Community > Posts By > tudoravenger

tudoravenger's photo
Wed 08/15/12 08:24 AM
Edited by tudoravenger on Wed 08/15/12 08:27 AM
Jerrix Tau dragged the lifeless body of Yoland into the craft, watching as the door slid shut. He scrambled across the pale blue squashy floor, reaching the controls. He stared for a moment at the five-foot high pyramid before activating the galactic map. As it appeared within the globe, which sat atop the pyramid, Jerrix glanced back at the green uniformed body of the former security guard. Her long red hair lay around her lovely features.

“You really don’t think that you can leave me that easily do you?”

He saw the twin points of light flashing and moved to the north face of the console. He gazed at the mass of buttons and tapped the central one. He cursed as the craft juddered violently which told him that the new engines were still running in.

Moments later, Jerrix dashed from his craft and found himself standing outside the white washed entrance of a hospital.

“Perfect landing as usual,” he muttered to himself.

He dashed into the foyer and stopped at the desk of the grubby looking receptionist.

“You must help me mam. My companion needs help right now.”

The receptionist pressed a hidden button, and as if on cue, two attendants appeared carrying a stretcher. He led them back to his ship and removed her laser pistol holster before allowing them to collect the lifeless body. As they carried her inside he hung back, watching as a dark vehicle slowly approached.

Standing on his hind paws and around five foot high, Jerrix Tau gazed down at his blue cloak, admiring the gold throat clasp. He still did not like his white paws, which clashed with the black fur.

“At least my eyes are still yellow,” he muttered to himself.

The approaching vehicle slowed down as it reached his position.

“Whatever is he doing?” the cat muttered.

The rear passenger door was thrown open and two fully armed men sprang out and dragged him inside. As a handgun was pushed into his side, an evil voice hissed, “Don’t even think about it mate.”

Jerrix remained silent, wondering if he would live much longer. The slick interior was rather luxurious for a kidnap, and he concluded that money was behind this operation. The vehicle snaked through the streets until he noticed that they had entered a down sloping ramp. As the car came to a halt, he was tossed out rather unceremoniously.
He scrambled up and the two attackers faced him, their weapons trained upon his chest.

“What is the meaning of this outrage?” Jerrix demanded.

His eyes scanned his dark clad kidnappers as they pushed him across the stone-floored garage area. He was pushed through an old wooden door which he realised was a makeshift cell. As he turned, the door was slammed shut and locked.

“Hey!” he yelled banging uselessly.

He heard the attackers wandering off and looked around his new surroundings.

There was no window or ventilation for that matter. Only a dim light hanging from the ceiling illuminated the cell.

He was rather disappointed to see that no bed had been provided. He thrust a paw into his deep pocket and felt his trusty fork like device. Unfortunately, it was useless in this setting.

He gave the door a rear kick before strutting over to the near corner.

“Nice welcome Jerrix. I wonder what they want with me?”

As this thought passed through his fertile, feline mind, a voice called out, “We are going to bring you out now mate. Don’t think of causing trouble.”

Jerrix remained silent, as the door was unlocked and opened wide. He strolled out slowly as the door was pushed shut. He found himself facing a tall dark skinned man who wore a dark combat outfit. Unlike the kidnappers, he was unarmed.

Jerrix could see that they were alone.

“Where have the thugs gone?” Jerrix demanded.

“Not far my friend,” the tall figure said gently.

“You run this outfit?”

“I certainly do. We need some details from you.”

The cat crossed his paws.

“Ask away.”

“How seriously injured was your friend?”

“She was dead. That is why I brought her here to the planet of resurrection.”

The figure nodded.

“You hoped our nano technology could restore her to life?”

“Of course,” Jerrix replied. “You are known of across the galaxy.”

“Perhaps for the wrong reasons my friend. You see things have changed around here.”

“To what degree?”

“To the tenth. Since the change in power, committing crime has become compulsory. The innocent are simply done away with.”

“That is monstrous,” the cat replied.

“Everyone who is brought back in that hospital is turned into a pathological killer. Programmed and ordered by the state authorities.”

“So you run a resistance movement,” the cat commented.

“I do. We intend to restore peace and justice to the people.”

“I simply cannot accept your tale,” Jerrix told him. “What real proof have you got?”

The figure smiled slowly.

“Follow your friend tonight and see where she goes and remember what she does.”

Jerrix considered this piece of advice and quickly agreed.

His dark host took his paw.

“I’m Trinity by the way.”

“Jerrix Tau at your service.”
---
Nightfall came and the cat found himself standing on the far walkway just beyond the hospital entrance. He saw quite a few entering and departing and began to wonder how long it would take. Just after one in the morning, he saw the familiar form of Yoland leaving and resisted the temptation to call out. Trinity had insisted that he leave her to it.

He kept a discreet distance as she walked down the main street. Yoland turned left, making it quite clear that she knew exactly where she was going. Towards the end of the street, Jerrix saw a large wooded park, which Yoland walked into. At the far side stood a large brick structure, with two large columns guarding the main door.
Jerrix ran behind a large old twisted tree and peeked out.

Yoland had reached the dark wooden door and was knocking quite firmly. A few moments passed until an elderly gent answered the clarion call. To the cat’s understandable horror, Yoland suddenly drew out a weapon and shot the man dead.

As he slumped to the ground, she simply turned and walked back towards the hospital from which she had come.

Jerrix watched her go, cursing that he had not attempted to stop the cold-blooded murder. He gazed back towards the road they had come down and saw the dark vehicle seemingly waiting for him.

Shaking his dark furry head, Jerrix padded towards it and quickly climbed inside. He saw Trinity waiting for him in the rear seat.

“I have seen enough,” Jerrix whispered. “She killed him without a qualm. Who was he?”

Trinity looked rather grim.

“That was our former supreme judge. We learned that he had fallen foul of the government just last week.”

“Have you never tried to stop the murders?”

“Of course we have. Six of our men lost their lives trying.”

As Jerrix mulled things over in his mind, Trinity ordered the driver to return them to their base. When they got there, he was led through a second door and into an old storage area.

The two thugs who had kidnapped him were waiting. Trinity introduced the dark clad men.

“This is Roderik and Tamat. Two of my most trusted cohorts.”

Jerrix got a better view of them now. Tamat was brown haired and sported a small beard while Roderik was blonde and clean-shaven. Both men were tall and well built, and certainly looked on the dangerous side.

“Now that you have seen things for yourself,” Trinity said. “Any idea how we deal with it?”

“I think that is obvious,” the cat replied. “We stop this at source.”

“That could be a problem,” Tamat commented. “It is well guarded inside.”

“That does not surprise me one bit,” the cat replied. “I can see no other way you know.”

Roderik shook his head.

“Sounds daft to me mate. We would be cut down within moments.”

Jerrix walked across the floor and turned sharply.

“How about a medical crew. I become the patient while you two take me inside.”

“That might work,” Trinity said cheerfully. “What are you planning?”

Jerrix smiled and whispered, “Just get me inside and then you will see.”

Roderik scratched his head, obviously in deep thought.

“What’s the problem?” Jerrix asked.

“We need a damn ambulance.”

Tamat smiled.

“Let us hijack one then.”

Jerrix glanced from one to the other.

“I don’t think we have any choice,” he muttered.

A short time later, Trinity, Jerrix and the two men were skulking around Drew Street. At one time, this had been the busiest street in the city but tonight, it was as quiet as the grave.

The old deserted nightclubs lay silent as Tamat wandered slowly over to the public phone box.

Trinity glanced at the cat, the pistol hidden beneath her coat.

“I hope you are ready. Once he makes that call, it’s too late to back out.”

“Back out indeed, the cat said indignantly.

Moments later, Tamat ran headlong towards them.

“It’s coming.”

As planned, Trinity lay upon the dark street as a siren approached. The three desperados waited anxiously as the sleek vehicle came into view.

“Wait until they disembark, then we’ll hit them,” Roderik said softly as the vehicle drew to a halt.

As it did so, two white coated medics dived out and ran towards them.

“What’s the trouble,” one of them asked.

Without warning, Trinity sat up and pulling out the pistol fired four times. The medics screamed and rolled to the ground as the bullets hit home.

“Bloody but effective,” Jerrix commented as the two men removed the white coats and put them on.

“Right, you two into the rear,” Tamat said quickly.

Jerrix and Trinity ran to the vehicle and climbed inside, as their cohorts jumped into the cab. They felt it take off quickly and round the corner at high speed.

“I hope we don’t hit anything,” Jerrix commented.

“Don’t you worry,” Trinity said. “They know what they are doing.”

Jerrix now climbed onto the stretcher as Trinity covered him with a sheet. As he lay there, he fumbled inside his cloak, fingers closing upon the fork like device. He sighed with relief as the vehicle drew to a halt.

tudoravenger's photo
Wed 08/15/12 02:58 AM
Edited by tudoravenger on Wed 08/15/12 03:02 AM
The surrounding country was hard and rather on the dry side. As they rode on, Jerrix watched the ground carefully looking for signs of the posse.

Here and there, hoof marks could be clearly seen and the cat guided them deeper into the hot land. The land began to rise until they reached a rocky plateau. Down below, they saw a small ranch. The remaining hoof marks led in that direction.

Yoland and Jerrix dismounted before tying the animals to a bush. They crept low and stared down towards the base of the bandits.
“Looks as if we have found them,” Yoland commented.

The cat gazed hard and whispered, “No one seems to be around. One thing I’m sure of though, we will need some help.”

She nodded.

“You think the town will help us?”

“They had better,” he replied. “We are rather outnumbered.”

They climbed back on to their steeds and rode back into town. They dismounted at the jail and told Rawlings what they had seen.

“That’s the Jerry ranch alright. Surprises me though.”

Yoland stared coldly at him.

“Why is everyone lying to us?” she demanded. “What have these
Jerry’s got over everyone?”

Rawlings refused to answer such a leading question.

“This is what we are going to do,” Jerrix said. “I’ll go the bar and call for volunteers. Then we’ll go after them.”

Rawlings shook his old head.

“No one will go with you sheriff. Folks round here prefer a quiet sort of life.”

“Even at the cost of a lawman?” the cat hissed.

“Especially,” Rawlings replied. “You see, Mathew was not liked around here.”

“Few lawmen are,” Yoland said.

The cat looked straight at her.

“Seems it’s just you and I. When do you want to hit them?”

“Only you can see in the dark Jerrix. I suggest we do it before the sun sets.”

He nodded.

Across town, the bank was rather empty. The teller had just served an elderly woman when four gunmen burst in.

“Do as you are told and you’ll live.”

The teller shook with fear as they ran forward with guns drawn. He was manhandled into the rear where the solid safe was located.

“Open it,” the tall leader demanded.

The teller decided to cooperate and quickly rotated the barrel until the door clicked open. When it did, he was dragged out and beaten to the floor.

So far, everything had gone according to plan. Ian and Laurie Jerry with Mark and Saunders had spent weeks planning this. As they loaded their satchels with the money, they dreamed of the freedom that it would give them.

Within minutes, the safe was empty and the attackers ran from the empty building before galloping away. Upon the floor of the bank however, the teller lay stunned.

At the jailhouse, Yoland and Jerrix were collecting ammunition in satchels when an excited child burst in.

“They hit the bank sheriff. Saw them riding out.”

That was the last straw.

“Rawlings, go to the bank and see if you can help. Yoland and I will deal with this.”

The elderly deputy nodded, and taking his trusty shotgun he followed the child out.

“Are you ready?” the cat asked.

“Are you?”

He smiled, and placing the satchel over his shoulder marched out. His friend right behind him.
---
The companions rode hard towards the rocky ridge where Jerrix released the animals. Drawing his six-shooter, he crept slowly down towards the ranch where the bandits were celebrating their ill-gotten gains.

As they crept closer, Yoland whispered, “I have a suggestion if you will listen.”

The cat stopped and stared at her.

“Go ahead then.”

“We can’t hit them inside. Far too many muzzles in my opinion. Therefore, we take up position covering the door before firing through the window.”

“What about releasing the horses first? That will draw them out.
Your plan will simply result in a prolonged siege.”

“Have it your own way then.”

Jerrix pointed to the simple stables and they crept towards them. At the base of the ridge, they waited moments before making the final short dash.

The animals saw them coming but did not react. When Jerrix reached them, he quickly untied the reins and slapped the horse’s rear.

The horses bounded off, making a satisfying racket in the process. Within moments, the bandits rushed out to investigate. Yoland spotted a short fat male and let rip. The gunman yelled and went down heavily.

Jerrix heard a sudden yell.

“They got Mark damn it.”

“Keep your head down then.”

Jerrix pointed to a water butt and the friends dashed toward it.

“Three to go then,” Yoland whispered.

“Afraid so.”

He spotted Ian dashing toward a nearby bush and realised they were outflanked. Moments later bullets pattered around as Saunders fired from the side of the main building. Laurie remained near the stable and gave covering fire.

“They have us cold Jerrix,” Yoland pointed out.

“Not quite. Look. Fire toward the damn stable and I’ll rush the bush.”

Yoland was horrified.

“We know how that will end my friend. Five lives and counting.”

“Just do it will you?”

Yoland sent a volley of laser bolts toward the stable, bringing the roof crashing down in consequence. Jerrix broke cover, firing madly toward Ian who was cut down.

Diving beside the prostrate body, Jerrix called over.

“Now the odds are even.”

“Give yourselves up,” Yoland called.

Bullets whizzed around her in response as the cat shook his furry head.

“When I say now,” the cat called. “Let the stable have it.”

Then Jerrix shouted and Yoland let rip. The cat dashed forward as bullets streaked around him. He saw his target attempt to move back before cutting him down swiftly.

Diving down and panting heavily, Jerrix muttered, “I’m getting too old for this crap.”

Laurie was alone now and running short of ammo. Jerrix reached into his satchel and reloaded.

“Give it up man. It’s over.”

“I can’t,” Laurie shouted. “I would hang for sure.”

Yoland remained at the water butt and saw her chance. She broke cover running straight for Laurie when two shots rang out.

Jerrix saw her roll before lying still.

“You alright Yoland?”

Only silence greeted him.

From the side of the main building a sinister laugh drifted through the dry air.

“Only us left now sheriff. Are you brave enough to draw?”

The desperate feline thought it over.

“Go ahead then,” he yelled back. “The best man wins eh.”

The cat emerged slowly, fearing a double cross. As he padded into
full view, he saw Laurie walk clear. He noted the drawn weapon pointing straight at him.

