Community > Posts By > NatureLoverr

NatureLoverr's photo
Sun 07/29/12 08:05 PM

This reminds me of the time I rescued three mockingbird eggs from an abandoned nest. One of the eggs wasn't even fertilized, so I kept only the two of them. I used stuff from around the house to make my own incubator, and luckily my dad had a laser thermometer which I used to make sure the temperature was always perfect. The incubator actually worked and they hatched (: But unfortunately they died a week later. one died from being weak, and the other died from food backing up and blocking the airway. The first time it happened, I quickly got a tissue and cleared the airway. But the second time it happened during my sleep and I wasn't there to save it :\

Over feeding is also a bad problem. You need to remember this is a tiny creature and proportionally only requires maybe three or four grains of rice (in size) in amount each feeding with baby Sparrows. Mocking or Catbirds likewise only need about a 1/4 square inch (6mm sq) of food if that each feeding when they are hatchlings. It is best to leave them just a touch hungry with each feeding. It helps cut down on regurgitation. Too bad your Mockingbirds didn't make it. They are super smart for a bird. I love it when they dive bomb cats and crows!

Another thing they need is copious hydration. With each feeding make sure it gets water a few minuets after it is fed. I know some experts prefer to actually water before feeding which makes sense to me. And one thing baby birds need is some physical contact too. They stress like hell when hungry and alone. They make needy children seem independent. the Starling I raised went bezerk when it heard me coming but was silent as death when I was gone. It made a particular squalling sound when it was hungry which was all the time. When it was fed it balled up in its nest. Those are not too bright for a bird. My Sparrow was smarter and cooler. A good beginner bird is a pigeon! Those are easy to raise. And if treated properly they ALWAYS come back.

Yeah, fed them about that amount through a very small syringe, but perhaps I fed more often than I should of, I'm not sure. I fed them around every half hour, and stayed with them constantly. Rather than feeding them water separately, I put water in the food, which I read online that it's actually better and safer to do that.
After the mockingbirds died I was so disappointed, so I got a green-rumped parrotlet and named him Kiwi (: I had him for a year now. He knows how to say his name haha.

Haha there was this one time we had a mockingbird nest in our crab apple tree in the front of the house, and anytime we tried to cross to go to the car, it would dive bomb us xD

I want to share pictures of the baby mockingbirds. Do I need to use an image code to make it show up?

Yep, overfeeding. The shortest interval of feeding is hummingbirds. Normally every hour to two hours is sufficient for most small bird species.

Have you finger trained Kiwi? Finger trainging is an art of patience with birds that are not hand raised.

Oh :\ I fed them around every half hour since I read that baby mockingbirds should be fed every 20 minutes to a half hour.
I bought Kiwi from a very reputable breeder, so he was already finger trained. He's very sweet (:

NatureLoverr's photo
Sun 07/29/12 08:47 AM

This reminds me of the time I rescued three mockingbird eggs from an abandoned nest. One of the eggs wasn't even fertilized, so I kept only the two of them. I used stuff from around the house to make my own incubator, and luckily my dad had a laser thermometer which I used to make sure the temperature was always perfect. The incubator actually worked and they hatched (: But unfortunately they died a week later. one died from being weak, and the other died from food backing up and blocking the airway. The first time it happened, I quickly got a tissue and cleared the airway. But the second time it happened during my sleep and I wasn't there to save it :\

Over feeding is also a bad problem. You need to remember this is a tiny creature and proportionally only requires maybe three or four grains of rice (in size) in amount each feeding with baby Sparrows. Mocking or Catbirds likewise only need about a 1/4 square inch (6mm sq) of food if that each feeding when they are hatchlings. It is best to leave them just a touch hungry with each feeding. It helps cut down on regurgitation. Too bad your Mockingbirds didn't make it. They are super smart for a bird. I love it when they dive bomb cats and crows!

Another thing they need is copious hydration. With each feeding make sure it gets water a few minuets after it is fed. I know some experts prefer to actually water before feeding which makes sense to me. And one thing baby birds need is some physical contact too. They stress like hell when hungry and alone. They make needy children seem independent. the Starling I raised went bezerk when it heard me coming but was silent as death when I was gone. It made a particular squalling sound when it was hungry which was all the time. When it was fed it balled up in its nest. Those are not too bright for a bird. My Sparrow was smarter and cooler. A good beginner bird is a pigeon! Those are easy to raise. And if treated properly they ALWAYS come back.

