Community > Posts By > Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin's photo
Sun 12/22/19 02:05 PM

Interesting FACTS

physicians per 1,000 in US 2.6
physicians per 1,000 in UK 2.8

In 2017, there were over 36.5 million hospital admissions in the United States. (11 percent)

In 2016, there were with 16.2 million admissions in the UK during 2015-16 (24 percent of pop)

Oddly, I am briefly working in the insurance industry. This is what I can tell you. According to the facts, the US and the UK are roughly equally fared in their capability to see patients, according to the above researchable facts.

However, those facts also reveal that a larger portion of people in the UK bother to go to hospital. The facts cannot say why. That is a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that everything has pros and cons. For me, the cons of a NHS may be the resulting wait times or 'quality'(however that is decided and defined).

The cons of the US system is higher costs for patients which MAY result in fewer people who NEED healthcare bothering to see a physician and therefore receiving NO healthcare.

Free market, in my opinion, for many things, sets up privilege for the privileged and struggle for the average joe. That means higher tuition costs that 'justify' higher physicians costs, and higher insurance costs. It all ties in together.

That means hospital and doctors bills can be much larger than the average worker can afford, not to mention those are debts that impact credit scores, which also affects prices and eligibility for things like homes, for the average worker.

So, we may have better 'quality' and fewer wait times here. But I do not personally feel the trade off is worth it if it means only a few people get the benefit of it and more people become indebted because of it.

And when we talk 'coverage', that does not even take into account things like deductibles and out of pocket costs that have to be covered by the patient, before insurance really 'covers' them for many services.

Jeff Martin's photo
Sun 12/22/19 02:05 PM

Interesting FACTS

physicians per 1,000 in US 2.6
physicians per 1,000 in UK 2.8

In 2017, there were over 36.5 million hospital admissions in the United States. (11 percent)

In 2016, there were with 16.2 million admissions in the UK during 2015-16 (24 percent of pop)

Oddly, I am briefly working in the insurance industry. This is what I can tell you. According to the facts, the US and the UK are roughly equally fared in their capability to see patients, according to the above researchable facts.

However, those facts also reveal that a larger portion of people in the UK bother to go to hospital. The facts cannot say why. That is a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that everything has pros and cons. For me, the cons of a NHS may be the resulting wait times or 'quality'(however that is decided and defined).

The cons of the US system is higher costs for patients which MAY result in fewer people who NEED healthcare bothering to see a physician and therefore receiving NO healthcare.

Free market, in my opinion, for many things, sets up privilege for the privileged and struggle for the average joe. That means higher tuition costs that 'justify' higher physicians costs, and higher insurance costs. It all ties in together.

That means hospital and doctors bills can be much larger than the average worker can afford, not to mention those are debts that impact credit scores, which also affects prices and eligibility for things like homes, for the average worker.

So, we may have better 'quality' and fewer wait times here. But I do not personally feel the trade off is worth it if it means only a few people get the benefit of it and more people become indebted because of it.

And when we talk 'coverage', that does not even take into account things like deductibles and out of pocket costs that have to be covered by the patient, before insurance really 'covers' them for many services.