“Not much of a gent then,” the cat said as he watched the trigger finger.

“I play by my own rules sheriff. That’s how it works around here.”

“So I see. Why kill Sheriff Mathew?”

Laurie laughed.

“You still don’t get it do you. Mathew was a hopeless drunk. He walked into the bar while I was there and blew his brains out.”

This news shocked the cat.

“I have been chasing shadows.”

“Exactly my friend. I only ran to tell my friends.”

Suddenly it all fitted into place.

“That explains why you did not open fire.”

Laurie nodded.

“All this death sheriff. Happy are we?”

“You should not have robbed the bank.”

“We planned that weeks ago. We only brought it forward because you were jumping around.”

“I’m still bringing you in,” the cat hissed.

Laurie laughed as his trigger finger tightened. A sudden crack ripped through the air and Jerrix saw the man twirl wildly before crashing down.

The cat glanced at Yoland and saw her releasing the laser pistol. Dashing over, he rolled the body and saw the bullet holes across her chest.

“We got them eh.”

“You saved my life Yoland. Don’t worry though, I’ll patch you up.”

She laughed weakly before coughing violently.

“Wish I could change colour,” she gasped.

The cat smiled and pressed his gold throat clasp. He glanced over and saw the faint green glow of his ship.

“You only have a short distance to go Yoland. I won’t allow you to die here.”

There was no response. The former security guard was dead.

tudoravenger's photo
Tue 08/14/12 08:22 AM
“As I was trying to tell you, on that ship of mine we are taught about bio matrix reformation.”

“I’m quite impressed Yoland. It’s not normally known about.”

Yoland stopped as she saw the old style frontier town.

“Why are we on Earth in the nineteenth century?” she asked in horror.

“Look at the three moons’. This is Walli on the planet Doran. About five years ago, I made friends with the sheriff. I just want to see him again.”

Yoland shuddered.

“It looks pretty unsafe to me,” she commented.

Just ahead, down the dusty main street, tall wooden buildings stood against the bright sky. Hotels, bars and the town jail stood on that famous thoroughfare. Beautiful, brown horses were tied up outside.

“I suppose he will be at the jail,” Jerrix said shaking him.

“Are you sure that you are okay?”

“Stop nattering Yoland. Like the ship I have to run myself in.”
“Oh I see. Well, let’s go to the jail then.”

As they approached the rowdy bar, a shot rang out followed by an armed man running into view. Jerrix saw the dusty clothes and white cowboy hat quite clearly. He also saw the six-shooter.

“Hit the dirt,” the cat yelled fearing another bullet.”

The gunman ignored them and mounting a horse, rode into the distance. They scrambled up and Jerrix sprinted inside the bar. When she joined him, they saw a bleeding man lying upon the floor. The clientele mostly sat drinking as a doctor attended.

“Sheriff Mathew,” Jerrix said reaching him.
The injured man looked up, squinting.

“Jerrix. Silly time for you to turn up.”

“Don’t speak. How is he doing doc?”

The medical man, dressed in black clothes, shook his head.
The cat knelt at his friend’s side.

“I told you to retire mate.”

The injured man pulled off his badge and held it for the cat,
“I’m deputising you Jerrix. You are now sheriff. Find the killer for me...”

His eyes rolled and closed as life left his body. The cat pinned the badge to his dark blue cloak and stood up.

“You heard my late friend. I’m now sheriff. I want to know what you all saw.”

The barman tapped his shoulder. Turning around, Jerrix regarded the tall, dark haired gent.

“It looked like one of the Jerry brother's sheriff. Mathew was drinking with me when he burst in and shot him in the back.”
Jerrix thanked him.

“Anyone else?”

There was only silence.

Jerrix shook his head and marched out heading for the town jail. As Yoland caught up, he hissed, “Whoever did this is a dead man.”

“I can understand your ire, but surely this is no way to live safely.”

The cat stopped.

“Are you telling me you wish to leave?”

“Of course not Jerrix. I just don’t want you to lose another life.”

“Thanks for the concern Yoland. Now let’s see what our deputies are like.”

He marched into the jail and saw an old gent sitting upon a chair holding a loaded shotgun. Another empty chair sat at the far side.
“Who might you be?” he asked noting the badge.

“Jerrix Tau mate. Who’s that in the cell?”

“Ian Jerry mate. Sleeping it off.”

“Wake him up now,” Jerrix demanded.

“I see the badge mister but I don’t take orders from you.”

The cat shook with rage.

“Mathews is dead and I think this rogue had something to do with it.”

“Oh I see,” the deputy replied. “Why did you not say so?

“I’m telling you now,” Jerrix replied.

The gent stood and slowly unlocked the door before stepping aside.

The cat marched in and slapped the sleeping man’s face.

“Wake up you scoundrel.”

The young thin prisoner, dressed in dark frilly top and trousers woke with a start.

“Hey, lay off sheriff.”

The cat held him tightly by the throat.

“Why did your brother have Mathew killed?”

The young man looked quite shocked.

“He would never do that. Tell him Rawlings. I’m only here for drinking too much.”

Jerrix released him and turning, faced the grey haired deputy.

“Is that right?”

“Sure is sheriff. The Jerry brothers may be rowdy, but they ain’t no killers.”

In desperation now, Jerrix glanced at Yoland for support.

“You could have been lied to,” she suggested.

The cat pushed his way out of the cell and ordered it locked. He spotted the rail of weapon belts and pulled one on. He examined the six-shooter as if contemplating using it.

“This is about revenge you know,” Yoland warned him. “What happened to justice?”

“There is a time and place for everything Yoland. This is personal.”

“Oh I can see that my friend,” she commented.

“Who told you it was a Jerry brother?” Rawlings asked.

“The barman did.”

“If I were you,” Rawlings told him. “I would go back there and demand the truth.”

The cat gazed at him and nodded.

“Come on Yoland. I’ll beat the truth out of him if necessary.”

The annoyed feline walked up the dusty street and pushed open the half size doors of the bar. As everyone looked, he marched up to the bar and slammed his paw upon it.

“You liar. The Jerry brothers did not kill my friend. If you don’t cough up, I’ll blow your brains out.”

“That’s murder sheriff,” one of the drinkers said.

The cat ignored him.

“So what will it be barman?”

The tall owner seemed to think it over as Jerrix fingered his holster.

Rather coolly, the barman turned and shouted, “Molly. Get in here.”

As a younger woman dressed in a large woolly outfit walked behind the bar, the owner indicated that Jerrix should follow.

As he was led into a rear room, Yoland followed.

She saw that it was a rather small living area with simple bed and cooking facility.

“Okay sheriff you win. Truth is I was in here when Mathew was shot.”

“Who was running the bar?” Yoland asked.

“Callum was. He is the blacksmith.”

Jerrix thought back.

“I did not see him.”

“He slipped out the back sheriff. Thought better of getting into trouble.”

“Very well barman. I’ll speak to this Callum. Pray that he confirms your story.”

With that threatening statement, the cat and Yoland walked away.

“I think he is telling the truth now Jerrix. So don’t shoot this Callum.”

“I have no intention of doing so Yoland. We will get to the bottom of this right now.”
---
They found the blacksmith working happily inside his workshop, lazily shoeing a brown-skinned horse. Yoland glanced at his young, topless well-muscled body. She noted the brown trousers with frills.

“You Callum?” she asked pleasantly.

“What if I am,” he replied without looking up.

“I’m Jerrix the new sheriff. You saw Mathew killed.”

The blacksmith stopped, patting the horse lightly.

“Yeah I was there mate. What do you want to know?”

The cat smiled.

“Now we are getting somewhere. Did you recognise the gunman?”

“Actually no. Never seen him before.”

“I take it this is a small neighbourhood?” Yoland asked.

“Pretty small.”

“So this killer does not live here,” she continued.

“That’s right mam. Probably came from the plains.”

“Many killers there?” Jerrix asked casually.

“Quite a few sheriff. At least a dozen out there. Travelling ain’t safe anymore.”

“I believe him,” Yoland said confidently.

“So do I,” the cat replied.

“Do us a favour Callum. If you see this man again let me know.”

“Sure thing sheriff.”

They walked off towards the town jail where Deputy Rawlings waited.

“Find out anything?” the deputy asked.

“Not much,” Jerrix confessed. How is our prisoner?”

“Ready to leave,” Ian replied.

“You’ll go in the morning,” the cat told him.

“Oh great,” Yoland muttered.

“How about me?” Rawlings asked.

“You go home now. We will look after the prisoner. See you in the morning.”

The old deputy placed the shotgun inside the weapons rack and hobbled outside.

The cat sat down.

“Take a seat Yoland. It may be a rather long night.”

She sat on the far side and folded her arms.

“Cheer up Yoland. Your security duties must have been just as boring.”

“Oh it’s not that Jerrix. I’m just afraid of being filled with lead.”

The cat glanced at her and smiled.

Soon after sunset, they heard wolves crying from the distance. Their prisoner had fallen asleep, looking forward to his forthcoming release.

“Sounds fairly quiet out there,” Yoland commented.

“I want it that way. Makes listening quite easy.”

“You have a plan don’t you?”

“Oh I may have. Let’s just see shall we?”

The hours passed slowly, as sounds of animals drifted through the air. Jerrix suddenly heard hooves pounding toward them. He pulled his weapon and leapt up.

“Get ready Yoland. This could be interesting.”

The former guard produced her laser pistol and stood beside the closed door. The sounds stopped.

“They may just be passing through,” Yoland whispered.

“I sure hope so.”

Moments later, the rear wall was blasted open by dynamite and a startled Ian was dragged outside. Yoland and Jerrix dashed out the front, just in time to see their man riding into the distance with three others.

“That’s all we need,” the cat hissed. “They made mugs of us.”

“So who knew about him I wonder?”

The cat glanced at her.

“Surely everyone can’t be lying to us?”

“Unless everyone is dead scared of the Jerry’s,” she replied.

They padded back inside the wrecked jailhouse as people came out of the buildings to investigate.

“Some damn mess,” the cat said.

At that moment, old Rawlings hobbled back in.

“Too late my friend,” the cat said grimly. “The bird has fled the cage.”

“No worries sheriff,” the old gent said. “We’ll have it fixed up before morning.”

“Glad to hear it. I find this terribly embarrassing.”

“At least you are alive,” Rawlings said. “You should think yourself lucky.”

The cat grinned as the old gent left once more.

“Come on Yoland, time for bed,” he said sitting himself down. “These chairs will do.”

Neither one of them slept very well sitting up. When morning came, they were both quite knackered.

Old Rawlings arrived with a squad of builders.

“Think you can put that right?” he asked.

“Sure thing deputy. A couple of hours should do it. Morning sheriff.”

He nodded and decided fresh air was far better than sitting there.
He left the builders to it as Yoland joined him.

“If you are thinking of going after them don’t bother,” she warned him. “There is far too many.”

“I was thinking of that,” he admitted.

“Thought so.”

“Just a short trek, promise.”

“We had better find a horse then,” she suggested.

“You can ride?”

“Of course I can. How do you think I kept in shape?”

He was really surprised by this and they visited the blacksmith once more. As usual, he was topless and working away.

“Morning sheriff,” Callum said cheerily. “Hear you had some trouble.”

“Sure did. We need two mounts. Can you help?”

The blacksmith stopped his work and led them to a side shed. Inside were four waiting horses.

“Take your pick sheriff. Just don’t lose them.”

Yoland chose the black steed while the cat went for a brown model. They led the animals out and climbed on board. Digging their knees in, the horses galloped out of town.

tudoravenger's photo
Mon 08/13/12 09:35 AM
Doctor Wilson took the travellers by car through the small town traffic. She stopped outside a lightly coloured elegant building with a pillared doorway. Two hours had passed since the two traffic wardens had died.

“This is the mayor’s residence,” she told him stepping outside.

Jerrix and Yoland followed her into the reception area where a guard took them to the official’s office.

When they entered, they found a military officer standing beside him. Jerrix gazed at the line of books behind the carved desk before looking at the mayor himself.

He was dressed in a dark suit and rather young looking, despite being bald. The officer however was tall and around fifty. His shiny grey uniform was adorned with badges of rank.

“This is General Marshall,” the mayor told them.

“What are you doing here?” the cat asked suspiciously.

“I was just telling the mayor that yesterday’s explosion at the lab did not threaten public safety.”

“What lab?” the doctor asked.

“A chemical one,” the general answered. “Two volatile chemicals mixed and a lot of our men died.”

“Which brings us to the main point,” the mayor butted in. “You said four had died from combustion.”

“That’s correct sir. I believe fleas are responsible,” Jerrix told him.

“Fleas?” the mayor replied. “What makes you say that?”

The cat swallowed hard.

“I found charred fleas upon all four victims sir. It’s clear to me they are responsible.”

“Sounds barmy to me,” the general muttered.

The doctor shuffled her feet.

“What about you doctor?” the mayor asked.

“I agree with Jerrix sir.”

“Look,” the cat butted in. “The charring destroyed the evidence sir.

If I could collect a live sample you will have your proof.”

The mayor was intrigued by the suggestion.

“Go ahead then. I cannot act until I have that proof.”

When they left the building, they saw an elderly woman suddenly collapse upon the pavement, smoking heavily.

“Not another one,” the doctor muttered.

“We need to examine her too I’m afraid,” Jerrix pointed out.

Back inside the autopsy lab, the cat was once more peering through the microscope lens. He sighed before stepping back.

The doctor peered for a moment and muttered, “Another flea. Seems your theory is correct.”

“What I don’t understand,” Yoland said. “What is the actual mechanism?”

“I suspect the virus shuts down the body’s cooling system. That would cause a rapid temperature rise.”

“Not natural then?” the doctor asked.

The cat shook his furry head.

“Not likely. These fleas have been turned into weapons. That general is hiding something.”

“Yesterday’s explosion,” Yoland reminded him.

“Obviously,” the cat replied.

“You really think they would go that far?” the doctor asked.

“The military have been known to go further my dear,” Jerrix said.

After a moment the cat said, “What I need is a bio suit and a specimen bottle.”

Yoland was suddenly alarmed.

“You are not going to catch one are you?”

“It’s the only way my dear. That mayor wants proof. I’ll give him it.”

The doctor dashed off and returned moments later with the required suit. As Yoland watched, the cat pulled on the silver suit and donned the helmet.

“Keys please.”

The doctor handed them over and the cat thanked her.

“You had better come back,” Yoland said.

Jerrix smiled and replied, “I always do my dear.”

They watched as the cat strutted out.

