Community > Posts By > AllenAqua

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 10/04/10 05:57 AM
awww...ohwell

That's a tough one to deal with Tanya. They say being a parent is the hardest job in the world but in every aspect, the hardest thing is coping with the fact that eventually they leave home. You're a long ways away from that stage with him only being seven but I guess you got a taste of it already.
My girls were both "daddy's girls" until around the age of thirteen. That's when boys started noticing them. At that point they began getting all prissy (lol) and stopped wanting to help me work on the car or go fishing so much.tears

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 10/03/10 04:48 PM

I'd say all bets are off until you've met in person, and even then, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

The best you can do is be worthwhile in the sense that someone will desire you...

jmo but it works for me...

Never count your chicks..... blah blah blah....

Often times, online connections are based off of assumptions and expectations....

If you get to the part where you actually meet in person, it's best to treat it as the very first time talking and meeting that person despite hours spent online/text/phone/etc.

The mental and emotional connections made online.... may or may not translate in real life.

ohwell Online dating is more challenging than dating in person, imo.

Yes Tanya, I agree wholeheartedly...

(((Tanya)))flowerforyou

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 10/03/10 10:39 AM
No... I take people at their word until they give me a reason not to...

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 10/03/10 10:37 AM
I'd say all bets are off until you've met in person, and even then, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

The best you can do is be worthwhile in the sense that someone will desire you...

jmo but it works for me...

AllenAqua's photo
Tue 09/28/10 09:47 PM

You should all understand that this law is for law abiding people to be able to protedt themselves. If you were a woman who had to drive an hour to work through undesirable or vast areas you would want to be sure you had some safety factor if you broke down or were assaulted by a vehicle of young thugs like was attempted on my mother and sister in law. But you gat to work and your not allowed to have you gun locked in your car, then what do you do?

You drive in unsafe areas or have no back up for an unsafe event because other people don't want you to be able to protect yourself.

Do you really think a felon,criminal,thug or anyone else gives a **** about laws ?????

If all the guns in the world vanished you would be stabbed..

If all the knives in the world vanished you would be beat with a bat...

No more bates, the fruing pans come out of the cubbards and we're all getting racked up side the head with a cornbread skillet...

It doesn't end for the bad apple so you better step up and support the second ammendment that was almost taken away from us from people who think we're all too stupid to think for ourselves..

I don't know about you but I don't want to be a victim of someone elses wants....

Just a thought....

Well said...

AllenAqua's photo
Sun 09/26/10 08:18 AM
Best wishes, thoughts & prayers for you and your parents. I know from experience how gut wrenching it all can be...

flowerforyou

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 06:27 PM

Not the man featured in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vawa2t1m5kI

Enjoy!

rofl

Priceless!

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 11:32 AM
I don't think it's rude to not respond to an email from a stranger.

Why would it be so? Common courtesy might be called for if it was from an acquaintance perhaps, but a random stranger? No... It's only prudent at worst...

During summers in highschool, I had a small yard care thing going on for extra spending money. In the fall I'd go door to door at the houses in my nieghborhood that obviously needed their leaves raked. More often than not I'd at least get a "no thank you" if my service wasn't wanted, but there was this one lady who taught me a life lesson when after I'd rung her doorbell three times, she EXPLODED at the door giving me what for and making sure that I understood to NEVER knock or ring more than once...

I got the lesson and it has served me well...

She wasn't being rude by any stretch... I was the rude one...

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 11:10 AM
Edited by AllenAqua on Mon 09/13/10 11:11 AM
Hate is a useless and counter productive emotion. It always stems from fear and doesn't require introspection in any profound way.

Instead of spending my limited time on earth hating and despising folks for their views, creeds, skin color or religion, I think I'd rather enjoy and encourage others to enjoy the diversity that makes life interesting.

It's only by random happenstance that I wasn't born a Muslim, a Jew, African American, or anything else that people love to hate in this country.

When I was growing up, it was the Communist who were demonized, no matter their sincere motivations or true intentions. Now it's the Islamic faiths, no matter theirs...

If you want to spend your life blaming and hating, that's your prerogative in a free society, but when you incite others to follow your prejudices with spiteful hurtful actions, you're not only being small minded and sophomoric, you're also sowing what you'll eventually reap.

Or... You can choose to be the bigger person and teach by example...

jmo

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 10:37 AM

It's been my experance that about 99 times out of 100 you absolutly can judge a book by it's cover. Junkies look like junkies, hookers look like hookers and bankers look like bankers. There are exceptions, but most of the time the rule holds true.

Fair enough, but it's been my experience that almost nothing is what it appears to be on the surface.

As for the original question, I don't give a flip about impressing strangers and I'm glad that I don't categorize folks by what they're wearing.

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 10:11 AM

I don't think clothes say anything much about who we are really...

It's all just wrapping...

You can wrap a chest full of diamonds and gold in plain brown paper, the same as you can wrap a box of dog excrement in silk and lace...

I believe that it's principles and values that "make" the man, not his wardrobe...

I agree. However, people cannot see those things. I could be the most upstanding man in the world, but if I dress like a crook, I'll be looked upon as a crook bt anyone that doesn't already know me.

We all make judgments about what people look like. We can't help it, it's part of being human. If dressing one way puts people off and dressing another way draws them in, why not dress in a way to get the results you are looking for?

And the opposite is true, I'm sure you'll agree... Dress a crook like a prince but he's still a crook.

I have no problem with fashion per se, I just don't care about catering to others superficial sensibilities.

I don't agree that "we all make judgments about what people look like". Some look beyond outward contrivances.

Right, I'm human, not a peacock...

My opinion is that if one is "put off", based simply on an appearance which doesn't jibe with what they consider stylish, that's not someone that I want to know... It tells me way more about their central core values than what they're wearing at the moment.

It's fine to dress in whichever way makes you feel good but judging others by their covers is often a mistake.

Personally, I'm much more impressed by the greasy mechanic who can help me get back on the road, or the frumpy nurse that's adept at CPR, than I've ever been with someone who knows all the latest trends in footwear or whatever.

But it's a fashion over function society, I do agree on that much...

imo

Your point about the mechanic is a good one. Who would you trust more? A mechinac wearing gressy coveralls in a shop that looks disorganized shop or one that LOOKED like he knew what he was doing by having his tools in order and was wearing mostly clean clothes? Assuming you hadn't already met him.

All the best mechanics I've known may have had dirty hands, but otherwise were pretty clean.

I understand your point, I just don't personally give it much weight.
Your point is that outward appearance is often a gauge that's useful in determining the value of an individual. My point is that that method is often flawed.

I've been ripped off by mechanics that seemingly have all their tools organized and a clean & neat work area and outward appearance.

I was duped, in a way, by that illusion.

For contrast, I want to mention another time... I was driving across country from California to Tennessee once and was on a shoe string budget. I had gas, food & emergency funds but that was it.
In Kingman Arizona I stopped for gas and a snack. While filling up a young fella approached me in his tattered jeans & t-shirt. He had a dufflebag and a ratty old guitar case. He said hello, introduced himself as "Jody" and explained that he'd been trying to get a ride east for two days. He said that if I could possibly give him a ride up to the next town at least, it might break his bad luck.

I'm not advocating picking up strangers on the highway but I'm glad I looked past his road grimy exterior appearance because Jody and I not only had a blast on the trip, but once I got him home in Arkansas his family was so gracious and welcoming that I can't say I've ever known better folks.

After more than twenty years, Jody and I are still great friends.

BTW, Jody is a decorated war vet. He's well respected in his community as a substance abuse counselor and business leader, and he's been married to my sister for 19 years.
His oldest daughter (my niece) will be graduating from the University of Tennessee next year.

So much for first impressions...

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 09:21 AM

You can wrap a chest full of diamonds and gold in plain brown paper, the same as you can wrap a box of dog excrement in silk and lace...

I believe that it's principles and values that "make" the man, not his wardrobe...

I agree. However, people cannot see those things. I could be the most upstanding man in the world, but if I dress like a crook, I'll be looked upon as a crook bt anyone that doesn't already know me.

We all make judgments about what people look like. We can't help it, it's part of being human. If dressing one way puts people off and dressing another way draws them in, why not dress in a way to get the results you are looking for?

And the opposite is true, I'm sure you'll agree... Dress a crook like a prince but he's still a crook.

I have no problem with fashion per se, I just don't care about catering to others superficial sensibilities.

I don't agree that "we all make judgments about what people look like". Some look beyond outward contrivances.

Right, I'm human, not a peacock...

My opinion is that if one is "put off", based simply on an appearance which doesn't jibe with what they consider stylish, that's not someone that I want to know... It tells me way more about their central core values than what they're wearing at the moment.

It's fine to dress in whichever way makes you feel good but judging others by their covers is often a mistake.

Personally, I'm much more impressed by the greasy mechanic who can help me get back on the road, or the frumpy nurse that's adept at CPR, than I've ever been with someone who knows all the latest trends in footwear or whatever.

But it's a fashion over function society, I do agree on that much...

imo

AllenAqua's photo
Mon 09/13/10 08:00 AM

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:54 PM

Not crushing but I do agree that there are plenty of worthy prospects on the site and in the forums...:smile:

Ok that made me chuckle. Worthy prospects? Reminds me of the epsisode of Andy Griffith were Barney invited all the women in town over for Andy to check out.........laugh Don't mind me.......smokin

Well, I suppose I could'a said "hawt babes", but I didn't want to leave anyone without hope, ya know???:thumbsup:

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:49 PM

I pretty much know why I'm single. I'm okay with it, and if anything changes, I'll be okay with that too. Either way, I win :smile:

That's my point! Good job :thumbsup:

It's an insight that wasn't always available to me. It took asking the BIG question...(what is it exactly that I sincerely want in life?)

After thoughtful introspection, the answer came back "to be happy", and then realizing that no one's stopping me happy

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:42 PM
I pretty much know why I'm single. I'm okay with it, and if anything changes, I'll be okay with that too. Either way, I win :smile:

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:38 PM
Not crushing but I do agree that there are plenty of worthy prospects on the site and in the forums...:smile:

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:32 PM
Hi waving

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:18 PM
waving Hey there !

AllenAqua's photo
Thu 09/09/10 08:17 PM
:thumbsup:

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25