Community > Posts By > arkansawdave74

arkansawdave74's photo
Sat 01/26/19 08:53 AM
Edited by arkansawdave74 on Sat 01/26/19 08:55 AM
LOL...

arkansawdave74's photo
Wed 01/23/19 03:56 AM
I first became interested in Linux for the purpose of building Android operating systems about 3 years ago. At first, I stuck with the distros that could be booted live with persistence from USB so I could test them fully before making the decision as to what would be my first actual Linux. Right when I was preparing to do my 1st hard drive install of the best Linux I’d tried, Mint Mate, a friend messaged to try Manjaro. I’d not considered Manjaro because it couldn’t boot from a flash drive with persistence (the ability to save settings, files, installed apps, and other changes) which meant that I couldn’t test it as completely as I had the others. I respected the friend, though, and thought, “What the hell?” I had just partitioned for a Linux install along the side of Windows 10, after all. As I was downloading the KDE version, my friend messaged, “Xfce is boss.”

3 years later I am still running Manjaro Xfce (single boot now and somewhat customized by myself) and I have never once found the need, nor desire, to distro hop. I am now a Linux lover and I try many, many distros, always in a Virtualbox, always inside Manjaro. If I absolutely need to run Windows for something, I do that the same way. I am so grateful that that friend spoke up at that perfect moment, and I agree….Manjaro Xfce is boss.

arkansawdave74's photo
Wed 01/23/19 03:51 AM

Hi,
I'd like help in installing Arch Linux

I say just give it a go,man. Maybe try in a VM first, but you don't have to. I've done it twice just to see if I could and both times went fine and much easier than I'd thought after reading all the hype. It's not as hard as you think. Here's the guide I use from the Arch wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide