Community > Posts By > Louie

no photo
Wed 10/17/18 05:46 PM
Animal Lover:

"actually Custer was given that little big horn assignment to get his arrogant person out of the post where he was. "

I have read that in sveral accounts. Custer had a huge ego.

no photo
Mon 10/15/18 03:35 PM
Edited by Louie on Mon 10/15/18 03:36 PM
Since it's getting colder now, I thought I would add some tips on making drapes. These are grommet drapes.
1) They have to be twice the width of the window. So if your window is 48" wide, each panel has to be about 50". The single panel with its folds will cover 25 inches.
2) There always has to be an even number of grommets.
3) Cut the drape panel 18 inches longer than the finished height. There is 8" at the bottom. 8' at the top. This 8" is folded over twice too give a 4" wide band.And 2" extra that you will then trim when you fold down the top, to make the final length adjustment.
4) Sew the whole thing with hand stitching. I know this is slow but there is just too much trouble wrestling a 50" by 103" panel through a sewing machine.

These drapes are flannel lined.

Herring bone stitch at the bottom hem.

This is the slip stitch at the sides of the drape. The UV protection lining is rolled inside the side seam.
Every 6 inches, a stitch is made completely through to the fashion fabric. Intermediate stitches only go through the UV protection lining.

Putting the Grommets in

no photo
Mon 10/15/18 02:39 PM
Edited by Louie on Mon 10/15/18 02:48 PM
In 1983, a fire burnt away all the vegetation from the battlefield
http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/1983fire.htm

It allowed archaeologists to search for remains.
http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Dig-of-1984.htm

The result was they were able to trace the movements of some of the troopers by examining
the cartridges ejected from their Springfield rifles. The re results show that the soldiers panicked.
Some readers may contest this but I am inclined to believe it. There are several reasons why a rout by Custer's men is disliked:

1) No one believed that "savages" could defeat a modern army. It turns out that the indians were
equipped with Henry repeating (lever action) rifles. These rifles delivered a t much higher volume of accurate rifle fire than the single shot 0.45/70 Springfields.
2) There were about 2,500 indian warriors to only 280 soldiers. Custer was badly outnumbered.
3) Col. Custer was considered a reckless fool.

no photo
Mon 10/15/18 02:22 PM
Animal Lover:

There is one good book on the battle that I gave to a friend. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the title. It had an extensive collection of pictures drawn in colored pencil, made by the indian warriors. These sketches were made around 1910 I believe. The Indians never really told the truth about the battle as they feared reprisal.
From what I have read, the untried cavalry soldiers panicked. It is reputed that many of the soldiers committed suicide by shooting themselves.

no photo
Mon 10/15/18 02:09 PM
River Spirit:

I can't put them in my profile because Mingle2 flags them and removes them. The pictures have to be of me.
I took all of those pictures. I made 3 trips to the battlefield. Here is a bloody Cavalry standard that was found on the body of a dead trooper. Sections of it had been cut out as souvenirs sometime in the 19th century. The flag was rediscovered at some university in Michigan. The triangular tails are there so the flag will flap vigorously as it is carried on horseback. Those are not missing from souvenir hunters.

no photo
Mon 10/15/18 12:15 AM
Edited by Louie on Mon 10/15/18 12:16 AM
One of the more interesting places I have visited was the site of Custer's Last Stand. It is otherwise known as the Little Big Horn Battlefield. The battlefield is located near the Little Big Horn River. It was here that Col. George A. Custer lost his entire command.

Last Stand Hill where Custer died. Most of the cavalry men are buried under the obliesk.

Custer's death marker. It is blackened. These are markers of where the soldiers fell. Col Custer is buried at West Point.

Rugged Terrain with the Little Big Horn River in the background. This is looking west toward the Big Horn mountains.

Indian Chief Low Dog. This was (I believe) photographed around 1900. The battle took place on June 25th, 1876. I think Low Dog was 17 years old at the time of the battle.

no photo
Fri 10/05/18 01:19 AM
Edited by Louie on Fri 10/05/18 01:39 AM

I want my soulmate:heart_eyes:.....soulmate where are you? I have been waiting in what seems like forever.....:hibiscus::rose::cherry_blossom:

I hope you do find a nice man.

That said, I think internet dating really works best for people that "look good on paper". That is people who can really craft a good bio. Also, they are photogenic to some extent. They understand the principles of photography and have the knack of taking alluring pictures of themselves. They are good at writing an interesting bio that piques peoples interest; a bio that invites a response.

Most men and women are reticent to really talk about themselves to complete strangers. Furthermore, body language, which is a huge component of communication, is completely missing from online encounters. Most folks need some kind of body language cue in order for the conversation to continue.

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 06:25 PM
I use OpenBSD. I never had a Windows computer. I switched from DOS 3.3 to Red Hat 6.0 and then to SuSE 6.4 in 2000. Here my OpenBSD laptop supplies embroidery files to my embroidery machine

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 01:54 PM
Edited by Louie on Tue 10/02/18 01:57 PM
Never say you are sewing alone if you are with your cat. The machine is a Pfaff Passport 2.0. It is a portable electronic machine.

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 01:46 PM
Soufiehere:

I have no grand kids. I was never married. I worked graveyard shifts most of my life. Plus it didn't help that I was into reclusive, stay-at-home, hobbies.

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 01:44 PM
Stubeedoo:

You can get some good discounts at Hobby Lobby. Using their 40% off coupon you can get really decent pricing on airbrushes. Hobby Lobby carries good quality airbrushes. For the kits, shopping online gives the best discounts.

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 01:41 PM
Thanks Kristi!

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 01:01 PM
Thanks Kristi: It is actually the link to Pattern Review. Just leave it be. With almost 500,000 members Pattern Review will show up first in any search engine.

no photo
Tue 10/02/18 12:13 PM
The URL in one of my posts is not working. How do I edit a forum post?

no photo
Mon 10/01/18 04:17 PM
Anyone else into building plastic model planes?
Here area few I have built over the years. I use enamel
paints instead of acrylic. One thing I have found useful for making the mottled camouflage is this:
1) Soak a piece of computer print paper in water for several hours. It should
be very pliable.
2) Drape the paper over the wings and fuselage. The horizontal stabilizers
should not be attached yet.
3) let that paper mould thoroughly dry. Let it sit for 24 hours at least.
4) Now use a paper punch and make the patterns on the paper mould.
5) Re-attach the mould with masking tape. Tamiya masking tape works great.
6) Airbrush over the paper mask and you should have a nice mottling effect.

no photo
Mon 10/01/18 02:41 PM
Queenie & HappyOleGal:

There is a good website for unbiased reviews on sewing patterns & machines. It is called Pattern Review. It requires you to make an account but that is to keep the spammers out. It is free to join.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

I have this site to be pretty useful for pattern reviews. Plus, it is hard to find sewing patterns for men.

no photo
Mon 10/01/18 12:45 PM
Anyone on Mingle2 into sewing? Tell me or show me what you make? I am interested because I have heard that home sewing is dying out. Here is a picture of a dress I designed and made: