Community > Posts By > Arminius

Arminius's photo
Mon 03/08/21 01:17 PM
Well, I did have an experimental, orbital restaurant at one point.

The critics were merciless, however.

They said it 'lacked atmosphere.'

[Bah dump dump. tish!]

Arminius's photo
Fri 01/08/21 07:50 PM
This site is not unlike exchanging messages in bottles. [long lag time... I don't visit very often.]

It's been a long slog even to get where I am now, having gone through about 10 distros (Linux Lite, Lubuntu, Chalet, Peppermint, Mint, Puppy, MX, AntiX, Q4OS, LXLE and now SparkyLinux). I am limited because I am trying to keep the installs very light, as I am trying to revive older hardware. This limits your options and even middleweight install can choke an older machine.

Results: Q4OS is fast and light and easily made to look akin to Windows (see XPQ4), but device recognition (WiFi cards, webcams, etc...) is a royal pain. Debian is like that.

SparkyLinux, also Debian-based, comes in different DE's and I'm trying Xfce, which themes easily, but once again, device recognition is an issue.

LXLE (a re-spin of LXDE) is fast and light, easy on the eyes. It is Ubuntu-based so device recognition is much better than Debian. Downside, you'd better get used to a Linux-looking desktop, because the menus, icons and taskbars don't like to move off the default. Basically, load it and take it as it is. If you can live with that, it looks okay in Trinity.

Best so far (with a more powerful machine, 64 bit, twin cores, more RAM), is Cinnamon. Really pretty, not slow.

LINUX IS A LOT OF WORK.

Arminius's photo
Tue 12/22/20 05:14 PM
Given all the foregoing, here's a request to those who code the page.

I see there is already code in search results for "click here and you will never see that profile again." (X in the upper R/H corner of the profile box).

Bingo.

It should be a simple matter to include that X Utility in "Profiles You Might Be Interested In."

That would be very nice to have.

When you log in, the program pulls up your profile and a corresponding block list. That's how software works, amIright?

It's just an idea and a request.

While I'm making a request, how about a search utility that sorts by distance from a given ZIP code.

Yes, I know M2 *supposedly* has one, (and I've used it), but from the actual search results, it seems more a placebo rather than something real. Kinda like a steering wheel on the kiddie rides.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Arminius's photo
Tue 12/22/20 12:26 PM
"When is the best time to let go someone."

When, like Arnold Schwarzenegger, you are holding them up by one ankle over a precipice. And then you say, in an Austrian warble:

"You know how I told you how, if I caught you, I'd let you go... ?"

THAT is the best time.

Do it with style.

Arminius's photo
Mon 12/21/20 05:54 PM
I s'pose I have to do everything myself, since this forum is overrun with Cliff Clavins (you know, that guy on CHEERS, who would intone in a thick Bostonian: "It's a know fact that....").

The answer IS in your settings.

1) Check the age of the offending (Lips and Hooves) profiles' age;

2) In BASIC SEARCH, modify the age / search range below the L&H profile(s).

3) Problem solved.

Of course, if the SEARCH settings were tweaked to permit the user *not* to see a specific profile, that would permit a more surgical approach.

Arminius's photo
Mon 12/21/20 03:51 PM
Yes, there IS still love out there, but now it's cash only, no personal checks.

Arminius's photo
Mon 12/21/20 03:47 PM
Yay Cat in Idaho!

You win todays "Captain Obvious Award."

Now that doesn't answer the question, does it?

Settings.

How to.

Call of the question and all that.

Arminius's photo
Mon 12/21/20 03:10 PM
Edited by Arminius on Mon 12/21/20 03:11 PM
Well, M2, thanks for offering the free service.

It's said, you get what you pay for, but I'm wondering if it can't be tweaked just a tad.

There is certainly a wide range of people who've signed up online looking for love (more or less). Some look gorgeous and even too good to be true. Most look like everyday people, but for SOME reason what M2 has been putting in my "People You Might Be Interested In" feed are the lips and hooves of the singles world.

Is there a way that I can NOT see certain profiles or change what M2 is feeding me via their "People You Might Be Interested In" ?

[Lumbergh, from OFFICE SPACE, saying]

"If you could do that, it'd be just greatttt...."

Arminius's photo
Fri 12/11/20 06:51 PM
"You know what's on my mind right now? It ain't the coffee in my kitchen..."

Arminius's photo
Fri 07/31/20 05:35 PM
Back in the late 1980's through 2000 I worked in different aspects of government and private industry in telecom security.

Initially the focus was protecting telecommunications from interception and other forms of interference (blocking, spoofing, etc...).

But the tenor changed, at least became more openly hostile to the domestic side of the house with the ascent of the Clinton administration. (But long before this, the American public had been warned of the dangers of the Military- Industrial Complex, by no less a personage than an outgoing US president).

I saw this myself, reflected in a plethora of government domestic spying programs which openly flouted the Constitutional protections of privacy: ECHELON, CARNIVORE, NSA KEY, MAGIC LANTERN, ESCROW KEY and many more.

The Left (who were behind a lot of these illegal domestic spying programs) responded with ridicule ("Woo woo whacko, Conspiracy Theories, Tinfoil Hat"). The Readership is invited to look up Operation Mockingbird.

Fast forward a couple decades and Snowden discloses a tremendous amount of information as to actual government (and Unconstitutional) domestic spying programs, such as STINGRAY and PRISM. Essentially, the folks who distrusted government were right all along, and the Leftists who argued vociferously from abject ignorance were wrong.

Worst yet, there were those in the know, like the Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, who knew, and directed such domestic spying programs, and lied under oath to Congress.

These are established facts. If people have doubts, it's very likely legitimate concerns about a government, combined with a huge corporate complex who have nothing but contempt for privacy and the welfare of the American people.

This distrust is well-deserved.

I don't know all that much about 5G, but I don't dismiss the concerns others have expressed about it. The denials seem to be coming from the same quarters as the earlier denials about illegal governmental domestic spying.

The shrill tenor of those denials only tend to make me think it's 1998 all over again.

Arminius's photo
Fri 06/19/20 01:20 AM
There are several paranormal programs on TV, for example, PARANORMAL CAUGHT ON CAMERA, DEAD FILES and a raft of others. Two episodes in recent memory dealt with Succubi, and the victim / witness would describe what was taking place:

Intense dream. Beautiful woman who changes into an ugly and menacing creature. I don't recall any mention of coitus, but there is being held down and drained of energy.

One of the videos was a night vision of the male victim and his wife sleeping. Items were being swept off the night stand and shortly thereafter, the man struggling in his sleep.

This is not to say it's true, and perhaps a hoax by an attention-ho.

But the bottom line is, it's probably NOT a good experience. Most likely something Nancy Pelosi's husband underwent, but with Nancy.

Arminius's photo
Fri 04/24/20 01:07 AM
Nearly four dozen within 5 days, deactivated, within a 50 mile radius?

A contact filter that doesn't work at all?

Well, like you say. I shouldn't complain. You get what you pay for (this is a free account). I wonder how those who have paid feel?

Arminius's photo
Fri 04/24/20 12:52 AM
Edited by Arminius on Fri 04/24/20 12:57 AM
It seems bizarre but when I first signed up there were a fair few of suitable local matches, who seem to have disappeared from my search results.

In the meantime, I am being inundated by what appear to be distant fake accounts, and I have no interest in distance accounts, much less fake ones. This took place in the space of five days or less.

NOTE: I have used, from the very beginning, the "filter" which limits first, incoming messages to those from a certain distance. Well, that's a spectacular failure.

Arminius's photo
Fri 04/17/20 02:12 AM
I've been refurbishing and giving away desktops and laptops (and recently a surface tablet) for some years now. But Win 7 support has ended, the manufacturers have taken their drivers offline and so I am exploring Linux to give older hardware a second lease on life.

It looks like LXLE 18.08.3 is the best distro for that purpose and now I'm in the process of configurating the panels to look like Windows.

It's a LOT of work.

Arminius's photo
Tue 04/14/20 11:31 AM
This is a "MEETUP" group. Look them up online and think about participating.

Arminius's photo
Sat 04/11/20 05:20 AM
After several career changes, I've determined that anytime I want a particular sector of the economy to collapse, just take time out, go back to school and get trained in that specialty.

Works every time.

I don't dare take coding. They'd offshore it all to India as soon as my first student loan payment was due.