Community > Posts By > missvixen

missvixen's photo
Sun 10/10/10 03:34 AM
Religion offers most people a supportive community of like-minded followers and a set of ready made one size fits all rules by which to live your life productively and with meaning.
Only the rules are dated etc and they do not necessarily lead to bettering one's self because wisdom and self discipline must be earned and are not so easily obtained as by just reading one book.
My father was raised a strict catholic and chose to raise his kids as atheists. He now leans towards zen teachings.
I think Christianity has an important place in Western culture eg, literature that it has inspired, so I wouldn't worry about sending my kids to an Anglican school and I certainly would teach my children the most fundamental 'golden rule' (which is decidedly lacking in Muslim beliefs).
Besides all children know that scripture teachings are a load of crap. I remember how we made fun of it when we were kids, while the moral of the story was always pretty obvious to us - but somehow people come to believe that its all actually real - and that part I will never understand. Why bother complicating things with religion...?