Community > Posts By > madisonman

madisonman's photo
Tue 01/27/09 04:31 PM
Lets face it Pastor Ted is gay because god decides all things. God made him gay.

madisonman's photo
Tue 01/27/09 02:17 PM

Oh...so what's your point? Someone fell into sin because of the bombardment of LIB speak all these years? Like seculars don't have their own hypocrisy to deal with?

It just goes to show how far people have sunk & why all people need Jesus.

Thanks for making the case. :smile:

He's gay because of "LIB speak"? noway slaphead

Possibly it was gods will?

madisonman's photo
Tue 01/27/09 02:15 PM
Here is a free link to Fahrenheit 911 its the entire movie. Enjoy http://www.megavideo.com/?v=TNCEAXFQ

madisonman's photo
Tue 01/27/09 01:49 PM

Not going to lie, didn't read the article. But unless the "young man" in question was underage--who the hell cares? (Pardon my language.)
Its only interesting because pastor ted preaches an anti homosexual thing and also anti drug etc etc. Hypocracy is allways fun.

madisonman's photo
Tue 01/27/09 01:46 PM

Unions My ASS,The only thing unions do r
1.Make u pay them so some one can go on a three week vacation on u.

2.Take food off your plates

3. Cry like the babies they r.

Here is a question for u, What r the unions doing for the auto industry?

Answer Not a damn thing.

I have been employed at the same company for ten years,just got a raise on the first of the year,put me up over 17 dollars an hour and guess what,NO Union
Unions r a dead breed.
Many hundreds of thousands if not millions made a good liveing for many many years and sent their kids to collage to better themselves. I make 21.85 an hour pay forty five in union dues and forty five for family medical, a company pension also is included its a nice one. My union has done alot for me and my family. Good luck sending your kids to collage I am wondering how I will do it on what I make. Did I mension my family medical is only a ten buck co pay? and 100% after that. Its the only thing keeping me from moveing to canada. :wink:

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 06:24 PM
In retrospect, George W. Bush’s presidency could be viewed as a science-fiction disaster movie in which an alien force seizes illegitimate control of a nation, saps its wealth, wreaks devastation, but is finally dislodged and forced to depart amid human hope for a rebirth.

There was even a satisfying concluding scene as a new human leader takes power amid cheers of a liberated populace. The alien flees aboard a form of air transportation (in this case, a helicopter), departing to the jeers of thousands and many wishes of good riddance.

After Bush’s departure on Jan. 20, 2009, the real-life masses actually had the look of survivors in a disaster movie, dressed mostly in ragtag clothing – ski caps, parkas, boots and blankets – bent against the cold winds trudging through streets largely devoid of traffic.

My 20-year-old son, Jeff, and I made our way home from the Mall to our house in Arlington, Virginia, by hiking across the 14th Street Bridge, part of the normally busy Interstate 395, except that only buses and official vehicles were using it on Inauguration Day.

So, the bridge became an impromptu walkway with clumps of half-frozen pedestrians straggling across it, over the icy Potomac. Jeff and I picked an exit ramp near the Pentagon, clambered over some road dividers, and worked our way to Pentagon City where we’d parked the car. It took much of the afternoon and evening for the cold to work its way out of our bodies.

Everyone I’ve talked to who attended Barack Obama’s Inauguration had similar tales of transportation woes – standing in long lines in freezing temperatures, frustrated by jammed subway stations, walking long distances – but no one was angry. Remarkably, police reported no Inaugural-related arrests.

Despite the grim economy and other havoc left behind by Bush and his associates, Inauguration Day 2009 was filled with a joy that I have rarely seen on the streets of Washington, a city that even at its best is not known for spontaneous bursts of happiness.

But there was more than joy that day; there was a sense of liberation.

An estimated 1.8 million people braved the frigid temperatures and the transportation foul-ups to witness not only Obama’s swearing-in, but Bush’s ushering-out. They not only cheered Obama and other favorites, but many booed those considered responsible for the national plundering, especially Bush and the wheelchair-bound **** Cheney.

Watching the Jumbotrons

Jeff and I were part of the crowd standing on the frozen Mall nearly 14 blocks from the Capitol. We watched the Inaugural events on one of the many Jumbotrons, which showed scenes inside the Capitol building as well as on the outdoor podium.

So, when Bush arrived or when Cheney was wheeled into view, many people booed and heckled. Bush was serenaded with the mocking lyrics, “Na-na-nah-na, na-na-nah-na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye.” One group near us started singing, “Hit the road, Jack.”

Some Georgetown students next to Jeff tut-tutted the failure to show more deference to the departing President and Vice President, but most people either laughed or joined in. To them, it seemed that taunting Bush and Cheney was the least that could be done, since the pair had been spared impeachment and, so far, any other accountability for the harm they caused.

But what was perhaps more striking was the absence of any noticeable protests against Obama. Surely there must have been some placards somewhere protesting something, but I didn’t see any in the seven hours that it took for Jeff and me to get to the Mall, wait for the Inauguration and then make our way back to Arlington.

The contrast to eight years earlier couldn’t have been starker.

Like all disaster movies, there has to be an early, ominous scene – and Jan. 20, 2001, was it, a grim gray day of icy rain when George W. Bush was to become the new American President.

That morning, I was with my other two sons, Sam and Nat, as we made our way to a spot along the Inaugural parade route, a sequence that became the opening chapter of our book, Neck Deep, which chronicles many disasters of Bush’s presidency. We wrote:

The rain pelted down in icy-cold droplets, chilling both the protesters in soaked parkas and the well-dressed celebrants bent behind umbrellas to shield their furs and cashmere overcoats.

Drawn to this historic moment – a time of triumph for some and fury for others – the two opposing groups jostled and pushed their way through security checkpoints, joining the tens of thousands pressing against rows of riot police lining Pennsylvania Avenue.

After taking the subway from Arlington, Virginia, the three of us joined the crowd crammed into a block of 13th Street, on the north side of Pennsylvania Avenue, near the point where Inaugural parades bend in their grand procession from the U.S. Capitol, turn right at the foot of the U.S. Treasury and then veer left before passing in front of the White House.

To our right was a stone expanse called Freedom Plaza, where temporary viewing stands had been erected for invited guests. To our left stood a twelve-story building, with the red awnings of a CVS pharmacy on the ground level and rounded balconies of corporate offices on the floors above.

The elegantly attired Republicans squeezed their way through the angry crowd of drenched protesters to the VIP stands or to those rounded balconies, which offered protection from the rain and an unobstructed view of Pennsylvania Avenue below.

The Republicans had come to cheer the new U.S. President, George W. Bush, privileged scion of a powerful political family who nonetheless ended his gerunds by dropping the “g” to convey the populist image of a Texas wildcatter.

Bush was replacing President Bill Clinton, a Democrat who had survived an impeachment battle over a sexual dalliance with a former White House intern. To Bush supporters, the new President would bring back the warmly remembered propriety of his father, President George H.W. Bush.

One of George W. Bush’s biggest applause lines of Campaign 2000 was his vow to restore “honor and dignity” to the Oval Office.

Day of Infamy

But other Americans believed Jan. 20, 2001, was a day of infamy for the American Republic. It was the first time in 112 years that a popular-vote loser was to be installed as President of the United States – and then only after he engineered an unprecedented intervention by political allies on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Five Republican justices had stopped the vote count in the swing state of Florida, where Bush’s brother, Jeb, was governor and other Bush loyalists oversaw the election, which then was awarded to Bush by 537 votes out of six million ballots cast.

So, on that cold, wet January day, tens of thousands of protesters poured into the streets of Washington, shouting angry slogans and waving handwritten anti-Bush signs.

The protesters were convinced that Bush had stolen the presidential election and, in so doing, had disenfranchised the plurality of citizens who had cast their ballots for Democrat Al Gore.

Some signs were addressed directly to Bush. “You’re not my President,” read one. “I know you lost,” said another. One sign had just two large letters, “NO.” To these Americans, Bush’s ascension to the nation’s highest office was a travesty of democracy.

Some Republicans in the balconies shouted “Sore Loserman!” down at the crowd, reprising a taunt that right-wing activists had coined to bait supporters of the Democratic ticket of Al Gore and Joe Lieberman during the Florida recount battle.

But the bullying tone, which had characterized the Republicans during those bitter days of November and December, was gone. They seemed taken aback by the size and ferocity of the anti-Bush crowd. Some protesters shouted back up to the balconies, “Jump! Jump!”

The anti-Bush protesters pulsated with the fury of a people who had been robbed of something irreplaceable, like some precious heirloom handed down reverentially through generations and which was now gone.

It was as if the protesters sensed they represented the “posterity” that the Founders had envisioned when they laid the cornerstones of a democratic Republic almost 225 years earlier.

Many in the crowd – like the three of us – had gone into the streets that rainy day to bear witness against a violation of the most basic covenant of democracy, that the choice of leaders must be left in the hands of the voters, even when the margins are as narrow as they were in Election 2000.

Wise Heads

Though few protesters could have seriously thought they had any chance of reclaiming the nation’s democratic legacy that day, they acted as if their presence could at least negate the nodding capitulation of the wise heads of Washington.

That acquiescence to a Bush restoration had crossed party lines to include senior Democrats in Congress and extended into the editorial offices of major American news organizations. Many pundits and politicians acted as if it were a quaint notion that the candidate with the most votes was the one who was supposed to win.