He drove the vehicle out of town, the fork shaped device in the top pocket of his suit. As he entered the countryside, he gazed around at the peaceful scene.

Across a field, he spotted some cattle and stopped at once. Taking his specimen bottle, he stepped out and wandered toward them.

“This should be easy,” he muttered.

As he reached a docile animal, he waived the device across the hide and gently scraped the insects into his bottle.

“Should be enough.”

He gazed across the field, and near a water trough saw a charred figure upon the ground.

“Another damn victim.”

He gazed toward the farm and spotted a cattle shed which he decided to investigate. As he peeked inside, he saw a haze of insects hovering over a sleeping animal.

These were not fleas you understand, but he quickly realised where his quarry was located.

“I just hope they stay there,” he said strutting outside.

Returning to the autopsy lab, he reported his findings before placing his specimens under the microscope. As he examined each one, he muttered to himself until he gasped.

“Got you. Take a look at this.”

The doctor looked and whispered, “Those red cells upon the proboscis must be viral sacks.”

“They are indeed,” the cat replied. “I think that is proof enough.”

“What now?” Yoland asked.

The cat smiled.

“The doctor warns the mayor whilst I mix up a small firebomb. Come on.”

As the doctor phoned the official with the bad news, Jerrix found the chemicals he needed and mixed them carefully. He poured them into a small bottle and sealed it.

“I only need to shake this and boom.”

Yoland smiled as the doctor reported the latest news.

“The mayor has ordered the clearing of the streets. He also expects us to deal with them.”

“Typical official,” Yoland commented.

The cat faced them both.

“I know where they are my dear. We will need suits for you two though.”

The doctor dashed out as Jerrix and Yoland headed for the car.
Minutes later the doctor joined them and Jerrix gunned the engine.

He easily reached the farm where his suspects still remained. As his friends suited up he said, “We may only have one chance at this.”

“Then it had better work,” the doctor advised him.

As Jerrix smiled, they left the car and padded towards the cattle shed. He was careful not to shake the bottle until it was absolutely necessary.

As they approached carefully, Jerrix handed his fork like device to Yoland.

“When I say press it my dear, kindly do so.”

She nodded as the shed came into view.

“Are you sure this is the lot of them?” the doctor asked.

“I sure hope so,” the cat replied. “It’s the obvious place for them.”

They reached the closed doors and Jerrix breathed deeply.

“When I shake this, I enter, throw and leave.”

“Then we run?” Yoland suggested.

“Oh yes my dear. Then we run.”

His friends counted down before opening the exterior doors. Jerrix dashed inside, shaking the bottle vigorously. He saw the unfortunate dozing animal as he tossed the makeshift bomb at the haze of insects.

He turned quickly and dashed out, as the doors were slammed shut. Seconds later, the shed was engulfed by a raging fireball. The friends turned looking back at the inferno.

“I think that should do it,” the cat muttered. “The mayor needs to act against the military so that nothing like this can happen again.”

“I’ll see to that,” the doctor replied pulling off her bio suit.

Yoland removed her own and was happy to be out. Jerrix glanced at the grazing animals as he finally removed his.

“Well now,” he muttered. “I believe we can go now my dear.”

“Thanks for your help,” Doctor Wilson said shaking their hands.

The two travellers found their way back to the track that led towards the hidden ship.

“Do you think the general will listen?” Yoland asked.

“Would you?”

Yoland shook her head.

As the soft green glow came into view, the cat slapped the rear of his neck.

“Damn midges,” he muttered.

“Those we can deal with,” Yoland said laughing.

Jerrix felt a sudden rise in body temperature and staggered a little.

“What’s up?” Yoland asked.

“One of the fleas bit me,” Jerrix moaned as he gazed through the sea of pain.

“Oh no,” Yoland gasped. “Which vial do you need?”

The cat shook his black furry head as he saw his paws charring.

“Nothing can deal with this my dear,” he gasped as smoke poured from his tortured body.

She saw him crash headlong and kneeling, turned him over quickly.
Incredibly, he was still alive.

“Yoland,” he gasped. “This could be the end you know. May not survive this...”

His frail voice faded as his bright yellow eyes closed. Jerrix went deathly still. As Yoland watched, the body rapidly faded until only a ghostly silhouette remained. Then just as rapidly, the cat returned to solidity.

Jerrix scrambled up, gazing at his paws.

“I never have white paws,” he muttered.

“Your face has gone white too I’m afraid. Even that white bib has gone.”

Jerrix stared at her.

“How about the rest of me?” he enquired.

“Still black Jerrix. You look quite cute.”

He scowled.

“Cute indeed,” he muttered, marching towards the soft green light.

He suddenly stopped and glanced back.

“I suddenly realised. I have only six lives left.”

“Then be more careful,” Yoland suggested.

“We shall see about that,” he replied marching into the hidden ship.

tudoravenger's photo
Sun 08/12/12 05:06 PM
Pain rises as I walk through this dark and menacing forest.
Red eyes gleam from the surrounding gloom,
hidden from others by marsh gas.
I gaze at these savage and unfamiliar surroundings.
---
I look overhead at the dense, but dark sky. Wondering where the stars have gone.
There should be stars, surely?
I trip over a fallen tree, bark stripped by carnivores of unknown origin.
---
What is this place? Where am I?
Frantic thoughts as I spot a circle of stones.
Stone Henge in appearance, unbroken by times awful passage.
I wander over fascinated, but terribly confused.
---
I enter the circle and see the central stone block.
The block is occupied however.
To one side stands a cloaked druid with knife raised.
I approach slowly, glaring at the apparent victim.
A naked man, an all too familiar one too.
I gaze upon myself, a mute version.
Awaiting the terminal blow.
The high priest raises the ceremonial dagger.
---
I shout suddenly as it descends.
A searing pain rupturing my broken heart.
The other me, the victim of this hellish ceremony,
Bucks instantly as the blade strikes home.
---
Then lies as still as death. All breath stopped.
Heart ceased forever.
I am on my knees now.
The bloody blade rises above the corpse.
---
A great shout goes up as I collapse upon my back.
Unable to move now.
The circle of stone fades from my view as darkness descends.
Then I see someone.
---
A lone typist. Eyes screwed upon his latest line.
He shakes his head and types on.
I scream for life as he types the final line.
As keys strike pad, my existence is terminated forever.

tudoravenger's photo
Sun 08/12/12 11:32 AM
Ta my dear...

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 08/11/12 03:07 PM
I watched you hunter gatherers, searching across Africa's sun scorched landscape. Watched you as you settled upon Ur..Then I asked. "Who are these people?"

I watched as your civilisation expanded, until the Earth seethed with man...Then I watched your wars...Killing of your fellow man.

I watched as Greeks and Romans dominated warfare, killing tens of thousands...

I watched as morals disintegrated, until global war began.
Trenches, machine guns and lastly gas chambers.

Then I saw Hiroshima and Nagasaki being destroyed. A mushroom cloud rising over a devastated land.

I watched the Cold War heat up, die down. I watched as man calmed down.

I watched as the Arab Spring arrived. As a wave of destruction swept the land.

I watched as Syria detonated...

Today, in my safe place, I watch as man crosses the brink. Descending into the depths of hell. Of purgatory.

I watch and weep for a species that promised so much, and delivered such Earth scorching evil.

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 08/11/12 11:47 AM

For the geneticist this was a dangerous time. He was forty-two and had worked in this underground lab for the past five years. Rather tall and good-looking, Robert had doubts about the military ethics.

The problem was they did not agree with him. Bio engineering fleas was one thing. Turning them into a deadly weapon was quite another.
The fact that they could not breed had been a victory for him.
Robert had insisted upon it.

As these disturbing thoughts drifted through his mind, his buzzer went and he answered it.

“We are ready for the test sir.”

He thanked the caller and walked rapidly down the corridor towards the test lab. When he entered, he saw three technicians looking at a rather old individual sealed inside a glass case. A single green tube led from the top and into the rear wall.

“How is containment holding up?” Robert asked.

“Pressure is normal sir,” a short technician replied.

“Does anyone else think this is wrong?” he asked.

There was no response.

“Release the fleas,” he ordered.

As he watched the test subject sitting in the corner of the containment vessel, everyone waited for the expected results. They watched as he slapped his cheek in surprise as he was bitten. Then the effect began. First, his skin began changing colour until it looked like coal. This was followed by hellish screaming as smoke began to pour from his body. Seconds later, the poor man ignited.

As flames turned him rapidly into toast, the glass exterior began to soot up. This had of course been expected. The violence of the effect had shocked Robert. It had shocked everyone.

Their thoughts had been interrupted by a klaxon and a computer voice saying repeatedly, “containment breach.”

Robert watched in horror as his colleagues began slapping themselves violently. Panic stricken now, he ran out of the test lab before bolting into his office. He activated a screen and shouted into it.

“General, the damn things have escaped!”

A middle-aged calm military man sighed and replied, “Activate the detonator.”

Robert dashed across to the far wall and punched in his security code. A single button flipped into view and he slammed his fist upon it. Then he too slapped his cheek and followed his colleagues into the bowels of hell.

The lab remained intact for another twenty minutes as the detonation sequence counted down. During that time, the weaponries fleas traced themselves to an air conduit and escaped into the outside world.

About a mile away, the residents of the farming town heard the blast eighteen minutes later. Of course, by that time it was far too late.

The fleas ignored the explosion as they flew in a tight pack into the distance. Just ahead, lay a small cattle farm with its single occupant working in the field.

He had seen the explosion of course. Wondered what had caused it. As he filled the trough for his animals, he suddenly slapped his bare arm.

“Pesky midges,” he cursed.

He suddenly felt himself sweating and saw the skin turning coal black. He staggered off as smoke poured from his overheating body before collapsing face down. Seconds later, the latest victim ignited.

As the cat joined Yoland outside, he still felt a little groggy. He gazed around at the quiet country scene.

“Where are we?” Yoland asked.

“Traix of course. Nice and peaceful. Look over there.”

She followed his gaze and saw a cattle grazing on a field of green grass.

The sun shone overhead from a cloudless sky and the track led towards a small town. Jerrix padded away from his ship going in that direction.

“You never said what you saw?” she reminded him.

“Just a vision of the Grim Reaper my dear. Nothing to be alarmed about.”

Along the verge, wild flowers grew in profusion and their scents made the air as sweet as honey. On this planet though, that delicacy was unheard of.

The small peaceful town came into view and they noticed the small school on the outer fringe. As they got nearer, they could see the children playing quite happily.

“Reminds me of my school days,” Jerrix muttered as they left the track and joined the asphalt.

“On my ship,” Yoland explained. “Learning is directly into the brain. After a year or two, we know what everyone else does.”

Jerrix was a little taken aback by this revelation.

“Sounds rather boring to me,” he muttered.

They stopped by the school gates watching the purple clad pupils at play. Behind the small playground sat a squat building constructed from dark stone. Its black sloping roof designed to redirect the rainstorms, which came frequently here.

“If only I could go back,” the cat muttered to himself.

A sudden scream took their attention. As they watched one of the pupils collapsed upon the hard surface, smoke pouring from her. A second pupil suddenly screamed and went down too.

“Come on Yoland,” Jerrix yelled dashing inside.

As children scattered and teachers ran from the building the travellers looked down upon the smoking corpse. Both were shocked to the core.

“What happened?” an elderly teacher asked.

Jerrix glanced at her.

“Spontaneous combustion. What do you think? Call an ambulance.”

The teacher pulled her phone out and did just that, as her colleagues led the weeping children back inside the building.

“What could have caused it?” Yoland asked looking at the second corpse.

“One thing I’m sure off my dear. We will get to the bottom of this mystery.”

When the ambulance arrived, Jerrix took full charge. He helped place the bodies inside, and pulling Yoland behind him took the vehicle to the small town hospital.

They had waited in the reception area for roughly an hour when a young female doctor walked up to them. Her long white coat hid the slender body underneath. As she stopped, she wiped the ginger hair from her eyes.

“I understand you were first upon the scene.”

“We were indeed doctor eh...?”

“Wilson,” the medic replied.

“Had many of these?” Yoland asked.

“Actually no,” the doctor replied. “These are the first two.”

She paused for a moment.

“The schoolteacher reports that you mentioned spontaneous combustion.”

Jerrix nodded.

“That’s a rather strange thing to suggest you know.”

“It fits the facts my dear. I would expect more cases to turn up shortly.”

“You are a medical man then?”

“I have been about,” he replied pleasantly.

“Ever examined a crispy corpse before?” she asked carefully.

“If that is an invite my dear. I would be happy to investigate.”

She stared at them both and said, “Come with me to the autopsy lab then.”

A little later, Jerrix, Yoland and Doctor Wilson were standing in a rather grim autopsy lab. Regulations had demanded the wearing of protective clothing, regardless of its clumsiness.

The cat pointed to the dark crisp exterior of the child’s skin.

“As you can see doctor, the heating originated from the interior. Thing is why?”

“It certainly looks like,” the doctor commented.

“I’ll need tweezers,” the cat said.

She handed him a pair and the cat carefully parted some of the charred material. The uniform had clearly fused with the underlying tissue.

Yoland looked on grim faced. She had seen corpses before but never this close.

“You alright my dear?”

She nodded.

Suddenly the cat spotted something and demanded a glass slide. He then placed the dark fragment onto it and padded over to a waiting microscope.

Placing the slide underneath, he examined his find.

“Well, well. It’s not a fragment of tissue after all.”

“What is it?” the doctor asked.

“It’s a flea my dear. You know. I think we have found the culprit.”

The doctor scoffed at the very suggestion.

“That is just not possible,” she said sternly. “Yes they carry disease but this...?”

“I know it is rather farfetched my dear but how else can you explain its presence?”

“Oh that’s simple,” she replied. “She probably has a pet at home.
This flea hopped on and got fried when she did.”

“Seems reasonable enough to me,” Yoland said.

The cat paused thinking to himself.

“Let’s take a look at the second victim shall we?”

He padded across to the second child and carefully probed with the tweezers.

“Ahh, now this should prove it.”

He placed the second specimen upon a slide and once more examined it underneath the microscope. Then he stepped back.

“Take a look Doctor Wilson. I never believe in coincidence.”

The good doctor peered at the lens and said, “Another flea okay. I still don’t buy it though.”

Jerrix was incensed.

“What proof do you need?”

“An explanation,” the doctor replied. “How these fleas reduce their victims to toast would be a good start.”

Moments later, her buzzer went off and she barked into it, “Yes, I’m rather busy right now. Oh no. Okay bring them to the autopsy lab right away.”

The good doctor glanced up.

“Two traffic wardens have just been brought in. Toasted. Just like the kids.”

The cat glared at her.

“You had better inform the mayor.”

The doctor tapped his black nose with her finger.

“You had better have an explanation.”

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 08/11/12 11:23 AM
Brown, gnarled wood stood reaching up towards heaven,
a goal unreachable for this tree.
Standing in this grim acre of land that the animals avoided.

Warped, dark bark and dead branches surrounded by brown leaves.
Even as the summer heat rose to unbearable levels.
Even as sea gulls swooped overhead, being careful not to land.

Planted a century before on Halloween, at the stroke of midnight.
Planted by dark women, three of them.
Followers of Satan, evil to the core of their very being.

Long condemned by decent folk, long burnt to a crisp on that righteous pyre.
The Halloween tree stands firm and tall even now.
A trail of animal corpses will lead you there.

Hares, rabbits, and stoats with bleached bones,
picked clean by other vermin.
A trail of horror leading to this.

Fifty years previous three men vowed to chop it down.
Not one of them was ever seen again by eyes of man.
Their fate unknown to this day.

As you gaze upon this Halloween tree notice the strong scent
of sulphur.
Notice the strange mist that descends at midnight and the cackle of evil laughter.
Notice the infernal silence that pervades this place.

The Halloween tree stands waiting for something.
What that something is remains unknown.
Darkness descends once more.
Mist and evil obscure it from view.

Until the dawn rises once more and reveals its dark
form and dreaded prospect.

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 08/11/12 11:22 AM
Sadly this experience is real...Happened 3 hours after closing account...Had fearful premonition...

You may notice an even darker streak to my stories and poems now. Not surprising.

So I'm back..Much pain due to damage. Boxful of ruddy tablets..

Only my tortured mind remains whole..

So I sit and type, listening to hallowwen music..Loudly...

2nd poem that perhaps reflects my current state follows...

PS...Jerrix will continue...

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 08/11/12 11:18 AM
It started late as I lay upon the sofa reading.
The weight of life bearing heavily upon me.
As I flicked the page, the pain arrived.
Tearing up my arm and shredding the heart from body.

A sudden wave of nausea flooded my tortured body as I
Fell into a pit of leering darkness.
A dim light at the end of a rotating tunnel.
Awareness of body gone, so it seemed.

Then a sudden crash as I scrambed for a phone,
A desperate call in this strange crisis.
Then a loud knock, door broken open.
Peaceful darkness once more.

A bell had rang somewhere, it woke me up.
My blue eyes peered for angels and nurses came
running.
An alarm had gone off.
Awake once more came the examination.
Post mortem on my incident.
Grim faces and even grimmer conclusion.
I stared up uncaring at last.

Today I decided to leave this rancid place.
Had to get out. Convnce them that someone was home.
There was of course, my loving cat.
She howled as I wandered in, I cried too.

It had been a close thing. A brush with the Grim Reaper.
Only consequences remain now. A clock ticking down.
It will tick loudly until the pain returns that final time.
When peaceful darkness enfolds my shattered soul.

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 08/04/12 04:15 PM
Sadly..That was last post..Have to leave internet due to escalating health probs..Spent today deactivating accounts...Thanks for reading...Happy Writer...

tudoravenger's photo
Thu 08/02/12 08:44 AM
Terry returned from his next shift in a rather jolly mood. When he entered the small van, he raised his hands.

“I would like you two to meet some friends of mine.”

“We would be happy to,” Yoland replied.

They followed him out as darkness began to descend. For now, the clearing operations had been completed. Terry led them across the debris field towards a large Red Cross tent, which they entered easily.

Jerrix saw three people staring at them. Everyone dressed in remnants of clothes that had seen better days.

“Allow me to make the introductions,” Terry said as the people came towards them.

“This is Helen, a former nurse.”

Jerrix shook her frail outstretched hand and noted the pale complexion.

“Nice to see you sir,” she said softly.

“This is Jemima,” Terry said.

Jerrix saw a short woman sitting in a wheelchair. It was obvious that her legs had been amputated below the knee.

The cat shook her hand as a third survivor came up to them. The cat thought he recognised the gent. He saw the thin body and dark hair and rubbed his chin.

“You look rather familiar,” Jerrix told him.

“We spoke at the stockade perimeter,” the gent said. “I’m George.”

The cat shook his hand gently.

“Now that we are all introduced,” Terry said. “This of course is the hero who saved us.”

The survivors laughed. All but George.

“I was no hero that day,” the cat said. “The fighters who lost their lives are the real ones.”

“Oh I think you are too modest,” George said. “Where did you hide yourself after the battle?”

It was an awkward question that Jerrix managed to side step.

“Here and there you know.”

Terry grinned and pointed to Helen.

“After the battle she helped with the sick and injured you know.”

“Must have been many to treat,” Yoland said.

“Quite a few I’m afraid. We lost far too many.”

“As for that darkness,” Jemima chipped in. “None of us could figure out how it happened. Parting gift from the machines perhaps.”

“I suspect that you are right my dear,” the cat relied. “I don’t think they will risk another attack.”

“Not while you are here I bet,” Terry commented.

“I lost my sister you know,” George whispered. “Happened as we dashed across camp.”

“You are not the only bereaved person,” Jemima reminded him. “The whole planet’s in sorrow.”

“I still think,” George continued. “We have survived without your help.”

The cat felt his bitterness and understood perfectly. Terry though was none too pleased.

“You can’t blame Jerrix for that mate. None of us would be here now if he had not led the attack.”

“You would also still be under the machines,” Yoland reminded everyone.

A burly worker wearing a blue helmet suddenly dashed in panting.

“We found something in the rubble of the old school.”

“What do you mean something?” Jemima asked.

“No idea. Never saw anything like it.”

“I suppose I had better take a look,” Jerrix muttered. “Come on then.”

Yoland followed him out as the survivors chatted among themselves.
As she left, the voice of George could be heard saying, “I hope he gets blown up.”

Jerrix followed the worker towards a heap of cleared rubble and at the far end stopped. The worker pointed towards the strange silver object.

“A damn prionic ioniser,” he hissed.

“A what?” the workman asked.

“It’s a bomb sir,” the cat replied. “Quite capable of reducing your planet to a ball of molten rock.”

“Surely it’s deactivated,” Yoland suggested as they approached it.

“Probably failed to go off due to malfunction,” Jerrix said. “However, the jolting may have triggered it.”

The cat pulled the fork like device from the deep pocket of his cloak and waived it a little.

“It’s definitely counting down.”

“You had better do something then,” Yoland suggested.

The cat glanced at the workman.

“I need a tool box right now.”

As he ran off, Jerrix examined the torpedo shaped weapon.

“That side plate needs to be removed so that I can disarm the firing pin.”

Yoland saw the dull square plate he was talking about.

“Here we are sir,” the workman said returning.

The cat removed a screwdriver and slowly extracted the four screws.
He laid the screwdriver down and gently removed the plate.

“Looks complicated,” Yoland commented staring at the wires.

The cat pointed to a square box in the midst of it.

“That is the firing mechanism. Now, if I cut the green and yellow wires...”

He reached into the toolbox and pulled out the wire cutters. He cut the aforementioned wires and sighed.

“Now Yoland. Gently raise the box until its base is level with the casing. Whatever you do, don’t drop it.”

The workman was sweating too.

“I don’t suppose clearing the area is any good,” he muttered.

“No it won’t be,” the cat replied. “If this goes up, we all go up.”

Yoland reached inside and carefully raised the box as instructed. A single red wire hung from the base.

“Cutting this should solve our problem.”

The cat slowly severed the wire and breathed a sigh of relief.

“You can put that down now,” he told Yoland.

“Thankfully you were around to do that,” the workman said.

As everyone stood, someone yelled from behind them. They saw George running recklessly in their direction.

“What does he want?” Yoland asked.

George reached them, swinging his fist violently at the cat. There was a thud and Jerrix went down hard.
---
“Grab him!” Yoland said as George prepared to stick the boot in. The workman quickly wrapped his arms around the assailant to prevent his escape as Terry ran from the tent.

“Sorry, he just went mad,” he explained sprinting towards them.

“No real harm caused,” Jerrix commented climbing to his feet.

As George struggled, Terry placed an arm around his shoulder.

“Come on mate. You can’t hold a grudge.”

George appeared to calm down and when everyone was satisfied, Terry
led him back towards the tent.

“Perhaps it’s time to go,” Yoland suggested. “The locals are becoming restive.”

“What about this?” the workman asked pointing to the device.

“With the firing mechanism out, there is nothing to worry about,” the cat replied.

“Come on lets go,” Yoland said leading him away.

“Hey you two,” a voice called.

Turning, they saw Terry approaching.

“How is George?” Jerrix asked.

“He is pretty calm now. That’s why I’m here. He wants to make up for his behaviour.”

“Oh yes how?” Yoland asked suspiciously.

“Over in that direction is a lightly damaged hotel. George wants to hold a small party in the morning.”

As he said this, the vision of the shooting flashed through the cat’s mind for the second time. He flushed.

“You alright mate?” Terry asked.

Absentmindedly, Jerrix nodded.

“I can tell George that it’s okay?”

Jerrix glanced towards the darkening sky and whispered, “Tell him we will be there.”

Terry smiled and ran off.

Yoland shrugged her shoulders, “Back to the van then?”

“Yes my dear. Back to the van.”

The cat slept fitfully that night. He was fairly tired when the sun rose again. After breakfast, Terry led them off for the impromptu party.

“You look rather worried,” Yoland whispered.

Rather strangely, the cat remained silent.

After a relatively short walk, Yoland saw sitting among the surrounding rubble a large squat building that looked pretty intact.
As far as she could see, only the windows were broken.

“It still surprises me that it managed to survive,” Terry said, as they got nearer.

“I just hope we do,” the cat muttered.

Terry glanced at him for a second when an armed figure suddenly dashed from inside the building.

“Hold it right there,” George warned.

Yoland decided not to reach for her laser pistol. She could see his finger hovering over the trigger of the shotgun.

“Just put that down mate,” Terry told him.

The weapon swung in his direction.

“I mean it Terry. No one move.”

“Don’t risk yourself on my account,” Jerrix said. “He wants me. Don’t you George.”

George smiled.

“How right you are.”

Jerrix pointed to a spot just a few steps to his left.

“Why not over there.”

“Looks good enough to me,” George replied. “Move then.”

Yoland understood what was going on of course. As the cat padded towards the indicated spot, the barrel followed him.

Without warning, she pulled the laser pistol free and fired. George yelled reeling back and the shotgun discharged. As he hit the ground, Jerrix scrambled up.

“I hope he is not dead,” the cat commented as Yoland ran to the fallen figure.

“I aimed for his arm,” she assured him.

George was moaning loudly, trying to stop the bleeding from his gun arm. The cat picked his weapon up and handed it to Terry.

“I don’t want him harmed,” he told him. “He has lost too much already.”

With that curt statement, he padded off with Yoland in pursuit. As they neared the soft green glow of the ship, the cat suddenly stopped. A dim ghost of a figure stood between them and the hidden craft.

It looked terribly familiar to Jerrix. He recognised the dark hood and the raised scythe. As suddenly as it appeared, the apparition vanished.

“Whatever is wrong?” Yoland asked.

“Never you mind,” the cat snapped. “Now come on.”

Without further comment, a worried Jerrix entered the green light and promptly vanished.

tudoravenger's photo
Thu 08/02/12 03:54 AM
George and Kelly Bright had finished another day of back breaking hoeing. In the darkness of the barracks, they wondered how long they would survive.

When the machines came, they had been staying together in Newcastle. As the onslaught commenced, they had fled, hoping to escape the torrent of death.

Heading towards the Scottish border, they had met one of the star shaped machines who had unleashed his bolts. This advanced matter transmitter had transported them to one of the many orbiting prison ships, where they spent the next few weeks.

Now tonight, they chatted softly. His sister was rather weakly as she always had been. Wearing tattered clothes, as they all were, Kelly was dangerously thin. Even her dark hair had fallen out.

George was no better off. His wide waist had shrunk until he was but a shadow of his former self. His dark hair was now a bright white and his sunken cheeks reminded him of a grinning skull.

“We will never get out of here,” Kelly whispered. “These damn machines will kill us all in the end.”

“Don’t say that Kelly. At least we are alive.”

“How long for?” she asked weakly. “We won’t last a year.”

He tried to cheer his sister up.

“Remember that Paris trip where you lost that shoe of yours?”

Kelly smiled.

“That damn dog took it.”

George laughed.

A sudden explosion shook the wooden barracks and everyone glanced at the open space where windows should have been.

“What was that?” Kelly asked.

“No idea,” George replied as gunfire erupted.

“Someone’s attacking,” Kelly said sitting up.

“George ran to the wall and glanced out. Two machines were firing at something he could not see. He called her over as other inmates ran over.

“This could be our chance Kelly,” George said grabbing her soft hand.

He pulled her toward the door and opened it. He saw and heard explosions and gunfire coming from the outer stockade. He glanced at her.

“Come on Kelly. It is now or never.”

He dragged her out as the battle continued around them. George saw the breach in the outer stockade and ran for it. Kelly, in her weakness, tripped and went down. As they rolled, a pink ray slashed down reducing his sister to dust.

George scrambled up and looking at the machine in alarm, saw a fighter standing beneath it. He saw a small explosion that took the machine’s attention toward the dashing attacker and ran for the escape route.

When he reached it, he saw a tall cat, dressed in a dark blue cloak.

“My sister’s dead,” he muttered.

“Get yourself out of here now,” the cat replied, pushing him away.

George had run north, away from Bamburgh Castle. As he did so, rays slashed down eliminating many of the fleeing prisoners. He dived down as a machine drifted overhead. Once it was gone, he dashed into the night.

He never forgot that awful night. He never forgot his sister either.
As time passed, a terrible feeling of revenge built up within his tortured mind. One face haunted his nightmares.

The cloaked cat.
---
“We appear to be in orbit my dear,” the cat said as the globe showed a beautiful picture of planet Earth.

“You have a scanner now.”

“Unfortunately yes. It seems the ship put one in. No idea why.”

Yoland gazed at the blue globe and frowned.

“What happened to the cloud cover?”

Jerrix smiled.

“It’s approximately three years since our last visit my dear. Should be a bit warmer by now.”

Yoland smiled.

“Are we just going to hover or are we really going to land?”

Jerrix tapped a few buttons on the east panel of the pyramid and the ship juddered again.

“Until the engines are fully run in we will have to be careful,” he pointed out.

“Are we down?” Yoland asked.

Jerrix pointed to the globe.

Looking at it, Yoland saw a terrible scene of rubble.

“Where are we?”

“It seems to be the ruins of Newcastle. Not far north of Holy Island my dear. Shall we take a peek?”

Yoland nodded as the cat stepped outside.

She gazed around at the deeply depressing scene. Where buildings and roads once stood, heaps of rubble was piled up. Bulldozers were attempting to clear this as burly workers in blue hats looked on.
Here and there, grim faced survivors scuttled about.

“Rather sad sight this,” Jerrix commented. “A lovely city reduced to this.”

“Did you come here for any particular reason?” Yoland asked.

“Just curiosity,” the cat replied. “See how people were adapting.”

They walked away from the relative safety of the ship and down the rubble-strewn path. As they did so, Jerrix suddenly stopped.

“Something the matter?” Yoland asked.

The cat was staring ahead into empty space. He watched fascinated as a similar cat stepped from a lightly damaged hotel only to be gunned down. The animal fell heavily to the ground and did not move.

Jerrix felt his face drain of colour.

“I have just seen myself being assassinated.”

“I strongly suggest we leave at once then,” Yoland suggested. “We can’t risk that.”

The cat grabbed her.

“Even turning back could lead to disaster my dear. We have to keep going.”

She shrugged her shoulders and followed him through the bewildering sea of carnage until a voice called him.

“Wait a moment, I recognise you.”

They both turned and saw a short bloke with dark beard approaching
from behind a torn hospital. He was dressed in a crazy assortment of scavenged clothes and seemed to be smiling.

“You are Jerrix are you not?”

The cat nodded slowly.

“I was one of the prisoners you rescued from that camp.”

“Nice to see you again eh...”

“Terry. You told me to head for the island.”

“I’m glad you made it,” the cat replied. Then his voice dropped. “Many people did not.”

“Oh the famous last stand. It’s become something of a legend.”

“A legend?” Yoland asked.

Terry smiled.

“A small group of fighters determined to defeat the enemy.”

“They certainly did that,” the cat said carefully.

“I can offer you both a drink if you like,” Terry said. “My shift has just ended.

“Lead on,” Jerrix replied.

“My place is not much I’m afraid. Just a broken down caravan.”

“I love caravans,” the cat told him.

Terry led them through the rubble until they spotted a small battered white van coming into view.

“It looks lovely,” Yoland commented.

“Glad you like it,” Terry said. “For me it’s home.”

He opened the door and they entered a rather small kitchen area. The tiny living area stood to the far left.

“Grab a seat and I’ll get a bottle out.”

Yoland followed the cat until he sat on the fitted sofa that sat behind a small wooden table.

“Only whisky I’m afraid,” Terry commented.

“Fine by me,” Yoland replied as Jerrix shook his furry head.

“I’ll just have water ta.”

Terry poured out two glasses and carried them over before pouring his own.

As he rejoined them he said, “Bottoms up.”

Yoland sank hers as Terry did likewise. Jerrix sipped at the water slowly.

“How did you cope with the snow?” the cat asked.

“Pretty well actually. Many of the old and young perished but I hear it was worse elsewhere.”

The cat nodded.

“How long will you be around?” Terry asked.

“This is just a fleeting visit,” Jerrix replied.

“Keep travelling eh?”

“Something like that,” the cat replied.

“If you like you can stay here for a bit,” Terry suggested.

“Why don’t we do that,” Yoland suggested.

“Of course we will my dear. Time for a rest eh.

tudoravenger's photo
Wed 08/01/12 07:31 AM
Padding forward, the cat saw a young woman with dark hair approaching him. Her green top looked rather garish and her jeans looked newly washed.

“I’m Jerrix and my companion is Yoland.”

“I’m Holly and this is Hair.”

They shook as the warden said, “I’ll leave you together then.”

As he left, Jerrix glanced at her colleague.

She was on the short side with brown hair and tight jeans. Her white top was rather glaring to his sensitive eyes.

“What have you found so far?” Yoland asked.

“At the moment,” Holly said. “All the mutilations seem to be taking place in the north quadrant.”

“Nowhere else?” the cat asked.

“Not as far as we can see,” Hair replied.

“Do you have patrols out?” Yoland asked.

“Only the usual,” Holly replied.

“Why not more?” Jerrix asked.

“You must understand sir, we are talking about cats here,” Hair said.

“I don’t care if dogs are being butchered. Murder is murder in my book. Whether the victim is humanoid or animal.”

“What would you suggest then?” Holly asked.

“Flood the area with officers for a start. Show the public they are safe.”

Holly saw the obvious result of his plan.

“If we did that sir, crime would surge elsewhere. None of us would sanction that.”

“Then try this,” Yoland suggested. “Just the four of us do the patrol. Keep officer numbers down. Maybe we can flush this monster out.”

The two investigators stared at her.

“She is a security officer,” the cat explained. “I would follow her advice.”

“I suppose it could work,” Hair commented.

“Do you have arms?” Yoland asked.

“In our lockers,” Holly replied.

“Then get them and join us outside,” Yoland ordered. “It’s time to go hunting.”

While they waited outside in the deep gloom of smog, the cat looked at her.

“Well done Yoland. Great suggestion.”

“I believe that it’s the only one which will work.”

As she replied, the two investigators joined them. Yoland spotted the two handgun holsters.

“I hope you know how to use them,” she warned.

“It’s all part of the training,” Holly answered.

“Then let’s go north then,” Jerrix suggested.

They followed the women into the gloom, the stench of which was almost overpowering.

“How can you live like this?” Yoland enquired.

“We were born to it,” Hair replied.

“How much further?” the cat asked.

“Not that far sir. Only this bridge to cross.”

The bridge in question crossed another street and was held up by thick suspension cables. It was deserted of course, and after crossing it, they found themselves in a rundown area.

“What a dump,” Yoland commented.

“Lack of investment,” Holly explained briefly.

From the bridge, they turned left into a series of alleyways. Rubbish was piled up along the dirty walls and at the far end, the cat came across another feline victim.

“Damn it,” he said kneeling down and placing his paw upon it.

“It’s still warm,” he commented standing up again.

“Which means that the killer is still here,” Yoland said drawing her weapon.

The two investigators drew their weapons as they slowly prowled forward.

“It would be far easier if we could see properly,” Jerrix complained.

They emerged from the alley and into a rather rowdy street. Drunks and ladies of the night sauntered around in the gloom.

“No point asking for witnesses,” Hair commented.

They glanced around wondering where the fugitive had gone to, when a scream pierced the air.

“It’s this way,” Jerrix shouted bounding off.

Yoland followed him towards a warehouse where they found an hysterical woman pointing to the wooden wall. Everyone looked of course, and were horrified to see a decapitated feline, nailed to the wall.

“Calm her down,” Jerrix said bounding into the large building.

Despite the obvious darkness, he noted the many stacked boxes and also the lack of escape routes.

Yoland followed and glanced around.

“What do you think?” she asked.

“We have him trapped.”

Yoland pointed across to the far wall, and dashed across. Jerrix moved forward gingerly, listening intently.

Moments later, a pile of boxes toppled and Yoland dived to one side. Heavy footsteps drifted through the air, followed by a cackle of laughter.

“Give up,” Jerrix demanded as his associates entered.

“We could have him now,” the cat advised.

The two women moved forward carefully as Yoland swung around another stack of boxes. As she did so, it collapsed near her.

“You alright Yoland?” Jerrix asked.

When there was no reply, the cat dashed forward and found her unconscious upon the floor.

Kneeling down beside her, he checked for damage. Her head was level with the wall and it soon became obvious she had hit this pretty hard.

As he woke her gently, another crash sounded from the far end followed by gunfire.

“Have you got him?” Jerrix asked.

“He dashed out the damn door,” Hair replied. “Holly nearly got crushed.”

“We will get him next time,” the cat answered as Yoland came around.

“How is your head my dear?”

“Rather sore.”

He helped her up and slowly left the building. It was obvious now that their quarry would resort to violence to avoid capture.
---
Back at the headquarters, the two women were quietly seething.

“I reported what we found sir. That poor animal will be removed shortly.”

Jerrix shot back.

“How did he get past you two?”

“After the boxes came down he dashed past. As I said he nearly killed Holly.”

Yoland, who still felt groggy, rubbed her head.

“I don’t think any of us done well tonight.”

“We certainly didn’t,” Hair commented.

“I have yet another suggestion,” Yoland said slowly.

“We are willing to hear it,” Holly said.

“Do you have a list of establishments in the north quadrant?”

“I can soon get one,” Holly replied. “How will that help though?”

Yoland smiled.

“I noticed the clean cut upon that severed body we found. That’s a laser scalpel.”

“Well it could be a professional,” Jerrix muttered.

Hair dashed out to collect the document whilst the others waited on tender hooks. She returned moments later with a full printout.

“Here we are,” she said spreading it across the table.

They all scanned the list of establishments and Holley asked, “So what are we looking for?”

Yoland found herself drawn to a single name.

Wood’s Veterinary Practice.

“That’s the one,” she said pointing.

“Could well be,” Jerrix commented.

“Surely that is far too obvious,” Hair said.

“Perhaps not,” Jerrix suggested. “Everyone assumes that vets love animals.”

“We should check this out now,” Holly suggested.

Jerrix agreed. Despite the earlier incident.

While decisions were being made at police headquarters, a dark, cackling figure was pacing his so-called apartment with evil thoughts racing through his mind.

“I soon showed those goons what I’m really made of. I hope they leave me to my honourable work.”

He entered his surgery and looked around quickly. Within a cabinet, he found two canisters of gas and smiled.

“If they track me to here, this will surprise them.”

He hauled the tall canisters out and attached remote control devices to them. He then concealed them within a wall recess and waited patiently. He was supremely self-confidant that when the crunch came, there was enough gas to kill an elephant. As for his escape route, there was always the window.

At this point, Jerrix, Yoland, Hair and Holly had crossed that gloomy bridge and were slowly making their way towards the suspect’s address.

“He will probably be waiting for us,” the cat suggested.

“That would make sense,” Hair replied. “You should have armed yourself.”

“Only when absolutely necessary,” Jerrix replied.

They entered a rather dingy alley and to the right, saw the entrance to the vets.

“Let us go in first,” Holly advised.

“Be my guest,” the cat replied.

The two women stood to either side of the entrance, handguns drawn.
Yoland stood beside the cat, her own laser pistol fully ready.

On a count of three, the two women burst in to the reception area expecting a hail of bullets but there was no response.

Jerrix and Yoland came in behind.

“I don’t like the looks of this,” Yoland whispered.

“Perhaps he has fled,” Hair suggested.

Holly heard a noise like hissing coming from the examination room and crept toward it. Without warning, she kicked the door open and burst in.

Hair saw a darkly figure standing near the rear window holding a fully charged laser scalpel. The air was contaminated with gas and she yelled a warning.

As she did this, the scalpel activated sending a tight beam toward the hidden recess. As it struck, the figure leaped through the window as the room exploded in a sheet of fire.

Hair and Holly stood no chance. The blast however, kicked Yoland and
Jerrix into the alleyway as the building disintegrated.

The cat scrambled up, pulling her up beside him.

“We have to get after him. There is nothing we can do about them.”

They raced off towards the rear of the former building and found a side street, which headed towards a rather largish building. When they reached it, they saw a cinema entrance and glancing at each other, crept inside.

Within the cream painted foyer, they saw a pay booth standing to the right and to the left of this, a single lift entrance waited.

“Where would you hide?” Jerrix asked.

“In the lift shaft. It’s dark and easily defensible.”

“I want you to stay here and guard the door my dear. I’ll go after him.”

Yoland offered him her weapon.

“You’ll need this.”

“I can handle this. Don’t let him pass.”

“Take care now,” Yoland whispered.

He thanked her and padded towards the lift entrance. As it slid open, he stepped inside.

Looking upwards, he spotted the escape hatch and gulped.

“If I must, I must.”

He stretched and pushed the hatch off softly. Then he stared into the ascending darkness.

“If I were you, I would seriously consider surrendering,” he shouted.

He waited for the response, and when it came, it was not the one he expected.

“On this planet, killing animals carries the death penalty. I’ll take my chances.”

“So be it,” the cat muttered climbing onto the roof of the lift.

He saw the thick cable stretching upwards and behind him a darkly painted ladder. He climbed on and began the ascent, wondering when the fight would break out.

Thanks to his padded feet, the ascent was silent. He peered ahead, hoping to spot the criminal before he spotted him.

“What’s your concern?” the voice asked.

“You murdered brothers of mine,” Jerrix replied. “That I will not ignore.”

“Do you know why?” the voice asked.

“No reason can justify your actions Dr Wood.”

“A damn cat bit me,” the voice explained.

The cat used that reply to zero in on his target. His superior eyes spotted him easily. The doctor was standing upon a ledge, still dressed in the cloak and holding his lethal laser scalpel.

Jerrix stopped.

“Give it up doctor. For both our sakes.”

“Never!”

The cat sprung rapidly, landing squarely in front of the startled doctor. His right paw swung, smashing the scalpel from his hand. The doctor recovered quickly and threw himself forward. As his fingers attempted to gouge out the cat’s eyes, Jerrix lost his balance and locked together, they plunged into space.

As they fell, the cat twisted violently so that it was the doctor who hit the lift roof first. The bodies smashed through, hitting the lift floor with a sickening crunch.

Yoland heard that and ran towards the door, which swished open. She saw Jerrix covered in debris, lying upon the smashed body of the late killer.

The cat glanced up and climbed off.

“It’s over my dear. He will never threaten cats again.”

He padded past and she followed him into the gloom, replacing her weapon inside its holster.

“As they meandered through the smog covered streets, Yoland asked, “now that it’s over Jerrix, I suppose we are rather stuck here.”

The cat did not reply but strolled on. As they approached that awful bridge, Yoland saw a faint green glow ahead.

“It can’t be,” she muttered. “No ship could survive that damage.”

Jerrix glanced at her.

“My ship can repair itself my dear. However, it is not indestructible. There are things even it cannot survive.”

She watched him enter the light and promptly vanish. As she entered,
Yoland stopped.

“It’s all changed.”

Jerrix nodded, scratching his ear.

“So it seems my dear.”

He padded over to the rear wall and sighed.

“At least my drawers are still there. Something’s never change I suppose.”

Yoland stamped her feet upon the blue floor. It was still squashy. She saw Jerrix pad over to the five-foot high pyramid, noting the globe on top. As he reached the north side, she stood behind him.

The cat was staring at a myriad of buttons that reminded him of an accordion.

“If I was designing this, the main one would be at the centre,” he muttered.

He pressed it and saw an image of the galaxy appearing within the globe. Two small dots flashed.

“Quite snazzy,” Yoland commented as he padded over to the east side.

“Seems easy enough,” he said grinning as he pressed the central button.

The craft shuddered slightly and the cat scowled.

“What’s up?” Yolanda asked.

“It seems I have to run the engines in my dear. This I think is going to be rather interesting.”

tudoravenger's photo
Tue 07/31/12 04:59 PM
Padding forward, the cat saw a young woman with dark hair approaching him. Her green top looked rather garish and her jeans looked newly washed.

“I’m Jerrix and my companion is Yoland.”

“I’m Holly and this is Hair.”

They shook as the warden said, “I’ll leave you together then.”

As he left, Jerrix glanced at her colleague.

She was on the short side with brown hair and tight jeans. Her white top was rather glaring to his sensitive eyes.

“What have you found so far?” Yoland asked.

“At the moment,” Holly said. “All the mutilations seem to be taking place in the north quadrant.”

“Nowhere else?” the cat asked.

“Not as far as we can see,” Hair replied.

“Do you have patrols out?” Yoland asked.

“Only the usual,” Holly replied.

“Why not more?” Jerrix asked.

“You must understand sir, we are talking about cats here,” Hair said.

“I don’t care if dogs are being butchered. Murder is murder in my book. Whether the victim is humanoid or animal.”

“What would you suggest then?” Holly asked.

“Flood the area with officers for a start. Show the public they are safe.”

Holly saw the obvious result of his plan.

“If we did that sir, crime would surge elsewhere. None of us would sanction that.”

“Then try this,” Yoland suggested. “Just the four of us do the patrol. Keep officer numbers down. Maybe we can flush this monster out.”

The two investigators stared at her.

“She is a security officer,” the cat explained. “I would follow her advice.”

“I suppose it could work,” Hair commented.

“Do you have arms?” Yoland asked.

“In our lockers,” Holly replied.

“Then get them and join us outside,” Yoland ordered. “It’s time to go hunting.”

While they waited outside in the deep gloom of smog, the cat looked at her.

“Well done Yoland. Great suggestion.”

“I believe that it’s the only one which will work.”

As she replied, the two investigators joined them. Yoland spotted the two handgun holsters.

“I hope you know how to use them,” she warned.

“It’s all part of the training,” Holly answered.

“Then let’s go north then,” Jerrix suggested.

They followed the women into the gloom, the stench of which was almost overpowering.

“How can you live like this?” Yoland enquired.

“We were born to it,” Hair replied.

“How much further?” the cat asked.

“Not that far sir. Only this bridge to cross.”

The bridge in question crossed another street and was held up by thick suspension cables. It was deserted of course, and after crossing it, they found themselves in a rundown area.

“What a dump,” Yoland commented.

“Lack of investment,” Holly explained briefly.

From the bridge, they turned left into a series of alleyways. Rubbish was piled up along the dirty walls and at the far end, the cat came across another feline victim.

“Damn it,” he said kneeling down and placing his paw upon it.

“It’s still warm,” he commented standing up again.

“Which means that the killer is still here,” Yoland said drawing her weapon.

The two investigators drew their weapons as they slowly prowled forward.

“It would be far easier if we could see properly,” Jerrix complained.

They emerged from the alley and into a rather rowdy street. Drunks and ladies of the night sauntered around in the gloom.

“No point asking for witnesses,” Hair commented.

They glanced around wondering where the fugitive had gone to, when a scream pierced the air.

“It’s this way,” Jerrix shouted bounding off.

Yoland followed him towards a warehouse where they found an hysterical woman pointing to the wooden wall. Everyone looked of course, and were horrified to see a decapitated feline, nailed to the wall.

“Calm her down,” Jerrix said bounding into the large building.

Despite the obvious darkness, he noted the many stacked boxes and also the lack of escape routes.

Yoland followed and glanced around.

“What do you think?” she asked.

“We have him trapped.”

Yoland pointed across to the far wall, and dashed across. Jerrix moved forward gingerly, listening intently.
Moments later, a pile of boxes toppled and Yoland dived to one side. Heavy footsteps drifted through the air, followed by a cackle of laughter.

“Give up,” Jerrix demanded as his associates entered.

“We could have him now,” the cat advised.

The two women moved forward carefully as Yoland swung around another stack of boxes. As she did so, it collapsed near her.

“You alright Yoland?” Jerrix asked.

When there was no reply, the cat dashed forward and found her unconscious upon the floor.

Kneeling down beside her, he checked for damage. Her head was level with the wall and it soon became obvious she had hit this pretty hard.

As he woke her gently, another crash sounded from the far end followed by gunfire.

“Have you got him?” Jerrix asked.

“He dashed out the damn door,” Hair replied. “Holly nearly got crushed.”

“We will get him next time,” the cat answered as Yoland came around.

“How is your head my dear?”

“Rather sore.”

He helped her up and slowly left the building. It was obvious now that their quarry would resort to violence to avoid capture.
---
Back at the headquarters, the two women were quietly seething.

“I reported what we found sir. That poor animal will be removed shortly.”

Jerrix shot back.

“How did he get past you two?”

“After the boxes came down he dashed past. As I said he nearly killed Holly.”

Yoland, who still felt groggy, rubbed her head.

“I don’t think any of us done well tonight.”

“We certainly didn’t,” Hair commented.

“I have yet another suggestion,” Yoland said slowly.

“We are willing to hear it,” Holly said.

“Do you have a list of establishments in the north quadrant?”

“I can soon get one,” Holly replied. “How will that help though?”

Yoland smiled.

“I noticed the clean cut upon that severed body we found. That’s a laser scalpel.”

“Well it could be a professional,” Jerrix muttered.

Hair dashed out to collect the document whilst the others waited on tender hooks. She returned moments later with a full printout.

“Here we are,” she said spreading it across the table.

They all scanned the list of establishments and Holley asked, “So what are we looking for?”

Yoland found herself drawn to a single name.

Wood’s Veterinary Practice.

“That’s the one,” she said pointing.

“Could well be,” Jerrix commented.

“Surely that is far too obvious,” Hair said.

“Perhaps not,” Jerrix suggested. “Everyone assumes that vets love animals.”

“We should check this out now,” Holly suggested.

Jerrix agreed. Despite the earlier incident.

While decisions were being made at police headquarters, a dark, cackling figure was pacing his so-called apartment with evil thoughts racing through his mind.

“I soon showed those goons what I’m really made of. I hope they leave me to my honourable work.”

He entered his surgery and looked around quickly. Within a cabinet, he found two canisters of gas and smiled.

“If they track me to here, this will surprise them.”

He hauled the tall canisters out and attached remote control devices to them. He then concealed them within a wall recess and waited patiently. He was supremely self-confidant that when the crunch came, there was enough gas to kill an elephant. As for his escape route, there was always the window.

At this point, Jerrix, Yoland, Hair and Holly had crossed that gloomy bridge and were slowly making their way towards the suspect’s address.

“He will probably be waiting for us,” the cat suggested.

“That would make sense,” Hair replied. “You should have armed yourself.”

“Only when absolutely necessary,” Jerrix replied.

They entered a rather dingy alley and to the right, saw the entrance to the vets.

“Let us go in first,” Holly advised.

“Be my guest,” the cat replied.

The two women stood to either side of the entrance, handguns drawn. Yoland stood beside the cat, her own laser pistol fully ready.

On a count of three, the two women burst in to the reception area expecting a hail of bullets but there was no response.

Jerrix and Yoland came in behind.

“I don’t like the looks of this,” Yoland whispered.

“Perhaps he has fled,” Hair suggested.

Holly heard a noise like hissing coming from the examination room and crept toward it. Without warning, she kicked the door open and burst in.

Hair saw a darkly figure standing near the rear window holding a fully charged laser scalpel. The air was contaminated with gas and she yelled a warning.

As she did this, the scalpel activated sending a tight beam toward the hidden recess. As it struck, the figure leaped through the window as the room exploded in a sheet of fire.
Hair and Holly stood no chance. The blast however, kicked Yoland and
Jerrix into the alleyway as the building disintegrated.

The cat scrambled up, pulling her up beside him.

“We have to get after him. There is nothing we can do about them.”

They raced off towards the rear of the former building and found a side street, which headed towards a rather largish building. When they reached it, they saw a cinema entrance and glancing at each other, crept inside.

Within the cream painted foyer, they saw a pay booth standing to the right and to the left of this, a single lift entrance waited.

“Where would you hide?” Jerrix asked.

“In the lift shaft. It’s dark and easily defensible.”

“I want you to stay here and guard the door my dear. I’ll go after him.”

Yoland offered him her weapon.

“You’ll need this.”

“I can handle this. Don’t let him pass.”

“Take care now,” Yoland whispered.

He thanked her and padded towards the lift entrance. As it slid open, he stepped inside.

Looking upwards, he spotted the escape hatch and gulped.

“If I must, I must.”

He stretched and pushed the hatch off softly. Then he stared into the ascending darkness.

“If I were you, I would seriously consider surrendering,” he shouted.

He waited for the response, and when it came, it was not the one he expected.

“On this planet, killing animals carries the death penalty. I’ll take my chances.”

“So be it,” the cat muttered climbing onto the roof of the lift.

He saw the thick cable stretching upwards and behind him a darkly painted ladder. He climbed on and began the ascent, wondering when the fight would break out.

Thanks to his padded feet, the ascent was silent. He peered ahead, hoping to spot the criminal before he spotted him.

“What’s your concern?” the voice asked.

“You murdered brothers of mine,” Jerrix replied. “That I will not ignore.”

“Do you know why?” the voice asked.

“No reason can justify your actions Dr Wood.”

“A damn cat bit me,” the voice explained.

The cat used that reply to zero in on his target. His superior eyes spotted him easily. The doctor was standing upon a ledge, still dressed in the cloak and holding his lethal laser scalpel.

Jerrix stopped.

“Give it up doctor. For both our sakes.”

“Never!”

The cat sprung rapidly, landing squarely in front of the startled doctor. His right paw swung, smashing the scalpel from his hand. The doctor recovered quickly and threw himself forward. As his fingers attempted to gouge out the cat’s eyes, Jerrix lost his balance and locked together, they plunged into space.

As they fell, the cat twisted violently so that it was the doctor who hit the lift roof first. The bodies smashed through, hitting the lift floor with a sickening crunch.

Yoland heard that and ran towards the door, which swished open. She saw Jerrix covered in debris, lying upon the smashed body of the late killer.

The cat glanced up and climbed off.

“It’s over my dear. He will never threaten cats again.”

He padded past and she followed him into the gloom, replacing her weapon inside its holster.

“As they meandered through the smog covered streets, Yoland asked, “now that it’s over Jerrix, I suppose we are rather stuck here.”

The cat did not reply but strolled on. As they approached that awful bridge, Yoland saw a faint green glow ahead.

“It can’t be,” she muttered. “No ship could survive that damage.”

Jerrix glanced at her.

“My ship can repair itself my dear. However, it is not indestructible. There are things even it cannot survive.”

She watched him enter the light and promptly vanish. As she entered,
Yoland stopped.

“It’s all changed.”

Jerrix nodded, scratching his ear.

“So it seems my dear.”

He padded over to the rear wall and sighed.

“At least my drawers are still there. Something’s never change I suppose.”

Yoland stamped her feet upon the blue floor. It was still squashy.

She saw Jerrix pad over to the five-foot high pyramid, noting the globe on top. As he reached the north side, she stood behind him.

The cat was staring at a myriad of buttons that reminded him of an accordion.

“If I was designing this, the main one would be at the centre,” he muttered.

He pressed it and saw an image of the galaxy appearing within the globe. Two small dots flashed.

“Quite snazzy,” Yoland commented as he padded over to the east side.

“Seems easy enough,” he said grinning as he pressed the central button.

The craft shuddered slightly and the cat scowled.

“What’s up?” Yolanda asked.

“It seems I have to run the engines in my dear. This I think is going to be rather interesting.”

tudoravenger's photo
Tue 07/31/12 08:48 AM
Dr Wood was washing his thick fingers when the receptionist entered, smiling.

“Just one last patient Doctor Wood.”

He sighed deeply and nodded slowly. He had been senior vet now for twenty years and it was starting to get to him. Long hours for little pay, that was the upsetting bit. He hated his short stature with the bulging beer gut. Despite his middle age, his hair had gone completely.

He had always wanted a smarter office, but high rents had forced him into this grubby side street.

He dried his hands upon his dirty white coat and turning, saw an elegantly dressed lady enter with a cat box.

She approached the examination table and whispered, “Molly keeps scratching.”

“If you put her on my table mam, I will have a look.”

When the woman did so, he took a small comb and gently ran the blades across the thick ginger fur. As he did this, small black dots fell onto the table.

The proud lady looked horrified.

“They can’t be fleas.”

The doctor grimaced.

“I am afraid they are mam. Not to worry though. I have something to kill the little blighters.”

Dr Wood turned and removed a small tablet from a drawer.

“Here we are mam.”

He approached the rather nervous cat and forced its jaws open. Then he popped the tiny pill into its mouth and gently closed it again.
The animal’s response was immediate.

Its hackles raised and it spat the offending morsel back out. Then it hissed and spat before launching itself at the nearby hand.
Before the startled vet could respond, its teeth sank into his palm and broke the soft skin.

As it pulled back, the vet’s face turned scarlet and he shouted, “I’ll have you stuffed for that!”

With blood flowing freely, the injured man rushed to the waiting sink as the woman protested.

“She does not like tablets Dr Wood. No wonder she bit you.”

The vet half turned and spat, “perhaps I should stuff you too.”

Rather horrified by this snarling comment, the woman placed Molly back inside her box and rushed out of the examination room.
When the blood flow stopped, he rushed to the door and barked, “no more today Miss Tart.”

He slammed the door, cursing as he heard the receptionist leave at last.

“Why do I put up with them?” he muttered to himself. “Damn animals.”

He stalked out of the examination room and entered the small receptionist area. Thankfully, his private apartment was joined to his practice and he entered it quickly.

They called it an apartment but it was really a glorified bedsit. Tiny kitchen, living area and shoebox bedroom was all the privacy he had. He sat upon the single chair and quietly boiled.

