while I don't really have an issue with how their beliefs give them peace, nearly all have a problem with how my beliefs give me peace. Especially because my beliefs don't follow their religios guidelines or require my fear or dread of the unknown.

They will never agree with you. Their sole purpose is to try to convert you. If you ask them, "Are you trying to convert me?" they will deny it but that is what they are there for.