That bemused complacency of the elites contrasted with an uncompromising anger in the streets. As Bush took the oath of office, becoming the 43rd President and completing his extraordinary power grab, the growing fury of the crowd built toward a crescendo.

Rather than cheers for the new President, the capital echoed with resounding chants of “Hail to the Thief!”

As Bush’s limousine began the traditional slow-moving ride down Pennsylvania Avenue, some protesters mocked Bush with a chant of, “Oh, no! Gore’s ahead, I better call my brother Jeb,” and the more succinct slogan, “Gore got more!”

Though the size and intensity of this protest against an incoming President were unprecedented at least since the Vietnam War, little of the chaos and drama along Pennsylvania Avenue found its way into the mainstream coverage of Bush’s Inauguration.

The major news media approached the event mostly with the hackneyed template of a new President taking office amid a celebration of democracy.

There was little said about Bush losing the national popular vote by more than a half million ballots or how he had clung to his narrow victory in Florida only by the grace of tortured legal logic from five Republicans on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Nor was there much commentary about how the anti-democratic election outcome – and the heavy police presence to prevent anti-Bush rioting in Washington – gave the Inauguration the feel of an American state of siege.

Instead, Washington’s “conventional wisdom” was all about the need for healing, for rallying around the new President and for putting the national bitterness – of both Election 2000 and the eight years of Bill Clinton’s presidency – in the past.

Private Satisfaction

Many Washington insiders felt private satisfaction with the outcome. They had despised Clinton and were pleased by the defeat of his sidekick Gore.

At pre-Inaugural dinner parties around Washington in January 2001, there was open nostalgia for the “good ol’ days” of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, when integrity and honesty supposedly ruled. A favorite Washington comment in anticipation of George W. Bush’s Inauguration was that it would “put the adults back in charge.”

So, there was little tolerance for the full-throated complaints of the thousands of demonstrators waving protest signs and shaking their fists at the Inaugural parade. TV anchors and political commentators treated the protests as a tasteless nuisance, when the demonstrations were mentioned at all.

It would take more than three years for the fuller historic picture to be put into focus by Michael Moore’s documentary, “Fahrenheit 9/11.” Moore highlighted dramatic Inauguration Day scenes of protesters surging through the streets, scuffling with police and egging Bush’s limousine as it descended from Capitol Hill toward the White House.

“The plan to have Bush get out of the limo for the traditional walk to the White House was scrapped,” Moore said in narrating the footage of masses of Americans decrying Bush’s tainted victory. “Bush’s limo hit the gas to prevent an even larger riot. No President had ever witnessed such a thing on his Inauguration Day.”

From our cramped vantage point on 13th Street, we couldn’t see the egg-throwing incident which occurred several blocks to our left. But we did notice the presidential limousine and security vehicles speed up, hurrying past both those Americans who came to honor Bush and those who stood in the rain to heckle him.

After the limousine rushed past, the crowd experienced a few moments of confusion as the facts of Bush’s hasty passage rippled back through the protesters.

Soon, the reality of Bush’s presidency began to sink in bringing with it a pang of disappointment to many demonstrators. What many of them saw as an American coup d’etat was a fait accompli.

The bedraggled protesters shouted a few more choruses of “Hail to the Thief!” and slowly began to disperse.

Surveying the Wreckage

Now, eight years later, a fuller measure can be taken of what Bush’s power grab meant for the United States – the federal debt ballooning, the economy in freefall, unemployment skyrocketing (along with bankruptcies and foreclosures), environmental degradation, two open-ended wars, and the nation’s image around the world soiled by torture and other official crimes.

It’s also increasingly clear how narrowly the American Republic dodged a bullet, one fired by Bush operatives who saw Bush as a leader who would transform the U.S. political system into a virtual one-party state with a “permanent Republican majority” and Democrats kept around as a cosmetic appendage.

In furtherance of that goal, Karl Rove and other Bush political aides collaborated to politicize the Justice Department, install ideological judges on the federal bench and exploit a powerful right-wing media apparatus as a means of bullying dissenters – all to ensure that GOP power could survive any serious challenges.

There was a feeling of incipient totalitarianism, too, as post-9/11, the Bush administration wiretapped communications and explored ways to “data-mine” the electronic records of virtually anyone who operated in the modern economy – what the Pentagon’s research arm, DARPA, called “Total Information Awareness.”

At times over the past eight years, it seemed like only the bravest Americans – whether in politics, journalism or other walks of life – dared to stand up to the Bush/Republican juggernaut. Even entertainers who uttered critical words about Bush – like the Dixie Chicks – faced career reprisals and, in some cases, death threats.

It is a tribute to those courageous Americans who stood up to Bush and his henchmen during those dark times that this wave of totalitarianism was turned back, albeit at an extraordinary cost to the United States and the world.

So, when nearly two million Americans rallied on the National Mall on Jan. 20, 2009, they were not there just to celebrate the Inauguration of Barack Obama. They were there to witness the departure of Bush and Cheney.

In a sense, the humans were there to make sure the aliens really did depart – and to celebrate the survival, and possibly the renewal, of a great Republic.
_______

About author
Robert Parry broke many of the Iran-Contra stories in the 1980s for the Associated Press and Newsweek. His latest book, Secrecy & Privilege: Rise of the Bush Dynasty from Watergate to Iraq, can be ordered at secrecyandprivilege.com. It's also available at Amazon.com, as is his 1999 book, Lost History: Contras, Cocaine, the Press & 'Project Truth.
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/19969

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 06:22 PM

Unions? Really? Ever been to Michigan?

true story.. I was doing field work for a geophysical consulting firm and we had a job in Michigan at at mfg plant. They wanted to set down a 400 ton piece of equipment on this plot of open ground but the plant manager suspected that there was some buried utilities under the ground in question. So.. solution? do a GPR survey and find where the buried whatevers, map them out and be on our way.. easy right? Should take about half a day, max.

well we get to the site and the pliot of ground is overgrown with about three feet of grass over which it would be impossible to run my equipment.. no problem. GO talk to the foreman, tell him I need the site mowed before I can do my job.. he says ok, he'll see what he can do. Comes back an hour later, tells me the "guy" in charge of ground maintenance is on vacatin for two weeks. I say, 'ok, what's the big deal? get someone else to mow it'

he looked at me like I just insulted his mother..

apparently, it;s like the third commandment of union.. thou shalt not do another guys job, even if it's got to be done today and he ain't coming back for two weeks.

so... we wait around all bleeping day waiting for the union chiefs to scratch their heads and come up with a solution to this "problem".. there was a mower in a shed not a hundred yards from where we had parked the van. I could have had the damn lot mowed, survey done and map made in the time it took these d-bags to find someone with "union authorization" to do a job a 10 year old could have done...

moral of the story?? unions are a waste of time and are THE reason most manufacturing jobs have moved to singapore or some other god foresaken hell hole on the other side of the world...
If you say its true it must be ..............

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 06:12 PM

Unions have vastly over stepped their power!

Why is it with a college education I can't get a job over $30 yet some high school drop out can get $90 an hour turning screws at an auto manufacturing plant?

Thanks to unions forcing the hand of many manufacturers they businesses scrambled to China who don't play that game. I was UAW 148 and while I was starving and out of work they couldn't get me into work because of their seniority.

The unions got to get it in their heads they have to allow wages to drop or business in this country will just leave and if we loose more of our manufacturing capability we are screwed as a nation!

Instead of pressuring manufacturers to pay more should they not focus more on keeping their jobs rather than make the companies they are pressuring go away?

The answer fifty years ago was WAR! Both Korea and Viet Nam. War spurred our economy and nothing else! It was the only way to get manufacturing to go up. Now everyone wants to be a manager. Back then everybody whined about Japan taking over. We were in a cold war with Russia and making as many nukes as we could stockpile. Tensions were different back then.

These days of you want to help the economy people got to learn to stop borrowing money and stop living on credit! Stop buying Mercedes Benzes and BMWs on credit!

Everybody keeps looking to the so called experts in Washington to save us and they are the ones making the problems worst!

THE LAST THING THIS COUNTRY NEEDS IS MORE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING!

UNIONS ARE NOT GOOD ANY MORE! Sorry but you evidently did not study economics very well.
Iam sorry there are so many inacuracies in this post I cant respond in any way.

That is not a very enlightened response. What exactly are your credentials to be citing history exactly?

I'm sure you lack a proper response to my challenge to your beliefs...

I may be bad at Logarithms but I rock at statistics and history. union power hit its peak in the late 1950's but that was when businesses began to migrate. Now the American Auto makers are sucking wind from flat sales and OVERLY HIGH labor rates. You are aware that a Employer does not have to offer Benies at all? Health and Dental come out of an Employers ass at great expense. That adds to the bottom line the Employee is earning because if the employee is making 12 and hour the costs behind make that employee almost $50 an hour thanks to the benies and SSID tax matching most Employers have to pay.

Do you even own or run your own business? If not I think you need to respond a little more intelligently or shut up! Some of us are in the fire trying to stay a float as a business in trying times. Most of the times people praising Unions do not have their own businesses. I sure do not hear any business owner praising them ESPECIALLY in construction!
Im sorry I dont run a business I see things through the eye of the working class. I suppose that makes mewrong and your right eh? anyhow do you know what the corperate tax was in the 1950's? You did say history was your subject.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:55 PM

Can't you see that this is all talk? This has been going on forever the last 20 years...NAFTA...GATT... all the uneven trade agreements. the sell out of corporations, AMERICAN ones...for the cheap labor etc etc. the influx of illegals hurt the working class & continues to.

Rockefeller Reps ...Limosine Libs... don't you see they are all the same?

What I don't understand is why everyone bashes the religious right when they have moral integrity & a conscience to do what's right?
I never bother any religiouse person in their church of choice on Sunday morning. I expect them not to bug me on election day or at the school board meetings or townhalls.

They have every right to have a say in what goes on in govt whether you like it or not. Why am I not surprized that you missed the point?
I suppose I have to explain the seperation of Church and State. WIsh I had more time.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:54 PM

Unions have vastly over stepped their power!

Why is it with a college education I can't get a job over $30 yet some high school drop out can get $90 an hour turning screws at an auto manufacturing plant?

Thanks to unions forcing the hand of many manufacturers they businesses scrambled to China who don't play that game. I was UAW 148 and while I was starving and out of work they couldn't get me into work because of their seniority.

The unions got to get it in their heads they have to allow wages to drop or business in this country will just leave and if we loose more of our manufacturing capability we are screwed as a nation!

Instead of pressuring manufacturers to pay more should they not focus more on keeping their jobs rather than make the companies they are pressuring go away?

The answer fifty years ago was WAR! Both Korea and Viet Nam. War spurred our economy and nothing else! It was the only way to get manufacturing to go up. Now everyone wants to be a manager. Back then everybody whined about Japan taking over. We were in a cold war with Russia and making as many nukes as we could stockpile. Tensions were different back then.

These days of you want to help the economy people got to learn to stop borrowing money and stop living on credit! Stop buying Mercedes Benzes and BMWs on credit!

Everybody keeps looking to the so called experts in Washington to save us and they are the ones making the problems worst!

THE LAST THING THIS COUNTRY NEEDS IS MORE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING!

UNIONS ARE NOT GOOD ANY MORE! Sorry but you evidently did not study economics very well.
Iam sorry there are so many inacuracies in this post I cant respond in any way.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:52 PM

It is partisan when DEMS act like they didn't know.
prove they did.

Now you're being intellectually dishonest. You want to accuse BUSH & give a free pass to DEMS? (Accuse being the operative word here.) They voted to give BUSH what he asked for. They also served on those commitees.

Come on now...REALITY check.
A link would be fine at least it would be something to work with.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:51 PM

Can't you see that this is all talk? This has been going on forever the last 20 years...NAFTA...GATT... all the uneven trade agreements. the sell out of corporations, AMERICAN ones...for the cheap labor etc etc. the influx of illegals hurt the working class & continues to.

Rockefeller Reps ...Limosine Libs... don't you see they are all the same?

What I don't understand is why everyone bashes the religious right when they have moral integrity & a conscience to do what's right?
I never bother any religiouse person in their church of choice on Sunday morning. I expect them not to bug me on election day or at the school board meetings or townhalls.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:44 PM

It is partisan when DEMS act like they didn't know.
prove they did.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:40 PM
by Robert B. Reich

Why is this recession so deep, and what can be done to reverse it?

Hint: Go back about 50 years, when America's middle class was expanding and the economy was soaring. Paychecks were big enough to allow us to buy all the goods and services we produced. It was a virtuous circle. Good pay meant more purchases, and more purchases meant more jobs.

At the center of this virtuous circle were unions. In 1955, more than a third of working Americans belonged to one. Unions gave them the bargaining leverage they needed to get the paychecks that kept the economy going. So many Americans were unionized that wage agreements spilled over to nonunionized workplaces as well. Employers knew they had to match union wages to compete for workers and to recruit the best ones.

Fast forward to a new century. Now, fewer than 8% of private-sector workers are unionized. Corporate opponents argue that Americans no longer want unions. But public opinion surveys, such as a comprehensive poll that Peter D. Hart Research Associates conducted in 2006, suggest that a majority of workers would like to have a union to bargain for better wages, benefits and working conditions. So there must be some other reason for this dramatic decline.

But put that question aside for a moment. One point is clear: Smaller numbers of unionized workers mean less bargaining power, and less bargaining power results in lower wages.

It's no wonder middle-class incomes were dropping even before the recession. As our economy grew between 2001 and the start of 2007, most Americans didn't share in the prosperity. By the time the recession began last year, according to an Economic Policy Institute study, the median income of households headed by those under age 65 was below what it was in 2000.

Typical families kept buying only by going into debt. This was possible as long as the housing bubble expanded. Home-equity loans and refinancing made up for declining paychecks. But that's over. American families no longer have the purchasing power to keep the economy going. Lower paychecks, or no paychecks at all, mean fewer purchases, and fewer purchases mean fewer jobs.

The way to get the economy back on track is to boost the purchasing power of the middle class. One major way to do this is to expand the percentage of working Americans in unions.

Tax rebates won't work because they don't permanently raise wages. Most families used the rebate last year to pay off debt -- not a bad thing, but it doesn't keep the virtuous circle running.

Bank bailouts won't work either. Businesses won't borrow to expand without consumers to buy their goods and services. And Americans themselves can't borrow when they're losing their jobs and their incomes are dropping.

Tax cuts for working families, as President Obama intends, can do more to help because they extend over time. But only higher wages and benefits for the middle class will have a lasting effect.

Unions matter in this equation. According to the Department of Labor, workers in unions earn 30% higher wages -- taking home $863 a week, compared with $663 for the typical nonunion worker -- and are 59% more likely to have employer-provided health insurance than their nonunion counterparts.

Examples abound. In 2007, nearly 12,000 janitors in Providence, R.I., New Hampshire and Boston, represented by the Service Employees International Union, won a contract that raised their wages to $16 an hour, guaranteed more work hours and provided family health insurance. In an industry typically staffed by part-time workers with a high turnover rate, a union contract provided janitors with full-time, sustainable jobs that they could count on to raise their families' -- and their communities' -- standard of living.

In August, 65,000 Verizon workers, represented by the Communications Workers of America, won wage increases totaling nearly 11% and converted temporary jobs to full-time status. Not only did the settlement preserve fully paid healthcare premiums for all active and retired unionized employees, but Verizon also agreed to provide $2 million a year to fund a collaborative campaign with its unions to achieve meaningful national healthcare reform.

Although America and its economy need unions, it's become nearly impossible for employees to form one. The Hart poll I cited tells us that 57 million workers would want to be in a union if they could have one. But those who try to form a union, according to researchers at MIT, have only about a 1 in 5 chance of successfully doing so.

The reason? Most of the time, employees who want to form a union are threatened and intimidated by their employers. And all too often, if they don't heed the warnings, they're fired, even though that's illegal. I saw this when I was secretary of Labor over a decade ago. We tried to penalize employers that broke the law, but the fines are minuscule. Too many employers consider them a cost of doing business.

This isn't right. The most important feature of the Employee Free Choice Act, which will be considered by the just-seated 111th Congress, toughens penalties against companies that violate their workers' rights. The sooner it's enacted, the better -- for U.S. workers and for the U.S. economy.

The American middle class isn't looking for a bailout or a handout. Most people just want a chance to share in the success of the companies they help to prosper. Making it easier for all Americans to form unions would give the middle class the bargaining power it needs for better wages and benefits. And a strong and prosperous middle class is necessary if our economy is to succeed.

Robert B. Reich, former U.S. secretary of Labor, is professor of public policy at UC Berkeley and the author, most recently, of "Supercapitalism."

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/01/26-7

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:38 PM

This has to be one of the most idiotic articles I have ever read. I especially love the part about doctors and police only being able the fact. Wasn't this rant originally about God? Seriously, they are humans. Unless there is some mysterious crystal ball shoved up their butt, how else are they to know in advance that some freak act is about to happen. If you are so against this country and its beliefs, I welcome you to leave. Try finding it anywhere better on this beautiful planet.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! drinker drinker drinker
Thank you for reading it sorry you didnt enjoy it as much as I did. Much of it made perfect sence to me, some of it didnt. What a terrible place it would be if we all were the same.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:36 PM

BOO! ...and right out of Stalin's handbook too! LOL

All this partisan bickering isn't going to amount to anything if OBAMA & DEMS don't get things done. Don't think for one minute sensible americans are going to put up with this sort of thing when they want DEMS to come up with VIABLE solutions.

The partisan withchunts aren't going to go over well. At all when other things need to be done. I think OBAMA better show the same class BUSH did toward him.
From the post above. "The Republicans want Holder to promise that he won't attempt to bring to justice the evildoers who approved water-boarding and other harsh methods of interrogation that are barred by our laws and the international treaties that govern civilized conduct in wartime. "

Its not partisan to uphold laws and treaties we have signed.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:28 PM
by Joseph L. Galloway

While President Barack Obama was busy closing down our military prison in Guantanamo and shuttering the Central Intelligence Agency's secret Gulag around the world, Republicans on Capitol Hill were stalling a vote on Obama’s choice for attorney general, apparently in hopes of negotiating a plea bargain on war crimes.
Although it violates everything we know and believe about equality under the law, the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee, led astray by Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, forced a week’s delay in voting on Eric Holder's nomination to be the new attorney general in a crude attempt to get him to swear that he won’t prosecute anyone from the Bush administration for violating our laws.

The Republicans want Holder to promise that he won't attempt to bring to justice the evildoers who approved water-boarding and other harsh methods of interrogation that are barred by our laws and the international treaties that govern civilized conduct in wartime.

Never mind that the new president has signaled his unwillingness to look backward and investigate the illegal conduct of the Bush regime at a time when he wants to focus on jump-starting the economy and restarting the rusty engine of diplomacy in a dangerous world.

Never mind that the attorney general is supposed to be the nation's chief law enforcement officer and that his Justice Department is supposed to uphold the law without fear or favor.

Never mind that Holder's nomination will be overwhelmingly approved if and when it's brought to a Senate vote.

It's the attorney general's sworn duty to uphold the law and pursue criminal violations, wherever they lead. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the President of the United States and those around him are immune to criminal charges.

The Republicans in general and Cornyn in particular, however, want a Justice Department and an attorney general who will sign on to politics as usual, as it was defined in the time of George W. Bush and **** Cheney and their pitiful attorneys general from John Ashcroft to Michael Mukasey.

Not since the days of John Mitchell has the office of attorney general been so degraded as it was during the tenure of Alberto Gonzales, who today has a grand jury all over him investigating whether he committed crimes large and small.

The Republicans in the Senate apparently want Holder to reprise Gonzales' role of seeing, speaking and hearing no evil, even when evil is all around him.

Mr. Holder's response must be a simple, “No, I cannot and I will not do that. I will repair and restore a Justice Department that will fulfill its duty and mission of upholding the law. I cannot begin my term by promising that I won't do my duty under the law.”

And as much as President Obama may want to focus on the urgent problems he's inherited and face the future, not the past, it would be a grievous error to turn a blind eye to the criminal behavior of the last administration.

The Democratic majority in Congress should be outraged by all the quibbling, equivocating and outright lying that Bush officials did to oversight committees. It should be furious that Bush's closest aides ignored invitations and subpoenas to testify under oath. By all means, let Congress establish a 9/11-type commission to investigate the worst violations and violators.

While they're at it, they also should establish a Truman Commission to investigate war profiteering by the Halliburtons and the KBRs and the other no-bid, no-perform contractors who looted billions of dollars from our programs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But blue-ribbon commissions, whether congressional or presidential, are long on talk and short on action.

It will fall to Mr. Holder and his renovated and reinvigorated Justice Department to plumb the depths of lawbreaking by the previous administration and its leaders and followers.

Nothing less will suffice. Nothing less will convince the American people that we live in a nation where no man is above the law.

Our farsighted forebears had reason to fear and hate the capricious rule of kings and emperors, and they sought in virtually every line of our Constitution and Bill of Rights to ensure that no man was ever above the law; that no man in America could ever appropriate absolute power for himself.

We've lived through a long national nightmare — a time when those in power played on our fears to emasculate constitutional protections and individual rights in the name of security. Taking away freedom to protect freedom is akin to that Vietnam War officer who famously said: "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."

The only way we can repair all the damage they did is to confront those who led us astray, led us far from our roots and our hopes and our dreams and into a dark nether world where in order to save freedom we were willing to surrender it.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, after all, is for good men to do nothing.

© McClatchy Newspapers 2009
Joseph L. Galloway, a military columnist for McClatchy Newspapers, is the co-author, with Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, of "We Were Soldiers Once... and Young," a story of the first large-scale ground battle of the Vietnam War.
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/01/26-2

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:25 PM

This has to be one of the most idiotic articles I have ever read. I especially love the part about doctors and police only being able the fact. Wasn't this rant originally about God? Seriously, they are humans. Unless there is some mysterious crystal ball shoved up their butt, how else are they to know in advance that some freak act is about to happen. If you are so against this country and its beliefs, I welcome you to leave. Try finding it anywhere better on this beautiful planet.
Thank you for reading it sorry you didnt enjoy it as much as I did. Much of it made perfect sence to me, some of it didnt. What a terrible place it would be if we all were the same.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:15 PM
Edited by madisonman on Mon 01/26/09 05:19 PM

I'll never scream bush. Never...
Im with you on the GW thing.

madisonman's photo
Mon 01/26/09 05:00 PM
By Ted Twietmeyer
1-25-9

Biblically Hell is supposedly down deep in the Earth. As the most unpleasant place in the universe, no one should desire to go there. A place reserved for the scum of the Earth, the unrepentant, the killers, the unforgiving and the evil. It's a place of endless torment, torture and unimaginable suffering.

We should question one thing about hell ­ what purpose is there in torturing someone for all time and eternity? Is this any more sensible than a judge giving a murderer multiple life sentences, instead of just putting them out of their misery and saving taxpayers millions of dollars housing and feeding them?

We've also heard that one of the many techniques of the devil is to make everything go well in your life. Then right at the most joyful moment in your life, he pulls in that rope around your neck with a big yank.

So, what's the difference between up here and "down there?" Hasn't life on Earth become somewhat equivalent to hell? We'll explore that possibility further.

Our planet is the most beautiful place around in light years. It's a blue marble floating in a solar system full of boiling hot, freezing cold or acid-filled planets. Our planet is filled with countless, amazing plant and animal species, many of which only now science is beginning to discover. Sunsets and sunrises which are always different, the feeling of a warm spring wind blowing on your face, the sound of songbirds singing and bringing in a new day.

Earth is supposed to be a beautiful place made just for human beings to enjoy.

The worst suffering on Earth is rarely seen in person, but it's always felt in the soul. It's the sound of a patient in a hospital emergency room crying out in pain. Or a family weeping for a loved one who has passed away. Or a parent who suddenly learns they are jobless without a safety net, because their safety net was torn asunder by the economy and they have children to feed.

Men and women are utterly terrified about how they will put gasoline in their vehicle, keep the heat and lights on, keep a roof over their family's head and put food on the table. It's a repeat of 1929 all over again, but this time it will last far longer.

Countless adults live with the terror of having a process server pound on their door and serve them with a summons or judgment for medical bills that can't possibly pay. Hospitals may save your life, but they are well known to be the most aggressive bill collectors on Earth when it comes to medical bills.

I've been through everything mentioned above, and know how much it hurts.

Some of the worst misery we will ever experience will be caused by invisible, intangible forces. Even a broken arm doesn't compare to numerous invisible sources of torture.

There are elected leaders that squeeze the same people who put into office threatening them with bold statements such as, "You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists." And a brand new President, who only seconds after supposedly being sworn in spends the next half-hour ranting on how bad things are, and how they will only be getting worse. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.

Since up until now he has kept the plan for change under wraps, one can only assume it will be more hell on Earth.

And so Earth was made as a beautiful place just for human beings to enjoy. So who in their right mind can identify suffering with "joy?" Perhaps only someone who enjoys punishment for something they didn't do in the first place?

Christians will immediately raise the hair on the back of their necks upon reading or hearing this, and respond with something like "You don't understand. We're here to be tested and tried and we must resist the devil and his devices." Perhaps there is a certain measure of truth to this.

When parents stood over a coffin of a 16 year old beaten to death by a gang while simply walking to work, his Christian parents looked down at the lifeless body and declared, "It was his time to die." I heard this in person and was appalled. Apparently logic doesn't apply to needless suffering.

Indeed, IF it was this young man's time to die, then that logically means the killers were sanctioned by God. If this theory is carried to its logical conclusion, then the young man's murderers cannot be held accountable before God.

When God did not stop Stalin, Lenin, or Hitler (or Bush) was He sanctioning them to be His killers? Of course, we're not privy to that information. We're just the monkeys that don't deserve to know why countless millions were exterminated and God never stepped in. But the fact remains he didn't step in. So therefore, the killing of millions was sanctioned.

The more you think about this, the worse the ramifications are. Are sanctioned genocidal killers any different than a sanctioned small gang taking the life of one innocent man? Perhaps the parents were right ­ maybe it was the boy's time to die. If so, then God cannot be the parent's friend. Think about that.

It has often been said, "You cannot know good without evil." Even a blind man can see evil is winning the battle here "above ground" by a long shot, whether by design or not. Millions of people have uttered billions of prayers looking for help, but the situation is getting worse, not better. Surely millions were praying in the last century when the aforementioned killers were in business. Maybe the line was busy?

None of this is meant to declare that God doesn't exist. But looking at the agony, misery and suffering everywhere on Earth today, it's safe to say He just doesn't get involved and stop it. Earth really isn't the nice place we were meant to enjoy, and instead it's more like a version of hell with window dressing.

We are to simply shut up and suffer. Or be like the man in the film "Animal House" who is on all fours in the basement of a frat house. He is getting paddled in his underwear and with each hit of the paddle yells out, "Thank you sir, may I have another."

In fact, it gets worse as the entire world is led astray by world leaders. They are digging a deeper and deeper hole for humanity. Yet few seem to address or consider this issue. At least one prophecy about the last days appears to be correct ­ right shall be wrong and wrong shall be right. This has indeed happened, as the public now gravitates toward everything that destroys the family, and shuns and laughs at anything that promotes family unity.

Perhaps all of us have already died and we don't realize we're in hell already?

Doctors only try to help after you're sick. Police officers only show up after you're robbed. It's up to each of us to pull ourselves out of the quick-sand of hell, and hold those accountable that put us there. Only then can we move forward.

Ted Twietmeyer

http://www.rense.com/general84/arewe.htm

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25