Community > Posts By > BornInTheUSA

BornInTheUSA's photo
Mon 11/12/07 03:45 AM
adj4u - actually I wasn't speaking to you at all; I was responding to the original poster who asked:

"Basically what I want to know, do you think it's possible this guy may be changing his mind? Or am I a victim of a booty call? lol"

And I gave her my opinion, which is of course only my opinion. Yet I defend my right to have one as much as I defend your right to express yours to her as well.

But I do not need your permission to speak. This is not Fox news.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 11/11/07 09:37 PM
Tell him you like HIM, not me (where did THAT come from??) laugh

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 11/11/07 09:36 PM
HR,

One thing you should take away from all this is the way the people responded - the women were hopeful, the men decidedly thinking booty call. Aside from the obvious vote count, note that the men weren't waffling at all - and that makes me think he's not either, so perhaps you shouldn't either. If it's sex, call it sex and be honest with yourself (booty call? Call a spade a spade, please).

But also be honest with him - tell him you like me (if you do) but that you're not into a sex-only relationship (if you're not). He's been honest with you, but it's not what you want to hear. This might be the only way to save your friendship, otherwise I'd be surprised if the intimacy and the denials don't completely ruin it.

Be brave. Be honest. If you're inclined to let it be what it is, don't ask for more. If you don't want to scare him off, then go slowly and explain to him how much you child means to you, and if he's not interested or tries to laugh it off/weasel his way out of the equation, draw a line in the sand and walk away.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 11/04/07 11:41 PM
I don't like it personally, but living near Amsterdam, I also know the anti-weed propaganda is also a lot of crap. We have cafes where you can buy and smoke pot (it has to be done on premises or in your home -- you can't just light up anywhere).

Has it increased crime? Petty theft is all around anyway - deal with it. Is it annoying that I see little plastic ziplocs on the street with a pot leaf stamped on it? Sure, but no more than when I see a empty Marlboro or shag tobacco wrapper in the gutter. Does smoking pot make you a deviant? Hah! I think being a Republican these days is a worse indicator, but no -- having lived in the US for 38 years and then living here nearly 10, I can attest that it makes NO difference. Life is safe when it's out in the open, if not a bit safer, than when it's lived in the shadows.

We still have a couple of drug addicts who momentarily bother you for change, but it's in one or two street corners in the Red Light -- I've had no bothering anywhere else. Compare that to Chicago or Denver, comparatively small cities where begging is endemic (and that's the presumption that the begging is for drugs. )

Nah - legalize it. Corral it. Hold it back -- you'll never eliminate it, but you can tax it and keep it from being a total drain on resources.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 11/04/07 11:33 PM
I'm finding this site of two minds: there are people who think it's not for dating, but friend-making, and others who expect to be able to meet someone through it. The lack of focus is the fault of the programmers and those who run it -- I don't think they know if they want to make their fortunes with dating or a future facebook. And it's annoying, to say the least.

The site owners don't seem to want to drive the site in any particular direction, and I'm not enjoying the way the users run it, so it may be that I'm just not the type for this board (I'm pretty much ready to delete my account anyway). It's a bit high-school most of the times.

Trust me - you can do better.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Mon 10/29/07 11:18 AM
What's the job and housing market like out there these days?

I lived in Wheat Ridge 9 years ago and I'm thinking long-term of returning home. I hear the housing market is up and the job market depressed...is this so?

BornInTheUSA's photo
Mon 10/29/07 11:16 AM
Got up at 4:30 to watch the last few innings here today... Oh, the pain, the pain.

It was a good run, and they're good kids. Just inexperienced -- they didn't handle the pressure and the pitching choked. That was the big difference between the BoSox and Rocks.

Still it was a good run and I'm still way proud of them.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Fri 10/26/07 04:23 PM
Just in too - calling it an early night, darkness and the inside of my eyelids call

(so what the hell am I doing online?) laugh

BornInTheUSA's photo
Wed 10/24/07 02:14 PM
I wish - pity it's about 10,000 miles away...

BornInTheUSA's photo
Wed 10/24/07 02:10 PM
Britty & Blonderockermom -- my pleasure.

It's so easy to make real food; if I didn't live here now I'd be heating up a Stouffers...WRONG!

Now off to make some finnish rye bread, while watching the Rockies whoop Boston...

BornInTheUSA's photo
Wed 10/24/07 02:08 PM
Vicki - Yep, there's no other need for more moisture/water. The base is going to take-up the butter and make a nice, crisp crust.

One point I probably should have pointed out was that you have to proof the crust before adding the fruit (like sliced apples). Easiest way is to just roll it out onto baking paper and press it into the quiche form like in the earlier recipe. Then prick it 4-5 times with a fork randomly on the base, then place the crust in the oven at 200-degrees Celsius / 390-400 Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. The crust will lightly crisp-up and tan. Pull it out, let it cool 15 minutes, then use it as a base for a Tarte Normandie, for example.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Wed 10/17/07 12:03 PM
Do you know why married people are always twisting the ring on their finger?

They're trying to work out the combination...

BornInTheUSA's photo
Wed 10/17/07 09:45 AM
I wish - it's a loooong way to go for a ticket.
I'll have to get by watching it in the sports bars midday (thinking of pulling somewhere between 5-7 sickies in the the next few weeks)

BornInTheUSA's photo
Mon 10/15/07 02:05 PM
1/3 polish buffalo, 2/3rd apple juice, lots of ice.
Schmoooth.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Mon 10/15/07 06:14 AM
It's not about knowing them. It's about knowing what they want. :wink:

BornInTheUSA's photo
Mon 10/15/07 12:36 AM
bigsmile drinker bigsmile drinker drinker bigsmile drinker bigsmile

I'm going nuts over here! They're playing the games in the afternoon and not showing it at night (frikkin' football and hockey. Hockey??)

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 10/14/07 03:16 PM
Ah - I didn't fully translate my recipes to english (still in Dutch)

* 1 snufje zout = 1 decent pinch of salt
* 80 g suiker = 80 g sugar
* 100 g boter = 100 g butter

Yep - I keep everything written down. My baking is more like chemistry. laugh

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 10/14/07 03:15 PM
Living here in europe, I've learned how to make a few basics, and once you get them down you'll never go back. A pâte brisée is sooooo easy - do it once and you've got it, and in the time it takes to go to the store for pilsbury, you've got an authentic crust already - for pennies.

If you want a sweeter version for a pie, it's called a "pâte sablée":

* 200 g flour
* 1 egg
* 1 snufje zout
* 80 g suiker
* 100 g boter

Similar instructions - mix the egg, sugar and salt, then add the flour, then chunks of butter (you'll note, no water in this version). Mix it by hand until you get that nice, grainy-but-smooth finish, roll it into a ball, refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes and then roll it out and use. With those 2 recipes, you can make nearly any pie...Simple!

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 10/14/07 03:01 PM
:wink: Merci. Mercy is what you give people who use a pre-made crust.

BornInTheUSA's photo
Sun 10/14/07 03:00 PM
On the quiche, it's a traditional country french quiche. I just dropped the details in the recipe section. Very easy to make, I left pretty explicit instructions how to do it from scratch. (Me loves to bake...)

Previous 1 3