Yeah, fed them about that amount through a very small syringe, but perhaps I fed more often than I should of, I'm not sure. I fed them around every half hour, and stayed with them constantly. Rather than feeding them water separately, I put water in the food, which I read online that it's actually better and safer to do that.
After the mockingbirds died I was so disappointed, so I got a green-rumped parrotlet and named him Kiwi (: I had him for a year now. He knows how to say his name haha.

Haha there was this one time we had a mockingbird nest in our crab apple tree in the front of the house, and anytime we tried to cross to go to the car, it would dive bomb us xD

I want to share pictures of the baby mockingbirds. Do I need to use an image code to make it show up?

NatureLoverr's photo
Sat 07/28/12 08:00 PM

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 10:11 PM
Did you not check the fridge for more first before asking?

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 10:09 PM
You'll never win... shades

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 05:01 PM
Coming from the view of an 18 year old, I would say to do her a favor and say no. You'll do her much better in life by teaching her not to do what all her friends are doing. I may be young, but I know how those kind of people grow up to be. Life with friends is very short compared to life in the real world.

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 04:53 PM
Of course a parent has the right, but they should at least inform the kid before invading their privacy, or else they will grow to never trust their parents and be more secretive and careful about hiding things. My mom never invaded my privacy, so I never felt like I had to hide anything from her. She only invaded my privacy once though, which was checking my internet history. She was so surprised that my history was completely clean and innocent, so she trusts me and doesn't feel like she has to invade my privacy. It should be that way with your kid as well.

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 04:47 PM
Rather than putting an age limit on their dating, it's better to talk to and inform them about how to have good judgement in dating. It will help them much better in life to know who is the right kind of person to date, rather than making them grow up resentful that they couldn't date so-and-so when they were younger, and lacking good dating morals.

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 04:43 PM
I'm only 18, but I figured I would get my opinion out anyway.
When I was younger, I would just clean my room when I was told. No techniques or anything. Now I clean it on my own, although it hardly ever gets messy. I have to say I agree with oldsage to an extent. It's really about how well the parent does at teaching the kid decency.

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 04:29 PM
That would never happen to me since I would never chose someone willing to do something as disloyal as that in the first place.

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 04:26 PM
A guy in army uniform has always been a turn on for me.

NatureLoverr's photo
Fri 07/27/12 04:18 PM
Well, being honest, here are the positives and negatives about your profile from my point of view, which is very different from most lol.

Positives: Boating, hunting, fishing, height, Christian, athletic, doesn't smoke. Also I always like to see profiles of people wanting someone who won't hurt them, because I'm the kind of girl who would never hurt the guy she chooses.

Negatives: Drinks often, and already has kids. Also I've never really been a fan of the typical 'loves sports and working out' kind of guy

Another suggestion is to be a little more descriptive in your 'about me' I noticed how a lot of the guys on here hardly tell anything about themselves. I like profiles that go more into depth about them, so that I know what I'm looking at.

NatureLoverr's photo
Thu 07/26/12 07:17 PM
I'm very friendly and approachable. However, I would be less approachable if the one approaching me creeps me out lol.

NatureLoverr's photo
Thu 07/26/12 09:04 AM
I would really like to meet a decent guy on here that shares my similarities.

NatureLoverr's photo
Thu 07/26/12 08:57 AM
Looking for a decent guy...

NatureLoverr's photo
Wed 07/25/12 06:18 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! (:

NatureLoverr's photo
Wed 07/25/12 06:14 PM

There's a ton of things I haven't done xD
But relating to the topic, I've never kissed a guy. I insist on saving me first kiss for the guy I know I'll spend the rest of my life with (:

Ah, but how do you think you will recognize him among a legion of toads?

'toads' haha xD
And that's why I get to know a guy first. I'm certain that once I get to know whoever he'll be, that I'll know he is meant for me.
As you can tell, I'm one of those 'true love' kind of people x)

NatureLoverr's photo
Wed 07/25/12 06:00 PM
There's a ton of things I haven't done xD
But relating to the topic, I've never kissed a guy. I insist on saving me first kiss for the guy I know I'll spend the rest of my life with (:

NatureLoverr's photo
Wed 07/25/12 05:27 PM
Hello everyone. I just made an account, so I would like to know what you guys all rate my profile.

NOTE: I know my description is long, and I'm keeping it that way xD

NatureLoverr's photo
Wed 07/25/12 05:20 PM
I'm new, so just thought I'd take a moment to say hello. So.... hello :D