JasmineInglewood's photo
Fri 01/08/10 11:00 AM
Edited by JasmineInglewood on Fri 01/08/10 11:00 AM

(Before you jump on me for generalizing let me just say yes, I am. For the sake of discussion I'd like to talk about the two groups collectively rather than individually. I am fully aware that there are exceptions to this notion)

Do you ever notice that when you look at popular youtubers the guys are almost always funnier than the girls, and that girls generally depend on showing boobs and being beautiful for hits?

Do you ever notice that it's easier for beautiful women to be "famous for nothing" while men, even attractive men, almost always have to be skilled in some area such as acting, music, wit etc in order to earn fame?

Do you think Sarah Palin would be considered as qualified to be John McCain's running mate if she were a man?

I guess what I'm getting at is, as a society, do people expect less from women? If so, isn't this to the detriment of the female sex? Are women in the media generally stupider and less talented than the men?

Younger actors really don't have much talent no matter the sex, while they all have varied back grounds in all that you mentioned. SP..well..she's a idiot. And as far as women actors being stupider, why is it the men actors who are always getting arrested for stupid things and divorcing left and right?
It's all media hype, the media decides what we should read, and see. If we choose not to pay attention they change. ie movies. Notice some years are violence, some sex? Now they're trying to pull us in by 'family & fun' movies to get people to show up. If you think this is bad, look back 30-40 years. In -some- ways we are getting better.

I think it's common for every generation as they age to think that the younger generation is less talented and less smart than theirs was.

Also, being arrested has nothing to do with talent/intelligence. Even if that were the case, there are just as many female celebrities getting arrested for things like DUI's.

JasmineInglewood's photo
Fri 01/08/10 10:56 AM

I guess I would have to ask who you are asking this question to --men or women.

I think women hold women to a higher standard. It is not women who make other women famous just because they are beautiful. To be honest a woman could walk around me topless all day and I'm not going to do any more for her than I would if she was in a winter parka. Sarah Palin was brought in to get the woman's vote and we see how well women fell for that one. Men are not famous for just being good looking because although women appreciate the attractive guy we want more.

So if you are looking for the answer it's JMO that men are the ones who will make someone famous or do that extra favor just because a woman is attractive or half dressed.

But men only make up half of the population. Do you think it's men who buy gossip magazines and frequent online gossip sites about paris hilton etc?

If only men are interested in the female pseudo celebrities, why aren't they reported on soley in men's magazines?

JasmineInglewood's photo
Fri 01/08/10 10:44 AM
lol thanks optrigon for trying :tongue:

JasmineInglewood's photo
Fri 01/08/10 10:29 AM

About Sarah Palin, she was not qualified to be VP. She was McCain's big mistake. So, no, a man who was just like her would not have been qualified either.

You ask if women in media are stupider and less talented than men. Do you have examples (other than Palin) that support this? I'm curious to see who you think fits that.

I think i mentioned the "famous for nothing" folks. Who are rarely ever men. Tila Tequila, Paris Hilton, the Kardashian sisters for example.

JasmineInglewood's photo
Fri 01/08/10 10:14 AM
(Before you jump on me for generalizing let me just say yes, I am. For the sake of discussion I'd like to talk about the two groups collectively rather than individually. I am fully aware that there are exceptions to this notion)

Do you ever notice that when you look at popular youtubers the guys are almost always funnier than the girls, and that girls generally depend on showing boobs and being beautiful for hits?

Do you ever notice that it's easier for beautiful women to be "famous for nothing" while men, even attractive men, almost always have to be skilled in some area such as acting, music, wit etc in order to earn fame?

Do you think Sarah Palin would be considered as qualified to be John McCain's running mate if she were a man?

I guess what I'm getting at is, as a society, do people expect less from women? If so, isn't this to the detriment of the female sex? Are women in the media generally stupider and less talented than the men?

JasmineInglewood's photo
Tue 01/05/10 04:43 PM
my last boyfriend

JasmineInglewood's photo
Tue 01/05/10 04:38 PM

leather
fresh coffee beans
jasmine
creme brulle
fresh baking bread
country apple
musk
fresh roses
vanilla
men:tongue:
men wearing AXEdrool
woodstove
citrus
lilacs

man.............theres so many!

awww shucks... blushing

JasmineInglewood's photo
Tue 01/05/10 04:37 PM
car exhaust

JasmineInglewood's photo
Tue 01/05/10 01:45 PM

Funny you ask bigsmile

A couple weeks ago i took up blogging as a hobby. I'm addicted to it. It hones my writing and research skills, it's fun to see the daily traffic rising and interacting with commenters is nice. I got my first troll yesterday! bigsmile

Good luck with it! There will always be trolls, no matter what the subject is :tongue:.

I hope so bigsmile They're funnny

JasmineInglewood's photo
Tue 01/05/10 01:34 PM
Funny you ask bigsmile

A couple weeks ago i took up blogging as a hobby. I'm addicted to it. It hones my writing and research skills, it's fun to see the daily traffic rising and interacting with commenters is nice. I got my first troll yesterday! bigsmile

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 06:40 PM

I think I missed my calling to being a lawyer huh? I'm good at loop holes and snags but I use my powers for good laugh

methinks you did too laugh

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 06:37 PM
Edited by JasmineInglewood on Sat 01/02/10 07:05 PM
I love your display pic :smile:

oh noooo you changed it ohwell

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 06:35 PM

forgot to add Jasmine...I'm not trying to put down your suggestion at all. I know something needs to be done. But nothing is going to be good or guaranteed. Even education. If someone doesn't want to be educated, then no matter how many classes they have to take, it won't do any good.

I respect you for thinking of the children. It is very sad for a lot of children out there.

I just watched my neighbors 4 yr old walk to the other end of the long street to go somewhere and her parents or any other adult was no where to be found. I stepped into the street to make sure she got to where she was going safely. It's all sad. something could have happened to that little girl and her parents would have no clue

but your suggestion is something to think about though. At least it's a suggestion to help the kids

flowerforyou

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 06:27 PM

laugh Jasmine but we see how well the governments do huh? Plus the money comes from the tax payers, which some can't afford to survive themselves now.

I do know there are children that I wish I could take in just to get them away from their parents....so I do understand where you are coming from. My problem is that no one knows how good or bad someone will be as a parent until they are actually parents.

I do understand the concern. I have neighbors across the street that IMO shouldn't be parents. But even some kids from abusive homes have used that to better themselves as adults.

Ok maybe it's not such a sellable idea in the current economic climate laugh . One day it could be a worthwhile investment though. :smile:

flowerforyou

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 06:10 PM
Edited by JasmineInglewood on Sat 01/02/10 06:13 PM

no-one would expect perfection, people just expect you not to sell your kid into prostitution...

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/16/crimesider/entry5671683.shtml

...or the like.

and those parents need to be in prison and pay for it. But no one should be able to predict the future.

going back to the costs...who pays for the doctor's visit and the sterilization until someone else deems you fit to be a parent? who is to say the doctor's wouldn't get greedy and keep people from becoming parents to just fill their wallets?

sorry, but if that was the case when I got pregnant...I'd move to another country

The government. :smile:

I know that some countries have a rather severe irrational case of "cummunistaphobia"... but some things are, in my humble opinion, a wee bit more important...

In my country, we're not communist, we have democratic elections, we're a peaceful country, no wars, businesses thrive, however, there is free health care for everyone. We manage to not blow up.

If a country could manage free health care for everyone, I don't see how government subsidized reversible sterilizations couldn't happen.

But as I said, debating this in this day and age is futile. I don't think it'd happen in our lifetimes.

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 05:57 PM
Edited by JasmineInglewood on Sat 01/02/10 05:58 PM
no-one would expect perfection, people just expect you not to sell your kid into prostitution...

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/16/crimesider/entry5671683.shtml

...or the like.

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 05:48 PM

so who decides who can have children? what criteria? you don't really know if they will be a good parent until the kids are born.

There are some I wouldn't have let them watch my dog, but turned out to be great parents.

Some I would have thought would be excellent parents but now I wouldn't let them watch my dog....let alone be parents.

Psychologists could dedicate themselves to perfecting the criteria. Perhaps trial periods could be employed where people care for pets first etc...

I'm just a psych student, but I'm sure that if people put their minds to it such a system of evaluations could be devised. I think the magnitude of the responsibility of raising a child is very much worth the effort.

Instead of thinking up ways it could go wrong, as is the natural human tendency with any kind of change, I think that energy could be better spent figuring out how to perfect it. Think about the many ways the status quo fails.

Ah well, maybe the human race isn't ready quite yet. Maybe in the next couple hundred years or so.

in theory, that would be good. The problem is no one can predict how a person would be as a parent 100%

A good friend of mine in school got pregnant at 16. she was wild and into drugs. Now, she is a great parent. her oldest child is my son's good friend. She grew up and took responsibility when she got pregnant.

I'm sure psychologists would have told her (back then) she shouldn't have kids. She came from a bad family. But they would have been wrong

There are child abusers that (looking back) you would have never guessed they would abuse their kids as well.

repeated yearly evaluations. if turned down one year, if she wanted the child badly enough, could get off drugs etc and apply again the next year.

the incidence of child abusers would be dramatically decreased, but those few that slip through doesn't mean that the entire system should be scrapped. that's like the fda banning condoms because they're not 100% fail proof.

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 05:33 PM

so who decides who can have children? what criteria? you don't really know if they will be a good parent until the kids are born.

There are some I wouldn't have let them watch my dog, but turned out to be great parents.

Some I would have thought would be excellent parents but now I wouldn't let them watch my dog....let alone be parents.

Psychologists could dedicate themselves to perfecting the criteria. Perhaps trial periods could be employed where people care for pets first etc...

I'm just a psych student, but I'm sure that if people put their minds to it such a system of evaluations could be devised. I think the magnitude of the responsibility of raising a child is very much worth the effort.

Instead of thinking up ways it could go wrong, as is the natural human tendency with any kind of change, I think that energy could be better spent figuring out how to perfect it. Think about the many ways the status quo fails.

Ah well, maybe the human race isn't ready quite yet. Maybe in the next couple hundred years or so.

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 05:27 PM
Edited by JasmineInglewood on Sat 01/02/10 05:37 PM

a problem with the test is that someone can be highly intelligent but that doesn't mean they would be good parents.

I do wonder sometimes about parents, though....like my neighbors

I think the OP meant psychological testing which do not just test intelligence.

@ OP - I agree. If I were queen of the world I'd temporarily sterilize everybody at birth and make each person undergo psych evaluations to assess their ability to love and care for another human being before they have the procedure reversed

Reversals do not always work....... What then?

That would be unfortunate... hopefully science would perfect the process by the time I'm queen of the universe bigsmile

If not, there's adoption.

What I find to be even more unfortunate than the inability to have your own biological children, is the abuse of children born to sociopaths.

Now that I think about it, putting a child up for adoption if everyone is sterilized until they apply for reversal would be pretty rare...

What I meant, i guess, was surrogate pregnancies, paid for by my administration :thumbsup: bigsmile

JasmineInglewood's photo
Sat 01/02/10 05:10 PM
Edited by JasmineInglewood on Sat 01/02/10 05:11 PM

a problem with the test is that someone can be highly intelligent but that doesn't mean they would be good parents.

I do wonder sometimes about parents, though....like my neighbors

I think the OP meant psychological testing which do not just test intelligence.

@ OP - I agree. If I were queen of the world I'd temporarily sterilize everybody at birth and make each person undergo psych evaluations to assess their ability to love and care for another human being before they have the procedure reversed

Reversals do not always work....... What then?

That would be unfortunate... hopefully science would perfect the process by the time I'm queen of the universe bigsmile

If not, there's adoption.

What I find to be even more unfortunate than the inability to have your own biological children, is the abuse of children born to sociopaths.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25