As the sun sank that night, the awkward smog descended as factories continued to belch out their filthy waste. He suddenly had an idea.
Opening a tiny wardrobe, he spotted the top hat and black cape he had worn at a recent fancy dress party.

Grinning to himself, he removed the long white coat and threw the cape on. Then he donned the top hat and stared at his black trousers.

“Perfect disguise. Now comes my revenge.”

He glanced down at his vet’s bag and removed the laser scalpel. Then his grin became totally evil. Swirling the cape, he marched out into the night, searching for a feline victim.

Along a rather grubby alley, he stopped and knelt. Then he called out softly, “Here kitty, kitty.”

Moments later, a small ginger cat padded out and came trotting towards him in a friendly manner.

The maddened vet produced his scalpel and switching on, sliced the animal in two.

As he dashed towards his home, the thoughts of further vengeance filled his warped mind.

One month later, Jerrix and Yoland arrived.
---
The field of golden corn swayed gently in the breeze as the capsule hatch slid open. A tall woman wearing a green security guard uniform, with flowing red hair slowly emerged. Standing erect, she checked her laser pistol holster and waited for Jerrix to step out.

“It looks safe enough Jerrix. Nice and peaceful for a change.”

She watched the five-foot high cat stepping into the open, noting his swaying dark blue cloak.

Jerrix checked his gold throat clasp and smoothed down his thick black fur. His bright yellow eyes settled upon the scorched exterior of the escape capsule. Dark smoke was still rising as the ejected white chutes lay in the near distance.

“At least that white bib of yours never got toasted,” Yoland said jokingly.

He stroked the bib beneath his throat and scowled back.

“I am certainly happy that we survived the experience.”

“So who attacked us?” Yoland asked.

“That is something I would like to know,” Jerrix replied gazing across the corn.

“So where are we this time?” Yoland asked.

Jerrix sniffed the air and smiled.

“It looks like Belcite Three to me my dear. Can’t you smell the acrid odour?”

Actually, she had.

“Must be from a factory,” she commented.

“As a matter of fact my dear, it’s from the nearby city.”

She looked surprised by this piece of news.

“It’s not like your generation star ship my dear,” the cat explained. “This community relies on old fashioned manufacturing processes.”

“I think that I understand,” Yoland replied.

“Good. Now shall we go?” Jerrix suggested.

She followed him through the cornfield and down a short hill, towards what she viewed as a scene from the bowels of hell. The city itself was well hidden beneath a cloud of black smog. Tall smoke stacks spewed this out, twenty-four seven.

“We can’t go there,” she complained. “Think of the lung damage.”

The cat shook its furry head.

“Believe it or not my dear. None of that is toxic. Just very difficult to see through.”

“I’ll eh, take your word for it.”

They followed the main track and found themselves quickly enveloped. Yoland noticed the sudden reduction of visibility.

“This will take some getting used to.”

The cat smiled.

“Those who live here are quite used to it.”

The track had given way to a wide thoroughfare. To the left, Yoland perceived a huge dirty factory through the smog and beyond that, the rowdy sounds of a rather lively bar.

“The bars are not for your eyes my dear,” the cat advised. “Far too bawdy.”

They strolled along the street, noting the filthy walls that stood right next to a smallish restaurant.

“The more I see this city, the less I like it,” Yoland muttered.

“Yes,” the cat replied. “It is a bit depressing.”

They had reached a junction, noting the lack of traffic, when they both heard a terrible squeal from the left side street. Jerrix reacted at once.

“Come on my dear. Let us see what’s up.”

He dashed forward with Yoland in pursuit until she saw him stop suddenly.

“What have you found now?” she asked.

The cat knelt and felt tears rise.

“Somebody butchered a brother of mine.”

Yoland looked down and saw a small cat with its belly cut open. She stepped back.

“I think I’m going to be sick.”

The cat glanced up.

“Anywhere but here my dear.”

As she was engaged in the unpleasant act, Jerrix stroked the warm dead animal.

“Damn butchers.”

Another voice drifted toward him.

“What do we have here?”

The cat glanced up and saw a black uniformed officer walking up to them.

“What does it look like?” the cat hissed.

As Yoland returned, the officer gazed down at the obvious crime.

“Seems that I have caught the mutilator. I smell promotion here.”

Now the cat got angry.

“My name sir is Jerrix Tau. Check your register.”

The officer produced a phone like device and typed in the name.
Jerrix saw his eyebrows rise with surprise.

“It says here that you are a criminal investigator?”

“Of course I am sir. What of it?”

He saw the young officer smiling.

“I had better take you to headquarters. The warden will want a word.”

“The who?” Yoland asked.

“Head investigator,” Jerrix chipped in.

The cat stood up as the officer led the way through the gloom towards a well-lit single storey building. Yoland noted the lack of vehicles.

“Does everyone walk?”

Jerrix shook his head.

“They own cycles my dear. With this gloom it is far safer you know.”

They climbed the short steps and entered the main building. At the reception desk, the officer saluted the sergeant and reported.

“I need to take these two to see the warden.”

The sergeant glanced at the two strangers.

“They don’t look important enough.”

“They could help find this maniac,” the officer suggested.

The sergeant rang the desk bell and moments later, a tall, dark uniformed individual walked from a poky rear office.

“What’s up?” the warden asked.

The sergeant pointed.

“Hubbard brought these two in sir.”

The young officer saluted again.

The warden walked around the desk and regarded the strangers with interest.

“What crime did you two commit?” he asked.

“Jerrix Tau at your service sir.”

The warden looked rather nonplussed.

“Is that supposed to sound important?” the warden asked.

The officer chipped in.

“Sorry sir. He's a criminal investigator. Found another cat mutilation.”

Now the warden’s attitude changed completely.

“You taking an interest then?”

Jerrix nodded vigorously.

“What are you doing about it?” the cat demanded.

The question took the warden aback.

“I set up a small taskforce sir. Why not join it?”

“We would be glad to.”

The warden dismissed the young officer and took them up a flight of stairs and into a small department. At the far end, two female officers turned around.

“Holley, Hair. I have some help for you,” the warden said.

tudoravenger's photo
Mon 07/30/12 04:36 AM
Jerrix slowly opened his eyes and blinked.

“Who turned the lights out?” he muttered.

He climbed groggily to his feet and saw nothing but darkness around him. He stomped his feet muttering,”seems solid enough.”

He suddenly realised that his blue cloak had gone and that wherever he was, this was not his ship.

“Yoland!”

There was no response.

A beam of bright light suddenly surrounded him and he scratched his head.

“She is not here Jerrix Tau.”

The voice was deep and rather menacing. It disturbed him that its source could not be seen.

“Who’s there?” he asked carefully.

A figure seemed to appear from nowhere, and the cat noticed the red glow around him.

“Oh you must be joking.”

“I am as real as you are,” the figure replied.

Jerrix was looking at a tall darkly hooded figure that was carrying a scythe.

“You just cannot be the Grim Reaper,” Jerrix protested. “That is just silly.”

“As silly as a space faring cat?” the figure asked.

Jerrix was stumped for an answer.

The figure raised a bony finger and pointed into the darkness. The cat saw an image appear. An image he remembered. It showed a small brown kitten sleeping peacefully.

“Who is this?” the figure asked.

“Seems to be from a very long time ago.”

“Let us look at what you became shall we?”

As the cat watched, he saw himself as he used to look. Deep brown fur, sea blue eyes and the distinctive yellow cloak.

“Do you agree that this is you?”

Jerrix shook his furry head.

“Of course that is me. Who else would it be?”

The image faded and was replaced with that of a young girl. He saw the straight yellow hair and flowery dress.

“That’s Tarra,” he muttered. “Is she alright?”

“She is safe Jerrix Tau. Far safer than she was with you.”

“What does that mean?” the cat asked.

“You took her from her home and plunged her into a world of terrible danger.”

“I did not kidnap her,” he protested. “She came willingly.”

“Can you remember where you took her to?”

“Of course I can,” he replied. “It was Sagittarius One.”

“A planet where the Fleons were fighting the Dogians,” the figure told him.

“That is correct. I made sure the Fleons were left alone.”

“There was much danger there,” the figure said. “Did you not worry that Tarra could be harmed?”

“Of course I worried. That is why we did not travel together for long.”

“So you took her to Helos 6.”

“As a reward,” Jerrix countered. “I knew nothing about the Siphonans till then.”

“When you saw their lethality you could have left.”

“That would have been cowardice. I had no option but to intervene.”

“Your solution was pretty brutal was it not?”

“It had to be,” the cat replied. “I even lost a life there.”

An image of a ginger cat appeared. It had bright green eyes but still wore that yellow cloak.

“That looks like me,” Jerrix acknowledged.

“Now we shall see what further trouble you got into,” the Grim Reaper told him.
---
“You decided to take the young girl for a space cruise did you not?”

“We both needed a rest.”

“Just in time for a wing to snap off,” the figure reminded him.

“You cannot blame me for that,” Jerrix protested.

“Six people survived,” the figure said. “Six from two-thousand.”

“The captain came down on an H class planet. What do you expect?”

“You and Tarra moved to higher ground in order to escape the plant life.”

“I wanted them to join me but they refused. Their deaths are not on my paws.”

“How about the racketeers?” the figure asked. “Are you denying their deaths too?”

“They had to pay for their crimes. They got their just deserts.”

“Tarra was so horrified that she left you,” the figure said.

“My life is a rather busy one.”

“As a taxi driver found out,” the figure said.

Jerrix was annoyed now.

“Your information is wrong mate. That was simply a projection as you are well aware.”

The figure nodded.

“I will concede your point Jerrix. Shall we turn to other events?”

“Wait a moment,” the cat said. “Is this a trial or what?”

“At present your body is on board your ship,” the figure told him.

“Only I can send you back. Lose this review in my court and you will never leave this dark place.”

“Then we had better get on with it,” the cat suggested.

“You returned to Earth and met Tarra again,” the figure pointed out.

“I landed in a caravan park.”

“Yet again,” the figure said. “When an alien race arrived to destroy a research station.”

“I don’t go looking for it,” Jerrix replied.

“So you sabotaged the space laser after travelling back through time.”

Jerrix smiled ruefully.

“You must admit that it worked. I also lost another life by the way.”

Jerrix saw a large ginger cat appearing. Still dressed in that yellow cloak. Beside him appeared a schoolboy wearing a bright red uniform.

“You know about Gerry then,” the cat commented.

“Of course,” the figure replied. “You took him to a dying world and ensured the Jawans extinction.”

“I sympathised with their problem but I could not allow any of their spawn to reach earth. That would have resulted in the destruction of mankind.”

He paused.

“I nearly fried. What should I have done? Sit back and watch the fireworks?”

“Genocide does not recognise guilt from the victims. You should know that.”

“What they planned would have been genocide,” the cat spat back.

The dark figure ignored that comment and rolled on.

“What do you remember of Terros?”

“A rather sad trip really. The prince actually used me in order to get to the rebels.”

“The actual cause of that was your previous involvement,” the figure replied.

“I had saved them from starvation,” the cat said sharply. “What the prince did later was wholly reprehensible.”

“Did you even consider the possibility that they may have solved the problem themselves?”

“When I got there, it was obvious they couldn’t.”

“So you say Jerrix, but we will never know now.”

The figure paused as another image appeared. The cat recognised the planet. It was Earth.

“Explain why you were there?” the Grim Reaper asked.

“I wanted Gerry to see the castle on Holy Island. I had no ulterior motive.”

“The Siphonans had taken over. Correct?”

“They certainly had. I fell in with the human resistance.”

“Which you took command of.”

“In the end it was the only way. I feared they would fail.”

The figure moved on.

“You even tried to sacrifice yourself in order to save Moscow.”

“Well, I realised there was no alternative. Luckily for me the prison ship beamed me back to the island.”

“Lucky indeed,” the figure replied.

“You must admit that my solution was pretty unique,” the cat suggested smiling.

“I could not agree more,” the figure replied. “A two year freeze that will cause famine and countless deaths.”

“You are twisting it,” Jerrix hissed. “The Siphonans needed to be stopped. At any cost.”

“Not at that cost Jerrix,” his accuser told him.
---
There was a pause as a star ship appeared. The cat watched for a moment before intervening.

“That mouse had to be stopped. Not even you could argue against that.”

“I have no worries there Jerrix,” the figure said. “My concern is for Yoland.”

“You may have noticed that she can take care of herself.”

“I saw her punching you during your latest escapade.”

“I found that rather painful,” the cat admitted.

“You went home.”

“Should never have bothered. I was forced into a war not of my making.”

“I noticed that,” the figure told him. “I also noticed your suggestion of the flank attack.”

“I suppose you will condemn me for that too.”

“Perhaps in future you should consider a less violent solution.”

“I am who I am. I cannot change that,” the cat told him.

Then Jerrix paused.

“Wait a second. You mentioned the future.”

“You still have one Jerrix. It was your sacrifice on Earth that saved you this time.”

Jerrix smiled.

“You will send me back?”

The Grim Reaper waived his bony hand, and the cat found himself plunged into the darkness once more.

“Come on Jerrix, fight it.”

He opened his eyes and saw Yoland looking down at him.

“No need to shout my dear. Let me up.”

She stepped aside and the cat scrambled to his feet.

“I thought you were finished,” she told him.

“Actually I nearly was,” he said staring down at his black paws.

He shook himself and padded towards the door. On this occasion however, it remained closed.

He rubbed his ears.

“Now that’s strange my dear. A bit too strange. We must be in orbit.”

He returned to the controls and quickly examined them.

“Everything seems to be alright.”

A sudden explosion erupted from the right wall and the ship lurched violently. Yoland and the cat were thrown to the floor.

“What’s happening?” Yoland yelled as fire erupted from the wall.

“We must be under attack,” Jerrix replied.

She saw the cat statues suddenly explode, sending debris across the floor. Flames shot up from the remains and the ship was engulfed in thick dark smoke.

“We will burn for sure,” Yoland told him.

“Not if I can help it. Come on.”

He crawled towards the door and pushed a hidden button down. A panel slid back revealing a dark interior.

“Get yourself inside,” the cat insisted.

Yoland dropped inside and found herself looking at a small capsule.
When Jerrix joined her, he pressed a switch and the panel slid back.

“An escape capsule?” Yoland asked as the ship shook violently.

“First time that I have used it,” he admitted.

He reached up and pulled a hidden lever. As he did this, Yoland felt a rather sickening falling sensation.

“We have separation,” Jerrix said simply.

“This had better have parachutes,” Yoland commented as the capsule tore through the upper atmosphere.

“I just hope they work,” the cat commented.

Yoland placed a palm upon the wall and pulled it back.

“It’s a little warm Jerrix.”

“Nothing we can do now my dear. We either survive or fry.”

Like a meteor streaking to earth, the capsule hurtled down. The outer shell was completely enveloped in white-hot flame as the re-entry continued.

It seemed the buffing would go on forever until they both heard a welcome pop, followed by a sudden deceleration.

“At least the chutes deployed,” Jerrix said smiling.

The craft swung gently in the morning air as the capsule drifted slowly toward the well-kept cornfield. Beyond this lay the city and even more trouble for Jerrix the cat.

tudoravenger's photo
Sat 07/28/12 05:00 AM
Episode 20

The rain was beating down as the dark clouds rolled overhead. The ashen faced reporter glanced up at the sad stone of his long lost love.

“Oh Shirley. How I wish that I was with you now.”

He pulled the coat around his shoulders and scrambled up. It was only then that he noticed the missing hat.

“Oh please not another reality.”

“Thought I’d find you here mate.”

Ben swung around and saw Harris sauntering toward him.

“Are you really here?”

“Of course I am here. A mutual friend of ours needs our help.”

Ben ran forward and embraced the detective.

“Am I really glad to see you.”

He stepped back as the detective turned beetroot.

“Remember professor Xentoph?”

“As if I would forget.”

“He has been rushed to the psychiatric ward after collapsing at home.”

“Sorry for sounding rather callous, but how does that effect us?”

“The docs think that he has been injected with a drug to induce it.”

“Would that be Metox?”

“You know of it?”

“I did a piece last year for my paper. I am assuming of course that it still exists.”

“Last time I checked mate,” Harris replied. “I’m on my way to his home now. Fancy coming along?”

Ben turned back toward the sad stone and whispered, “See you later.”

Taking the arm of the officer, he accompanied him back to the parking lot as the downpour continued.

The professor lived just off Trinity Street, not too far from his crazy hall of followers. Just like many of the homes in this hamlet, the frontage was made from pinewood.

“Looks rather lovely,” Ben commented as the detective inserted the key.

When they entered the lounge, Ben marvelled at the rustic look. Coloured tiles covered the floor as a brown wallpaper gazed on impassively. The furniture was cheaply made and the small table looked cracked on top.

“You better check the bedroom,” Harris suggested as he sniffed around the living area.

“If you wish.”

Ben wandered through the rear door and found the bedroom easily.
After the neatness of the lounge, he was shocked at the dishevelled bedclothes strewn across the floor.

“Something most definitely fishy about this lot.”

He knelt down and began rummaging through the material. Though what he hoped to find is anyone’s guess.

“How are you doing?” Harris called out.

“Not too bad mate. Ah...”

His fingers had found something hard hidden amongst the folds and he freed it quickly with mounting curiosity.

“Would you believe a money box?”

He placed it upon the empty bed as Harris strutted inside.

“Is that all?”

Ben looked peeved by the suggestion.

“It was well hidden mate. That indicates the professor wanted it unfound.”

Harris picked it up and tried to open it.

“The damn thing is sealed. Though I cannot see how.”

“Let me have a go then.”

Harris handed it over and Ben inspected the silver base.

“I think you press this.”

When he did so, the top fell off and the contents landed upon the mattress.

“What do we have here I wonder,” the detective muttered.

Ben pulled off the loose paper and below that lay a dollar bill. He was surprised to see a dog whistle lying to the right.

“He does not own a dog,” the reporter said.

The detective picked it up and began wondering.

“It must be significant. Otherwise why hide it?”

“Can we get into his hut?”

“I have the key to that. You have an idea?”

“Let’s just say the germ of one.”

Due to the short distance, the friends chose to walk. It was not too long before they entered Larkman Road.

“What do you expect to find?” Harris asked as they reached the meeting hall.

“Not too sure mate. Let me have that dog whistle.”

They passed by the small desk and strode inside the small hall of the ‘time society.’ Ben blew the silent whistle as Harris glanced
around. When a small hatch slid open from the rear wall the reporter grinned.

“Typical scientist.”

He placed the whistle inside his pocket and wandered over to the hidden locker. Reaching inside he found a thick leather pouch.

“I don’t think it’s going to be valuable,” he muttered pulling it free.

Harris watched as Ben opened the pouch carefully only to reveal a thick wad of typed sheets.

“Whatever did he hide that for?”

Ben glanced at the detective and began scanning the pages.

“It’s a manuscript. He was obviously working upon it.”

He read quickly, his face become sterner by the moment.

“Whatever is up with you?” Harris asked.

“I don’t know how but this details our time together. You better have a look.”

The detective took the wad and began his own scan.

“He mentions the smallpox threat, the Ebola emergency and some kind of robot in the graveyard.”

He stopped at the reference.

“I don’t remember that.”

Ben looked grim.

“The problem is mate that I do. The ruddy plastic explosive was under the bunks.”

“Now you have lost me.”

“When I arrived at the cemetery I was wearing a hat. Now it is gone.”

“So you lost it,” Harris suggested.

“I truly wish it was that simple. We need to see this professor at once.”

Despite the questions, the reporter kept his secret well as they drove into the hospital car park.

“The psychiatric ward is at the rear,” Harris pointed out.

“I should warn you now that even I don’t know how this lot will finish.”

“I wish that you would make sense.”

“It will become clear shortly. Now just park up.”

The detective found a slot and the friends stepped out and headed for the reception area.

“Detective Harris mam. We are here to see professor Xentoph.”

“I’ll inform security and they can take you sir.”

“We could find our own way,” Ben suggested.

“He is in the secure unit sir,” the woman informed him. “You know, a padded cell.”

The guard appeared and led them onto the second floor where the secure unit was located. As they stared at the door, it was unlocked.

“He is not violent,” the guard said merrily. “l will just wait out here.”

Harris entered first and was shocked at the bound figure.

“He does not need a straightjacket.”

“It is the rules sir.”

Ben took the manuscript and knelt beside the seated old gent. His body slowly rocked back and forth, as he muttered to himself.

“Do you know who we are?” Ben asked gently.

The professor stopped rocking and stared back.

“I seem to recognise you.”

“Who injected the drug professor?” Harris asked.

“Drug? What drug?”

Ben glanced up at his old friend.

“Do you mind? He was never injected.”

“That is news to me Ben. How come he is like that?”

“It’s inside this,” the reporter muttered.

“I don’t understand,” the detective said.

“Give me your pen mate.”

When he received it, Ben turned to the last page. He crossed out the word guard and pointed.

“Look who’s gone.”

Harris turned and noted the missing chap.

“Probably wandered off.”

“You are pretty dim for a detective,” Ben commented handing the pen back.

“I deal with reality. As you used to once.”

Ben ignored this criticism and turned back towards the patient.

“Professor. Tell me why?”

The blank expression cleared and the elderly man mumbled, “To liven up my miserable life.”

Ben nodded and slowly stood.

“Will someone please explain what is really going on here?”

Harris shook his head sadly and led the puzzled detective back into the empty corridor.

“What I have to reveal is rather nasty I’m afraid.”

“At this point I’ll believe anything.”

“Our dear friend is not a professor at all.”

Harris raised his eyebrows.

“I checked him out. He has a whole list of letters after his name.”

Ben smiled and indicated the manuscript.

“It’s all make believe my friend. Want to know what he said to me?”

“Probably not.”

“You exist in my reality. Therefore, you have not entered another.”

Obviously, the detective had still not worked it out.

“He created this reality my friend. You and I. This whole god damn town.”

“I think that you have lost a screw mate.”

“Don’t be absurd Harris! It’s the only possible conclusion. We have only been puppets of a truly tortured mind.”

“You sound as crazy as he is,” Harris protested.

Ben glared at him before saying, “This puppet has no intention of playing any longer. It’s time to get off the bus.”

Harris watched his friend tear the manuscript up and drop the fragments upon the floor.

“It’s over Harris. Over for good.”
Within a padded cell, an elderly madman sat alone within his padded cell. His tortured mind had dreamt of a better life. His tortured mind had dared to create a new reality. That reality had sprung to life for a short space of time.

Sadly however, that time had past...

“Hi...I’m Ben...Please leave a message after the tone.”

Beep...

tudoravenger's photo
Fri 07/27/12 08:54 AM
Episode 19

The reporter wandered toward the window and glanced out. The familiar view had gone. Huge tower blocks stood proudly in the brilliant sunshine, as cars moved along the multi lane freeways.

“This just gets weirder and weirder.”

As he scanned the towers, he noted the huge posters that hung down the sides.

“You must be joking. Kevin as leader?”

Ben closed the curtains and turned at once.

“I have had enough of this crazy world. Time to leave for safer climes.”

He grabbed his coat and slammed the door shut behind him. Noting the lift, he stepped inside and punched the button marked ‘G.’

The lift descended rapidly, depositing him upon the ground floor. He marched out, trying to ignore the many spy cameras.

When he reached the walkway, a darkly clad police officer walked by.

The reporter spotted the holster and shuddered with distaste.

Ben raised an arm and managed to hail one of the many taxis. Climbing aboard he started to sweat.

“Where to sir?”

“Montreal please.”

Ben had expected the driver to simply drive off, but this did not
happen.

“I cannot take you that far.”

Ben was astonished and said so.

“What do you mean?”

“Montreal is forbidden territory sir. Perhaps an arcade would be a better idea.”

“I don’t want a ruddy arcade mate! I need to get back to normality.”

The driver gave him a peculiar look.

“Normality is whatever our leader says it is sir.”

“Just when did he come to power?”

“Around a year ago sir. Now may I suggest another destination?”

Ben lost his temper fully this time and grabbed the driver by his short hair.

“Look mate. Either you take me to Montreal or I’ll drive the damn taxi myself!”

The driver shook himself free and thumped a dashboard button. Almost at once, an alarm klaxon sounded and the doors locked with a loud click.

“Hey, let me out.”

The driver stepped out as an officer came running.

“What’s up?”

The driver pointed toward his unstable passenger.

“He is being abusive and insists on reaching banned territory.”

“Does he indeed? I’ll call in back up.”

Ben struggled to free himself as a panda car drew up.

“Oh damn it.”

The doors suddenly unlocked and the reporter found himself staring into the barrel of a handgun.

“You are coming with us sir.”

Realising the futility of resistance, Ben raised his hands and stepped out. After being roughly cuffed, he was thrown into the rear of the patrol car and taken to the downtown station.

Ben watched the grim scenery passing by, as he sat up and tried to work out his game plan.

“When we get to this station of yours, I need to see a detective Harris.”

The two officers grinned at each other but said not a word. After pulling into the lot, he was manhandled outside and dragged inside the charging area.

Ben recognised the desk sergeant and smiled happily.

“I really don’t know what this is about.”

The officer slapped him hard and hissed, “Just keep your mouth shut.”

“What is he being charged with?” the officer asked.

“Abusive behaviour sir.”

“Put him in cell four then.”

Ben was dragged down the opposite corridor and after being un-cuffed, thrown through the open door. He hit the tiles hard, as the door was slammed shut.

“Talk about police brutality.”

“You should think yourself lucky.”

Ben recognised the familiar voice and scrambled to his feet.

“Harris?”

“You know me then?”

Ben nodded wildly.

“I’m your best mate. What are you doing in here?”

The dishevelled man looked at him vacantly.

“You have me at a disadvantage mate. You see, we have never met.”

“Never mind then. My question remains though.”

Harris stood and began pacing the floor.

“I was a detective until the squad charged me with perjury after the trial fell through. What are you in here for?”

“Abusive behaviour. The driver refused to take me to Montreal.”

“That’s not too surprising mate. Damn stupid thing to do.”

“I seem to agree with you,” Ben said.

“If only I could get to that informer.”

“You were set up?”

Harris glared at him.

“I have never been bent. Those documents were forgeries.”

“Sounds like you were done up like a kipper.”

“A long career flushed down the pan for a creep like that,” the former detective muttered.

Ben sat upon the lower bunk and felt something hard underneath.

“Must be the porta-loo.”

Harris turned as Ben reached underneath.

“Would you believe it? Plastic explosive.”

“How did that get there?” Harris asked.

“No point asking me mate. I have a long quibble with so called reality.”

Ben reached beneath the bunk for a second time and found a small detonator.

“Fancy a jail break?”

Harris nodded and said, “You better be quick. If those guards find this...”

Ben placed the explosives against the upper exterior wall and inserted the detonator. He quickly set it to a ten-second sequence and stepped back.

“If the blast does not kill us, then nothing will my friend.”

When the explosives went up the blast was not as powerful as Ben feared. The exterior wall collapsed and they dashed into the open air.

“Come on,” Harris yelled as they ran into the parking lot.

When they opened the doors, Ben was not too surprised to see a set of keys.

“Head north for the hills,” he suggested. “We can hide there.”

Without argument, Harris started the motor and booted them onto the main road. At high speed, the vehicle manoeuvred through the traffic before reaching the northern freeway without incident.

“We will have to ditch this,” Harris said as they pushed beyond the town limits.

“No worries there. Take the next left.”

Harris spotted the sign and swung the wheel savagely. The car sped onto the side road before slowing down, as they reached the incline.

“I never thought that me and you would be on the run,” the reporter commented.

“We are not free yet. My old mates don’t give up that easily.”

He spotted the lay-by and pulled in before cutting the ignition.

“See those thick pine trees?”

“Perfect cover,” Ben replied as they leapt out.

The new friends ran together into the forest, trying to put maximum distance between themselves and any pursuers. Harris spotted a thick outcrop of rock in the near distance and headed straight for it.

“That is far too open,” Ben warned.

“When I was a boy I did caving. Over that rise lies a warren of tunnels. Now come on and don’t argue.”

The reporter shrugged his shoulders and ran after the retreating figure. He had just reached the outcrop, when the air was filled with a loud whirring noise.

“Copters,” Harris yelled.

“What?”

Ben saw his friend scramble across the open rocks toward the summit of the rise before the rattle of gunfire pinned him down. He ducked back as Harris rolled toward him, his bullet-ridden corpse bleeding profusely.

“Oh damn it mate!”

A sudden silence descended and Ben glared toward the bluish sky. The copter had gone, apparently satisfied with its day’s work.

As Ben turned to scramble toward the safety of the cave, the scene faded. Ben was more than surprised as he found himself falling onto wet, green, grass.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18